• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Much to Pay Someone to Stay in Our House and Care for Our Teenager?

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be going on an 18 day trip in October. Our 16 yr. old (17 in Oct.) will be staying home because of school and travel hockey. We have a very reliable woman who will be staying at our house. DS is very self-sufficient, drives and is very responsible. He drives to school each day, etc. We will leave him money and a credit card so it is just paying her and leaving money for incidentals. At any rate - she did this before for us last year but we can't remember what we paid her and she doesn't remember either. Crazy I know but there it is. What say you? How much should be offer her? TIA, Linda

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have to pay $15 an hour for some one to watch my wifes mom. Thats $360 per day.
If you just paid $8 per hour that would be just under $200 per day.

I pay a dog sitter $25 a day to watch my dog.

Im not sure what watching a teen boy pays but Im curious.

geekette

Reaction score
For me it depends on a couple things - will she be preparing meals, looking after pets, doing any chores, errands, etc., and I would also consider 'the hassle factor' for her - does she have to go back to her place and take care of it, also? Longer commute to work?

I'd offer somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-50/ day if it's more vacationy for her, more if it's more involved/inconvenient. I would also pay more for someone more down on their luck -- I quite overpaid a dog sitter a couple years ago simply because it was a savings from boarding my dog (happier at home) and the lady was unemployed.

Note that I am middle America with reasonable cost of living.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't 17 year old & responsible the right age where he could stay home alone?

My assumption is this reliable woman is staying there for your peace of mind and she has minimal chores. If that is the case, I would pay by the day, preferably south of $100/day. This is not the same as caring for young children or the elderly, which can be much more labor and real work throughout the day - and for which I would pay at least $11/hour.

I find it is best to see if this woman can name her price first. That way you do not insult and you do not grossly overpay. I expect she will probably offer to do it for less $$ than you were prepared to spend. If it is a lot less, then you can be more generous with a tip when you return.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
He takes care of himself with food pretty much - will eat something she prepares if she is eating also but I know my neighbor will drop over casseroles and food (she has known him since he was a baby and loves to pamper him).

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I stayed by myself at that age with the occasional person checking on me. :shrug:
I was kinda thinking $300-400 sounded good? What about a college student? They're always thrilled to house sit for cheap.

geekette

Reaction score
I stayed by myself at that age with the occasional person checking on me. :shrug:
I was kinda thinking $300-400 sounded good? What about a college student? They're always thrilled to house sit for cheap.

Different times. I was alone frequently from age 15 with no one checking on me. No credit card, either. I loved having the house myself.

OP has a trusted adult lined up. If she didn't, I probably wouldn't suggest a college student. Too easy for the slippery slope to materialize. Not much older than a high schooler, judgement is iffy, kid might be better by himself! I would prefer a "real grownup" if it were my house and kid.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I agree with the suggestion of asking her what she thinks would be fair to her and suggest an amount in the form of a question.

Just for an example, use a figure you feel comfortable with say something like- Since neither of us can remember the last time, how much would you like, maybe $500 or so?

She's not really baby sitting, just a little security blanket for you and the caring neighbor.

I know this wasn't your question I'm assuming you've thought about possible medical treatment in case of an emergency. She will need what is required in you state to get him any treatment needed since he is a minor.

mspeggysue911

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I would pay her around $40 a day if you are not expecting her to do anything like take care of pets. If she is just there for your piece of mind to be a responsible adult in case of emergency then I think $40 a day is less than you would pay a babysitter but more than you would pay a pet sitter. It will be a little less than $800 for 18 days. I definitely would not insult her by offering her $20 a day.

I also agree I would throw it out there like a question. Or ask her what she thinks would be a fair amount for 18 days and if she says way less than what you were going to pay her then split the difference with her. Pay her more than she asks and she will be even more grateful to have the opportunity to make some extra money.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We paid a dog/house sitter $100/day to stay here with our two dogs.

Deb

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at $50 per day - which would be $900. Then I thought about it as THAT seemed high. Figured like a TS, the first and last days are SHORT. That made it $800.

I would offer her $750 and if everything is GREAT when you return home, throw in a $50-75 TIP.

PS As it sounds like she is not required to cook meals nor to do clothes washing, she is someone who is sleeping over and keeping idiot teenagers at bay (not particularly your son, just the other idiots).

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
$500/week.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Don't be cheap

If you don't give a lot of money to the church or to charities, consider that you're doing something nice for someone who, in exchange, is watching out for the welfare of you only son. Kind of like a charity except that you are getting a REAL and immediate return.

