• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Are Your Determing Factors When Choosing A Resort?

izzykool

Reaction score
One of the things I find most intriguing about having all these options is determining if I can pick a resort that I would enjoy without ever having been to the area to see it up close.

I try to do as much research as I can before making that selection because when I travel my hotel/resort accommodations are PRIORITY. And because I am a very particular about various things, I find myself intensely scrutinizing every detail I can find out about a resort, to make sure that I make the RIGHT choice.

So that leads me to this question. What do you do, when trying to determine if a resort is going to be a right fit for you? Web reviews? Email guest that have stayed there, etc?

Thanks for your feedback!

IzKool

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're not into 'destination' resorts, so the decision on were to go comes down to just 3 things. Location, location, location. The lodging is just that. A place to lay the head between exploring a new place. One pool or beach or Jacuzzi, or granite countertop is pretty much the same as another. If going to Hawaii or Spain or Italy, who cares what the thread count of the sheets is?

We scrutinize cruise ship amenities more closely, because they ARE the destination to a larger degree.

Jim

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
for me its not the resort, its the location....then the price and mf then the ammenities.

If Iim where I want to be...the accommodations are secondary

izzykool

Reaction score
Thanks Jim,

I understand what you are saying, as I am not into that kind of detail either, regarding thread counts. But I do like to focus on some aspects of the room interior such as cleanliness, modern and comfortable furnishings, and what kind of view I will have. The view is crucial for me as I like to have a balcony and sit out and enjoy the ocean, ect...those things are relaxing for me. So I guess to rephase, as I ponder going to Aruba or Cancun, I am trying to determine which resort would I enjoy best that would be clean, have nice amenities, and provide stunning views of the Caribbean.

And since I have never been to either, I'm trying to do the best I can to research and make a good choice. Just curious as to how others might approach this.

Thanks

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We choose a resort we know & liked if we've been there before (low risk of bad unit). If it's a new area we first pick unit size - the nicest resort is at a disadvantage if you're crammed into a studio/1 br if you need/want 2 br & full kitchen -then we look at reviews especially from TUG.

We've seldom been disappointed doing that so we still do.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I always read the reviews here on TUG.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
for me its not the resort, its the location....then the price and mf then the ammenities.

If Iim where I want to be...the accommodations are secondary

Same here.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I check the following in this order:
1 )Photos of the resort - if there are NO photos on the "official" channels of what the interiors look like, it's off the list. THAT'S a huge red flag. If there's no pictures of the interiors, there's a reason for it.

2) In places where there are few timeshares, location obviously is the decider.
However, in Hawaii, Vegas, Orlando, or other overbuilt area, I want the best I can get for my trade.

3) Since I am going on vacation, I want the unit to be as nice or nicer than my own home. Going to a "dump" would not make me relax - which after all, is the point of vacation. I look to see if they have RCI or II awards, check floor plans and bed configurations if possible (need a king in the master, I am not squeezing into a queen), and prefer it if they have a large pool and hot tub available or, ideally, both an indoor and outdoor pool .

4) Then I check TUG reviews, and just for a bit of extra flavor, Trip advisor.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're not into 'destination' resorts, so the decision on were to go comes down to just 3 things. Location, location, location. The lodging is just that. A place to lay the head between exploring a new place. One pool or beach or Jacuzzi, or granite countertop is pretty much the same as another. If going to Hawaii or Spain or Italy, who cares what the thread count of the sheets is?

We scrutinize cruise ship amenities more closely, because they ARE the destination to a larger degree.

Jim

I concur. I look for the places I want to go and then for timeshares that are convenient for them. I do give a preference for a historic property, like a castle, manor house, or other historic building. If I am going to a beach location, I want to be on the beach if possible, and if not, at least within walking distance. If I have to drive to the beach from the resort, that is a huge negative no matter how many bells and whistles it has.

sungandjudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us, resort itself also matters alot.
We have 3 young kids so resort amenities (in case of bad weather, etc.) is up there in terms of requirements.
I look for pictures a lot (from Trip Advisors and other sites), probably more then the review. One picture is worth a thousand words...:D

Peter

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
1. Location.
2. Condition of the units. I don't want to stay in a resort that badly needs renovation or doesn't clean units well.
3. Availability. My schedule is flexible, so I can wait for a resort I want to stay at to become available.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
For us, the resort has to be a resort. Updated swank decor, nicely landscaped, nice amenities (pool, hot tub, gym, restaurants, bar, bell services, concierge, wifi, etc are all real plusses to us), great service. If our stay is about the destination, we are perfectly willing to stay in a hotel instead of a TS to get the amenities we desire.

While we agree that a 1BR is nicer than a studio, we are pretty much fine with any unit size and we don't want to travel during holidays or super peak season. We just want to weather to be great for whatever we want to do.

H

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Location, location, location. If I have trouble getting a TS where I want to go, I can use my hotel points or cash.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
We start with the gold seal resorts in II. Then, we look at the TUG and Trip Adviser reviews. When we get there, we check out the other resorts (silver & non rated) to see if we want to add them to the list.

