• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I want to give away my Timeshare

beauxdeigh

Reaction score
Hi,

Complete noob here, looking for some guidance.

My wife and I bought into a timeshare about 10 years ago. Since that time our lifestyle has changed and our family has grown and the property no longer fits us. We want to let it go.

I recognize that resale values of timeshares are effectively zero in most cases. We've long since paid it off, so we're not trapped under a loan. I'm willing to give it away, but I'm not sure where to start.

[Specifics deleted] Do I need to contact Diamond before being able to sell the property?

Also, what paperwork do I need to have in place before finding a "buyer" and what paperwork is needed to complete the exchange?

Is there any advice regarding Diamond specifically? We want to make this process as smooth as we possibly can.

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will probably get phone calls from resale scammers offering to have it sold next week for thousands if you wire say $995 to them. Hang up

PCC guys may contact and for 3 years MF , $2K-$3K , whatever take off your hands. Kinda expensive.

So, advertise here, possibly do own e-bay ad, craigslist(beware of scammers) who want up front closing cash or send certified check and you wire overpayment somewhere.

Doesn't hurt to call resort and plead your case that you can't afford/use and want to give them first crack.

No easy solution. Look at your competition and price accordingly!

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have the original deed you received when you bought your TS? Finding it is a good place to begin. You WILL want to find out from Diamond what their fee for 'transferring' title is (only in their records because actual title is governed by the recorded deed). There are several closing services discussed and reviewed on this Board who can help you with all the rest. Good luck to you...

beauxdeigh

Reaction score
You will probably get phone calls from resale scammers offering to have it sold next week for thousands if you wire say $995 to them. Hang up

We've already received a couple of these. We didn't bite. I'm not giving anyone hundreds of dollars without a guarantee of performance.

PCC guys may contact and for 3 years MF , $2K-$3K , whatever take off your hands. Kinda expensive.

What's PCC?

So, advertise here, possibly do own e-bay ad, craigslist(beware of scammers) who want up front closing cash or send certified check and you wire overpayment somewhere.

I planned on advertising here. Is eBay worth the time?

Doesn't hurt to call resort and plead your case that you can't afford/use and want to give them first crack.

Does that work? Does anyone have any experience with Diamond doing a 'Deed-Back'?

No easy solution. Look at your competition and price accordingly!

No argument there. I want to give it away to someone who will use it.

beauxdeigh

Reaction score
Do you have the original deed you received when you bought your TS? Finding it is a good place to begin. You WILL want to find out from Diamond what their fee for 'transferring' title is (only in their records because actual title is governed by the recorded deed). There are several closing services discussed and reviewed on this Board who can help you with all the rest. Good luck to you...

Find the deed. Check.

Title transferring fee. Hooray.

Closing service. Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by pacodemountainside

What's PCC?

They are guys/gals that procure the listings you see on e-bay. They send out tons of post cards(about 1/2 cost of first class mail). They have you call and sent up an appointment when they are in your area next week. Gal answering phone does not know nothing-just makes reservations. Often offer a $20 gas voucher or similar.

Meet with you in hotel/motel and are so sympathetic to your plight and agree Wyndham sales scammers should be boiled in oil!

Fortunately, they have a magic solution, you just give them a couple grand and quit claim your deed to them and you are a free person. No more MF, resale scammers, etc. Take your spouse out to dinner tonight and celebrate!

Last edited:

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that PCC's are Post Card Companies. They love to send out post cards with a lot of phony bait.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beau, just list it up above here in the Bargain Deals sub-forum. Just follow the basic outline (resort, size, season, number of points, MF, transfer cost- whether buye or you will pay, you may sweeten the pot by booking a desirable week for the new owner). You will want to revisit your ad, Say weekly or so to bump it up.
Look in the TUG BBB for a reputable closing agent if you don't want to DIY.

Good luck! Welcome to TUG. Yours is a nice resort in Sedona, but we already own one in town. :)

Jim Ricks

beauxdeigh

Reaction score
Beau, just list it up above here in the Bargain Deals sub-forum. Just follow the basic outline (resort, size, season, number of points, MF, transfer cost- whether buye or you will pay, you may sweeten the pot by booking a desirable week for the new owner). You will want to revisit your ad, Say weekly or so to bump it up.

Actually, that was my sales plan. I just wanted to be sure that I had checked as many of the pre- and post- sales boxes as I could before I started. I didn't want to wind up missing a vital piece of information and not be able to close the deal.

Look in the TUG BBB for a reputable closing agent if you don't want to DIY.

I work with a mechanic when my car needs repair. I work with a tax accountant every March, once all of our documents have come in. I'm a firm believer in working with the right expert for the right job.

Yours is a nice resort in Sedona, but we already own one in town. :)

Then I'm scratching your name off of my list, Jim. See if I send you a Christmas card. :)

beauxdeigh

Reaction score
How can I give my timeshare away on TUG? -> http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132509

Thanks, I read that one, too. I plan to follow it exactly once I'm ready to list it. I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need before I jump in, because I don't want to be perceived as an untrustworthy seller if I forgot something.

I'll call Diamond tomorrow and get the xfer fee amount and any other info they're willing to give up. I'll make sure I have the deed in hand. Then I'll post it in the Bargain Deals forum as per your excellent advice.

I'll probably contact a closing service ahead of time to find out what they'll need.

Any other advice?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work with a mechanic when my car needs repair. I work with a tax accountant every March, once all of our documents have come in. I'm a firm believer in working with the right expert for the right job.
If you feel that you need someone to hold your hand through the process, there are some licenced timeshare resale brokers. Find one on this site http://www.licensedtimeshareresalebrokers.org/member-directory.php?curr_page=1

We have some members of their group on this forum (not me).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you feel that you need someone to hold your hand through the process, there are some licenced timeshare resale brokers. Find one on this site http://www.licensedtimeshareresalebrokers.org/member-directory.php?curr_page=1

We have some members of their group on this forum (not me).

There are definitely some good brokers on TUG, but using a broker will add $1,000 to the cost, and for a free timeshare this will either mean that the owner will shoulder the cost, or it won't be free.

A reputable deed transfer is all that is really needed.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Find the deed. Check.

Title transferring fee. Hooray.

Closing service. Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks.

Go through your entire process. If you cannot give it away, there are good service providers who will help liquidate your timeshare for under $1000. Just keep looking, many are listed in the threads quoted on this thread.