• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI 1 in 3/4/5 Policy Confusion

waffles77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how this works or what it means?

Am I unable to get multiple exchanges for the same hotel for the same trip? For example, if I take a trip with family members and we want 2 separate rooms, are we unable to do that?

Thanks!

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'd be unable to do 2 separate rooms.

1 in 3 would mean you can only exchange into the resort once every 3 years. So if you booked 2 rooms that would be 2 exchanges which wouldn't work. You can do an experiment to show this. Go in and put a hold on a unit at a 1 in 3/4/5 resort. Now go back and do another search for the same resort. When you click on available units it will list but indicate that you can't have them because of the 1 in 3/4/5 rule.

Now sometimes, a resort has different homeowner's associations for different buildings or stages of the developement. If that's the case, they often each have there own 1 in 3/4/5 rule so that you can in fact get two units at the same time.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is true you can't do it online, but you often *can* call in; concurrent or consecutive reservations are informally treated as "one" exchange in many cases. In a few resorts, the Urgent Information explicitly limits or disallows this, but it can't hurt to call and find out what the policy is for the one you are considering.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the resort, so it's best to check with RCI. At some 1-in-4 resorts, you can book consecutive or concurrent weeks, and they are treated like one reservation. Also, some "restricted" resorts have been known to relax their rule when there's a lot of inventory.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You really have to look at the information for each unit. And they can change. The Manhattan Club used to allow concurrent exchanges as an exception to the one in four rule, now they explicitly don't.

But I agree, that MOST resorts, I believe, will allow concurrent exchanges as an exception to the one in (whatever) rule.

waffles77

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you know which resorts fall under the 1 in 3/4/5 rules?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you click on "Available Units" it will detailed in a message on that page.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For example the Orlando Orange Lakes have a single, joint restriction:

Policy Restrictions
1 in 3 rule applies.

Additional Information
The one in 3 year rule applies to all Holiday Inn Orange Lake Florida properties: 0670,8881, 8896 and 8897.

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
In January I stayed in a 2 bedroom at HGVC Bay Club Waikoloa the first week and a 1 bedroom the second week. They weren't even booked at the same time but since they were concurrent reservations RCI considered it one exchange.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
1/3,4,5 rule is unique to resort/Developer and have to read fine print about reservation details and if in doubt call resort

Kinda like Disney blackout in Orlando.

Also, subject to change!

waffles77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great answers.

Does II have a similar policy?

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
No other exchange company has a 1 in 3, 4, 5 policy - that's why I find it hard to believe that this is a resort-initiated policy.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is at the discretion of the resorts, but only RCI offers it as an option in their exchange system. II does not have 1-in-N rules, but does have some geographical restrictions. Specifically, the current disclosure guide says this:

Some Members may be restricted from exchanging into resorts
located within the same geographical area as the Home Resort
accommodations that are being deposited or relinquished. There are
currently such restrictions in Aruba; Barbados; Cabo San Lucas,Mexico;
Cancún, Mexico; Cyprus; Dominican Republic; Door County, Wisconsin;
Eastern British Columbia; Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee; Grand
Bahama Island; Grand Cayman Island; Guatemala; Hawaii (the Big
Island); Maui, Hawaii; Kauai, Hawaii; Hilton Head, South Carolina;
Lake Tahoe, California; Las Vegas, Nevada; Madeira, Portugal;
Malta; Marco Island, Florida; Mazatlán, Mexico; Naples, Florida;
Okaloosa and Walton County, Florida; Kissimmee/Orlando, Florida;
Palm Desert, California; Palm Springs, California; Phuket, Thailand;
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Riviera Maya, Mexico; Riviera Nayarit,
Mexico; St. Maarten; Stateline, Nevada; Summit County, Colorado;
Virginia Beach, Virginia; and Williamsburg, Virginia. Generally,this
restriction does not apply to Members requesting an exchange to
Member Resorts under common ownership or management with the
Home Resort. Additional geographic areas may be restricted in the
future. Members affected by any future restrictions will be advised via
II’s regular publications.

