• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gay friendly timeshare resorts

E

Eric,

Is there a list of gay friendly timeshare resorts?

This is a serious question and I am not sure where to post it, but would like to inquire about timeshare properties that are friendly to alternative lifestyles.

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question! I am a happy owner of HGVC, and I have never had a problem with any properties. I go to Orlando a lot and feel very comfortable there. I am taking a group of friends next month for Gay Days at WDW (there will be seven of us), and I have a 3-Bedroom Penthouse reserved at HGVC SeaWorld (WooHoo!). It would definitely make a difference if I ever felt that I was "unwelcome" at any property, but fortunately this has not been the case.

In fact, HGVC has a property in Miami right in South Beach. It is two renovated art deco buildings across from the beach and they are fabulous. It is hard to find a neighborhood that is more "gay friendly" than that! There is even this disclaimer that pops up when booking, I thought it was funny the first time I saw it (the bolding is mine):

Please note that there is important information regarding this resort. Please read the information carefully before continuing:
Hilton Grand Vacations Club at South Beach is a non-smoking, boutique property with limited amenities, and no pool, in a cosmopolitan, liberal environment. This resort doesn’t have parking. Both self-parking (Public parking 1 black away from the resort) and valet parking at the resort are available for a fee. This is a non-smoking resort complex. We are pleased to offer shared laundry facilities on each floor. No pets are allowed.
I guess they want to warn any conservative family types that might be shocked... by what I'm not sure. lol

Now I maybe misinterpreting your question by taking it literally... if by "gay friendly" you mean "primarily gay clientele" then that is a slightly different, but equally interesting question. The only one I know of off the top of my head is The Gardens in Orlando. It's right next to Parliament House, the largest gay resort in the area (and a fun place to go on Sunday nights!). :D

Oh, and Welcome to TUG!! :cheer:

Last edited:

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Springs has a bunch of timeshares and a large population of gays live there, so you might check that out.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My partner and I have been timeshare traveling for over 10 years, and have never had a problem at any resort. The total could be getting close to 100 at this point so I won't list them.

I agree with the comment above that hopefully you would feel welcome anywhere and everywhere. Your presence could make more places become newly "gay friendly".

But if you're asking about places where more clientele would more likely be gay, I'd suggest:

Anything in Provincetown. (There are 3 resorts there, and RCI's "further information" paragraphs refer to this. One, Harbor Hill, has a large percent ownership by lesbians.).

Anything in places like SF (there are several), Key West, etc.

And last year I noticed that Marriott set up a booth to solicit timeshare sales at our local annual LGBT pride event. The salespeople who staffed it seemed quite gay friendly. :)

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
And last year I noticed that Marriott set up a booth to solicit timeshare sales at our local annual LGBT pride event. The salespeople who staffed it seemed quite gay friendly. :)
If they're sending them to a Gay Pride event, I certainly hope so! :rofl:

Seriously, I think it's great that one of the big TS names is openly courting the GLBT community. I would like to see HGVC do the same.

:cheer:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never known that issue to make a big difference at timeshares. At a resort I own at on the Outer Banks, a former HOA board member was gay, as is a woman who lives in the area and is very active in the HOA, serving as a chairman of serveral HOA committees over the years. Their lifestyles were well known to the board and did not make a difference.

Where you would run into a problem is where the attitudes of the local people are adverse to that lifestyle, as in many places in the Caribbean. I read an article about how some island governments would not let ships with gay themed cruises land on their islands, and at others where the government did not put up roadblocks, there were large ''no gay ships'' demonstrations by the local population. There are some places in eastern Europe, where your lifestyle would encounter the same problem.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
edited by moderator: this was posted by someone trying to confuse us by using a name similar to the site adminstrator. And was deleted

Um, how about a gay family?

Last edited by a moderator:

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: the post by TUGBrian. (as opposed to the administrator TugBrian without a period after his name)

While I agree that you have the right of free speech and theoretically should be allowed to post this comment, I find the deliberate creation of this screen name for this purpose to be offensive to the original Brian, as well as immature in general.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Wide Range Of Things To Be Discovered Via T. U. G. - B. B. S.

Not exactly my area of expertise -- I don't even have an area of expertise -- but as it happens I think there is 1 like that in the Orlando FL area.

Click here for the Internet link -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

geekette

Reaction score
Good catch, Irene.

To the OP, I think the list of ts that declare themselves gay-friendly would be short, because it is my belief that most resort staff really don't give a whop-finkle what the relationship among their guests is, and therefore do not feel the need to mention it at all. All are welcome. Or should be. Perhaps the question should be, What resorts treated you badly because you're gay? And I hope that would be a thread with Zero responses.

We took a trip to Las Olas Beach Club (near Cocoa Beach) last fall and there were 4 gay males travelling together. This tiny resort does a lot of planned activities onsite and everyone was welcomed.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
There can sometimes be some difficult situations. At the resort where I was on the board, there were two gay female Marines who came in as RCI renters and for about a day kept trying to flagrantly ''hit on'' the female resort manager. After trying to ignore it, she finally had to tell them firmly and directly but politely that she was not that way and did not appreciate their advances, and then tried to act professionally toward them the balance of the week. The resort also has an owner who is a gay female who lives locally and is often on the property, either using the facilities or doing volunteer work for the HOA and has never been at all out of the way with anyone and gets along well with the staff and other owners. She respects other peoples space they respect hers. The issue really comes down to the person, and one cannot stereotype.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ah, i see this gentleman is getting more creative with his name registration.

this is the same guy "vacationdude" he keeps registering with more and more usernames to harass members.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
There can sometimes be some difficult situations. At the resort where I was on the board, there were two gay female Marines who came in as RCI renters and for about a day kept trying to flagrantly ''hit on'' the female resort manager.

