• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Compensation for laundry ruined by resort washer?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without question the resort should pay for the lost food. At the very least they should offer to put it in a common fridge/freezer until another is found or the original is replaced.

I don't think this is any different than if a pipe bursts, electricity is out, etc.

When you stay at a timeshare you understand that everything should be in working order. If it is broken it should be fixed. It isn't like you are in your own house. You are a paying guest. Even if you are staying in your own unit, your maintenance fees cover the management of the resort and your unit.

Let's say, for the sake of the arguement, that the refrigerator went bad while you were out. Would you expect the resort to replace all the food you had stored in it?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Without question the resort should pay for the lost food. At the very least they should offer to put it in a common fridge/freezer until another is found or the original is replaced.

I don't think this is any different than if a pipe bursts, electricity is out, etc.

When you stay at a timeshare you understand that everything should be in working order. If it is broken it should be fixed. It isn't like you are in your own house. You are a paying guest. Even if you are staying in your own unit, your maintenance fees cover the management of the resort and your unit.

Exactly. The resort is responsible for any reasonable damages to your personal property due to a malfunction of their equipment. We paid for the equipment - including washer and dryer - and are entitled to use it as if we were home. I see no reason to bring cheap and/or disposable clothes when the resort states that washer/dryer is included with the unit.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I see it, there was nothing defective with the resort's equipment. Neither I (nor the OP) can explain how/why bleach remained in the tub for a week without someone at least smelling it. It was an accident. Nothing more.

Reading this thread, I do find it interesting/curious that the opinions regarding responsibility/compensation run almost 100% divided by gender- as much as we can determine TUGgers' gender. The women feel that some compensation is due. The men feel that use of the in unit laundry is at the risk of the user.

I am the stay-at-home member of our household and as such do some laundry. Countless times, (well maybe not countless, but a few) I have been chastised for washing or drying DW's duds too hot, wrong cycle, don't dry THAT- it's always something, so I seldom touch her stuff now and muddle through life in my own clearly mal-washed apparel.

Interesting. This laundry thing clearly has more importance to the distaff set.

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I see it, there was nothing defective with the resort's equipment. Neither I (nor the OP) can explain how/why bleach remained in the tub for a week without someone at least smelling it. It was an accident. Nothing more.

Jim

Precisely. Nobody has given any reason to believe that any equipment malfunctioned. I too have yet to come up with a plausible explanation for bleach being in the washer tub, particularly at the end of the stay.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
How to remove bleach spots

Amazingly enough, it IS possible to remove bleach spots. Many years ago I called Proctor and Gamble to ask about quarter-sized white spots that had appeared on the top of my then toddler-daughter's bright turquoise dress. I thought perhaps it was caused by their detergent, though later found out it was likely from the recently bleach-cleaned table in the day care center.

Anyway, the answer was dye transfer - to re-transfer the dye back onto the spots from which it had been removed. As I recall, the process was to soak the dress in straight detergent; I poured a cupfull into a big bowl and squished it through the dress. I think the general idea is that that was too strong a dose of detergent for the dye to withstand, so apparently loosened the dye in the dress. Let that sit for about 30-60 minutes, then squeeze the detergent through the dress again, then pour the hottest water the fabric can stand over the dress/detergent. Then wash it in the hottest water the fabric can stand.

The white spots were GONE, the entire dress was once again bright turquoise, and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find where the bleached spots had even been.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

But, the refirgerator wasn't broken when you put food in it. In my scenario, it goes out during your stay. Sorry, but there is no liablity there. You might want someone to be liable but, wanting and being are two different things. It's one of those things that falls under "stuff happens."

Somewhere down the line we as a society expect that anything bad which befalls us MUST be someone elses fault and that someone else has to pay. When we became that way I don't know but IMHO it's a troubling trend.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Exactly. The resort is responsible for any reasonable damages to your personal property due to a malfunction of their equipment. We paid for the equipment - including washer and dryer - and are entitled to use it as if we were home. I see no reason to bring cheap and/or disposable clothes when the resort states that washer/dryer is included with the unit.

Only if there is liability and, an appliance breaking isn't considered cause for liability unless you can prove they did something, such as unplugging the appliance, to cause the outage.

I'll give you an example from past real life experience.

You park you car in the parking lot next to a shed. It's windy that day and a maintenance man opens the door to the shed. At that very moment, a strong wing comes up, rips the door out of the maintenance mans hands and it puts a big scratch down the side of your car.

