• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation Questions

kcs1965

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new owner and avid reader of the forum. A question or two around reservations made via the mywyndham portal:

1) If I make a reservation and get charged the $30 which I subsequently cancel, do I get a refund?

2) If I am unable to find openings at a given resort, does the system have the ability to take a request and let me know if a spot opens up?

Thanks again for your continued guidance to a newbie.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Hi all,

Brand new owner and avid reader of the forum. A question or two around reservations made via the mywyndham portal:

1) If I make a reservation and get charged the $30 which I subsequently cancel, do I get a refund?

2) If I am unable to find openings at a given resort, does the system have the ability to take a request and let me know if a spot opens up?

Welcome. To answer your questions, no and no.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Hi all,

Item #2 is an important / sensitive point. While it would seem fair and right to be able to take a 'waiting list' as I believe RCI does, that has not been a part of the Wyndham reservation system. Conversely, if it were possible then this would cause a big disadvantage to VIP members because VIP members get a points discount for reservations made in the last 30/45 or 60 days before travel. One strategy VIP members use is to cancel their reservation within that number of days hoping nobody else gets it including Wyndham themselves who sometimes takes back canceled reservations automatically if they have overbooked due to a maintenance problem or even if they want to rent it out in their own rental program. Then after canceling the VIP member immediately re-books that same room for the discount. If there were a waiting list then there would be little chance that the room would 'come back' after canceling during high demand seasons.

If Wyndham does upgrade their system (has been talk of doing so for several years) to handle waiting lists, then maybe they would come up with some other benefit to incent owners to buy directly from them and become VIP members.

Bob

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
On item two, I was not aware of any cancel and rebook through the portal, or any VIP discount.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
On item two, I was not aware of any cancel and rebook through the portal, or any VIP discount.

This only matters if you have VIP status.

Anybody can cancel and attempt to rebook on the website. But non-VIP do not have a reason to do so (i.e., to get a discounted booking inside of 30/45/60 days, which is strictly tied to one's VIP level).

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
This only matters if you have VIP status.

Anybody can cancel and attempt to rebook on the website. But non-VIP do not have a reason to do so (i.e., to get a discounted booking inside of 30/45/60 days, which is strictly tied to one's VIP level).

Although, we used to be able to, when they were still doing substantial resort specials. I know I did once for a January stay at WBC, but it's been a good couple of years since they've had actual specials. Or, if you're trying to get a reservation for a weird number of days, I know I've heard talk of booking a full week or 3 or 4 days during the standard reservation period to "hold your spot," then canceling and rebooking the actual days you want during the express period once the restrictions are lifted. I've never done this, but I'm sure I've seen people talk about it here on the forum.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Item #2 is an important / sensitive point. While it would seem fair and right to be able to take a 'waiting list' as I believe RCI does, that has not been a part of the Wyndham reservation system. Conversely, if it were possible then this would cause a big disadvantage to VIP members because VIP members get a points discount for reservations made in the last 30/60 or 90 days before travel. One strategy VIP members use is to cancel their reservation within that number of days hoping nobody else gets it including Wyndham themselves who sometimes takes back canceled reservations automatically if they have overbooked due to a maintenance problem or even if they want to rent it out in their own rental program. Then after canceling the VIP member immediately re-books that same room for the discount. If there were a waiting list then there would be little chance that the room would 'come back' after canceling during high demand seasons.

If Wyndham does upgrade their system (has been talk of doing so for several years) to handle waiting lists, then maybe they would come up with some other benefit to incent owners to buy directly from them and become VIP members.

Bob

Bob

its neither important or sensitive for any owner other than the few that make a living doing rentals (at least not yet)

You are absolutely right that a wait list would be a problem for those of us that do rentals in any significant numbers because that 50% discount is often the only thing that separates profit from loss. But we know its a scam and everyone Ive talked to is making their plans to deal with the change if it happens> I, for example, expect to concentrate my efforts with the high demand,/ low supply stuff like summers in Myrtle Beach and winters in South Florida, These are reservations where I can charge enough that even if I have to pay full price I can still profit. Profit less than with a 50% discount but still profit. Ill make up for any reduction in profit per reservation, by buying more points and doing more rentals at these high demand locations

As I see (if a wait list is introduced) it ought to free up a ton of availability at places like Las Vegas and Orlando but close down places, like the two I mentioned above, to the average owner.

I think a wait list is inevitable but I also think that it will only give the illusion of a fairer system. In the long run it will hurt the average guy more than it helps. Myrtle Beach will become just a couple of pretty pictures in the book, but it will be impossible to reserve at 10 months and I would bet end up like Glacier Canyon.. filled with more renters than owners.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Hi all,
...2) If I am unable to find openings at a given resort, does the system have the ability to take a request and let me know if a spot opens up? ...

Am I the only one who thinks that there will be unintended consequences which will negatively affect the average owner.

Mega-renters will be placing waitlist requests at a level where average owners won't have a chance to get anything. If we thought bots were bad, a waitlist could be much worse. Mega-renters don't need a bot when a waitlist works even better for them.

And when it comes to cancel/rebook, wouldn't we expect the mega-renters to place a number of entries in a waitlist days, weeks or even months before initiating the cancel/rebook. If the waitlist triggers a buy for the mega-renters before the VIP benefits kick in, they will take the reservations. When they are working with 50,000,000 to 200,000,000 points, there is room to do it. This will just give them a bigger backup when the cancel/rebook time arrives.

Waitlist lovers, watch what you wish for.

Jim

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
One wait to help control a Wait List (WMTC uses one) is to limit the number of Wait List a member can have pending. It is going from 8 to 4.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark has a waitlist and they don't have an opportunity to get discounts and yet renting still happens

I wonder if adding a waitlist and eliminating the almost routine 50% discounts the megarenters enjoy will have any effect on rental activity at all

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
One wait to help control a Wait List (WMTC uses one) is to limit the number of Wait List a member can have pending. It is going from 8 to 4.

Maga-renters don't deal with just one account. A mega-renter may have at least 25 Platinum accounts that are being managed all at the same time. Even a limit of 4 times 25 accounts leads to putting 100 entries in a waitlist.

I still think that a mega-renter will love a waitlist. It will automate an existing manual operation that they must now perform, ie. continually searching for the right reservation.

Jim

Last edited:

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Am I the only one who thinks that there will be unintended consequences which will negatively affect the average owner.

Mega-renters will be placing waitlist requests at a level where average owners won't have a chance to get anything. If we thought bots were bad, a waitlist could be much worse. Mega-renters don't need a bot when a waitlist works even better for them.

And when it comes to cancel/rebook, wouldn't we expect the mega-renters to place a number of entries in a waitlist days, weeks or even months before initiating the cancel/rebook. If the waitlist triggers a buy for the mega-renters before the VIP benefits kick in, they will take the reservations. When they are working with 50,000,000 to 200,000,000 points, there is room to do it. This will just give them a bigger backup when the cancel/rebook time arrives.

Waitlist lovers, watch what you wish for.

Jim

Jim and Ron make good points. I am NOT wishing for a wait list.

Bob

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

cancel and rebook and VIP discount were not referenced as a benefit through the RCI portal. The only reference to using the RCI portal was that it did have an option for a waitlist in the form of an ongoing search.