• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Compensation for laundry ruined by resort washer?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
*Note to self - run wash machine without any clothes before using.

After reading some of the Disney wedding threads on the DIS boards, when anywhere in Orlando I run the machine before using. They have been known to dye their big wedding petticoats in TS washers! :eek: This includes DVC in room units and the ones in the laundry rooms(for studio folks).

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And I dont like my mf being spent on housekeeping that doesnt happen

It is not, nor should it be, any type of recommended or standard cleaning procedure to waste water & energy running an empty washer in every unit that has one and may have been used. I would severely reprimand any housekeeper or resort manager that would suggest it or pay claims for damaged clothing from washing. It is a ridiculous thing to even suggest.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
bleach residue in the unit washer

theoretically, you could have prevented that, compared to a technical problem

not sure how a technical problem might be handled, and certainly varies by property

if you were talking about hotel laundry service, heres an example of luxury service >

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/a-hotel-head-butlers-day
a colored sock has made its way into a load of white underwear, staining everything pea green. He sends an assistant to purchase a set of the same brand. “We won’t enlighten the guest—some things are best left unsaid.”

and actually, you never know what luxury housekeeping might include, for example >
http://www.fourseasons.com/houston/...luxury_apartments/frequently_asked_questions/
Housekeeping services include:
Washing dishes (in the dishwasher)

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
*Note to self - run wash machine without any clothes before using.

I was thinking the same thing. It might not even be a bad idea to purchase one of the machine cleaning tablets or detergents to run through the machine. I guess it just depends on the value of the clothes and how large the loads you run. We typically take fewer clothes with us on vacation and run small loads. The loss would be minimal in our case and, they're rarely what I'd consider "good" clothes. Adaquate for vacation but certainly not expensive or irreplacable clothing.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I stay at a timeshare, I expect the appliances to work. I absolutely think Deb should be compensated if it was a washer in her unit. If it was in a public or common area to do laundry then my thoughts change.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Compensation

I'm checking out later today so I need some quick advice. I decided to wash a few things yesterday and there must have been some bleach residue in the unit washer. The clothes are all ruined. Can I expect compensation? What is reasonable?

Deb

This one is a little hard to determine only because it becomes your word vs theirs to what happened.
We were compensated at a resort years ago when washing some clothes and a brand new sweatshirt got trapped in spin (thing in the middle). We couldn't get the sweatshirt out and called the office. They sent maintanance to our unit and he took part of the machine apart and there was a broken piece of the machine there. The office then called us and asked us to come down. We went and they took a report and said they would send us a check for $25 which is what we had paid. (I felt pretty good about the resort and the response). Check never came so after a few months we called. We found out that nobody ever told the resort mgr. and about a week later a box came to our house with 2 sweatshirts from the resort (one for me, one for my wife) with the resort name across the front and a letter of apology. We were very happy with the end result and followed up by writing a letter to the corporation complementing them on the resort mgr. The resort mgr. said she would retrain the staff and since then we have been back several times and everyone there always has been great in putting the customer first.
Bart

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the OP would be happy with a free night or weekend stay as compensation? That seems to be the happy medium to me.

If the OP is expecting to fully compensated for the clothes, then I think it shows the problem we have as a society today. To be clear, I am not saying the OP ever suggested that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Have to agree - use at your own risk. The resort / HOA cannot be expected to know what the last user(s) did to their equipment. If you're worried about "leftovers" in the washer then run a load without clothes first. It may not clear everything but that might help. Or wait til you get home to do the wash.

I don't see any compensation due.

It is not, nor should it be, any type of recommended or standard cleaning procedure to waste water & energy running an empty washer in every unit that has one and may have been used. I would severely reprimand any housekeeper or resort manager that would suggest it or pay claims for damaged clothing from washing. It is a ridiculous thing to even suggest.

In the first post, you recommend running a load without clothes first, then you say it would be a waste of energy and water to do it in the second? If the resorts don't do it and we opt to do it ourselves, isn't it the same waste? Perhaps running the resorts towels through first might help. Though there is then the chance that they are ruined also? More costs to the HOA. Also, how often is the dishwasher run at the end of a stay with only four or five dishes in it?

I am sure if this had happened to anyone else in this thread, their out of luck and write it off comments might be felt a little differently by them. It is easy to write it off when it is not your load of clothes that were ruined.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
When I stay at a timeshare, I expect the appliances to work. I absolutely think Deb should be compensated if it was a washer in her unit. If it was in a public or common area to do laundry then my thoughts change.

