• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone own or have opinions about the Tesla Model S 85?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Just wondering.....

Keep seeing these on I-25 on our way to Colorado Springs. We saw two yesterday, which made me turn my head, and I don't care much about cars. I know the Tesla is a car you charge. I assume it uses no gas as a backup?

I would like to know personal experiences with the car. I am reading a lot from the website. Definitely intriguing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Ah..., so no one has one? I am surprised! Seems that TUG members are on top of these kinds of technologies.

I looked at the website and talked to a salesman this morning. There are tax credits and a long wait to get one. Why tax credits, if there none around? Makes no sense.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
interesting concept for sure, seems they are having some legal issues selling them as they dont use "dealerships" as I understand it...this has all the other car manufacturers in a tiff.

also thought they were upwards of 6 figure cars :lol

sure do look nice!

Reaction score
yes, they are expensive, and they do not have any gas engines (all electric). The government is pitching in a good amount. I think they only have an 80-100 mile range, so it would be an "in-town" car. Other than the price and the range, many like the idea of no gasoline used! From what some have said, they are also very comfortable to drive.

TS

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They supposedly go 265 miles or so between charges. We could drive to and from Colorado Springs to see the grandkids without charging.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With the larger available batteries range is 250-320 miles. They got a very good rating - 99 of 100 highest ever from Consumer Reports. Looks to be a really good & unique car & company. If I had the money I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Proudly Microsoft / Apple free with Droid Bionic & Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Lots of Tesla's on the roads in LA. I sat in one a while ago in a showroom, before they started shipping, and the interior is fantastic. It's no wonder it's earning all sorts of awards. The technology is amazing, and if I could afford one I would buy one instantly, and I know others who feel the same.

Tesla has a nice twist on the affordability calculator many car vendors offer on their sites, as Tesla includes savings in ways which may be appropriate for their target audience - time. Take a look at it.

I don't drive enough to justify an electric car (most I drove in a single year over the last 20 years was 9,000 miles) but I want one, anyway. Lately I'm curious about the newer BMW electrics being released soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tons of them around up here in the Seattle area.

While I think the Tesla is cool (as well as the Karma Fisker) and I've driven both, if I'm dropping 6 figures on a car, I'm buying a R8 before I buy a Tesla. :D

Different strokes, different folks. :)

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sold on everyting about the Tesla Model X, except what I expect the price will be. The $5k reservation price is fully refundable, so I am tempted to get in line and start saving $5k/month until it is ready to pay for the rest of it. ;)

I sat in the Model S this weekend. It is pretty cool too, but not for me at current pricing.

Reaction score
One small issue with electric cars. Because there's no engine sound, blind pedestrians have been known to walk out in front of them.

TS

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One small issue with electric cars. Because there's no engine sound, blind pedestrians have been known to walk out in front of them.

TS

Not just full electrics, and not just blind pedestrians. We are especially careful around any pedestrians when in our Prius. Of course at low speed it- and all hybrids are electric. People just don't hear you coming and will step out in front of you or walk behind you as you back out of a parking place.

I can't ever remember a close call with a blind person, but plenty with fully functional, able bodied dummies who don't look around themselves.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Not just full electrics, and not just blind pedestrians. We are especially careful around any pedestrians when in our Prius. Of course at low speed it- and all hybrids are electric. People just don't hear you coming and will step out in front of you or walk behind you as you back out of a parking place.

I can't ever remember a close call with a blind person, but plenty with fully functional, able bodied dummies who don't look around themselves.

Jim

How many of them were using their phones Jim? I've seen a number of people lately almost get whacked by gasoline engine autos because they were looking down at their phones.