Location is another factor. For example, when we put in our request for Hawaii, we found out (through TUG) that some resorts were not beach front, so they came off the list.

We keep a list of all the resorts we'd like to go to so when we put in for a trade, it's easy. I also keep a file with notes of each place we've been to (where to get the car, restaurants, things about the resort, grocery stores, shopping, etc.) so we don't have to re invent the wheel the next time we go.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We pick an area we want to visit. Then, we look to see if there are any decent time share resorts there or nearby. We like 1 or 2 bedroom units that are clean and have lots of amenities. We also check to see that the resort has a nice pool (preferably outdoors), a gym, internet service, etc. Hopefully it is a gold Crown (or maybe a Silver Crown). We check reviews on TUG, RCI and Trip Advisor and we look for pictures. And in our case we then try to see if anyone on TUG or Redweek has a unit available to rent and we ask them a lot of questions also!

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually internet is a determining factor in choosing my hotels and I think it will start to become one for TS too.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
We prioritize what we want from the vacation week.

We start with the kind of vacation (beach, urban, historic sightseeing, theme parks or getaway to quiet/nature) and our budget for transportation for that trip. This helps us narrow to one or more specific areas or destinations where we'll look for timeshares.

Then, to choose the actual resorts, we start by looking within about 30 minutes travel distance from the main attraction(s) for the week. We prefer to stay as nearby as possible since we don't like to spend a lot of time in traffic once we've arrived on vacation. Short drives to sightseeing are fine with us.

However, we ALWAYS want to be within walking distance of:
--- public transit access for urban destinations
--- the beach on beach trips (we usually take both morning and evening walks on the beach on these trips - car is too much hassle)
--- the nearest resort pool during warm weather (shuttle waits or driving are not good in the heat - sprawling resorts can be a problem here)

Next, to narrow it down further, I start reading TUG reviews for awarded resorts and those with a TUG rating above 6.5 or so. I'm not that picky - I've noticed that people will rarely review a resort lower than a 7 if it's clean, well-maintained and in a decent location. If I want upscale for that trip, I look first at resorts rated at 8.5 or better. What I'm looking for in the reviews will depend on who's traveling with us and what our needs are for that trip. If I still have trouble narrowing down my list, I'll read some RCI reviews as well and I'll look for red flags, like poor maintenance issues with non-responsiveness of the staff.

For just DH and me, we love a spacious 1BR but a nice studio could work if that's all we could get. A standard hotel room doesn't cut it for a full week - not relaxing enough to eat out all the time and we don't get All-Inclusive timeshares. So, as I read reviews, our minimum requirements for the unit:
--- Very clean, well-maintained, updated unit;
--- Free in-room internet - husband has a network support business & I'm in grad school - must stay connected, unfortunately;
--- Queen bed or larger;
--- Comfortable chairs or sofa to relax;
--- At least a dinette table;
--- At least a partial kitchen for breakfasts and leftovers.
--- No sound-proofing problems - a quiet room for sleeping
--- If we'll be relaxing on that trip (not urban sightseeing), need a balcony, patio, or huge wall of sunny windows with a peaceful view.

When we're traveling with others, we need a unit(s) large enough to keep the LR free of sleepers, or we get multiple units, --and-- we like to have a full kitchen and dining table in at least one unit to gather for a few meals. If the others don't get to vacation often, we may like to treat them to a stay in a more amenity-loaded resort, so we try for the more upscale resorts on these trips.

With young adults (our grown kids) along, the free internet is just as important, maybe more. Indoor pool and hot tub are appreciated and summertime outdoor pool/hot tub/beach are essential. A way to meet others (tournaments at pool table, volleyball, Texas Hold 'Em) is nice too, if available. Adequate space for everyone is important, since they sometimes like to invite more friends along at the last minute. No one sleeps in the LR with everyone's varying sleep schedules - there's often someone up until very late, after late night beach walks or playing card/board games to the wee hours - and surprisingly, some of the college kids like to get up early for a sunrise walk with coffee.

With young children along (as we had, years ago, or perhaps from another family traveling with us), an indoor pool, game room, zero-entry outdoor pool and children's activities add a LOT of value - depending on the number and ages of the kids, these may outrank most other deciding factors altogether - even making the resort destination the key factor. Young children who are cheery with fun activities, and who sleep well after busy vacation days are a requirement for the rest of us!!! :clap: Especially the weary parents. :)

TUG reviews are a big help. TripAdvisor less so, because so many of those reviews knock resorts for not making their beds or washing their dishes. :hysterical: Not quite the information I'm looking for - I just read there to learn more about the safety of the neighborhood and the cleanliness of the resort. HTH!

