• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental car rate lesson learned!

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
After out flight from TPA to JFK was cancelled on Friday, we decided to rent and drive home since they couldn't get us booked for days.

Rented from Avis and used a discount code I've used several times before, with no issue. Imagine my surprise when I checked the car back in and got a bill for over $600 in mileage charges! Apparently, the rate did not include mileage, which never even occurred to me (I looked back at prior reservations with that code and they did include unlimited mileage).

The agent at JFK was great. She found me the best rate and cancelled the transaction and rebooked it as it I'd had that rate from the beginning, and then she applied a discount code on top. Had I used the base rate from Avis, I would have paid $228 plus tax. She got me a rate for $180 minus 13%, so basically $160 plus tax. Of course, my $75 rate looked much better - until I got charged 40¢ per mile!

lorainB

Reaction score
Renting a car is the best idea. You wont get stressed if you ask for the travel agency's help. They know the cheapest rent a car company.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up, here's ANOTHER $600 charge. Our original rental in Tampa for the week was a 5 passenger SUV. We got into Tampa as scheduled around 10:30pm, grabbed our luggage, and rushed off to the Hertz Gold kiosk in the parking area to grab our car. When I got to the window, the guy looked up my reservation and said hmmmm, let's see what we can find for you. I have to make a call. He came back and said, "Would you be willing to take a minivan?" Since we were traveling wtih our 3 little ones, I said sure. He handed me the keys and a slip of paper (I did not sign anything) and I headed out. Interestingly, in Tampa, there is no gate check on the way out.

Fast forward two weeks and I see a $650 charge on my Amex from Hertz (it was a prepaid rental @ $450 for the week). I called and they informed me that I had agreed to an upgrade and that the rate was $1100 for the week minus my prepaid credit of $450 = $650 charge. WHAT? Unbelievable. Makes me wonder of this is some sort of scam or an honest mistake. I know they've been aggressive with me at the counter to take an upgrade for "Just $x more a day," but on this trip, nothing was said, and his manner and response implied that the vehicle I had rented was unavailable and they were substituting. I've had that happen several times before, in my favor, and was never charged.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Renting a car is the best idea. You wont get stressed if you ask for the travel agency's help. They know the cheapest rent a car company.

In today's world, there is no need to use a travel agent, especially for a rental car!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a follow-up, here's ANOTHER $600 charge. Our original rental in Tampa for the week was a 5 passenger SUV. We got into Tampa as scheduled around 10:30pm, grabbed our luggage, and rushed off to the Hertz Gold kiosk in the parking area to grab our car. When I got to the window, the guy looked up my reservation and said hmmmm, let's see what we can find for you. I have to make a call. He came back and said, "Would you be willing to take a minivan?" Since we were traveling wtih our 3 little ones, I said sure. He handed me the keys and a slip of paper (I did not sign anything) and I headed out. Interestingly, in Tampa, there is no gate check on the way out.

Fast forward two weeks and I see a $650 charge on my Amex from Hertz (it was a prepaid rental @ $450 for the week). I called and they informed me that I had agreed to an upgrade and that the rate was $1100 for the week minus my prepaid credit of $450 = $650 charge. WHAT? Unbelievable. Makes me wonder of this is some sort of scam or an honest mistake. I know they've been aggressive with me at the counter to take an upgrade for "Just $x more a day," but on this trip, nothing was said, and his manner and response implied that the vehicle I had rented was unavailable and they were substituting. I've had that happen several times before, in my favor, and was never charged.

I'm with you, this seems like a scam! I too have been offered the upgrade for a few bucks a day, and declined. Often, however, they didn't have my smaller car in stock and I ended up with the larger upgrade anyway.

It seems if they can get you to willingly accept and pay for the upgrade that is what their goal is. Seems they just pushed you off into a larger car as to imply that was your desire, to upgrade AND pay for it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hertz did that? I guess it's your word against the guy's word. I hope you get that one adjusted, but I would guess is the guy will say you agreed to the upgrade.

Really sleazy of the guy. Do they make money on upgrades?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I suspect this is one instance where AMEX will back you, since Hertz has no signed agreement of the additional charge. Fight it - you'll win. And then move your business away from Hertz (I thought they were great years ago but in the last 10-15 years I've been happier with others, but then there really are just a few companies which own this entire market...).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

And you didn't either look at the 'slip of paper' or question the guy, "At the original pre-paid rate?"

