• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MOC Beachwalk Market & Pantry minimized; Starbucks opens this week.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Maybe this has been talked about but I haven't seen it so maybe you haven't either. When I arrived at the Maui Ocean Club today there was a sign that Starbucks is opening here on Jan 18, 2012. Just so you know Starbucks took up most of the space where the Beachwalk Market & Pantry was. The (much smaller) Beachwalk still has sodas and coffee and they also have the grill area and (pizza hut) pizza. Just FYI.

LOTS of whales today...absolutely incredible as always!

Aloha,
ilene

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this has been talked about but I haven't seen it so maybe you haven't either. When I arrived at the Maui Ocean Club today there was a sign that Starbucks is opening here on Jan 18, 2012. Just so you know Starbucks took up most of the space where the Beachwalk Market & Pantry was. The (much smaller) Beachwalk still has sodas and coffee and they also have the grill area and (pizza hut) pizza. Just FYI.

LOTS of whales today...absolutely incredible as always!

Aloha,
ilene

So what did they remove? I hope you can still get the breakfat burritos and the burgers for lunch.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's the Food?

We'll be there in two weeks. How's the food since the change? The food was a bit iffy before, hopefully it's been improved (new ownership?).

I gave up coffee last month, so Starbucks will only appeal to my wife. I'll bet the $25 mugs - all you can drink - coffee has been eliminated. We made our own coffee so that's no big deal.

By the way, is the waterfall working in the main pool? It was out of order all week last year.

Thank's for the info

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be there in two weeks. How's the food since the change? The food was a bit iffy before, hopefully it's been improved (new ownership?).

I gave up coffee last month, so Starbucks will only appeal to my wife. I'll bet the $25 mugs - all you can drink - coffee has been eliminated. We made our own coffee so that's no big deal.

By the way, is the waterfall working in the main pool? It was out of order all week last year.

Thank's for the info

At the Waiohai, there's a Starbucks as part of the Marketplace, but they still have the all-you-can-drink mugs (which are $34) they will refill with Kauai coffee, NOT Starbucks.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just left the MOC yesterday. The mugs are still available for soda or coffee at a mere $34. they are smaller this year than in the past. One thing I did not know, is you can use prior year cups. I didn't ask but I saw numereous people using prior year cups. The bigger blue ones.....

I didn't notice a difference in the food. We had breakfast the first morning and it was pretty much the same $10 - $12 a meal. We also had lunch from there while sitting at the pool bar. If you do this make sure you ask what the special is. We were going to order a bacon cheeseburger at $13 and was told the special was a double bacon cheeseburger for $11. Needless to say we ordered the double.

The eatery part of this place is very small, but I think that was because of the renovations for starbucks. If I remember the layout correctly, it looks like starbucks is taking over the store part of the eatery. The grill window and condiment area is what you will have. Which in my opinion is enough. There is still the outside eating area and starbucks put in some updted furniture. I am not a starbucks person, but it is a nice addition for people who do.

Enjoy your stay.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Many of these "Starbucks" at MVCI properties are disappointing. Many are not Starbucks at all but just the Marketplace "brewing Starbucks coffee". My wife likes the frappé, something that these places never seem to have since they are not full service Starbucks. For those who need their Starbucks coffee fix, I guess they do the trick.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista

Thank's for the info

Don't believe there was an ownership change. Had a grilled Mahi sandwich today with mac/potato salad, seemed the same to me.

Yes, all of the waterfalls are working.

The eatery part of this place is very small, but I think that was because of the renovations for starbucks. If I remember the layout correctly, it looks like starbucks is taking over the store part of the eatery. The grill window and condiment area is what you will have. Which in my opinion is enough. There is still the outside eating area and starbucks put in some updted furniture. I am not a starbucks person, but it is a nice addition for people who do.

Enjoy your stay.

Correct. So all of the cases w/quick grab & go ready made sandwiches, cut up fruit, salads etc. are gone as are the other quick grab grocery items; desserts are also no longer available.

Many of these "Starbucks" at MVCI properties are disappointing. Many are not Starbucks at all but just the Marketplace "brewing Starbucks coffee". My wife likes the frappé, something that these places never seem to have since they are not full service Starbucks. For those who need their Starbucks coffee fix, I guess they do the trick.

They used to and may still brew Starbucks coffee here however this new Starbucks is a totally separate entity and is the real deal.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't believe there was an ownership change. Had a grilled Mahi sandwich today with mac/potato salad, seemed the same to me.
Correct. So all of the cases w/quick grab & go ready made sandwiches, cut up fruit, salads etc. are gone as are the other quick grab grocery items; desserts are also no longer available.

They used to and may still brew Starbucks coffee here however this new Starbucks is a totally separate entity and is the real deal.

I'm glad they didn't eliminate the food service, we think its decent fare for a quick bite. My kids like to share the breakfast burrito and the kids meals which are reasonably priced are nice portions so my wife and I sometimes order that.

We didn't usually buy anything from the quick grab but its seemed to do well so I'm surprised they eliminated that but I guess they're getting a nice stipend from Starbucks to expand.

My wife is a coffee lover but she really doesn't like Starbucks at all.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
I am not a coffee drinker but my wife loves Starbucks so she will be thrilled. We are going March 30 and we can't wait.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be really surprised if they started allowing old mugs to be refilled. Last time we were there I used a previous year mug for ice water and got scolded by the attendant for having an old mug. Maybe it was close enough to the start of the new year they weren't enforcing just the new ones, or maybe it was a perk of living with the construction, I'll be interested to hear reports in the next month of if they are still allowing old ones.

