• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the Better Resorts in Puerto Vallarta?

Zephyr88

Reaction score
We are depositing our 2-bedroom oceanfront floating week at The Point at Poipu into Interval and placing an exchange request for a two-bedroom week anytime between Feb 27 - May 1, 2014 in Puerto Vallarta. We've already picked out three resorts that we will request: Villa del Palmar (VPD), Vallarta Torre (VAT), and Ocho Cascades (OCC). We're not familiar with the timeshares in PV. And wondered if others who are, might offer suggestions of other premier timeshares in the area that we might have overlooked. Thanks!

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ocho Cascades is quite a way out of town, south, and there isn't much around there.

For us, staying in Puerto Vallarta is far, far better than being in Neuvo Vallarta. We like the cobblestones, the restaurants, the shopping, and the authentic atmosphere of Puerto Vallarta. When we stayed in Neuvo Vallarta, it was sort of "Las Vegas like," and we went into Vallarta every day but one, and that day, we drove north up the coast. Others, I know, love Neuvo Vallarta--and the resorts there are, in general, much grander.

I think you need to decide which area appeals to you most and choose your resorts on that basis.

Zephyr88

Reaction score
We want to be in Puerto Vallarta or close to it, hence our selection of the Villa del Palmar and Vallarta Torre. We know that Ocho Cascades is a bit south of town, but we've heard great things about it.

Since we don't have any direct experience with the PV resorts, have we overlooked any PV resorts listed in II that are on par with the Villa del Palmar and Vallarta Torre?

Last edited:

AlbertaTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
PV Fan

We're PV fans. We've stayed in Nuevo but we like the "town" and people in PV. I am a Villa del Palmar PV fan myself. It's close to a large grocery store (Soriana's) where you can get anything including the best rotisere chicken take-out. It's also close to a bus stop and cabs are a 7.00 ride to the Malecon.
The Vallarta Torre is just a little north of VDP and closer to the marina.
Another you might try is Sunset Plaza. It's newer and slightly closer to downtown. It's a fairly small resort.
I'm with the other post about Cascades. It's fairly south of PV and the road is quite busy if you want to walk to town and I definately wouldn't walk that road at night.
Hope this helps a little

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been going to Puerto Vallarta since 1984, we just got back yesterday. I would also add Lindomar Resort to your list. It is a little further out than Ocho Cascadas but both Lindomar and Ocho Cascadas are actually not much further to the Romantic Zone than your other choices. Lindomar has excellent views from their units since it is oceanfront. I think all of Vallarta Torre units may have good views as this resort is also oceanfront. Views can really vary widely at Villa del Palmar as very few units are oceanfront and they will be assigned to owners. Ocho Cascadas has incredible views from up in the hills; I don't remember if they added an elevator with the recent remodeling so, be aware that if they did not, you could have up to 130 or more steps to your unit. Villa del Palmar is the only resort you are requesting that is not small, there is a lot of activity going on most of the time so it is not as quiet and relaxing as the other resorts you are requesting. Ocho Cascadas is probably the most upscale of your requests. If you want Marriott quality units you would have to go to Nuevo Vallarta which I feel is not convenient if you want to spend a lot of time in town. Nuevo Vallarta is so not Puerto Vallarta IMHO.

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villas Loma Linda? Certainly not as posh as Ocho Cascadas but pretty much the best location if you want to be near old town. Lots of steps down to the strolling/shopping/restaurant area, and a quick $5 cab ride back up.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I Ocho Cascadas still timeshare? I thought the RTU's expired a year or two ago, and the developer was doing straight rentals now. Or did they extend the program?

We like PV also; we're part of the group that prefers to be close to town, not in Nuevo. I keep looking for a chance to land something Conchas Chinas that matches our tight travel requirements. Lindo Mar would be great.

We use the buses to get around, so there's more places we haven't been on the south side than central and north.

Zephyr88

Reaction score
Thank you All for the helpful information! It has been a while since we were in PV, and we were only there for a day.

In 2001 we took a ten day Holland America Mexican Riviera cruise at Christmas and were in port for a full day at Puerto Vallarta. While there, we took a fun excursion trip to Las Caletas during the day, and then went shopping at night. We bought a museum quality mask and painted gourd at the fine Mexican Indian art store, Galeria Indigena.

We're looking forward to going back, and hope our exchange works out well.

