• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trapp Family Lodge Questions

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be vacationing there soon, and a few questions have come up.

1. Is there internet access (wireless or not) in the units? Public Areas?

2. Does the second bedroom have twin beds? If so, can one ask that those beds be made up as a king bed? Or, would I have to bring king-size bedding?

Thanks for the information.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have a question on Trapp Family Lodge..we're thinking about trying to trade in next year.. Would spring or fall be a better time? Also is there enough to do in the area to keep us happy (ie, not bored !) for a weeks stay?
What kinds of things do those of you have been there do when you go?
Thanks!
Deb

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
weather in vermont

I can only speak to the question of when to visit vermont: whether to visit vermont in the spring or fall

Unless you are looking to do some spring skiing in late March or early April, I would recommend the fall - preferably september or October.

Spring is really a "mud season". The snow is melting or melted and everything is brown and muddy. The fall has nice crisp days, and the potential for beautiful foliage (in late september and early October).

That said, Late May and early June would also be okay, as you would have the blooming flowers etc.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there many years ago, so no info on internet access.

I also don't remember about the beds.

Re what to do - lots of nice scenery, nice indoor and outdoor pools, walking/hiking, movies, horse/wagon rides, crafts and antiques and shopping and museums in the general area - all low key and pleasant.

I remember a glass blower, some factory tours (Ben & Jerry's, unless that was another trip), and the courthouse or state capital in some of the cities nearby (Burlington?).

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - there is wireless internet access throughout the property. (I called the Lodge directly.)

I have been told that they can make up the twin beds as a king, but the person who told me this used the expression, "I believe that is what they do." So I am not 100% sure on making twins into king bed will be more than just pushing the two beds together.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks from me too! It sounds wonderful. I think we will try for a fall 2009trade...wish me luck!
Deb

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
The glass blowing place is called Simon Pearce and it is in a nice builiding on a river with falls in Quechee Vermont (probably 45 minutes SouthEast of Stowe off of Rt 89). Very good restaurant at Simon Pearce as well. Highly recommended. Simon Pearce is known for very high quality glass and pottery products.

Burlington is probably 45 minutes Northwest of Stowe. It's Beautiful small city on lake Champlain and home of University of Vermont. Also very worth a trip. There are lake boat tours out of Burlington.

Stowe itself is very nice and very scenic and charming.

There should be plenty of info on various Stowe and Vermont tourism web-sites.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Simon Pearce was great. I was also thinking of a craftsman who had his one-person shop about 5-10 minutes south of the resort. I can picture it, but can't remember anything else.
The whole area has lots of interesting craftspeople, so there's a great opportunity to get some local souvenirs.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went quite a few years back - last week in June. I can't remember the beds in the second bedroom but we were in the upstairs part of one of the chalets. It had a wrap-around porch/balcony and the view was gorgeous!

We did the Ben & Jerry's tour one day. Kids loved it (about 14 & 15 at the time). We also did an onsite hike one day, and then another day, we did a gondola ride and an off-site hike up one of the mountains. Yet another day, we rented bikes in town and took a great bike ride, riding a trail that followed a stream and crossed a couple of small bridges. On our last day, we drove about 25 minutes away and rented canoes on a small river. I don't remember the place but you parked and they drove you (and the canoes) upstream, then you paddled downstream back to where the drop-off and parking lot were.

There is also a pool, tennis courts, movies, and other activities onsite.

What I can say is - almost ten years later and many, MANY other timeshare vacations all over the country - my girls STILL talk about our visit to the Trapp Family Lodge as one of their best trips ever.

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite place in that area was Shelbourne Farms. We spent the day and brought a picnic lunch. It was beautiful. My kids still talk about it. I also like going to where they process the maple syrup - it was interesting.

In hindsight, we would of not ventured into Canada for a day trip. I like Canada, but its more of a destination spot rather than a day trip. For us it was a poor use of a day.

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stowe web-site

Just saw an ad in Boston Magazine for Stowe area tourism ... it had this web-site which looks good:

www.gostowe.com

LynneA

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a request in with II for an exchange in July or August of 2009. I hope we can get it as I've always wanted to visit.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The setting is beautiful on a huge amount of land. Most of the TS have mountain views and vistas ... some have several stairs to climb from where you park your cars. It is also a hotel with conferences and tour groups staying there, so it will be busy. Restaurant is quite good and reasonable in price for good Austrian food. There's a tea room as well.

