• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Compensation for laundry ruined by resort washer?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something just struck me:

I wonder how many people are saying, 'you're not due compensation' simply because it could mean their MF's going up?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
A label like "thin skinned"? :hysterical:

No. Labels as in those people willingly assign themselves and loved ones in an attempt to shield them from lifes outrageous unfairnesses. You know, things like grades in school, or being on the losing team.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it...

Something just struck me:

I wonder how many people are saying, 'you're not due compensation' simply because it could mean their MF's going up?

Frankly, I don't think that's really a factor at all. Instead, I think that post #16 in this thread (...and no, it's not mine) really summarizes it all best and quite succinctly. In essence, briefly paraphrasing, that post correctly observes that sometimes "stuff happens" through no fault of our own --- but that does not mean that it must then somehow be the fault of someone else.

I'll add my own postscript --- when the aforementioned "stuff" in life for which we are not at fault happens, the unfortunate occurrence is not somehow automatically an entitlement to some "compensation" either...

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the past people generally tried to help each other in situations like this, they didn't say 'too bad for you' there was an air of 'people first' and customer service ruled

I think the problem isn't that people are more easily offended now, its that too many people are just telling people to *^$% off, instead of actually treating them as people or trying to help, this country has become selfish and arrogant and if it doesn't effect them or their 'reality TV stars' they just don't care

A direct result of the overly litigated society we have evolved into. Now days if you give someone $20 for "ruined" clothes from an unproven "problem" with a washer the HOA/Resort could find itself on the hook, due to a "precedence", for anything that occurs in a unit - even if clearly a mistake by the owner/guest. Better today to say "Sorry but we don't take responsibility for things we do not directly control" - and move on.

Thank this type of "claim" for things that should be accepted as part of any life. It sets up unreasonable expectations that anything/everything that occurs to someone is somehow the fault of someone else & the aggrieved party needs to be "compensated". Then in come the shysters more than happy to exploit the situation to their benefit & damaging virtually eveyone else.

This should be written off as a bad occurrence, the OP should take whatever precautions they feel they need in the future (none of it will change how we use washer/dryers in timeshares or at laundromats where the problem is FAR more likely to occur - we should waste the money to run an empty load before we wash ours? I don't think so!). Again, this is way too much ado about an extremely minor thing. If this is their biggest worry they have led a very sheltered life methinks.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I asked for advice and then later that day before checking out, talked to the front desk clerk about it. She recommended that I file a claim with security. I'm not surprised that everyone hasn't agreed with me. I'm surprised at the nasty tone of many of the posts, yours included.

TUG has certainly changed over the years and is now a place where people really enjoy judging others - sweeping criticisms, people posting that they KNOW that the machine didn't malfunction, blame the victim: it was my own fault for not thoroughly cleaning the washer before use or for bringing nice clothes on vacation, etc. It really is amazing and disappointing. HEY EVERYBODY! I'm a real person! Is it so hard to understand that I'd be upset about my favorite shirts being ruined?? Is it so hard to post an opinion without the self righteous, smug attitude?

I didn't throw a fit or demand anything from the resort. I reported a problem and they requested I fill out a claim form. Someone called yesterday but I missed the call. I appreciate their kindness and the follow up.

Deb

Two potential posts:

1. Bummer, sorry your clothes got wrecked. I doubt there'll be compensation, though. (focus on the topics of wrecked clothes and compensation, states opinion without insult or judging the poster)
  2. You are expecting compensation for something that wasn't the resort's fault. Deal with it and stop complaining. (focus on previous poster, insulting tone)

When posters move from discussing the topic/query of the original post to discussing the person posting, posts can become less courteous. This is similar to discussing/arguing with another person. Use of "you" makes the discussion/argument accusatory and less effective, as in "I don't like it when..." vs "You....".

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
A direct result of the overly litigated society we have evolved into. Now days if you give someone $20 for "ruined" clothes from an unproven "problem" with a washer the HOA/Resort could find itself on the hook, due to a "precedence", for anything that occurs in a unit - even if clearly a mistake by the owner/guest. Better today to say "Sorry but we don't take responsibility for things we do not directly control" - and move on.

Thank this type of "claim" for things that should be accepted as part of any life. It sets up unreasonable expectations that anything/everything that occurs to someone is somehow the fault of someone else & the aggrieved party needs to be "compensated". Then in come the shysters more than happy to exploit the situation to their benefit & damaging virtually eveyone else.

This should be written off as a bad occurrence, the OP should take whatever precautions they feel they need in the future (none of it will change how we use washer/dryers in timeshares or at laundromats where the problem is FAR more likely to occur - we should waste the money to run an empty load before we wash ours? I don't think so!). Again, this is way too much ado about an extremely minor thing. If this is their biggest worry they have led a very sheltered life methinks.

Now this brings up a question in my mind.

If you are charged for using the machines, then would it be considered a service for payment and, wouldn't the expectations standard be higher? If I'm having to pay to use a washer/dryer I would think the standard of care/maintenance would be higher and, the possiblity of being responsible for damges greater to the resort.

If the service is provided as a convenience only, the risk might be lower and thus the standard for liability lower or use at your own risk.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Comment from DW --
"When I do a load of laundry after you or someone else, I always check the washer+dryer for residue+stuff."

Me -- "Life isn't fair."
How do we know that life isn't fair?
If life was fair... then _this_ is what fairness would be.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can make this into your platform about whether or not we sue at the drop of a hat if you want.

