• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a Resale - Seller Up-to-date with MF Fees

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a TS resale, I would 'assume' that the seller would have to be up-to-date on their MF fees... and if they were not, would they even be able to sell their TS? And if they are able to sell, how does this impact the buyer responsibility?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Usually, the MF's will have to be brought up to date before the resort will transfer the deed. That's one of the reasons you want to get an estoppel letter before you complete your purchase.

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

And so if a seller is saying that a buyer must pay the 2014 MF fees, might this mean that they have not been paid for 2014... or maybe the seller wants to be reimbursed for the MF fee they have already paid for the year?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thank you!

And so if a seller is saying that a buyer must pay the 2014 MF fees, might this mean that they have not been paid for 2014... or maybe the seller wants to be reimbursed for the MF fee they have already paid for the year?

You'd have to ask, and then get the estoppel letter to verify.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just remember that some sellers don't really know what they are doing, some don't have all the facts, and some don't tell the truth, so verify everything independently.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

It could mean either thing. If the fees have not been paid, the buyer will have to pay them during the closing process. If they were already paid, the buyer will still pay them during closing, but to the seller. You just need to mentally add that fee to the sales price. Let the closing company deal with dividing it all up.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
In a TS resale, I would 'assume' that the seller would have to be up-to-date on their MF fees... and if they were not, would they even be able to sell their TS? And if they are able to sell, how does this impact the buyer responsibility?

Thanks!

Don't assume anything.

There is nothing stopping me from selling you my timeshare for which I'm not up to date on my MF payments unless the resort has started foreclosure proceedings.

Of course Denise is correct, the resort won't recognize the transfer into your name until you pay the delinquent amount.

On a recent purchase I was able to find someone at the resort to assure me the fees were current without her divulging any ownership info to me.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many resorts that will transfer ownership with past due fees. I had one transferred recently but the resort kindly credited the late fee.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many resorts that will transfer ownership with past due fees. I had one transferred recently but the resort kindly credited the late fee.

I would question the legally of BOD doing that. While if prior owner is judgment proof and BOD wants to get unit back on the active paying rolls then a bad debt.

But if error made in transfer then really not fair to stiff other owners.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would question the legally of BOD doing that. While if prior owner is judgment proof and BOD wants to get unit back on the active paying rolls then a bad debt.

But if error made in transfer then really not fair to stiff other owners.

I think the difference might be when usage begins. This particular unit took almost 10 months to transfer, and ended up being the wrong resort but that's another matter. Contractually my usage was supposed to begin 2014 and I was supposed to be responsible for the 2014 fees, but due to so many errors and mix-ups nobody knew what unit it was so it ended up being late due to no fault of mine.

That said, Marriott will transfer a unit with a past due fee regardless when the new owner's usage begins. I have had this happen and received the standard Marriott transfer letter but it had an extra paragraph regarding the past due fee. It was a template so it sure looks like it is a standard Marriott practice.