• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

holy moly! My 1st exchange was a studio for a 3 bedroom at Koolina!

travelmom11

Reaction score
I think I scored a great exchange. Just exchanged our studio for a 3 bedroom at Koolina over Labor day week :) So excitied! I was trying to find a place we havent been but it was too good to pass up :)

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I scored a great exchange. Just exchanged our studio for a 3 bedroom at Koolina over Labor day week :) So excitied! I was trying to find a place we havent been but it was too good to pass up :)

that is a great trade

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nice! What resort was your studio for? So much value can be had if you can plan within just a few months out!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I thought you couldn't uptrade? :shrug:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
During flexchange the uptrade restrictions are relaxed.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you couldn't uptrade? :shrug:

If the larger unit is available for instant exchange and your smaller unit has enough trade power to pull it, you can uptrade by performing an instant online exchange.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I saw that unit come up as well and it appeared that there were a few 3 br available that week as I saw it first thing this morning and still after the post here. I managed to pull it up with my studio SR. There seems to be tonnes of availability of 2br in September for any week you want right now still. All the 3br look like they are gone.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I saw that unit come up as well and it appeared that there were a few 3 br available that week as I saw it first thing this morning and still after the post here. I managed to pull it up with my studio SR. There seems to be tonnes of availability of 2br in September for any week you want right now still. All the 3br look like they are gone.

Interesting. I've seen larger units before when searching with the 1-BR and Studio, but I didn't think that the actual exchange would go thru.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Interesting. I've seen larger units before when searching with the 1-BR and Studio, but I didn't think that the actual exchange would go thru.

If you can see it on-line, that means you can book it.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
To the OP -- were you able to get a decent airfare at this fairly late date? That would determine if I would take the exchange or not.

travelmom11

Reaction score
airfare

To the OP -- were you able to get a decent airfare at this fairly late date? That would determine if I would take the exchange or not.

We live on the west coast so airfare to Hawaii is never that bad. If we want to leave from an airport further away (SFO, OAK, San Jose) then we can fly Alaska Airlines as with our credit card they have a buy one airfare get one airefare for $99 certificate (we get a cert every year). They now fly non-stop to HNL (and Maui, etc) I also noticed through the Interval/Marriott deal that there is a 5% off code through Hawaiian Airlines if we could through them.

travelmom11

Reaction score
dummy code

Just wanted to mention that I was using the dummy code (8XXX..) and pulled it up so I did not have anything deposited at all in II. I started to book it online but forgot I put in that code so I called the 1-800 for a rep to finish it. If I had not called the rep and tried to do it myself, would I have just gotten a "your reservation code is invalid" and then been able to put the correct conf number in? or is the way I did it the only way to do it when using a dummy code at first?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
If the larger unit is available for instant exchange and your smaller unit has enough trade power to pull it, you can uptrade by performing an instant online exchange.
This is thru II, not the destination club

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that I was using the dummy code (8XXX..) and pulled it up so I did not have anything deposited at all in II. I started to book it online but forgot I put in that code so I called the 1-800 for a rep to finish it. If I had not called the rep and tried to do it myself, would I have just gotten a "your reservation code is invalid" and then been able to put the correct conf number in? or is the way I did it the only way to do it when using a dummy code at first?
You would have been able to complete the reservation online with the dummy code. But you'd then have to call in and have a rep switch your unit used to a real one. This can be useful if II isn't open when you find a great exchange like you did today. Congrats and have a wonderful trip!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or after you put it on 18 min hold with the dummy code, you can go back on your browser (or redo the search in another window if you're paranoid) to enter the actual reservation code, and then book it. It's not going anywhere, you will still be able to see it when you go back to find it to exchange into.

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a very late deposit accepted of my DSV II to Interval - way outside their standard policy in March as we decided to go spring skiing instead of using the unit over spring break. I put in for Hawaii any time in August and in June got my confirmation for a 2 bedroom Mountain View checking in Aug 25th. I just happened to view this thread and decided to see if I couldn't re-trade for a 3 bedroom. My first search turned up nothing, but 10 minutes later I tried again and a 3BR showed up! I put in my confirmation code for my 2013 usage as a placeholder to grab it, called up II and they processed the re-trade for the same dates (for $129 additional exchange fee). Lots more room now for the 5 of us going plus the Ocean View which all 3BR have a Ko Olina. Totally thankful of these boards.

Last edited:

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a very late deposit accepted of my DSV II to Interval - way outside their standard policy in March as we decided to go spring skiing instead of using the unit over spring break. I put in for Hawaii any time in August and in June got my confirmation for a 2 bedroom Mountain View checking in Aug 25th. I just happened to view this thread and decided to see if I couldn't re-trade for a 3 bedroom. My first search turned up nothing, but 10 minutes later I tried again and a 3BR showed up! I put in my confirmation code for my 2013 usage as a placeholder to grab it, called up II and they processed the re-trade for the same dates (for $129 additional exchange fee). Lots more room now for the 5 of us going plus the Ocean View which all 3BR have a Ko Olina. Totally thankful of these boards.
Doesn't the new tower have 3 bedroom mountain view units?

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the new tower have 3 bedroom mountain view units?

Everything I've read says that all 3BR at Ko Olina are Ocean View. Now whether or not I'm on floor 5 or something higher remains to be seen.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything I've read says that all 3BR at Ko Olina are Ocean View. Now whether or not I'm on floor 5 or something higher remains to be seen.

I read it in the March 2012 Ko'Olina owners newsletter. The second half of the Hale Nai'a Tower has three bedroom island view villas.

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read it in the March 2012 Ko'Olina owners newsletter. The second half of the Hale Nai'a Tower has three bedroom island view villas.

Hmmm.... so here is my confirmation code - ZZAO - can anyone confirm what this would be then? I haven't seen a separate code for a 3BR Island View.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We had a 5th floor 3 bedroom ocean view in Moana. Just checked the exchange history and it was ZZAO. We could see the ocean best from the studio balcony, but from the living room balcony we could just see the horizon through the palm trees. Still, it was a nice view down through the pools.

It was right over the exit side (to the pools) of the main entrance to the building. It was one of our more amazing exchanges, as we used an AC (from depositing Waiohai) for it, and tacked it on to a previously booked week in a Ko Olina two bedroom.

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
My reservation showed up on Marriott's site and it says "Room(s) 3 Bedroom Villa, Ocean view, Balcony" so I'm going to assume that it is OV.

Maybe they will come up with a new code for 3BR mountain view???

Lee55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club,
Marriott Aruba Surf Club,
& Marriott Grande Vista