My perspective is that when I pay to stay somewhere I expect it to meet my expectations. If something goes wrong I want it to be fixed. If something goes wrong and I'm out of pocket, I want my money/property back the way I started. Tell me why that expectation is unreasonable. Your argument about "stuff happens" doesn't make sense to me.

Now, if I'm staying at a friends condo or beach house for free I have a totally different view on this topic, just like I do in my own house. It's the contract of paying for service that makes me want to be compensated, not the event.

But, the refirgerator wasn't broken when you put food in it. In my scenario, it goes out during your stay. Sorry, but there is no liablity there. You might want someone to be liable but, wanting and being are two different things. It's one of those things that falls under "stuff happens."

Somewhere down the line we as a society expect that anything bad which befalls us MUST be someone elses fault and that someone else has to pay. When we became that way I don't know but IMHO it's a troubling trend.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought you'd all be interested in the resolution. The resort is a Starwood property and I got a call today offering me points as compensation. I thought this was generous and I appreciate their prompt attention to this.

It is probably easier for a Starwood property to hand out points than it would be for a small independent to offer cash. It was a nice gesture.

Deb

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you'd all be interested in the resolution. The resort is a Starwood property and I got a call today offering me points as compensation.....

It was a nice gesture.

Deb

And gesture it was. No admission of responsibility, no cost to them to make you feel like a satisfied guest. And no compensation for ruined clothes- which I thought was the initial complaint. Works for me.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you'd all be interested in the resolution. The resort is a Starwood property and I got a call today offering me points as compensation. I thought this was generous and I appreciate their prompt attention to this.

It is probably easier for a Starwood property to hand out points than it would be for a small independent to offer cash. It was a nice gesture.

Deb

Does that work for you? Can you use the points, and did you find the value of the points adequate?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And gesture it was. No admission of responsibility, no cost to them to make you feel like a satisfied guest. And no compensation for ruined clothes- which I thought was the initial complaint. Works for me.

Jim

Huh, I didn't realize you were listening in on the phone call. Please do not tell me what was or was not said.

PJ, we do use spg points and the amount offered reflects the value of the damaged clothes. I am satisfied and happy to put the matter behind us.

Deb

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

Deb

Deb, thanks for letting us know. If you're happy with the outcome that's all that really matters. And by sharing your ordeal with us, we can all learn from it. Thanks again for keeping us informed throughout the process.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Deb

Well, it's better than nothing. At least they want to do something in an effort to keep guests happy.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I do take some of my favorite clothes on vacation and would be very upset if they were ruined. I guess I'll join the throw in towels or something first group.
Liz

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
we do use spg points and the amount offered reflects the value of the damaged clothes. I am satisfied and happy to put the matter behind us.

Deb

Excellent outcome. I'm pleased it worked out for you.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score

Deb

no compensation for ruined clothes-

Jim

How is this not Compensation for the ruined clothes? Points, Nights, Dollars, New Clothes, these are all forms of compensation...

I'm glad they took responsibility and it worked out for you Deb!

chrispy08

Reaction score
I can't believe I let my curiosity get the better of me and I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading 95 posts about laundry problems!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Excellent outcome. I'm pleased it worked out for you.

Me too . . . and I also learned something that hopefully will prevent me from having a bad laundry experience in a timeshare or rental cottage stay in the future.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I can't believe I let my curiosity get the better of me and I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading 95 posts about laundry problems!

Hey, clothing is an important aspect of our lives.
How'd you like to go around wearing spotted apparel? :eek:

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both of the examples given in this thread were claims denied by insurance companies because of 'acts of god' IMO, unrelated to the OP's problem, if a rain storm had come through and flooded the room, that would have been an 'act of god' and not a covered loss, but general maintenance of a machine doesn't fall under that exclusion....and BTW, i work for a property insurance company(not as an Examiner/adjuster though, i'm just a typist), just because the insurance company decides THEY aren't liable and disclaim the loss, doesn't mean YOU aren't
Actually, in the cases mentioned the insurance company denying compensation to someone else does in fact mean they believe you are not liable. That's the whole point of insurance - the claim is paid by insurer of the person responsible (unless you're in a no-fault state). In the case of the driver who thought someone else was responsible, he own insurance would end up paying the claim.
Off topic -

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed we now live in a society of thin-skinned people that are offended, hurt, or object to things that people of the past didn't bat an eye at? Everyone is either a victim, or has a label.

You're not the only one to notice. Part of it may just be a matter of perspective and impressions. So much communication is done by texting and short soundbites that people don't communicate as well.

In the past people generally tried to help each other in situations like this, they didn't say 'too bad for you' there was an air of 'people first' and customer service ruled

I think the problem isn't that people are more easily offended now, its that too many people are just telling people to *^$% off, instead of actually treating them as people or trying to help, this country has become selfish and arrogant and if it doesn't effect them or their 'reality TV stars' they just don't care
You're correct, people have become selfish and arrogant. But that can be applied to both "sides" of this argument. What I see is a new generation which is used to finding fault, and not used to the idea of personal responsibility. If there is something wrong with the washer, and the last occupant informed the resort, they should inform the guest(s), or remove the offending washer. Otherwise, the guests should use care when operating shared appliances.

I won't say whether I think compensation is due, because we don't know the full details of why the clothing was damaged. This is no different than murder cases being tried in the court of public opinion. If the clothing was of significant value, the OP could file a claim with her own insurance, or perhaps even a travel insurance policy. You would be surprised what some policies cover (of course too many claims results in a poor claim history, and higher premiums).