• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schedule E

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to wrap up taxes on my rentals. If I own at one resort and rented out at another how do I document it? Can I just put Wyndham vacation resorts as the property I own? Help! I need direction on how to fill it out.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had this same conversation with another tugger this past week. We decided schedule E was not right for our needs. we went straight to schedule C

on the top of chedule E it says that if your business is renting personal property then Schedule C is for you

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Schedule E is fine if you are just renting casually (I have used it in the past for the two or three rentals I've done in seven years of owning.) If it is anything approaching a business, you want Schedule C.

I can't help you with how, though; I use TurboTax.

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
He used schedule E, but we will do more research for next year. He insists that Schedule C is for rental property other than housing and that it is
for property such as lawn mowers or boats and such.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
He used schedule E, but we will do more research for next year. He insists that Schedule C is for rental property other than housing and that it is
for property such as lawn mowers or boats and such.

The problem with schedule e is that it wants a separate form for each rental property. With my points often the reservation is made at one resort with points from another. How ya gonna enter that? Add to that the fact that club Wyndham access and world mark are not deeded. Schedule e is clearly not right for them

So I simplify things on schedule c. Line 1 is gross receipts line 21 is mf. I subtract one from the other and move the result to my 1040
I also add a note to explain what I've done
Is this the right way? Maybe not but it accurately reports my income and expenses to the irs. I think thats all they really want

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Schedule C is correct Ron, you have a small business. Report gross receipts and expenses, don't forget other deductible expenses like advertising and office equipment, there is also an easy way to report home office by sq footage this year. Review IRS pub for Schedule C for full list.

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with schedule e is that it wats a separate form for each rental property with my points often the reservation is made at one resort with points from another. How ya gonna enter that add to that the fact that club Wyndham access and world mark are not deeded schedule e is clearly not right for them

So I simplify things on schedule c. Line 1 is gross receipts line 21 is mf. I subtract one from the other and move the result to my 1040
I also add a note to explain what I've done
Is this the right way? Maybe not but it accurately reports my income and expensed a to the irs

Well, Yeah, we couldn't figure it out at first but he ended up filling it all out.. There was space for three so we had room to fit what we needed. Can you let me know how it works out for you. If it does, we will use it next year because it is complicated to list all of those figures. I did find on some websites where it does say that schedule is for rental of vacation property. So, that is correct. The forms and directions are hard to decipher sometimes.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Schedule C is correct Ron, you have a small business. Report gross receipts and expenses, don't forget other deductible expenses like advertising and office equipment, there is also an easy way to report home office by sq footage this year. Review IRS pub for Schedule C for full list.

and the phone and the and the internet connection and my tug and redweek membership and my membership in the Florida Timeshare owners group etc etc

My rental business isactually pretty simple (getting big, but still simple) and It piggy backs on my realestate business

My real job is as a real estate agent where Im organized as a P.A. and S corp.
Ive been doing the home office deduction with a whole host of advertising and office equipment and supplies and automobile deductions for a long time. Ive always done the home office as 1 room in a 6 room house, or 16%. I was audited once over 30 years ago. They accepted it then, so I kept doing it

Maybe my real estate sales business should charge my vacation rental business rent. I do have two desks in here.