Go for $100 a day. If you chinse out and she is disappointed, I suppose that it could backfire on you. Also, consider that when you eventually "check out" (i.e., die), will the extra few bucks make that much of a difference? :ponder:

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Goodness! I think I need to go into house-sitting! ;)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida Payments

I believe you are from FL?? (in SC the rates are significantly less)

"In the fiscal year 2010-2011 Florida's Center for the Advancement of Child Welfare Practice reported that the monthly care board rate was $429 for children up to five years old. It paid a monthly rate of $440 for children ages six to 12 and a rate of $515 in assistance for children age 13 to 17."

For additional information: http://www.childrensrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fl.pdf

Regardless of what some people will pay for pet care or eldercare there are actual federal guidelines/recommendations for the care of US children.

Keep in mind that these rates will include the cost of food and other incidentals (which you have already paid/provided for).

Unfortunately the state of FL has not met the federal recommendation/guideline for adequate child care reimbursement.....so perhaps you want to choose an amount you feel may be more "fair" or in line with the federal recommendation. People I know who care for children do not do so for the money.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
You are paying for something between a Nanny and a house-sitter. Here is some information I have found about each.

http://www.choiceoptions.net/house-sitter-fees.php

This is a company that sets up house-sitters for you. It comes to $85/24-hour period.

http://www.4nannies.com/nanny-wages/

The following are some general weekly wage guidelines assuming a 45-50 hour work week and one or two children. All figures are in US dollars and representative of Year 2009 wages:

• 18 – 20 years old, or less than 2 years verifiable child care experience – $350-$500 live-in; $9.00-12.00 hour live-out. (7/2009 Fed. Minimum wage = $7.25/hr)
  • 21 years or older, 2 or more years verifiable child care experience, no prior nanny experience (note that college education puts you to the higher end of the salary range) – $400-$550 live-in; $10-15 hour live-out.
  • Two or more years of nanny experience, and/or a college degree in a child related field – $400-800 live-in; $10-18 hour live-out, higher in major metro markets.

Based on the info above, I still think $500/week is a good rate, as noted in my previous post.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is she staying at your house all day? Does she have to? Or only come over after school/whenever son is supposed to be home? You are basically paying her to sleep at your house, so I don't see this as a tremendous expense. If she is there all day, why can't she do some work?

If you have to pay too much, it is an insult to your son.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you have to pay too much, it is an insult to your son.

LOL! Now there's a good excuse to be cheap!

I'm sure the rates are varied based on region, etc. We now have THREE dogs so my rates have gone up! My dogs probably take a bit more care than a teenage boy does. Our housesitter lived with her dad so she was happy to have some time to herself at our house. She arranged to work from home most days so she could be here with the dogs. We were super pleased to find someone responsible who could come here.

OP, you might do well to ask your friends and neighbors to get the going rate in your neighborhood.

Deb

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we talking pre taxes or after?

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, this thread has some crazy numbers, both high and low. I pay $200 per week for someone to dogsit. She is not required to stay here, just comes and goes as she likes, as long as the animals are pottied and fed/watered. I also always bring her (woman is my age and is a housewife, no outside job) a few nice souvenirs that I know she will like. If I am gone for an extended amount of time, I throw in a $100 tip as well. As she really doesn't have any other responsibilities (no kids) she thinks it is a very fair arrangement. If her husband is not working, they enjoy my pool while letting the dogs play outside.

I think there are a lot of variables at play here. I would say trust your gut.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at this from a slightly different angle. I was pretty much a latch-key kid. My parents both worked from the time I was about 8, so I was used to being alone and liked my own company. The folks traveled for work and in the Summer I went along.

After I was about 12-13, I was either farmed out to church congregation families or dad's secretary's family. I might have been a handful 'cause I didn't often get invited back.

After 17 I was allowed to stay home alone without supervision. The parties were legendary. I'm sure they only allowed me this responsibility if they thought I was up to it. I wasn't.

If there had been a responsible adult living in the house, absent my parents, it sure would have gone a long way to keeping me on the 'straight and narrow'. So pay this person enough that she feels like she's a 'surrogate parent', and not just a place holder and caller of 911 'just in case'. Oh, I kinda like the $500ish a week number.

Either way, may you have a great trip, and may your son prove his maturity beyond any reproach. :)

Jim

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Isn't 17 year old & responsible the right age where he could stay home alone?

Speaking as the mother of two (now grown) sons, absolutely, positively NO WAY in h*ll could we have done that.

And thanks for posting this thread - I've learned a lot and it also reminded me to get our pet sitter lined up for weekend football games this fall.

I'm thinking when I retire, pet sitting may be my part-time job.