So, is there liablity? Does the resort owe you anything? If you answered yes you answered wrong. This happened to a client of mine and he was mad as heck but, the wind was considered an act of God and the maintenance man acted in a manner consitant with normal ordinary care. There was no liablity and there was no payment.

Unless the resort causes the refirgerator to go out due to neglegence, there is no liablity.

In the OP's case, unless the resort did something considered out of the ordinary that would create a hazard, there is no claim, there is no liablity and there is no reason to give compensation unless it's out of the goodness of their hearts. Many businesses won't act out of the goodness of their hearts because it can set a precedent that will need to be followed in the future.

Stuff happens. There isn't always someone to blame and there isn't always someone who has to pay.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out later today so I need some quick advice. I decided to wash a few things yesterday and there must have been some bleach residue in the unit washer. The clothes are all ruined. Can I expect compensation? What is reasonable?

Deb

I am still surprised by the responses to this thread. To clarify, I don't know if there was bleach residue. I only suggested that as a possibility. What I do know is that my clothes were ruined. And, yes, I expect the washer and dryer in my unit to be in proper working condition just like I expect the refrigerator to be running and the toilet to flush.

I am not one to complain about a little inconvenience but when my personal property is damaged through no fault of my own, I think compensation is justified.

As I stated earlier, I filed a claim. The resort security officer was extremely apologetic and said they would take care of it. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Then you can all be incensed about that as well.

Deb
So you opened the thread saying you were asking advice as to whether you can "expect compsnsation" and "what is reasonable". But then after getting a number of responses that said you shouldn't expect anything, you are "surprised" at the responses. Then you provide the additional information that you had already filed a complaint.

Maybe I'm being dense but after reading your second post I deduce that despite what you initially posted you had, in fact, already decided that compensation was expected. Methinks that when you started this thread what ou were really seeking was backing and support for what you had already concluded, and not others opinions about what you should do. Otherwise, why are you now surprised to find that most of use are not rallying to your side?

(And if I'm correct, as Jim (Passepartout) noted, that point shot by most of the men, as would be expected.)

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Only if there is liability and, an appliance breaking isn't considered cause for liability unless you can prove they did something, such as unplugging the appliance, to cause the outage.

I'll give you an example from past real life experience.

You park you car in the parking lot next to a shed. It's windy that day and a maintenance man opens the door to the shed. At that very moment, a strong wing comes up, rips the door out of the maintenance mans hands and it puts a big scratch down the side of your car.

So, is there liablity? Does the resort owe you anything? If you answered yes you answered wrong. This happened to a client of mine and he was mad as heck but, the wind was considered an act of God and the maintenance man acted in a manner consitant with normal ordinary care. There was no liablity and there was no payment.

Unless the resort causes the refirgerator to go out due to neglegence, there is no liablity.

In the OP's case, unless the resort did something considered out of the ordinary that would create a hazard, there is no claim, there is no liablity and there is no reason to give compensation unless it's out of the goodness of their hearts. Many businesses won't act out of the goodness of their hearts because it can set a precedent that will need to be followed in the future.

Stuff happens. There isn't always someone to blame and there isn't always someone who has to pay.

Very interesting. Thanks for the example, Doug.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, a brewing firestorm over laundry washing machines - it must surely be a slow news day. :p

It will be a simple random act if the resort compensates the OP - and if they do so - it will be most likely to get rid of the bur she has placed under their saddle.

I'm packing for Waikiki so "meh, who cares". :p :p :p

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you Deb, I'd be devastated.

We purchase travel insurance which covers damage or loss of personal clothing etc. Maybe it is different there but we can purchase policies for an entire year. Sometimes our credit cards have a "travel insurance" component included too.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Very interesting. Thanks for the example, Doug.

I'll give you one more real life example where liability might be expected but does not exist.

I was driving my car in a snow storm. I topped a hill and, like 4 or 5 cars before me, found it a solid sheet of ice on the other side. My car slid down the hill, striking three of the previous cars as it went. My car was later hit by the next car to cap the hill, which just happened to be a patrol car.

One of the owners of the car I struck assumed that I had liability for striking his car with mine. My insurance comany denied the claim. Not satisfied, he filed suit and we went to court. He lost.

Why did he lose? Because there was no liability. I acted as any other prudent driver would act in that situation and I did not create the hazard which resulted in the accident.

Just because you suffer damage does not mean there is liability. You can't expect compenstation for everything that happens in your life. It's not always someone elses fault and there isn't always someone else to blame.

