• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should we visit from Escondido, CA?

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere worth seeing for a day in Mexico that is not too far?

We have been to parts of Mexico closer to the East Coast, never the Baja area.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

A tugger lives there part time. I believe where she lives is about 30 miles south of downtown San Diego. Pstreet or Pstreet1 is her user name here. She will tell you it is worth going there for the day and can tell you everything you need to know about coming/going and what to do there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

A lot of people go to Tijuana for the day, but it's pretty nasty. I think there are more worth-while things to do in California. Personally, I would not drive over the boarder in this area, but there are others who do.

I also think your kids are going to be disappointed with the "Star Tour." You will not see any stars - you will be driven around in a van or bus to see the outside of very private gated homes - pretty much a big yawn.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Skip Mexico, unless you plan to return at 3am. Otherwise you'll have quite a wait, and 3 hours is not unusual. http://www.bordertraffic.com/California-Baja/San-Ysidro-Tijuana.aspx

Also, are you prepared with the necessary documentation? U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License. Can you prove that the children are yours?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When I was in college we used to cross the border into Tijuana (usually on foot). Even back then (late 1960's) you didn't want to go alone as women, you always wanted at least one male with you. The big deal about going down there was that if you were under 21 you could drink, you could also buy liquor. Pretty depressing even back then.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tijuana has changed. Virtually gone are the strip bars, donkeys standing around for pictures, underage kids drinking, sailors on leave from San Diego. The drug cartels and the murder-in-the-streets of hundreds of people are a thing of the past. Tijuana has become respectable, with great restaurants, a civic center, modern architecture, and a vibrant culture. Symphony, plays, the works. You can take the San Diego Trolley to the San Ysidro stop and walk across into downtown TJ in minutes. It will, take, however some time (plan on 2-3 hours) to get back across to the USA. http://www.tijuana.com/en/index.html Take a look.

Jim

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I used to ride my motorcycle down through Tijuana about 30 miles south or so and have lunch in Puerto Nuevo.

It's Mexican style grilled lobster and rice, beans and tortillas.

On the bike, I could split the lanes all the way up to the border entrance and my wait wouldn't be that long.

It can get really lengthy now. I wouldn't burn a day of my vacation going to that part of Mexico. It's not exactly historical like other parts.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will not have any children with me. That is a different poster.
From all the posts, I think we will skip Mexico.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We live on the East coast and do many beach vacations--so going to the beach is more about the "cool factor" of seeing a CA beach. We would spend only a few hours there--thanks for the tip to go in the PM. Which beach would be the most fun for teens?
The beach with the most "cool factor" would definitely be Santa Monica/ Venice Beach. Yes it's a long drive but since you're flying in and out of LAX it seems like you could hit the beach there at some point.

Oceanside by the pier has more going on than the other beaches nearby Escondido. But there are lots of great beaches all over that area. The one in Oceanside, however, is probably going to appeal to teenagers more than the other beaches unless they're surfers. And they can still surf at Oceanside, it's just some other beaches nearby are better known for great waves. There's a lot to do there and plenty of young people: skateboarders, trick bike riders doing stunts, dancers, etc. Oceanside also has a nice flat sidewalk and road area (The Strand) great for a bike ride, jog, or walk, like a mini Venice.

Oceanside has a nice long pier that attracts people like a bubble maker we saw on our last visit there. He made giant bubbles and let some go over the edge to the children on the beach below. Children on the pier absolutely loved it, such as my then three-year-old. I've also seen opera singers and other people showcasing their talents on the pier.

However, Oceanside, the town not the beach, has a reputation for having gangs. And you can see a little of that element at the beach sometimes, more likely late afternoon and evening. I've never felt in danger but I know some people who scare easily do not like Oceanside for that reason. But then, if you're considering TJ then you won't be afraid of Oceanside.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree with the suggestion of Santa Monica and/or Venice. The Santa Monica Pier and vicinity is also worth a quick visit. If you're up for something more adventurous, you can rent bikes and go on the Santa Monica bike path. It starts on the beach from Pacific Palisades, though you can start anywhere, and heads all the way south to Redondo or so. I believe you can rent bikes in Santa Monica or Venice. It also heads thru Marina del Rey...you'd get a great view of the area and find lots of spots to stop for something interesting.

