• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I cancel the Wyndham Discover before my monthly payments start? Need help.

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
I was at the Wyndham Star Island Resort on August 1, 2011 and got suckered into signing up for their Wyndham Discover Program. The sales rep was nice, but when I got home I realized he really lied about this program.

We told him that the only time I could take a vacation was in July and he told us that for the 154,000 points I was signing up fpr we could get a 2-week vacation in July in Florida. He also said that I could call and sign up for a larger package giving us even more points. He didn't tell me that I had 10 days to do that.

Since my family wants to vacation in Florida next July and we wanted to try Bonnet Creek since it's close to Disney -- I just read somewhere that it is almost impossible to get a 1-bedroom at Bonnet Creek during July and I wouldn't even have enough points for a week, should I just take my losses of the $200 I paid already and cancel the Wyndham Discover before my monthly payments start?

Any advice will help. Thank you.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

Did you actually buy Wyndham timeshare points, or just a trial pkg.?

You probably signed a binding agreement for this purchase, so if you just cancel the credit card, they can turn you over to collections.

What does your agreement say about canceling?

I do NOT recommend that you sign up for a larger pkg. - you can buy Wyndham points for pennies on the dollar on the resale market.

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
Wyndham Discover Program - good for one year

Thanks for the info. I signed up for the Wyndham Discover Program which is good for a year. I can start booking in April of 2012 and it expires in April of 2013.

I didn't read the cancellation fineprint. I'm just getting upset because I have a feeling now that I was scammed and I won't get to use the 154,000 points for anything in Florida during July of 2012. The final cost will be $1547.00 once I pay it off.

I really feel stupid right now signing up for it -- I feel suckered.

They locked in the price for the timeshare and they will put the money that I pay for the Wyndham Discover towards a full timeshare purchase, but I don't plan on purchasing the full timeshare. The sales rep really made us think we were getting such a great deal trying this Discover Wyndham program.

Has anyone had good results using their points purchased with the Wyndham Discover program?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I wouldn't say you were scammed, but you can buy Wyndham points on the resale market for pennies on the dollar, so this isn't a good deal.

Your first step is to get out your contract and read it. You may still be able to cancel - don't put that off.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be able to book a 1 bedroom in july at Bonnet Creek. You will be short 12 000 points. You are better off to rent a room from another owner. A reputable one can be found on eBay. But there are others.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You say you bought on 8/1, and today is 8/14. I am not familiar with local rescission laws, but suppose you are beyond the time when you can rescind. Usually it's 5-7 business days.

I also suppose you can't just stop paying or cancelling the card without risking getting turned over to collection.

This might simply be a 'hard lesson learned' situation. It could be worse. You could be beyond the rescission period for a $20,000+ timeshare purchase that's now worth $0.00 or less (you'd have to pay someone to take it).

As Denise said. Read your contract. Know what you have. What the salesweasel said was most likely lies to make the sale. Then, at the very day when you can make a reservation, call and attempt to book the Florida vacation you want. Tell the nice person that if the sales staff want another shot at selling you the full package (that's the reason for these teaser packages), they will book you what you feel you want.

I suspect you'll probably get the vacation you want. Then come back here for strategies to kill the salesperson's chances of ruining the next vacation for you.

Good luck, and welcome to TUG!

Jim Ricks

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are you in for, you said $200, but then mention payments starting.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Missed that. But cnsidering the 2 weeks that have lapsed you are probably out that money (obviously you have points to use) On a positive note there are plenty of people like you that get taken for quite a bit more, say 12 to 20k, we hear it all the time. Consider it a learning experience and an opportunity to explore timesharing and see if it is for you, then of course buy resale.

Btw, you should definitely look at your agreement and make sure there isnt a longer cancellation period than the typical week or so rescission period.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
See if you can pay it off quicker to avoid some of the finance charges. Also you may want to look into staying in the other Orlando properties so you could stretch your points out a little more. You might as well check to see how much more it would cost to get you in at BC for a week but don't commit to anything until the booking window is open to check on availability.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Gee, I have such great advice for you, if you are truly Disney crazy. That should be my TUG name. We go to Disneyworld six weeks per year, Disneyland is now our goal for one week per year, after our March trip, which was awesome. So seven weeks of Disney a year, and we are definitely Disney nuts.