I am sure there have been many more situations where heterosexual men have "hit on" female resort staff:rolleyes:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure there have been many more situations where heterosexual men have "hit on" female resort staff:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. When I have my daughters with me I would much rather have a gay family, or couple next to me in my unit, or on the beach than many of the straight singles we have met :)

Has nothing to do with being straight or gay - just the individual personalities.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Um, how about a gay family?

:clap: Exactly! And what about a family with openly gay family members who might wish to vacation together? Say, for example, what if Mary Cheney and her partner wanted to celebrate son Samuel's next birthday at a resort on the beach...and say they wanted to invite Mary's dad, former Vice President Dick Cheney? Do any TUGgers think resorts would turn away a former VP of the USA because there's a gay vacationer in their travel party?

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread was started by vacationdude as a joke, but since there is some real interest I will post the only gay resort I know of.

The Gardens in Orlando is the only one I have read about.

http://www.thegardensorlando.com/

This is from the RCI web site:

Type of Units
Unit Type Sleeps Privacy
1 Bedroom 4 4
2 Bedroom 8 6

Check-in
Saturday
Check-in: 1600

Additional Information
Your luxurious vacation home is air conditioned and features telephones, TVs with digital cable and HBO, DVD/VCR and high speed Internet access as well as a whirlpool tub. Units also include a patioor balcony. Units have full kitchens withdishwashers and microwave ovens. 1BR units OCC: Max 4/Pri 4 have 2 baths, 1 king bed and 1 queen sleep sofa. 2BR units OCC: Max 8/Pri 6 have 2.5 baths 1 king bed, 2 queen beds and 1 queen sleep sofa. The resort strictly adheres to the check-in time of after 4 PM and check-out time of before 10 AM. No pets allowed. A car is recommended. Resort provides 24-hour security. Coin- operated laundry facilities are on-site. Please be advised that the Gardens Resort caters predominately to Gay and Lesbian guests, however all guests are welcome. The resort is not recommended for childrenor families because the resort ammenities are located next door at the adult only gay & lesbian resort, Parliament House. The resort's pool is scheduled to open in June of 2009. Future phases will be available in late 2009 and will offer additional amenities.
This luxurious, alternative-lifestyle, lakefront resort offers spacious South Beach-style accommodations. It is located next door to the world-renowned Parliament House, featuring five bars, a disco, a theater, multiple shops, and dining, as well as a pool and beach. Please be advised that The Gardens caters predominately to gay and lesbian guests, however all guests are welcome. Please be advised the resort is not recommended for families and children because the resort will be sharing ammenities with the Parliament House located next door until late June of 2009.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As long as they don't make it compulsory, and people don't flaunt their lifestyle (straight or otherwise) I couldn't care less what people do behind closed doors.
I don't like it when I see a couple eating each other alive whatever gender(s) they are.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Given that the timeshare industry is all about getting people to spend money, and the gay community is known to have more discretionary income than just about any other social group, I'd be surprised if there were any timeshares that were NOT gay friendly.

As to the female Marines mentioned earlier who kept hitting on the female staff member at that resort: There are inconsiderate people everywhere. That sort of behavior by anyone is out of line, and I hope the staff member was able to set them (ahem) straight.

As to a list of gay friendly resorts, (if anyone really wants to see one) I just did a test search on RCI's website under the Travel Resources tab. entering "gay" as a keyword returned five resorts:

Harbor Hill (#2164)
Provincetown, MA 02657
USA

Mullingar, Westmeath (#B066)
Mullingar,
Ireland

Sandcastle Resort (#0126)
Provincetown, MA 02657
USA

The Gardens (#7549)
Orlando, FL 32805
USA

Villa Mykonos (#5540)
Cathedral City, CA 92234
USA

Hope this helps,
Dave

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread was started by vacationdude as a joke
Is that true? How'd you know?

So if we see posts from other recently-registered TUG guests with punctuation in their TUG names, could be vacationdude eh?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Is there a list of gay friendly timeshare resorts?

This is a serious question and I am not sure where to post it, but would like to inquire about timeshare properties that are friendly to alternative lifestyles.

You can never go wrong with Key West.... the town where your plumber is gay, your hairdresser is straight, and your kid's teacher has a nosering and is named "Breeze."

And now, for some dancing bananas...:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that true? How'd you know?

So if we see posts from other recently-registered TUG guests with punctuation in their TUG names, could be vacationdude eh?

Because he sent me a PM making one of his smart aleck comments, and he referenced this thread. He has sent me several rude PM's using several different names. He has used vacationdude, eric c, and now just plain old eric. I feel sure he will PM me again in the future with a new "guest name". He either loves me or hates me, but either way he loves to send me private messages.

Last edited:

Bruce W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because he sent me a PM making one of his smart aleck comments, and he referenced this thread. He has sent me several rude PM's using several different names. He has used vacationdude, eric c, and now just plain old eric. I feel sure he will PM me again in the future with a new "guest name". He either loves me or hates me, but either way he loves to send me private messages.

How sad this person has nothing better going on in his life. I would expect that from a teenager.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Don't Feel Like A Lone Ranger.

I feel sure he will PM me again in the future with a new "guest name". He either loves me or hates me, but either way he loves to send me private messages.
Hey, I got 2 or 3 of those as well -- but I didn't read anything into it.

Then again, I'm not the sharpest scalpel in the operating room.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Four Seasons-Aviara in Carlsbad, CA, or FS Troon in Scottsdale attract tourists from all around the globe. The staff and fellow vacationers are very 'inclusive'...
also consider locations like San Fran, NYC, Vegas, most of CA, Northeast, Orlando, etc...enjoy where ever you go..:)

Last edited: