• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JFK-LGA-EWR: Inexpensive alternatives to cabs/private cars

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
As part of a New York/New Jersey trip next year, we would like some advice on inexpensive (yet convenient) ways of going from JFK Airport to LaGuardia Airport then continuing to Newark Liberty International Airport ( in one trip) for the four of us. Presumably, this would involve some form of public transportation. I spent just a few minutes looking into utilizing cabs and private cars; although convenient, the ballpark cost of what I have seen makes me want to look for alternatives.

Any advice is appreciated !

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As part of a New York/New Jersey trip next year, we would like some advice on inexpensive (yet convenient) ways of going from JFK Airport to LaGuardia Airport then continuing to Newark Liberty International Airport ( in one trip) for the four of us. Presumably, this would involve some form of public transportation. I spent just a few minutes looking into utilizing cabs and private cars; although convenient, the ballpark cost of what I have seen makes me want to look for alternatives.

Any advice is appreciated !

Just wondering why you want to go from JFK to LGA and then Newark airport???

You can easily get from JFK to Jamaica station LIRR for a fraction of the cost as well as saving lots of time. Then go from LIRR Jamaica to Penn station where you can get a train directly to Newark airport.

There is a train that goes from JFK to Jamaica station or just take a short taxi ride to Jamaica station.:shrug:

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Just wondering why you want to go from JFK to LGA and then Newark airport???

Yes, this is a bit unusual. I'm thinking that the OP and travel companions are arriving into separate airports and want to meet each other.

My recommendation would be to use a service like this:

http://www.nycairporter.com/

This shuttle goes from airport to airport and seems cheap to me. I personally would send the people arriving at JFK directly to Newark and the people arriving at LGA to Newark.

If all 4 are arriving at JFK and you guys just want to "tour" airports, then I would suggest cabs, since it's cost effective to take cabs when you have 4 people.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Just to clarify a question above, our party will be arriving in two different airports (JFK and LGA), and we all have to make it to EWR for a pickup from a friend in New Jersey. From some basic research, it seemed easier to have the persons arriving to JFK to swing by LGA so the entire party to travel together to EWR.

Please keep the ideas coming !

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meet at Penn, I met my wife in EWR, but we were both smart enough to book the same destination despite starting in Florida and California

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you going after getting the last person? Are you then going into Manhattan to stay? Or are you going somewhere in New Jersey?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you going after getting the last person? Are you then going into Manhattan to stay? Or are you going somewhere in New Jersey?

Our party of for are being picked up at EWR by car by a friend living about 20 mins away in NJ. We are staying with him for a few days.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our party of for are being picked up at EWR by car by a friend living about 20 mins away in NJ. We are staying with him n for a few days.

Since you are going to Newark airport only to get picked up by car, ask your friend if he can pick you up at the nearest train or bus from him. In NYC, there is a flat fee from JFK to manhattan. I last I remember it was 55 bucks. The two parties can go directly to port authority(bus) or penn station (train), meet another there and take the bus or train to your friends town or a town nearby and pick you up.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Just to clarify a question above, our party will be arriving in two different airports (JFK and LGA), and we all have to make it to EWR for a pickup from a friend in New Jersey. From some basic research, it seemed easier to have the persons arriving to JFK to swing by LGA so the entire party to travel together to EWR.

Please keep the ideas coming !

This is definitely not easier than having both parties go directly to a meeting point in manhattan. Not sure what time you are arriving but NYC traffic is horrible, even in the outer boroughs.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is definitely not easier than having both parties go directly to a meeting point in manhattan. Not sure what time you are arriving but NYC traffic is horrible, even in the outer boroughs.

both parties are set to arrive on a Friday around 830AM

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meet at Penn, I met my wife in EWR, but we were both smart enough to book the same destination despite starting in Florida and California

Thanks. This is an approach we did not think about and should look into.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
both parties are set to arrive on a Friday around 830AM

Assuming you are leaving the airport around 9:30, it shouldn't be horrible.

Btw, the cheapest way is mass transportation (combo of subway and bus) gap from the airports to a meetup point in the city such as penn station or port authority and head over to NJ.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Winger,

Here's a sample itinerary for Travel from Penn Station to Newark Airport:
Note the price reduction for the Senior Fare

Option 1: Depart : NEW YORK PENN STATION at 9:37 AM
Board : Train 3831 toward TRENTON TRANSIT CENTER
Arrive : NEWARK AIRPORT RAILROAD STATION at 10:01 AM

Option 2: Depart : AIRTRAIN NJT/AMTRAK RR STATION at 10:10 AM
Board : Train/Subway toward NIA TRAM NEWARK AIRPORT AIRTRAIN
Arrive : AIRTRAIN TERMINAL B at 10:20 AM

Fare Regular Child/Senior/Disabled
Bus $0.00 $0.00
Rail $12.50 $8.75
Transfer Fee $0.00 $0.00

Total $12.50 $8.75

Go to the link Conan provided and use Trip Planner to see schedules and fares.

Richard

mrmarty91

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Seaport. The best and easiest way would be to meet at Penn Station in Manhattan and take the train to whatever town in NJ is best for your friend to pick you up.

Picking up at EWR is no picnic either.