I would holler and scream to Wyndham. I would write letters to everyone, including the sales manager at Star Island, and every executive at corporate, and I would accuse the salesman of lying to you.

If they are letting you use an RCI account, you could probably get 2 weeks out of that number of points, but I am not sure about that. We own Wyndham, but I have very little knowledge about the Wyndham system for exchanging. You can get one off-season week at Bonnet Creek, 2 bedroom, for 112K. If you want to stay in a smaller unit, those are less, too. But prime season is 224K for a 2 bedroom.

I will send you a PM.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cant get the full week in July, but you can get 4 nights and have enough points left over for a weekend in the offseason either at Bonnet Creek or some other Wyndham resort

or

You have enough points for a week at one of the other Wynddham Resorts in Orlando in Prime Season

Most of us Wyndham owners here on Tug agree that the Wyndham system is a good one, nice properties, well located and fair maintenance fees. We also agree that the sales people are lying dogs and buying resale is the only way to go

You bought yourself a chance to try the system for $1500 with no long term commitment and enjoy some time in a very nice resort..thats not too bad.

By the way you will probably be invited to an "owners update" at Bonnet Creek when you check in.....and you will probably be offered money to go. Id do it and use the money to offset the $1500...just dont buy anything else from them

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way you will probably be invited to an "owners update" at Bonnet Creek when you check in.....and you will probably be offered money to go. Id do it and use the money to offset the $1500...just dont buy anything else from them

It is bad advice to tell people to try to recoup their money by attending updates. They may get $100 and $5-$10 worth of food but risk spending $20k plus.

Best advice is to not attend and enjoy your week.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too late...

You say you bought on 8/1, and today is 8/14. I am not familiar with local rescission laws..... Usually it's 5-7 business days.

The contract rescission time period in the state of Florida is actually 10 days.
In any case, 13 days have passed already, so it's now a moot point...

rrlongwell

Reaction score
The contract rescission time period in the state of Florida is actually 10 days.
In any case, 13 days have passed already, so it's now a moot point...

If you call the Discovery line, I think there is a dedicated inventory for the Discovery Program, and explain that you thought you were buying enough points for a week in July, they would no doubt make sure it available (I would do this quickly) then confirm whether or not there is a problem coming off of the Discovery Inventory. If you are short a few, I do not know what they would say, but I will bet they have a solution. In any case just enjoy the vacation, you paid or will pay for it.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... you can buy Wyndham points on the resale market for pennies on the dollar ...

Just a word to the wise, if you go this way via E-Bay, I did look into one of the "No Reserve" actions. The actual buying price was 9xx dollars which the seller reducted the 4xx dollars and a referal to conduct negotions through their own privet site.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It is bad advice to tell people to try to recoup their money by attending updates. They may get $100 and $5-$10 worth of food but risk spending $20k plus.

Best advice is to not attend and enjoy your week.

Agree with this. I wouldn't go on a timeshare presentation, unless it was with some major kicking and screaming. Not that I would be invited to any Wyndham presentation. I am VIP Platinum and am probably on their "do not ask them," list.

We have friends (firefighter Rick works with) who bought four timeshares at presentations. They attended only those four. They couldn't resist even ONE presentation.

They divorced, money issues (duh!), and he went to a Mexico presentation with his girlfriend then (now wife), and they bought a Mexican timeshare together. They rescinded after talking to Rick, and thankfully they did get out of it, with lots of hand holding.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Ron is right if the poster is considering a re-sale or retail purchase and is not familiar with Wyndham System. There are potiential problems going either route.

Better to get education elsewhere. There is a Wyndham BBS, called Wyndhamowners.org, I believe.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Better to get education elsewhere. There is a Wyndham BBS, called Wyndhamowners.org, I believe.

Any and preferably all of above plus other sources. I do not think you can go into Timeshare purchases with out going well beyound "Due Dilagence" on the research end. The first step is not the Wyndham Discovery program, in my opionion. I would start by visiting the resort or resorts that have interest before buying anything. You do not necessarly have to stay at the resort in question to take a tour of it (preferably without a sales rep in tow). With the current availablity of cheap rentals, this could cost you some money, but it would be money well spent. I had the oppunity to look at some before taking over timeshares and, in-turn, I have provided the same opportunity to three other people. No cost to them or basically, covering part of the fees. Two decided not to buy at all. One bought two re-sales and now looking at a retail purchase because the Wyndham fees are getting to her.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I advised OP via PM to buy SDO lockoff and get two weeks of vacation in Orlando summer at the Marriotts. But hey, I am just allergic to timeshare presentations and like the easy way out. :rofl: The pressure of any timeshare presentation is just too much for me. I know my blood pressure is raising by the second at those things.

Hey, maybe if you have a stroke or heart attack, they will let you go home with the $75 without making you sit for 3 hours?

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I signed up for the Wyndham Discover Program which is good for a year. I can start booking in April of 2012 and it expires in April of 2013.

Has anyone had good results using their points purchased with the Wyndham Discover program?

Actually we did have the Discover program a few years back and had a good experience with it. We spent time at Cypress Palms and Daytona Beach, which we really enjoyed. We ended up buying after the Discover package, but we did rescind it in the end.

I don't think you have to wait until April 2012 to make reservations with your points. It's true you wouldn't likely get anything in Orlando in July if you wait until April. Your points are good from April 2012 to April 2013, but you can make reservations for July starting in September, I think. You can call the reservation line at 1-800-251-8736 and tell them you have the Discover program and what it is you want to do.

You can stretch your 154k points in a variety of ways. One way is to spend Friday-Sunday at a cheaper resort (for example Cypress Palms). Weekend stays cost more points. That would be 36k for a 1 bedroom. Then you could move to Bonnet Creek (a more "expensive" resort) for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom Presidential or 2 bedroom deluxe for 108k and have some spare change left over.

As far as I know, DP points cannot be deposited into RCI.

While the DP is more expensive per point than renting from an owner, it can be a good way to learn more about the Wyndham program and resorts before making a commitment. Preferably resale!

So, call reservations next month and see what you can get for July. Good luck.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelling Discover

I could be wrong about this, but I'm not sure there is a cancellation option with Discover because of the type of contract involved. You are essentially renting a set number of points for a year, not purchasing a timeshare.

So, read your contract carefully to see if there is a cancellation clause. If not, make the best use you can of the points and enjoy the Wyndham resorts. If it turns out that you can cancel, do so and then try renting from a Wyndham VIP owner. You would be able to rent a July week at Bonnet Creek for considerably less than $1500.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I advised OP via PM to buy SDO lockoff and get two weeks of vacation in Orlando summer at the Marriotts. But hey, I am just allergic to timeshare presentations and like the easy way out. :rofl: The pressure of any timeshare presentation is just too much for me. I know my blood pressure is raising by the second at those things.

The following is currently available for Orlando Flordia for a week in July 2012.

Bonnet Creek 116,000 for a 1 bedroom deluxe
Star Island 128,000 1 bedroom deluxe
Cypres Palms 128,000 bedroom deluxe
Cypres Palms 1 bedroom 112,000 standard

If you use Cypres Palms, starting on a Friday night or Sunday night, you might come real close to your 154,000 points coming out to be 2 weeks. Use the weekly rate and add days until you reach 154,000. Sundays through Thursday nights tend to be cheaper. Best of luck.

Last edited:

disneycrazy01

Reaction score
Read the contract and it's too late to cancel

I read the contract for the Wyndham Discover and it is too late to cancel it. I will take this as a learning experience and use my points as best I can.

I am definitely going to write to Wyndham because the sales reps shouldn't lie the way this one did. I guess he saw a sucker and took advantage of it. I was there with my niece who loved the place so it was easy to lie the way he did. I only went on a timeshare presentaton a few years ago (not Wyndham), but they never offered anything like the Wyndham Discover.

I definitely want to try Bonnet Creek since it is closer to Disney, etc. and they offer transportation to the parks. Star Island was very nice, but since I don't drive, transportation to the parks at $12.00 per person (roundtrip) runs into quite a bit if you go to a few parks.

Is it very difficult to get a week at Bonnet Creek in July -- even if I had enough points?

Thanks for all the info.