In the situation of the washing machine, the resort management group can hardly be held to blaim unless there was something wrong with the machine, the OP can prove there was something wrong with the machine, the resort knew there was something wrong with the machine and the resort did nothing to fix the problem or warn the guest that the machine was malfunctioning.

There is no liablity in this situation, compensation should not be expect nor should it be paid. Yes you can file a claim but there is nothing saying the claim will be paid. I would be surprised if any compensation if offered but, I've been surprised before. It certainly didn't hurt to file the claim.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So you opened the thread saying you were asking advice as to whether you can "expect compsnsation" and "what is reasonable". But then after getting a number of responses that said you shouldn't expect anything, you are "surprised" at the responses. Then you provide the additional information that you had already filed a complaint.

Maybe I'm being dense but after reading your second post I deduce that despite what you initially posted you had, in fact, already decided that compensation was expected. Methinks that when you started this thread what ou were really seeking was backing and support for what you had already concluded, and not others opinions about what you should do. Otherwise, why are you now surprised to find that most of use are not rallying to your side?

(And if I'm correct, as Jim (Passepartout) noted, that point shot by most of the men, as would be expected.)

Yep, I asked for advice and then later that day before checking out, talked to the front desk clerk about it. She recommended that I file a claim with security. I'm not surprised that everyone hasn't agreed with me. I'm surprised at the nasty tone of many of the posts, yours included.

TUG has certainly changed over the years and is now a place where people really enjoy judging others - sweeping criticisms, people posting that they KNOW that the machine didn't malfunction, blame the victim: it was my own fault for not thoroughly cleaning the washer before use or for bringing nice clothes on vacation, etc. It really is amazing and disappointing. HEY EVERYBODY! I'm a real person! Is it so hard to understand that I'd be upset about my favorite shirts being ruined?? Is it so hard to post an opinion without the self righteous, smug attitude?

I didn't throw a fit or demand anything from the resort. I reported a problem and they requested I fill out a claim form. Someone called yesterday but I missed the call. I appreciate their kindness and the follow up.

Deb

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read your first post. Sounds like you didn't do any wash until the day before checkout. From the resort's point of view, how could they know who left the bleach inside? If it was earlier in your stay, it would be more obvious it was the previous renter or housekeeping.
Will be interested if you hear back, since you are now probably home.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,

Thanks for posting. We have used washer/dryers in timeshares many times and never have had a problem, but there is always a first time. As a result of your post, we will take do somethings before we use the washer/dryer. Any recommendations on what we should do? We sure don't want the same thing happen to us while we are timesharing!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief. Compensation??? Really??

Move on. Life is way too short. It really is.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Readers can interpret tone not meant in reading typed words.

Found out via emails among family, insults were taken when none were intended. I tend to be brief and my sister took offense going on and on and on re my being inconsiderate. :shrug: over a minor matter in my mind that was over. It didn't help she works at a computer and I do not plus hadn't checked my email for a few days. Same sister torked off a cousin via emails , me oh my.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Deb,

Thanks for posting. We have used washer/dryers in timeshares many times and never have had a problem, but there is always a first time. As a result of your post, we will take do somethings before we use the washer/dryer. Any recommendations on what we should do? We sure don't want the same thing happen to us while we are timesharing!

I think we will all be a bit more cautious now. I only use the unit machines on occasion and as necessary. This one actually looked brand new and there was no indication that anyone used bleach. I only suggested bleach as the culprit because of the type of discoloration on my clothes. I wonder if it could have been new and that the resort should have run a few cycles to remove any lubricant and residue left from the manufacturer. It's really hard to tell.

Others suggested running a rinse cycle or a load of resort towels first. The stains wouldn't have appeared on white towels but maybe any residue would have been removed. I sure wouldn't use the unit washer for delicate items. I thought a few t-shirts and underwear would be safe. Ack! I'll be off to Eddie Bauer this week to replace my favorites.

I should also say that I appreciate the supportive comments and those that offered advice. PJ, I might try your dye trick. Thanks!

Deb

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both of the examples given in this thread were claims denied by insurance companies because of 'acts of god' IMO, unrelated to the OP's problem, if a rain storm had come through and flooded the room, that would have been an 'act of god' and not a covered loss, but general maintenance of a machine doesn't fall under that exclusion....and BTW, i work for a property insurance company(not as an Examiner/adjuster though, i'm just a typist), just because the insurance company decides THEY aren't liable and disclaim the loss, doesn't mean YOU aren't

Here's an example, you go to use the BBQ on the deck of your TS and because the Resorted hadn't been maintaining it, the gas valve is rusted and clogged with 'gunk' you light it up and the gunk melts, the rust gives way and it explodes the rusted shards come flying out and end up implanted in your chest and stomach...