Otherwise, don't ignore the option of the Malibu beaches. Zuma is still fantastic and even further north is Leo Carillo State Beach, which is a wonderful beach to relax...but doesn't fit your desire for the "cool factor".

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We did book 3 nights in San Diego before the week at Welk. We will have 2.5 days to explore San Diego. I did not want to drive back and forth. We will relax, play golf, swim and explore Escondido, farmer's market and the Safari Park while

staying at the resort. I enjoy my resort time.

We do not have a plan for after the 12th yet. We want to stay 1-2 extra days. I had some interest in seeing Newport Beach. Is it worth visiting for 1-2 days for the scenery?

Newport Beach is good, along with Laguna. You may have difficulty finding a great place to stay at a reasonable rate there, so if that is an issue you might look to stay in Irvine and simply drive to the beach. I haven't stayed there in a long time so am not up to date on options.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out the theater on site. My first trip to Welk I went to 4 shows. My second trip I did 1. I enjoyed all of them.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I never realized that Santa Monica was such a cool spot. That's the beach we (my girlfriends and I) used to go to when I was a teen. We went there because it was the closest from where we lived in Glendale.

I really liked a lot of other beaches so much more:
Newport
Corona del Mar
Laguna

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
thanks, everyone! tuggers are great! Kids really want the stars tour, so that is a definite---but as we got a ts trade for the rest of the week, I think we will splurge the 1st night and stay near Santa Monica (I have been for work several times--never realized I was staying near the "cool" place), so we can walk around the 1st evening and then the next day.
DH and I love touring wineries. So, we can leave the kids (one is 18) to text their friends one afternoon and tour some wineries together.
OT--and, only tuggers will understand this crazy plan--we go from S.Cal. to Banff for another week--because, why not? Then I told my mom and she is meeting us in Banff. Then I said, we have the space, "why not invite my aunt and uncle?" How awesome is that? Then DH's Mother (87) heard about our trip and said, "I would like to see San Diego." Done!
I know lots bash RCI, but gotta say RCI came through for us perfectly for next year.

taffy19

Reaction score
We just booked the Welk resort with our AC. We are considering adding another week or a couple of short stays to the trip. We also want to know what some of the TUG favorites in the area are. I know I want some relaxing resort time. I do not wish to be busy every day so considering add ons so we can enjoy the resort.
If you want to see Santa Monica and Venice beach, I would stay a night or two near the airport and go from there to Hollywood too, if that is your plan.

If you would like to see multiple places in San Diego, I would add a day or two there too rather than driving back and forward so much. I don't think you would like driving in our slow and heavy traffic during the week unless you go outside commuting hours but they last several hours long each day in the morning and afternoon.

We like Laguna Beach the best of all the beach cities in southern California because it has a very nice public beach and a board walk plus a picturesque backdrop of the hills facing the other way plus many restaurants to choose from and little shops, if you like shopping during your vacation.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our ocean water is very cold compared to the east coast.
Here's a few descriptions on some of our beaches.

Oceanside: has a pier with a Rubys Dinner at the end, people fish off the pier. There's also a nice harbor where you can rent kayaks, different types of boats, etc and plenty of places to get some food.

Coronado: a significant drive from Welk, but has the historic Hotel Del Coronado, which a fun to visit and hang out at. The beach there was rated number one in the country, but I don't remember by which organization.

La Jolla: La Jolla shores is a very popular beach and you can walk to the tide pools from there. Going down south in La Jolla, you have the Cove, which is a protected underwater park, nice for snorkeling, but the waves can thrash you around and the seals at the Children's pool. There is a gift shop next to the Cove that has an underground staircase that you can walk down to get inside of of the ocean caves. It can be fun or gross, depending on how many birds are in there.

Cardiff by the sea: Nice beach with places to eat and enjoy sunset dining. I eat at Ki's, which is extremely casual and they use organic/local produce when available. They have stuff for vegetarians and gluten free diners, in addition to the regular meat and seafood stuff you find everywhere near the beach.

Mission Beach: Has a wooden roller coaster and some other stuff. The beach tends to have a rowdier type crowd. It's always very busy and there are lots of very colorful personalities walking around.

Wonderful tips. I love it.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked up La Jolla on Trip Advisor. There is so much natural beauty to see in that area. I think we will try to find accommodations there. Thanks for all the help!