Our fav restaurant in the area is called Michael's on the Hill, about 20 minute drive from where you are through Stowe and towards Burlington - quite gourmet. We had a price fixed multi-course meal with lobster that was one of the best meals I've ever had:

http://www.michaelsonthehill.com/

For a real treat, if you're a chocaholic go here:

http://www.laughingmoonchocolates.com/index.cfm/Handmade-Truffles

Restaurants in Stowe are pricey, but quite good. There are no fast food chains like McD's, Wendy's, etc. and the nearest Wal-Mart is a half hour or more away. This is an area that supports local merchants - quite refreshing actually.

Lots of good pizza places - PieCasso is the best known (thin crust well done) but we heard Pie In The Sky was better, but didn't get there.

I think summer would be quite nice there as the opposite of ski season which would be the prime season.

Brian

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tfl 6/21 !!

Thanks everyone for the great info on Stowe and TFL. :)

We'll be at TFL on an II trade, from 6/21 - 6/28. There will be 5 of us: 2 adults and 3 teens. I called a while back to confirm the free wi-fi and the beds (yes, twins in second bedroom). I didn't need them set up as king, so I can't help you there.

I also learned several other things. There is no a/c in the guest houses. There are no additional fees for most activities, except $3.00 for cookies and tea in the lodge, which is free for lodge guests only. Also, the week we're there they have wine-tasting (not wone-tasting!!) and cooking sessions which understandably have a fee. I was curious about the climbing wall, and was pleased there's no fee for that. Also there's only one pay laundry building, open 24 hours.

Our confirmation for late June 2008, came last July 18, 2007. I always deposit first, and place a request. I requested a 5 week window from late June to Early August. I don't think it took a month for this week to be confirmed.

I also found the goStowe site to be very helpful. We're taking all cell phones away from the teens, and plan on this being a more active vacation, biking, hiking, swimming, canoeing etc. Of course along with activtiy, comes hunger. :D So, thanks for the restaurant recommendations. :clap:

We are really looking forward to this trip!

Last edited:

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda, see my post #9 in this thread. We went the same time of year - last week in June - but about 8 years ago (before cell phones were common). We went with 2 teens and did all active stuff - canoing, biking, hiking, etc. Our girls STILL talk about that vacation as one of their best ever! We also stayed in a chalet, but very close to the lodge. The lack of AC was never a problem as evenings were cool and we were rarely in the room during the day. Ask for an upper floor, it's worth the trek up the steps to have the higher balcony view.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, the week we're there they have wone-tasting and cooking sessions which understandably have a fee.

Ahhh yes, the cooking sessions.

WELL WORTH THE PRICE. I went to a dessert one :p and came back to the unit with two WHOLE cakes - some kind of apple torte and a maple syrup cheesecake. Rather than just watching the chef cook and then getting some little samples, we each made the entire recipes, and each got the products of our labors. :banana:

The recipes will be different each time; they asked if we had ever done a cooking class and when, and then double-checked what was cooked at that time so there wouldn't be repetition. That was around 10 years ago so maybe it's different now, but I'd definitely do this again!

Last edited:

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda, see my post #9 in this thread. We went the same time of year - last week in June - but about 8 years ago (before cell phones were common). We went with 2 teens and did all active stuff - canoing, biking, hiking, etc. Our girls STILL talk about that vacation as one of their best ever! We also stayed in a chalet, but very close to the lodge. The lack of AC was never a problem as evenings were cool and we were rarely in the room during the day. Ask for an upper floor, it's worth the trek up the steps to have the higher balcony view.

luv2,
Yes, I did read your previous post and it really encouraged me. :) Our kids are unfortunately spoiled as we've taken them to many exotic places on vacation before (i.e. last year to Antigua.) So they are not necessarily looking forward to TFL. But I think they are in for a surprise.

We're planning all the same activities as you, including the B&J ice cream tour. I think we may go see a live theater production also. A local small theater is presenting Annie while we're there, so that may be a good choice for an evening activity.

My confirmation certificate didn't include a unit #, so I asked them when I called. I was told we were assigned 12A, which is upstairs. But then she told me there is no guarantee if that being the unit we get. She said something about owners getting first pick of units. Hmmm... I didn't say anything. But if an owner were going that same week, wouldn't their unit already be selected? Que sera, sera!