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that Ocho Cascadas re-opens in July 2014. I also recommend Lindo Mar and agree with an earlier poster who prefers Puerto Vallarta over NV.

taffy19

Reaction score
I Ocho Cascadas still timeshare? I thought the RTU's expired a year or two ago, and the developer was doing straight rentals now. Or did they extend the program?

We like PV also; we're part of the group that prefers to be close to town, not in Nuevo. I keep looking for a chance to land something Conchas Chinas that matches our tight travel requirements. Lindo Mar would be great.

We use the buses to get around, so there's more places we haven't been on the south side than central and north.
Lindo Mar as well as Ocho Cascadas are really very close to town and both have panoramic ocean views. :D Here is the information about the new Ocho Cascadas. It was a great and unique experience for us once and it will even be better with the new lift and A/C in the bedrooms.

http://ochocascadas.com/

PS. They have a Facebook page too.

Last edited:

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Better Resorts - is very subjective. and except for the new resorts in Nuevo you will be hard pressed to find units that compare with your Hawaii units.

We have stayed at Ocho Cascades three times- and enjoyed each time, having your own splash pool is great- views are tremendous- but luxury it is not- my understanding they are in the process of remodeling it and adding air conditioning to the bedrooms- and remodeling the bathrooms- We always slept under the netting- with good reason- bugs will get you if you don't - If you do get the trade- be sure and have the chef in - dinners are best- mostly we would have the fish dishes- then the last time we had the Mexican and it was the best.
Lindo Mar - is just down the road- we were there a number of years ago- the pool was nice- in the shade - not heated- used very little- nice beach- luxury- again it is not. Had a nice pool bar- and the unit was very clean.
We have stayed at the Villa del Palmar- PV- and it was very convenient, pools are busy and fun- nice beach- on bus line- have not been since remodel- again- luxury it is not- but clean- and we enjoyed our stay there- just don't let them put you in the back at Villa del Mar- those are small units- on the busy road- and really old- there is at least one two bedroom unit back there-

We like the Marina area- Club Regina- is more upscale- most units have been remodeled- spacious- units- we own there and try and go a couple of times a year- easy walk to Marina where there are lots of great dining options. Mayan Palace- is next door - have stayed there- units were not as nice- and you really have to watch the timeshare folks there- not enough money in this world for us to go to another presentation. Some of the resorts in the area are all inclusive- and would not do that in Puerto Vallarta since there are so many wonderful dining opportunities-

hope this helps

Zephyr88

Reaction score
At no cost, we were able to extend our check-in date three weeks from February 27,2014 to May 22, 2014 with Interval; and add one more resort to our exchange request for a two bedroom:

• Ocho Cascades (doing renovations, but have a few villas available)
  • Vallarta Torre
  • Villa del Palmar
  • Lindo Mar

Hopefully by February, we'll have a confirmation (fingers crossed)...

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Puerto Vallarta and will be going for 24 days in less than a month.

In Puerto Vallarta I would trade luxurious accomodations just for Location, Location, Location. We are exchanging into the Mayan Palace Marina but are more excited about the time we will be at the little boutique hotels in town.

I think the Sheraton Bouganvillias is a good mixture of both. Most condos there are updated, they have lovely grounds and it is about a mile if you want to walk into town or take an easy, inexpensive bus. I only wish they didn't have the 1 in 4 rule!

Zephyr88

Reaction score
I love Puerto Vallarta and will be going for 24 days in less than a month.

Lucky you to be able to spend the better part of January in Puerto Vallarta... Enjoy! :whoopie:

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at both the Mayan Palace and Club Regina there at the Marina.
Both were fine--not luxurious, but very nice. PV is also my favorite location. It's so easy to hop a bus across from either of the aforementioned resorts and get downtown or around the area. Great dining in the area.

Zephyr88

Reaction score
Thanks for all the resort suggestions.

However, our exchange is through Interval International. So we're limited to only the resorts affiliated with II...

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that Ocho Cascadas re-opens in July 2014. I also recommend Lindo Mar and agree with an earlier poster who prefers Puerto Vallarta over NV.

We loved the Lindo Mar when we first saw it about 12 years ago. It is a small resort with about 47 units done in the older Mexican style. All units are ocean front and the restaurant is on the water. It has a pool and work room.

The employees are very nice and they know our names unlike the larger resorts which are more impersonal and very few units are ocean front like our Lindo Mar. We have daylily maid service.

We stayed at some of the larger resorts and the units although nice are like a Howard Johnsons in the states, We much prefer the Lindo Mar units which shown some age.

Bruce :D