The appliance did work. The OP didn't make certain it didn't have residue before using it.

Granted I can't say I've ever checked for residue nor have I run an empty machine to rince it out before using it. I will take this lesson to heart and perhaps I'll start running an empty load in an attempt to rinse any residue from the tub.

This is one of the great things about TUG. You can learn from others misfortune and/or mistakes or, you can learn from you own mistakes.

Unfortunately, I do not see this as the resorts responsibility. Perhaps the occupants before have some liability but it would be difficult, if not impossible, to prove.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the first post, you recommend running a load without clothes first, then you say it would be a waste of energy and water to do it in the second? If the resorts don't do it and we opt to do it ourselves, isn't it the same waste? Perhaps running the resorts towels through first might help. Though there is then the chance that they are ruined also? More costs to the HOA. Also, how often is the dishwasher run at the end of a stay with only four or five dishes in it?

I am sure if this had happened to anyone else in this thread, their "SOL" comments might be felt a little differently by them. It is easy to write it off when it is not your load of clothes that were ruined.

Would I run an empty load or a load with resort towels "in case"? Absolutely not. It isn't worth the waste of time, energy or water for what $10 worth of clothes that remotely MIGHT suffer damage? If the washer jammed up & ripped or otherwise damaged the clothing - an obvious malfunction - I would expect the resort to fish it out & offer a token amount of value for replacement. I wouldn't place an expensive or brand new item in a washer I hadn't already used successfully on other things - I understand not everyone is careful with a semi-public piece of equipment such as those in any timeshare. I'd just take that item home so our washer can mess it up if it decides to (then maybe I can ask Best Buy to replace it? After all, they sold it to us!)

It is way beyond any reasonable expectations that after each stay the laundry equipment will be tested/cleaned. If that was the case then, as an earlier post mentioned, it's time to remove them all from units (and I sure wouldn't like that!). Use the theory that it's a shared and unknown item that should you choose to use it is at your own risk. Or take your stuff home to wash. Expecting perfection from anything mechanical or shared is expecting way too much. Life has risks small and large. A few spots on some clothes is one easily eaten or forgotten if it occurs. Small potatoes in the bigger picture & not worth fussing over.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how this could even happen? I'm sitting here wondering how bleach could even remain in the washer to do damage like this. Did the previous user take the previous load out before it finished? I don't get it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can someone explain how this could even happen? I'm sitting here wondering how bleach could even remain in the washer to do damage like this. Did the previous user take the previous load out before it finished? I don't get it.

It could very well be mechanical malfunction. Did the washer have a bleach dispenser that didn't empty completely during the prior cycle. The only other way would have been for the prior user to put bleach in the machine after the last load was run.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very ODD. A rinse cycle would have removed "bleachy water" during that spin cycle - leaving damp clothes. With a digital machine, the "cancel" function pumps ALL the water out as well. If the washer was a "wheel" timer or nondigital machine, the clothes either were partial spinned dry (else they were dripping, bleachly wet clothes when removed) or there was water left in the bottom of the washer. But the dial was then turned to off/restart by someone.

Now, if a prankster was involved and poured an amount of bleach into the bottom of an empty washer - YES, then the next user of the machine would have DAMAGE to their clothes.

How likely is that to happen?

PS Bleach does have an oder. I would be unhappy; I will now run my first wash empty, too.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or the housekeeper cleaned the washer with bleach and didn't rinse it out ....

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

Good point - who travels with bleach? Or for that matter, has enough whites to make up a load?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am still surprised by the responses to this thread. To clarify, I don't know if there was bleach residue. I only suggested that as a possibility. What I do know is that my clothes were ruined. And, yes, I expect the washer and dryer in my unit to be in proper working condition just like I expect the refrigerator to be running and the toilet to flush.

I am not one to complain about a little inconvenience but when my personal property is damaged through no fault of my own, I think compensation is justified.

As I stated earlier, I filed a claim. The resort security officer was extremely apologetic and said they would take care of it. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Then you can all be incensed about that as well.

Deb

dwojo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still surprised by the responses to this thread. To clarify, I don't know if there was bleach residue. I only suggested that as a possibility. What I do know is that my clothes were ruined. And, yes, I expect the washer and dryer in my unit to be in proper working condition just like I expect the refrigerator to be running and the toilet to flush.

I am not one to complain about a little inconvenience but when my personal property is damaged through no fault of my own, I think compensation is justified.

As I stated earlier, I filed a claim. The resort security officer was extremely apologetic and said they would take care of it. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Then you can all be incensed about that as well.