Thanks again for the encouragment. I know we'll have a great time. :whoopie:

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, the cooking sessions.

WELL WORTH THE PRICE. I went to a dessert one :p and came back to the unit with two WHOLE cakes - some kind of apple torte and a maple syrup cheesecake. Rather than just watching the chef cook and then getting some little samples, we each made the entire recipes, and each got the products of our labors. :banana:

The recipes will be different each time; they asked if we had ever done a cooking class and when, and then double-checked what was cooked at that time so there wouldn't be repetition. That was around 10 years ago so maybe it's different now, but I'd definitely do this again!

Wone-tasting?!?!? :rofl: I'm a bad speller!

I so hope there's bakery classes so I can bring sone yummy sweet treat back for everyone to enjoy! Thanks for telling me. I'll surely look for that! :banana:

JUDIE25

TUG Member
Reaction score
First: Yes, it is twin beds in the second bedroom, and yes, they can be pushed together. However, since the Guest houses don't have any king size beds, they don't have any king size sheets. You would have to bring your own. (or do like my son and DIL and remake the beds with the sheets sidewards.)

Second: there is WI-FI in the units although we were having trouble connecting to the network last spring.

Third: There are computers in the basement of the lodge for all guests to use.

Fourth: for LG in PA, in the summer there is also a slide down the mountain and don't forget to drive up the Toll Road (amazing!!). Another thing that is fun for teens and young adults is swimming in an old-fashioned swimmin' hole. I understand from my two sons and DIL that the water is pretty cold but it is definitely a different experience from the sanitized pools. If you send me an email off-line I can get directions from my son who lives in Waterbury.

Definitely do Church Street in Burlington. Lots of cool shops and restaurants (catering to the college crowd) and street performers in the summer.

I thought maybe you had my week since I deposited about that time, but my unit is 21D.

Judie

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

<snip>
Fourth: for LG in PA, in the summer there is also a slide down the mountain and don't forget to drive up the Toll Road (amazing!!). Another thing that is fun for teens and young adults is swimming in an old-fashioned swimmin' hole. I understand from my two sons and DIL that the water is pretty cold but it is definitely a different experience from the sanitized pools. If you send me an email off-line I can get directions from my son who lives in Waterbury.

Definitely do Church Street in Burlington. Lots of cool shops and restaurants (catering to the college crowd) and street performers in the summer.

I thought maybe you had my week since I deposited about that time, but my unit is 21D.

Judie

Judie,
Thanks for the info about the swimming hole and Burlington. I'll PM you with my email so we can get directions. :D

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see you recommend the toll road. Is it narrow and windy? By the time you come down are your brakes very hot? We took the road up to Mt. Washington one year, and by the time we got back down the mountain, our brakes smelled like they were burning. I do not want to put wear and tear like that on my current car. Thanks for the information.

JUDIE25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the toll road is very hilly and winding. I can appreciate your concern with an older car.

For anyone else who might be interested in Swimming Holes, I am attaching a link:

www.swimmingholes.org/vt.html

The Swimming hole my son goes to is Foster's.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few questions about what to pack: Does TFL provide dishwasher detergent and plain dish detergent, paper towels, kleenex, soap and shampoo? Is there a mid-week tidy service?

Also, is there any singing that the Lodge puts on? My husband has this notion that everyone is singing Sound of Music songs there. :D

deh333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do provide all those things. However, I believe that we ended up buying shampoo for some reason - maybe not enough or maybe we preferred our own.

There is no midweek tidy service. However, you can pay a fee to have your unit cleaned.

Ah, singing during the week! There are various weekly activities that will remind you of where you are. Every evening, in the main lodge, there is entertainment provided in the lounge. Most evenings, John Cassel sings. There is also a lovely harpist. They screen The Sound of Music every Thursday evening. Once in a while there will be a sing-along.

If you and your family like to take walks and hikes, check the phone book in the timeshares (really), there are some great places to go!!! Also, the recreation path is wonderful, During last summers trip, when my gang got heated, we'd hop off our bikes and jump into the stream/water-holes:rofl:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
They screen The Sound of Music every Thursday evening.

I recall seeing a film about the making of The Sound of Music movie - I don't recall if it was shown right before the movie, or at a different time. It was very interesting, with little known information about how Maria was excluded from a lot of the making of the movie. Definitely worth seeing.