In the old days they did have sbucks coffee to fill the mugs, and it was a mini Starbucks with some custom drinks, then they got rid of it for more ready serve items, seems like they are coming in a bit of a circle.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be really surprised if they started allowing old mugs to be refilled. Last time we were there I used a previous year mug for ice water and got scolded by the attendant for having an old mug. Maybe it was close enough to the start of the new year they weren't enforcing just the new ones, or maybe it was a perk of living with the construction, I'll be interested to hear reports in the next month of if they are still allowing old ones.

I was shocked to see people using them too. The ones I saw were getting more than water. It could be the construction thing.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
As an Owner, I would hope (actually I would assume) it is US getting the nice stipend.

I wouldn't assume it because quite a few of the onsite common areas belong to Marriott. For example, the poolbar/grilles at the resorts on Hilton Head are all moneymakers for Marriott, not the owners. On the flip side, the repairs/updates for those are paid for by Marriott, not the owners. Barony has extensive renovations happening now to the gardenview and feature pools plus the poolbar/grilles and we owners have been assured that Marriott is funding the upgrades. I believe dioxide has said the same about Grande Vista's fairly recent upgrades at their poolside amenities.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wouldn't assume it because quite a few of the onsite common areas belong to Marriott. For example, the poolbar/grilles at the resorts on Hilton Head are all moneymakers for Marriott, not the owners. On the flip side, the repairs/updates for those are paid for by Marriott, not the owners. Barony has extensive renovations happening now to the gardenview and feature pools plus the poolbar/grilles and we owners have been assured that Marriott is funding the upgrades. I believe dioxide has said the same about Grande Vista's fairly recent upgrades at their poolside amenities.

I think very few common restaurant/bar/concession are actually owned or run by the HOAs. MVCI gave themselves ownership over those in the initial resort documents. They don't have to pay any rent to the HOAs since they are owned by MVCI. Much like many of the onsite sales offices.

However, they do pay for the upgrades and expansion of these facilities and as you indicated, they did pay for much of the renovations at Grande Vista.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
I think the people using the2011 mugs in 2012 probably stayed over Christmas and New Years and I assume Marriott is allowing them to use it. I would doubt very much anyone would be able to use them anymore since it is now January 15. That's just my guess.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should Have Known

... quite a few of the onsite common areas belong to Marriott. For example, the poolbar/grilles at the resorts on Hilton Head are all moneymakers for Marriott, not the owners. .

Why doesn't that surprise me?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think very few common restaurant/bar/concession are actually owned or run by the HOAs. MVCI gave themselves ownership over those in the initial resort documents. They don't have to pay any rent to the HOAs since they are owned by MVCI. Much like many of the onsite sales offices.

However, they do pay for the upgrades and expansion of these facilities and as you indicated, they did pay for much of the renovations at Grande Vista.

I like that Marriott has control over- and the financial responsibility for - the onsite amenities like the MarketPlaces and pools/bar/grille areas even if it does mean that they're able to make money on them, because it also means that those things will be fairly uniform across all the resorts. That's an important feature of being an owner in a network of resorts - it gives you a very good idea of what to expect when you exchange within the network. Plus, I wouldn't want the BOD's/HOA's to have the opportunity to "cheapen" the amenities by funding them inadequately.

Last edited:

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
I'm glad they didn't eliminate the food service, we think its decent fare for a quick bite. My kids like to share the breakfast burrito and the kids meals which are reasonably priced are nice portions so my wife and I sometimes order that.

We didn't usually buy anything from the quick grab but its seemed to do well so I'm surprised they eliminated that but I guess they're getting a nice stipend from Starbucks to expand.

My wife is a coffee lover but she really doesn't like Starbucks at all.

I agree with the "decent fare for a quick bite". Also, I suppose Starbucks does carry many of the items that the Beachwalk no longer offers.

On another positive note, for those of us who are Marriott Reward junkies, we did ask down at the Welcome Center if we would be able to charge Starbucks items to our "room" and we were told "yes". So, if in fact that turns out to be correct, then that's a good thing too. Will let you know on the 18th if that is true (for us) or not.

It's all about the points, :cheer:
ilene

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I wouldn't assume it because quite a few of the onsite common areas belong to Marriott. For example, the poolbar/grilles at the resorts on Hilton Head are all moneymakers for Marriott, not the owners.

Interesting. I did not know that. I had assumed the contrary because that was never the case at Sabal Palms, where we first bought in 1987. When the Sabal Palms association stopped operating the store and contracted it out to an outside vendor, the association got the revenue.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Given that we are not coffee-drinkers, this is a big disappointment.

I must admit however that we rarely purchased items from the marketplace, so I can't complain too loudly.

Glad that the grill and soda fountain are remaining open - we do enjoy eating there for several meals during the week.

MikeB2620

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Napili Villas
Can someone post a picture?

Empty Nest

TUG Member
Reaction score
We left there yesterday or I could have sent a picture. The entrance to Starbucks is on the beachwalk side set back from the sidewalk, so you have to walk around. There are lots of comfy chairs in the triangular (corner) area in front, as well as tables and chairs. They were being used by customers and sitters. Inside is a typical Starbucks with some seats. Business was brisk.

The market place is behind, closer to the resort, and there was lots of business there as well.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Methods of charging purchases at Starbucks

So is the Starbucks an "official" store..... meaning can I use my Starbucks gift cards there? Also, can I charge to the room at the Starbucks store?

MikeB2620

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Napili Villas
Based on an earlier post to this thread, yes.