Deb
Compensation for faulty equiptment seems reasonable

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

Deb

FWIW, I once had a camera stolen out of my unit during a timeshare stay. I had foolishly left it sitting on the kitchen table with the curtains open and visable to anyone walking by. I notified the resort, security came by, they checked the electronic lock on the door and could tell someone from the resort had entered our room, took a report and I never heard another word from the resort thereafter.

I didn't expect compenstation from the resort despite the fact we suffered a loss of personal property. Why should I? Thefts happen everywhere. I'm sure the resorts make every attempt to hire quality people but every now and then you get a bad apple. My beef would be with the employee or person who stole my camera, not the resort itself.

Your beef isn't with the resort either but with the machine you put your colthes into. Sure they took a report but, like me, my bet is you hear nothing about it past the filing of the report. Stuff happens, even to the most cautious.

I'm amazed that so many expect perfection from others while never being perfect themselves. This was an accident. It was not intentional. If it was intentional or perhaps caused by less than expected service (maintaining a safe environment such as working locks or grounded outlets) I might feel a little different. But that's not the case. It is unreasonable to expect everything to be in prefect working order when there are so many different people sharing the same space of the course of a year.

I have had appliances in timeshare units not work properly. For instance we've had toilets that failed and dishwashers that were in less than optimal working order.

Let's say, for the sake of the arguement, that the refrigerator went bad while you were out. Would you expect the resort to replace all the food you had stored in it? Who's liable if it happens in your own home? Stuff happens. Keeping food in the refigerator is a risk you take but, it's a low risk so we all take it.

One can not expect someone is always liable when stuff happens. In this case, no one is liable and compensation should not be expected or should it be paid.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
When we travel we pack clothes that are a little past their prime. (Not hobo rags, but not our best clothes, either.) That way, if we need more room packing for the return trip, "leaving clothes in a drawer" is an option.

If our vacation clothes were ruined by a malicious washing machine, our response would be, "Who cares?"

It's an imperfect world. Stuff happens. Expecting compensation only raises the cost for everyone else. And I'm not interested in subsidizing someone elses clothes. (Speaking as a hypothetical owner at this resort.)

Next time, don't pack the good clothes. It's a vacation, not a fashion show.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point - who travels with bleach? Or for that matter, has enough whites to make up a load?

I believe the OP was staying in Orlando. There is a company called Owners Locker where you can rent these tubs that they store for you and deliver and pick up from your resort.

Many DVC'ers have 2-3 of these tubs, and I think there are a lot of them that have a container of bleach to clean the jacuzzi tubs. So it is possible

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone pointed out that one possible way for the bleach to have entered the washer tub would have been if housekeeping, as a matter of procedure, uses bleach to clean the tubs between guests (unlikely, but possible). If this turns out to be the case, then I would say that the OP is entitled to compensation of some sort, as then the incident can be presumed to be the fault of the resort and is simply a result of negligence. If this isn't the case, and the resort can't be proven to be responsible, then I stick with my original thought that no compensation is warranted.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I believe the OP was staying in Orlando. There is a company called Owners Locker where you can rent these tubs that they store for you and deliver and pick up from your resort.

Many DVC'ers have 2-3 of these tubs, and I think there are a lot of them that have a container of bleach to clean the jacuzzi tubs. So it is possible

It's also possible that they picked up a small bottle of bleach at the store.
It's not what I'd consider an expensive item.

I've been known to purchase laundry soap at the store and just leave what's left over for the maid if they want it. It's often cheaper than buying the individual mini-boxes sold by the resort. Since we travel somewhat light, we do laundry frequently when on a timeshare vacation. Currently, we've been using the Purex washer/dryer sheets rather than buying laundry detergent every time we travel.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Someone pointed out that one possible way for the bleach to have entered the washer tub would have been if housekeeping, as a matter of procedure, uses bleach to clean the tubs between guests (unlikely, but possible). If this turns out to be the case, then I would say that the OP is entitled to compensation of some sort, as then the incident can be presumed to be the fault of the resort and is simply a result of negligence. If this isn't the case, and the resort can't be proven to be responsible, then I stick with my original thought that no compensation is warranted.

If that's the case I would be inclined to agree. In this case, we know who's liable, the cleaning service. But if they don't then the person who caused the problem was the guest in the unit before the OP and that person would be liable IMHO, not the resort.

I have serious doubts that the cleaning service does anything past emptying the lint trap in the dryer when it comes to the washer/dryer combo's.