• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando Trip in January

BWC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We will be taking a two-week trip to WDW in January. We are II members and are planning to purchase getaways for our stay. We would prefer to stay at a DVC resort, but are looking for resort suggestions. A couple of things we're looking for are:

• Close proximity to Disney parks (don't want to lose a lot of time commuting to/from parks)
  • Property amenities (we plan on just hanging out at the resort for a few of the days)

This is our first trip to WDW so if there are any other things we should be looking for, please let us know :)

So...has anyone stayed at a resort close to the Disney parks? What are some great resorts? Is there access to DVC resorts via getaways through II or RCI?

Much thanks!

Reaction score
I don't think DVC resorts are I.I., but if you can't get into a DVC resort, there is always Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is also not I.I., but is right next door to EPCOT. They offer a shuttle to the parks for a per-person-per-day fee, but if you do the math, it may be cheaper to just drive your car in. The resort has phenomenal activities for all ages, several pools, gorgeous suites, etc.

In terms of Walt Disney World, I would suggest buying a multi-day pass. Usually, multi-day passes include free parking, which also saves money. Afternoons are the best time to go, since most people go in the morning. Staying for the fireworks will mean heavy traffic leaving (be patient!). In terms of food, unless you WANT to buy food in the park, you can pack a small cooler full of your meal, which will save a LOT of money.

TS

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of my employees just used my II getaways for a group trip to the Marriott Grande Vista. They loved it and though its was close enough to WDW (10 minutes). Lots of availability too which was nice (they wanted 3 two bedrooms).

HAVE FUN!

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too!

We are also taking our first WDW trip in January 2015! We are staying 1 week at Marriott Grand Vista and then the second week at Diamonds Grande Villas...I think I have got that right:) I assume we should get a car but not sure if should get one for only 1 week or if we need it for the full two weeks...interested to hear opinions...I assume we should just get the car at the airport...not looked into that just yet...so far the accomodations are booked and the flights...now to save for the park tickets etc:) This is actually our first ever TS stay so we are nervous newbies:) :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DVC is exclusively with RCI, and it's probably too late to get an exchange for January. You usually need to put in an on going search, months in advance - preferable 12 mos. or more.

You should consider Bonnet Creek - it's the closest timeshare to Epcot, and it's a nice resort, and far less expensive than the DVC resorts. It's also nicer than the older DVC resorts.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Island is an II resort - very close to Disney with lots of activities.

I truly LIKE their room service -- call on the house phone and get delivery from TGIFridays - they are the resort's "room service" with a GOLF cart delivery on the resort's private road (out the back of the TGFriday's parking lot to your condo. Of course you could walk but just across from TGFRidays, is an Olive Garden. And at the next light is a Smokey Bones with a full service Grocery in the same strip shopping center.

PS Just follow the resort's activities - they put out meals several times a week for (cheap) smart money - the food is again ALL catered by TGFriday and the golf cart. And those meals are all served in the 2nd floor open air Tiki bar with THE MORE ADULT entertainment later. Better than Olive Garden on price & atmosphere. And every time I have been, the food is SOLD OUT.

Yes, SI has full kitchen and in unit washers & dryers ... just don't take a SUITE 1bdr .. that is the kitchenette side of the lockout - no balcony either. But it has 2 double beds in the BR and a sofabed in the LR which has a door on the LR. Full bath is in the hall.

Last edited:

AstaB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with BWC, Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a great resort. We have stayed there many times and I don't think you would be disappointed. Lots of fun things for the kids to do, they keep them active. The shuttle buses are great to the visit the parks.
Full kitchens and washer and dryer helps a great deal.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
....You should consider Bonnet Creek - it's the closest timeshare to Epcot, and it's a nice resort, and far less expensive than the DVC resorts. It's also nicer than the older DVC resorts.

BC is RCI also ...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
BC is RCI also ...

I wasn't very clear - what I was trying to say is that this point it's too late for an exchange, but they can rent WBC for a fraction of the cost of DVC. :hi:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in my DVC mode -- I renewed my AP.

And I have a BC week starting Nov 1 -- last part of F&W. I watch the Sightenings thread when I am a hunting.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We are also taking our first WDW trip in January 2015! We are staying 1 week at Marriott Grand Vista and then the second week at Diamonds Grande Villas...I think I have got that right:) I assume we should get a car but not sure if should get one for only 1 week or if we need it for the full two weeks...interested to hear opinions...I assume we should just get the car at the airport...not looked into that just yet...so far the accomodations are booked and the flights...now to save for the park tickets etc:) This is actually our first ever TS stay so we are nervous newbies:) :D

If you want to go off-campus, like to a park, a beach, the space center, etc., you need a car.
If you are content to hang out at the resort, you don't. Mix the two and limit your rental term.
Your best deal on a car is not at the airport. Enterprise "will pick you up" and has good rates.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
BC is closest non-Disney timeshare. Saying a resort is ten minutes away is misleading as WDW is the size of San Francisco. We're at Vistana Villages is 10 minutes away but it's 25 minutes to Magic Kingdom parking area using less major roads. Construction near Downtown Disney is causing big traffic problems there.