Legally there is a minimum level of maintenance expected by hotel/motels on the equipment on the appliances in their rooms...while i don't know anything about Washing Machines, it seems by the responses in this thread that the 'bleach issue' wasn't just bleach sitting in the bottom of the tub, but a maintenance issue with the machine itself

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG has certainly changed over the years and is now a place where people really enjoy judging others - sweeping criticisms, people posting that they KNOW that the machine didn't malfunction, blame the victim: it was my own fault for not thoroughly cleaning the washer before use or for bringing nice clothes on vacation, etc.

None of the above. I just happen to believe that things happen. Phone company drops phone calls; trash blows into your pool; dog craps in your yard; etc. I just happen to believe that generally you live with life's little unfairnesses and move on.

George

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Yep, I asked for advice and then later that day before checking out, talked to the front desk clerk about it. She recommended that I file a claim with security. I'm not surprised that everyone hasn't agreed with me. I'm surprised at the nasty tone of many of the posts, yours included.

TUG has certainly changed over the years and is now a place where people really enjoy judging others - sweeping criticisms, people posting that they KNOW that the machine didn't malfunction, blame the victim: it was my own fault for not thoroughly cleaning the washer before use or for bringing nice clothes on vacation, etc. It really is amazing and disappointing. HEY EVERYBODY! I'm a real person! Is it so hard to understand that I'd be upset about my favorite shirts being ruined?? Is it so hard to post an opinion without the self righteous, smug attitude?

I didn't throw a fit or demand anything from the resort. I reported a problem and they requested I fill out a claim form. Someone called yesterday but I missed the call. I appreciate their kindness and the follow up.

Deb

Who's judging? Most are just stating they don't believe there is any liability on the resorts part and that you shouldn't expect compensation. If not agreeing with you is judgemental than I guess TUG is a judgemental forum. Not everyone agree's with my opinion either but I don't feel like they're judging me. They're just stating their opinion.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Both of the examples given in this thread were claims denied by insurance companies because of 'acts of god' IMO, unrelated to the OP's problem, if a rain storm had come through and flooded the room, that would have been an 'act of god' and not a covered loss, but general maintenance of a machine doesn't fall under that exclusion....and BTW, i work for a property insurance company(not as an Examiner/adjuster though, i'm just a typist), just because the insurance company decides THEY aren't liable and disclaim the loss, doesn't mean YOU aren't

Here's an example, you go to use the BBQ on the deck of your TS and because the Resorted hadn't been maintaining it, the gas valve is rusted and clogged with 'gunk' you light it up and the gunk melts, the rust gives way and it explodes the rusted shards come flying out and end up implanted in your chest and stomach...

Legally there is a minimum level of maintenance expected by hotel/motels on the equipment on the appliances in their rooms...while i don't know anything about Washing Machines, it seems by the responses in this thread that the 'bleach issue' wasn't just bleach sitting in the bottom of the tub, but a maintenance issue with the machine itself

I've boldened the important words in your post. Not maintaining something is cause for liablity and compensation should be forthcoming. You could say the same about defective parts on new cars causing accidents.

From the OP's post, it does not appear to be a case of poor maintanence. It is impossible to tell what exactly happened that casued the issue but, if it's residual bleach as the OP suspected, then the resort did not cause that issue and there is no liablity on the part of the resort.

If it is in fact a maintenance issue with the machine, then yes, there could be cause for compenstation. However, with what we've been told that would be a huge leap of faith.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off topic -

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed we now live in a society of thin-skinned people that are offended, hurt, or object to things that people of the past didn't bat an eye at? Everyone is either a victim, or has a label.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off topic -

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed we now live in a society of thin-skinned people that are offended, hurt, or object to things that people of the past didn't bat an eye at? Everyone is either a victim, or has a label.

In the past people generally tried to help each other in situations like this, they didn't say 'too bad for you' there was an air of 'people first' and customer service ruled

I think the problem isn't that people are more easily offended now, its that too many people are just telling people to *^$% off, instead of actually treating them as people or trying to help, this country has become selfish and arrogant and if it doesn't effect them or their 'reality TV stars' they just don't care

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score