I have read that the auto makers are going to start incorporating different sounds when their electrics are on the move. Won't help those I'm talking about.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
The model S is very nice and recently saw one in Winnipeg. I followed the guy for a few extra blocks before turning around for work! Very nice!!! My concern is that the extreme cold weather up here affects the battery - both daily operations and longevity. Oh ya, and the $$$$ as well...:rolleyes:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Jim

Or dummies driving electric cars who don't look behind them before they back up?! I was nearly run over by my neighbors while walking a the sidewalk on my street. I was not distracted, not on a cell phone, not wearing ear buds. Just walking along and they started backing up. They must have been sitting in the car for awhile because I didn't see them get in. They either didn't look or I was in their blind spot. Fortunately I am able bodied because I had to seriously scramble to avoid being run over. If I was infirm in anyway they would have run me down.

Lol, it's funny how the *other* guy is always such a nincompoop. ;)

No way would this deter me from getting a Tesla S however- totally want one. Just don't really need a new car right now and it's more than we'd really want to spend.

H

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Spending nearly $100K (for the performance model) in order to save money on gasoline doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

If I wanted to be the greenest, thriftiest person on the board, I would go with one of the 80mpg VW TDI diesel models. It's all about total impact on the environment and total cost of ownership as far as I'm concerned.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to be the greenest, thriftiest person on the board, I would go with one of the 80mpg VW TDI diesel models.

I'd love to learn more about the 80 mpg TDI diesels. I just looked at VW's web site, and they claim 43 mpg. Can you point me to a reference to the 80 mpg versions?

-Bob

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Spending nearly $100K (for the performance model) in order to save money on gasoline doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

If I wanted to be the greenest, thriftiest person on the board, I would go with one of the 80mpg VW TDI diesel models. It's all about total impact on the environment and total cost of ownership as far as I'm concerned.

I isn't just about being green. This is a car that got THE best rating ever from CR. That is saying it is something very special.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I see Teslas around here, too - they are really nice looking cars, and very quick. I would be concerned about where to get service, especially as I travel around. I read that Tesla is opening recharge stations at strategic intervals along interstates, which is a good thing. I doubt I would spend that much on one. I also think I wouldn't be happy in the lower cost options, like the Nissan Leaf. I'm thinking I'd be happier in the middle of the road, so to speak, with a Chevy Volt. I like having the gas option available if the batteries run down. I don't know, so much to think about before I make a move.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
For $70K++ for a car, I wouldn't be worrying about a CR rating. :D

Did CR have comments about battery life and replacement time? Is there a warranty on the battery pack? Since the battery is a large percentage of the cost of the car, I would hope it is a 100000 mile life at least before a replacement is required.

Cheers

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For $70K++ for a car, I wouldn't be worrying about a CR rating. :D

Did CR have comments about battery life and replacement time? Is there a warranty on the battery pack? Since the battery is a large percentage of the cost of the car, I would hope it is a 100000 mile life at least before a replacement is required.

Cheers

Battery warranty is 8yr/125k miles, or 8yr/unlimited miles, depending on which battery pack is installed.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'd love to learn more about the 80 mpg TDI diesels. I just looked at VW's web site, and they claim 43 mpg. Can you point me to a reference to the 80 mpg versions?

-Bob

I rented a VW Golf in the UK last year, prepaid the tank on advice of the rental manager when I told her where I was going, and proceeded to get ~65 miles per gallon. I only used 1/3 of the tank. Manager refunded the prepaid fuel, and I went next door (literally) to fill it up myself.

When I returned to the US, I looked up the car online and also only saw ~45 mpg vehicles. I know they make one that does more, since I drove it! A diesel is definitely on my list of considerations, along with electric, when I next purchase a car...which is likely end of year or early next year.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

What's wrong with the non-performance model? They look plenty powerful to me.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw one just yesterday in the Whole Foods parking lot in Torrance, CA.

Just a few weeks prior in the same parking lot, I saw a Fiskar Karma, which was much cooler looking and much more rare.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
What's wrong with the non-performance model? They look plenty powerful to me.

Fine, spending $65K on a sedan in order to save on gasoline doesn't make a lick of sense to me, either. I have far better uses for $65K.

I'm happy to let others subsidize development of electric cars. When the total operational cost is considerably lower, I'll buy one (likely pre-owned, so that others can pay for the depreciation, as well).