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool be twice, shame on me. I think I'd be on the phone with Hertz Customer Service, and contesting the CC charge.

Let us know how this works out, 'cause this is a clear 'bait 'n' switch' deal.

Jim

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you didn't either look at the 'slip of paper' or question the guy, "At the original pre-paid rate?"

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool be twice, shame on me. I think I'd be on the phone with Hertz Customer Service, and contesting the CC charge.

Let us know how this works out, 'cause this is a clear 'bait 'n' switch' deal.

Jim

The piece of paper - I did not look at - he handed it over with the kids. This is the first time it happened to me - no excuse, but this is like the time my mom got caught speeding 3 times in one day through EZ Pass and thehn received two wanrings anda revocation. Literally within 48 hours (and after the travel took place) I realized this happened. At 11:00pm at night with 3 young children, and a 3 hour drive ahead of us, I was not focused on the right things. Again, no excise, and actually, I hope this serves as a lesson to others to not make the same mistakes I did. I will certianly be vigilant about this next time. I've rented so many cars and never once hd an issue like this.

I disputed it with Hertz. They said it takes 7 days for the local office to respond. I will certainly dispute it with Amex. Luckily, my wife was standing right next to me. I'm sure this will be worked out but I'm surprised that Hertz did this. Again, could be an honest mistake but seems shady to me!

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
One way rental cars can be outrageously expensive. If they don't explicitly charge for mileage, the mileage charge is usually built into the daily rate. I stick with one rental car company (National) where I earn credits towards free days (paying just the taxes, usually $5-10/day), and I almost always use those free days on one-way rentals. Because I'm at the Executive level in their loyalty program, I can reserve up to a Full Size car, and I can pick any car from the Executive Aisle as well.

On one recent one-way rental, I really wanted a minivan (two days in the car with three kids and four weeks of stuff, wrapping up a trip that included three different climates), but they didn't have anything bigger than a Full Size in the Executive Aisle. I asked the agent if I could upgrade to a Minivan or SUV and he offered it to me for an extra $12/day. I jumped on it. When I got to the exit booth, the rate on the paper said something like $400. I didn't leave until they got it corrected.

Last edited:

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Yep, The lesson is, always look at the contract to verify they are giving you the rate you expect. Once you sign the contract and drive out of the lot, you are on the hook for whatever the contract says, not what the agent said.

I have often been upgraded to the next higher level car when they are out of the level I rented. The contract is still written for the level and price I reserved, even though the car is a higher level.

Greg

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread regarding Hertz and my recent experience

I disputed it with Hertz. They said it takes 7 days for the local office to respond. I will certainly dispute it with Amex. Luckily, my wife was standing right next to me. I'm sure this will be worked out but I'm surprised that Hertz did this. Again, could be an honest mistake but seems shady to me!

I made car reservations for our recent New Year's trip through Avis for a compact and through Hertz for a full size. I wasn't sure which size we were going to need or want. Neither reservation required a credit card. When we arrived in Miami, we chose the Avis reservation and I cancelled the Hertz reservation online.

When I returned home and was checking my credit card online, there was a
$650 charge from Hertz. Huh? Normally, there's an option to dispute each charge online, but this charge did not have that option. I decided to wait a couple of days to see if that option would appear. I knew that I hadn't been required to submit credit card information when I made the reservation and I knew that I had cancelled the reservation and had a cancellation confirmation. I wasn't really too worried. The following evening, the charge had been removed.

No harm, no foul; but I'm wondering why that charge ever appeared. :ponder:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
One way rental cars can be outrageously expensive.

True, but situations vary. I've found one-way rentals in Colorado to be too expensive to consider, but I have twice had one-way rentals in Spain that were no more pricey than returning to the rental point (Malaga to Sevilla, and Fuengirola to Granada).

And in Germany, our one-way rental from Stuttgart to Munich was only a bit more expensive than retuning it to Stuttgart would have been.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say its possible people in Europe drive rental cars less distance and fuel is much more expensive.

One way drop charges are a way to make extra money but also account for the additional miles driven. If I rent a car in LA and a few days later drop it off in New York. The rental car company knows I am going to be putting a lot of miles on the car. Especially with more than one authorized driver.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, The lesson is, always look at the contract to verify they are giving you the rate you expect. Once you sign the contract and drive out of the lot, you are on the hook for whatever the contract says, not what the agent said.