Even in WDW, a car is great to have. We will be at Old Key West in two days where we have owned since 93. This resort and Saratoga are spread out so bus service can be slow and infrequent especially if you need to get to a specific park on time. You must have an annual pass or be staying on property to get free parking in the four major parks. Buses from outside resorts do not run as often as WDW transportation. January should offer great discounted car rentals. We go through Costco usually.

Another reason for a car is grocery shopping (Publix) and to go to Universal. The new Harry Potter Diagonal Alley area at USF is wonderful and lines should be shorter then.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
If you want to go off-campus, like to a park, a beach, the space center, etc., you need a car.
If you are content to hang out at the resort, you don't. Mix the two and limit your rental term.
Your best deal on a car is not at the airport. Enterprise "will pick you up" and has good rates.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Fox rental cars has fabulous deals out of Orlando. We rented for a day last year for $12 total

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC is exclusively with RCI, and it's probably too late to get an exchange for January. You usually need to put in an on going search, months in advance - preferable 12 mos. or more.

You should consider Bonnet Creek - it's the closest timeshare to Epcot, and it's a nice resort, and far less expensive than the DVC resorts. It's also nicer than the older DVC resorts.

I've been wondering about II and WDW Resorts. Thanks for answering that question - so I'll never get an exchange into a WDW Resort Property w/II.
We stayed at MGV and Westgate but be sure if you stay at Westgate that it is the NEW property - Towers or Town Center. Those are very nice.

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you:)

Fox rental cars has fabulous deals out of Orlando. We rented for a day last year for $12 total

I have just reserved my rental car with Fox...I will keep looking but for now it seems like a good deal...13 days total...mid size car....total inc tax etc $439. Thanks for the info!:)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The original poster mentioned they were planning on buying getaways via II.

DVC property and Bonnet creek are both RCI - so not available.

Someone mentioned free parking comes with multi-day tickets. I don't believe this is accurate

So....II getaways. First, buy them now if you can. II is running a special buy a getaway, get a free AC. I would be willing to bet if you purchased one getaway now you could use the AC to purchase the other.

As for suggestions for resorts. My first would be any Orlando Marriot.

If you are just adults - then Imperial Palms, Royal Palms or Sable Palms. They are all located at the Marriott World Center which is very close to Disney.

If you have children under 10. Hands down Marriott Harbor Lake.

If you have children over 10. Grand Vista or Lakeshore Reserve.

There is also Cypress Harbor - I would put this one in the adults only category - but not as close to WDW.

If you are planning on doing Disney for two weeks.....you may want to look into buying 1 person an annual pass for Disney. This will get you free parking and you can also purchase a Tables in the Wonderland card which will give you discounts on a lot of dining and free valet parking at resorts. You need to crunch the numbers to really see if worth it.

I would only do this if you plan on eating a lot onsite at Disney. If you are foodies.....then exploring the different restaurants in the different resorts can be fun.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just reserved my rental car with Fox...I will keep looking but for now it seems like a good deal...13 days total...mid size car....total inc tax etc $439. Thanks for the info!:)

I'm pretty sure Fox is offsite at MCO.

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fox rental

I'm pretty sure Fox is offsite at MCO.

I put down that we will pick up at the airport and their booking email they sent me gives me directions on how to get the car....will worry about all that a bit later though for now I am happy with booking something for a decent price..:D

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Yes, FOX is offsite, they have a shuttle which you can take to/from the airport or if you are not flying in, you can drive right to it

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many off-site timeshares are no less convenient than staying at a Disney resort. Unless you're on the Monorail (Grand Floridian, etc.), it often takes less time to get from a timeshare to the gate than from some of the resorts. Even staying on-site, I use my car as the bus system takes forever.

From what I have seen on these boards over the years, trading into DVC isn't always the great deal some picture. DVC owners deposit their points with DVC and DVC deposits the units. In the past, the DVC units tend to be efficiencies which aren't even up to the standards of a normal timeshare (paper plates, etc.) because nobody seems to ever want to challenge Disney. I have also read that DVC charges an "activity fee" to traders to cover the costs of transportation and such that regular guests normally get for free. And you don't get the usual perks and discounts of an owner. Can anyone comment?

Is OP really talking about two weeks at the parks or two weeks in Orlando while going to the parks? I'm on various Disney fan sites and don't know of many people who can spend more than a week at the most before burnout. If two weeks, you may want one person in the group to get an annual pass. It will add a few hundred dollars to a long term pass but the free parking and other discounts may be worth it. If you're a real Disney fan and don't live too far from Orlando (or have the usual cheap air available) it might be worth it for everyone to get and AP. We've done that and make sure we return in less than a year (even by a few weeks) and divide the cost of the pass by two, making week long visits pretty reasonable. If you are in Orlando for the two weeks but not at the parks, several days can be spent visiting the Disney Resorts. The visit is free and many of the resorts have enough to keep you busy for a good part of a da or evening. Animal Kingdom Lodge has Animals roaming the grounds, Boardwalk has a lot of entertainment on the boardwalk and Grand Floridian has a great location for watching fireworks.