• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What protection does [Paypal] offer

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I am looking to rent RCI points and from what I have read, a lot of people use paypal. What protection does this offer?

Donna

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
With PayPal neither party will see the others bank or credit card information.
and there are folks that think that offers some protection against identity theft

But It seems to me that once you transfer points to someone elses rci account, there is no guarantee that your customer will actually pay

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am the buyer. I was looking for some protection, it is looking like a leap of faith.

Donna

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
buyer or seller, any retail transaction involves some trust. I suspected you were the buyer, I was asking you to consider the sellers position too. How does he know you will pay? whats his protection?...

TRUST, it's what makes the world go 'round.

Yesterday I bought a burger at a Mc Donalds drive in. I placed my order talking to a plastic clown, and gave my money to someone that just stuck their hand out the window for it.....What guarantee did I have that the bag they gave me at the next window, was actually what I ordered, or that the cook wasnt having a bad day and burned my burger, or that the bread wasnt stale, etc

The guarantee was the Mc Donalds reputation. I trust them (and the owner is my neighbor)

Your best protection is to either know your seller or at least know him by reputation..Perhaps he has positive feedback on ebay, perhaps he is a tug member. perhaps he can give you the name and contact info from a past satisfied customer

I have done timeshare deals in conference calls. My buyer and I on the phone with the resort. Both of us on the computer. The buyer hits the pay now button and I immediately see the money in my account, and the timeshare person does the deed.. ezpz

Bottom line though is that buyer and seller have to trust each other, If you dont then there is no deal...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Paypal is simply a method that a buyer and seller can use to make a secure transfer of funds from one person to another.

If you use a credit card via Paypal, you will be able to dispute the payment with your credit card for (usually) 60 days after the charge appears on your statement. Just like any other credit card purchase.

However, your best protection is doing your own due diligence upfront. Here are some things you can do to verify that the rental is Legit:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109479

If you still aren't comfortable after you do some of the things suggested in the sticky - either there is something about the deal that doesn't seem right, or doing a private rental may not be your cup of tea. Good luck!

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank You

I was able to rent the points I needed and the transaction perfectly. Thank You for your input.

Donna