twinmommy19

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by these policies too. Is the restriction based on the account or the week? In other words if you owned 6 weeks, would you be able to trade in using each one time? Also - if a resort has multiple resort codes, does the policy apply for each separately?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the restriction based on the account or the week?
Per account. So, if all six weeks are in one account, you can only exchange in once per N years. A few TUGgers have been known to maintain separate accounts to get around this, and if you have a Weeks account and access through a mini-system portal, those are treated separately as well.

if a resort has multiple resort codes, does the policy apply for each separately?
It depends. The Orange Lake example I linked to earlier applies 1-in-3 to all Orlando resorts in the group. Vistana Resort likewise groups Vistana and Vistana-Fountains. Groupo Mayan applies it to *all* of their resorts as a group, but sometimes lifts it when they are swamped with inventory. But, e.g. the HGVCs on Oahu are all in the same development and are all treated separately.

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per account. So, if all six weeks are in one account, you can only exchange in once per N years. A few TUGgers have been known to maintain separate accounts to get around this, and if you have a Weeks account and access through a mini-system portal, those are treated separately as well..

I have two separate accounts and was not able to exchange into a resort that I had visited using the other account. And, I am not referring to the week's account one gets with a points account. If the name is the same on both accounts you may be flagged like I was.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure how RCI counts the 1 in 4 (for example)? If I go in Nov. 2010, does that mean I cannot go until Nov. 2014 or can I go in Jan. 2014. Or can I go in 2013 because the is the 4th year (2010,2011,2012,2013)? I have heard conflicting information.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 1-3,4,5 rule is not RCI. It is strictly limited to each resort.

No other exchange company recognizes!

There is no blanket policy just sales BS to get one to buy retail!

You to need to call specific resort to see how they are enforcing!

Due to excess inventory lots of flexibility!

riverside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there something internally that keeps RCI from booking you into a 1 in 4 resort or do we have to keep track of it ourselves? Also, if a resort didn't have that rule when you were there 2 years ago but then instituted it, does the 1 in 4 take effect when it was instituted or do they go back?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the RCI system won't let you break the 1 in 4 rule. It will show the weeks as "available" but not available to you since their "records show you've stayed there" within the 1 in 4 rule.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
if a resort didn't have that rule when you were there 2 years ago but then instituted it, does the 1 in 4 take effect when it was instituted or do they go back?
They go back; I stayed in a Sheraton resort in 2010. They added 1-in-4 last yearish, and I'm blocked until the appropriate week in 2014.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Depending on the resort you may be able to book multiple units as long as the start date is the same. We actually have 4 units for an upcoming big family trip at a resort with a 1:4 rule, but since we are all traveling together under one reservation, it was allowed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on the resort you may be able to book multiple units as long as the start date is the same. We actually have 4 units for an upcoming big family trip at a resort with a 1:4 rule, but since we are all traveling together under one reservation, it was allowed.
The thread is 3 years old. I'd suggest it varies from one resort to another as to whether they enforce it and the specifics. Some don't allow multiple units at one time or limit how many and some limit the number of consecutive weeks one can get. Plus it's per account generally and not per person so one might be able to get in from different directions if needing to bypass the rule.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
The thread is 3 years old. I'd suggest it varies from one resort to another as to whether they enforce it and the specifics. Some don't allow multiple units at one time or limit how many and some limit the number of consecutive weeks one can get. Plus it's per account generally and not per person so one might be able to get in from different directions if needing to bypass the rule.

That's why I said "depending on the resort..."

Earlier posts said that you could not have two units at the same time, and I want readers to know to check their specific resort's rules.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Keep in mind the 1:3 or 4 rule is for exchanges only. If you want to return to the same resort (or group of) more frequently then you'll have to rent or find an Extra Vacation or Last Call week.

We have booked/stayed 7 weeks within a 5 year time frame at the same resort that has a 1:3 rule. Only 1 of those weeks was an exchange. The other 4 years (in a row) were booked from Extras or Last Calls. The last time we went I booked 3 EV weeks and extended family vacationed with us. :whoopie:

My SiL & family spent Spring Break at Orange Lake (with a 1:3 rule) for 4 years in a row -all Extra Vacation Weeks.

~Diane