• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How easy is it to rent out weeks?

a8b114

Reaction score
How easy is it for timeshare owners to rent oout weeks on various sites like Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc?

I am curious why there are not more timeshare week listings on these sites as compared to timeshare dedicated rental sites.

Are there strict restrictions regarding renting out your vacation weeks? Also, does it differ depending on which timeshare company you bought through?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Those sites are not geared for timeshares - they are designed for full ownership vacation properties.

There are other websites that are exclusively for timeshare rentals, like the TUG Marketplace (free for members) and www.redweek.com.

The fees and terms on the websites that you mentioned are not really compatible with single week timeshare rentals, either. For instance, on most of them, the renter can cancel at the last minute - leaving the timeshare owner holding the bag with a reservation that can't be cancelled at the last minute.

Some timeshares are impossible to rent - others are very rentable. The real question is how many are easy to rent for a profit, and that is a very small number - maybe 10%.

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The fees on these sites are too expensive for renting out a week. The fees are geared to the rental of a home, year-round.

a8b114

Reaction score
The fees on these sites are too expensive for renting out a week. The fees are geared to the rental of a home, year-round.

Are you referring to listing fees or transaction fees? I agree that listing fees don't make sense when you are only renting out 1 week / per year. But some sites just charge 3-5% fee for the host (in addition to service fee for the renter). I don't see this being a huge obstacle.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you referring to listing fees or transaction fees? I agree that listing fees don't make sense when you are only renting out 1 week / per year. But some sites just charge 3-5% fee for the host (in addition to service fee for the renter). I don't see this being a huge obstacle.

That's much higher than the timeshare rental sites which only charge a flat Ad fee.

The rental terms are even worse than the fees. Most timeshare reservations cannot be cancelled by the owner at the last minute, and the terms on the websites allow the renter to cancel past the deadline when the owner can cancel. In other words, the renter could cancel and leave you with a complete loss.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

The ones that offer the 3-5% usually won't let you communicate directly (through relay only) and you won't get paid until either check in or check out and they either force you or highly encourage you to have a cancellation policy in the 14-30 day range.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The timeshare rental websites let the owner communicate privately and directly with the potential renters, and write they own rental terms.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
far cheaper to list for rent on TUG as well, and even free with the LMR forum =)

http://rent.tug2.net

a8b114

Reaction score
Do all timeshare companies help owners out with renting out their weeks through either their own rental efforts or through distribution agreements with Vacatia, HomeAway, etc? If so, do they take a large commission or fee?

It is surprising to me that there isn't more collaboration between timeshare cos / owners and the biggest vacation rental sites which draw significantly more traffic than Vacatia and other timeshare rental sites. Maybe this will happen more in the future?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if it became common knowledge that the average person could rent a timeshare from an existing owner, fewer people would buy.

much like the resale market, you wont find the industry supporting anything that risks their retail sales model.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The large timeshare management companies have their OWN high priced rentals to market, so for the most part, they aren't interested in helping owners. They are interested in helping themselves, and their investors.

Sometimes resorts will have a program where owners can enroll their timeshare in the resort's rental program, but usually the resort takes a large cut, and may or may not rent your timeshare - in other words, you could lose all or part of the week you enroll.

Sometimes the small stand alone resorts have rental programs that actually benefit the owners.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think Marriott charges 40 % if they rent your week.

I'm not sure if Marriott still uses a 40% metric for rentals because the program is far less advantageous for owners than it used to be, and for the overwhelming majority of Weeks there's a much better return through external rental sites.

But if you want the convenience it's a simple enough process. Contact Owner Services via telephone or navigate through **Book My Stay --> Use My Week --> select "Marriott Rental Program" in the dropdown box** on the owners.marriottvacationclub.com website. If they want your Week (there's no guarantee that they will) they'll send you the paperwork, when it's returned they'll issue a check.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all timeshare companies help owners out with renting out their weeks through either their own rental efforts or through distribution agreements with Vacatia, HomeAway, etc? If so, do they take a large commission or fee?

It is surprising to me that there isn't more collaboration between timeshare cos / owners and the biggest vacation rental sites which draw significantly more traffic than Vacatia and other timeshare rental sites. Maybe this will happen more in the future?

Wyndham will "help" their owners rent through their extra holidays program but ther are no guarantees and they take a 40% commission

I find the free advertising her on tug the most expensive because it usually doesn't work. Why? Because almost everyone here already owns timeshares and when the do rent they approach me as if they are doing me a favor. I could offer a rental for $10 a night here on tug and folks would try to beat me down to $5

I like to advertise on Craig's list Because it makes my phone ring although I just put an up on TripAdvisor and something new called Weholi
Lately however Ive had my best success providing inventory to other megarenters and travel agencies. They do all the work finding customers and collecting the money I make less than if I did it on my own, but I make it up in volume