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We pick the location first, then I try to find out as much as possible about the areas within the city or region. Just google the city name and you will find lots of information on the "official" city sites. I also check the reviews and the websites for each timeshare or hotel. I love having a place that is spacious and has a balcony with a view. After sightseeing or going on local tours, it's always nice to relax with a glass of wine on the balcony.
The resort pick will also change if we travel with the grandchildren. In that case, we make sure that the resort has plenty of amenities and a nice pool.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm pretty easy to please, providing certain in-room things are there: Clean unit, good bed, hot shower, coffeemaker/microwave. Other in-room perks are just that -- perks.

Outside the room, it's ALL about the location. I'm not one to hang around the resort, even in bad weather. So where I'm going is MUCH more important than what the resort is all about. Sure, extra-nice is great, but sometimes moderately-upscale is more convenient. Poor quality or badly-run is a non-starter for me, whether it be a timeshare or a hotel.

Online reviews are subjective, as I said in another thread from this OP. So I read everything I can find, and maybe ask someone via email if I know they've been there. If it's a timeshare, I'll ask directly about it here on TUG. This group has the knowledge and expertise to give honest, no-holds-barred reviews of a place when asked direct questions. Our timeshare histories may be different, but we tend to stay in the same locations. And timeshare people tend to know what other timeshare people are interested in knowing.

Another source may be Ebay, TUG Marketplace, and Craigslist. Check to see how many of that timeshare are available for sale right now. If there are lots of them, maybe there's a reason. (Point at Poipu, for example. Beautiful location, resort has issues, huge special assessment, management company being sued by owners.) Buyer beware, and all that.

YMMV.

Dave

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not purchase my timeshares to occupy. So for me, priorities are: first, trading power, second is value for that trading power, and third is quality. All the other great considerations cited above I only worry about when researching where to exchange.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not purchase my timeshares to occupy. So for me, priorities are: first, trading power, second is value for that trading power, and third is quality. All the other great considerations cited above I only worry about when researching where to exchange.

Agreed. The only thing I would add is size of the unit. The smallest I will take if the family (4 of us) is travelling is a 2BR unit, and a 1BR is it is just the two of us. My son has autism, and he needs his "decompression time" after a busy day. If I can't get the unit size I want, then I keep looking. That being said, I generally travel to "overbuilt" areas anyways, so I can be picky...:D

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us, the resort has to be a resort. Updated swank decor, nicely landscaped, nice amenities (pool, hot tub, gym, restaurants, bar, bell services, concierge, wifi, etc are all real plusses to us), great service. If our stay is about the destination, we are perfectly willing to stay in a hotel instead of a TS to get the amenities we desire.

H
We agree....

The resort is paramount. It must be impeccably clean and fresh and not feel worn at a minimum, but we seek out upscale places. I am admittedly quite particular so staying in a places sorely in need of updating is not what I am looking for on vacation. We have 3 small kids so amenities and onsite activities for them is critical and that all needs to happen in an organized manner and in an environment that is safe and clean with a highly accommodating staff.

We, too are happy to pay for a nice hotel to get all of these things if there is
no suitable timeshare in the area.

Do we make exceptions, sure, but not often and it's usually for an overnight or weekend trip.

I can pass on all the amenities, but the one thing I cannot overlook is it must be clean and fresh or I will find relaxing in that space very difficult. We prefer timeshares, when they meet our needs because having separate sleeping quarters for grown-ups and kids is important to us. Otherwise, since we also travel with grandparents, we need 3+ hotel rooms. Even with timeshares we usually use 2 units at a time for at least 3 to 4 bedrooms.

VIEW, if it's a beach destination, is also critical. I always what ocean view.front and if I can't guarantee it through an exchange or timeshare then I wo rather, again, book a hotel.

Basically, we only stay in very nicest timeshares, otherwise, we choose a hotel.

Sounds snooty, i guess ( I am contemplating deleting as I type) but its a truthful answer to the question.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We agree....

The resort is paramount. It must be impeccably clean and fresh and not feel worn at a minimum, but we seek out upscale places. I am admittedly quite particular so staying in a places sorely in need of updating is not what I am looking for on vacation. We have 3 small kids so amenities and onsite activities for them is critical and that all needs to happen in an organized manner and in an environment that is safe and clean with a highly accommodating staff.

We, too are happy to pay for a nice hotel to get all of these things if there is
no suitable timeshare in the area.

Do we make exceptions, sure, but not often and it's usually for an overnight or weekend trip.

I can pass on all the amenities, but the one thing I cannot overlook is it must be clean and fresh or I will find relaxing in that space very difficult. We prefer timeshares, when they meet our needs because having separate sleeping quarters for grown-ups and kids is important to us. Otherwise, since we also travel with grandparents, we need 3+ hotel rooms. Even with timeshares we usually use 2 units at a time for at least 3 to 4 bedrooms.

VIEW, if it's a beach destination, is also critical. I always what ocean view.front and if I can't guarantee it through an exchange or timeshare then I wo rather, again, book a hotel.

Basically, we only stay in very nicest timeshares, otherwise, we choose a hotel.

Sounds snooty, i guess ( I am contemplating deleting as I type) but its a truthful answer to the question.

I'm with you!