Just like buying a timeshare :)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would say its possible people in Europe drive rental cars less distance and fuel is much more expensive.

One way drop charges are a way to make extra money but also account for the additional miles driven. If I rent a car in LA and a few days later drop it off in New York. The rental car company knows I am going to be putting a lot of miles on the car. Especially with more than one authorized driver.

That's a great point; never thought of it that way.

We had a rental in Scotland where we rented in one city and returned to another and the one way fee was minimal, if at all.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
The piece of paper - I did not look at - he handed it over with the kids. This is the first time it happened to me - no excuse, but this is like the time my mom got caught speeding 3 times in one day through EZ Pass and thehn received two wanrings anda revocation. Literally within 48 hours (and after the travel took place) I realized this happened. At 11:00pm at night with 3 young children, and a 3 hour drive ahead of us, I was not focused on the right things. Again, no excise, and actually, I hope this serves as a lesson to others to not make the same mistakes I did. I will certianly be vigilant about this next time. I've rented so many cars and never once hd an issue like this.

Three kids are a GOOD excuse. And they use that in their scheme because you are distracted. I always say no, because i assume there's always a catch. BTW, Costco has the best rates online.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update - this is still going on. Amex found in favor of Hertz. Why? BECAUSE THEY HAVE MY ELECTRONIC "SIGNATURE" ON FILE. Unbelievable. I have written to Hertz as they never responded to my two phone calls other than to be completely unhelpful. This is a really dissapointing and unethical. I have a complaint in with AMex, and they have followed-up with me; we'll see what happens. This is especially dissaointing given that a co-worker had the same thing happen at the nexg closest airport (Sarasota). Luckily, he noticed the bill once he was inside the airline terminal after returning the car and they gave him a credit (bot not fot the entire amount!).

This is a surprisingly sketchy business practice from a respected company.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh! So sorry! I remember your original post. So far, it sounds like the only good that has come out of your misery is a lesson for us all!
Honestly, I had a near similar experience this past summer. I flew out to CA with son2 and his gf for son1's wedding. It was waaaay past my bedtime when we landed, so I was half asleep. After politely and patiently standing in line, the attendant alerted us to the fact that we could have just grab our vehicle and drove off as my name was on the "board." I just wasn't familiar with their system.
Overall, I have to say that we were very pleased! We loved our vehicle, and the price and Hertz was terrific.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Just an update - this is still going on. Amex found in favor of Hertz. Why? BECAUSE THEY HAVE MY ELECTRONIC "SIGNATURE" ON FILE.

What a bummer. Good luck resolving it. Some franchises give the whole company a bad name.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other rental car scams

We have on our last two rental cars in Europe received extra charges on our credit card for gasoline and other not understood fees. Luckily years ago a friend in the travel business told me to take a picture of the odometer and gas gauge when turning in.
In both cases the rental car companies didn't have a leg do stand on and didn't get their scam money. Also take pictures before leaving of any major scratches or bumps on the car.
Our charges were from Hertz and Sixt but many companies are just franchises not company owned and operated.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a bummer. That's so unfortunate people do sleasy businesses practices like that. Thanks for sharing to save all of us from the same mistake. Many years ago we had trouble with a rental car agency. I've never trusted any of them since. I hope you get this resolved in your favor.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: resolved

Multiple phone calls an letters did nothing. But posting on twitter netted me a $499 refund :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Multiple phone calls an letters did nothing. But posting on twitter netted me a $499 refund :D

Ah the power of social media! Congrats on getting the outrageous charges reversed.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I haven't done business with Hertz since I rented 9 cars in one year and every one had some kind of overcharge. It was either I didn't fill up the gas tank or an upgrade I didn't take or, the last and final straw, was damage they claimed I caused. The latter was a Florida rental right after a Hurricane and I think they were trying to farm out their losses. Every car I rented that year through Hertz (and a Gold membership through my company) had an overcharge on it. It was pretty clear to me it was a pattern and, given it happened at mulitple locations, a company pattern. I wrote letters to the BBB, AAA (who I rented some through via their recommendation) as well as the company higher ups. The charges were cancelled, but I haven't done business with them since.

I have also learned to check the fine print and the final charge as well as note anything that looks like the smallest ding before leaving the airport.

Sue