• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this exists on TUG. If you go to the TUG Marketplace there is an area where you can list your week as available for trade exchange with another TUGger for their week. It is a way to get around the RCI exchange fees. You would have to provide a guest certificate for whom ever you trade with. List of all Free Timeshare Exchanges available on TUG!

also, this Timeshare Advice article explains the process of free direct exchanges on TUG!

Free TUG Exchange program!

and here is a link to the directions (with screenshots) on how to post your exchange ad for free!

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....es-with-each-other.128531/page-8#post-2001004

Last edited by a moderator:

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it difficult to navigate as you must check each add individually to see what the person is interested in exchanging to--could there be another way to set it up?? thanx, Dawn

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
table would be nice...

Just wanted to second Dawn's comment. Perhaps a table setup would help, with one column for "I Have" and another column for "I Want" would work.

I will have to agree. That would make scanning through so easy. I used to copy the table, put in my word processor and then just search for what interested me. Worked so easily.

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
I heartily agree with the comments that have been posted here. I have often said to myself "I wish I could look at a list of those who want what I have".

abc31

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I heartily agree with the comments that have been posted here. I have often said to myself "I wish I could look at a list of those who want what I have".

Me too!

Also, there used to be a "potential exchange" list. It would be great if we could have one under the new system.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately changing the results grid to display more information is a much larger task than originally anticipated, as the same grid is used to display all search results for the other ad types as well, and we are going to have to create something new just for the exchanges, but we are working on it.

As for "potential exchanges" all direct exchange ads are potential exchanges IMO. you arent paying anything to submit the ad and look around.

When you submit a direct exchange ad, you are submitting your resort for others to look at, as well as submitting with that...what you are looking to trade for.

There is nothing binding within TUG that forces you to make a trade etc etc, I really was expecting more people to submit their own resorts into the new marketplace under exchange ads.

once the automatic matching logic is complete, you will all recieve notification about potential matches of people who want what you have...and have what you want!

so go input all your resorts into the marketplace as exchange ads! TUG is working to make your exchanges free...might as well take advantage of it!

abc31

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the new marketplace you've set up for us members. And in most ways it is fantastic, but I really did like the set of the potential exchange list. It just let you know who was open to being contacted, even if they weren't particularly looking for a trade.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess I am a bit confused, every exchange posted in the marketplace the individual is interested in trading...and they provide you with what they are interested in trading in.

Taking this individuals ad for example

http://tug2.com/TimeshareMarketplac...tingGUID=b4ee2bcf-11ac-44ec-b7d2-c024605acbbb

he is wanting to trade his week 14 in cape cod to another TUG member via direct exchange.

He is looking for ANY resort on the west coast, any week, during 2009

could he "potentially" be willing to take a week elsewhere? sure! and you could certainly contact him and ask.

IMO every direct exchange is a potential exchange....they are posting their weeks up to find other weeks to trade with individually.

Could you elaborate on what you feel the difference between the ads posted now, and what you think "potential exchanges" are?

lotus5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Booking a non-member into your timeshare

I would guess easiest way would be to call your property and book them.

ptprism

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why oh why don't more people try this?

I am typing this from a 2BR at the Galleon resort on Key West. :cool:I traded for this with another TUG member. It cost both of us NOTHING--zero, nada, zilch, zip, bupkus. What part of that don't the TUG members understand?

For several years I have been posting threads here every six months or so asking why more members don't utilize this wonderful resource. And the answers?

"I never see anything I want..." Not like RCI or II where you always see what you want, right?:doh:

"How can I be sure that my trade will be honored?" It's called faith. If you aren't willing to trust another TUG member, then this isn't for you. Stick with RCI where at least you can be sure they will always honor your request, never cancel or switch you at the last minute, etc.

"What if I have to cancel?" You can work it out with your trade partner--you're both adults. It's amazing how much more compassionate another member will be to your problems compared to RCI or another trade company who only sees you as a dollar sign.

How do I know? I have made at least 10 individual private trades with TUG members over the last 8 years. I've had to cancel and had them cancel on me--and we worked it out to both of our benefits. I've had a trade I was unhappy with and received a MORE than fair settlement. I've NEVER had a problem that couldn't be solved by two fellow timeshare members working together for a solution that was fair and acceptable to both of us.:clap:

But mostly, I have had great trades--like this one--that I couldn't have gotten (most likely) through RCI et al. And this was quick and easy--as all of the swaps have been.

On top of that, I have made several "trade pals" that I still correspond with. All of us have felt we got a great deal on the trades and have agreed to make the same trades again in the futures as the opportunity arises. :banana:

So why don't more members register their weeks? :shrug: I don't know--but I wish you all would. You don't need a destination to request. Leave that part open. Just say you are willing to discuss any trades. Or, if there are certain places you don't want to go, just say--"No Orlando, Williamsburg or Las Vegas". That's what I say. You'll be surprised at what you may be offered.

And you'll meet some great new friends. Obviously, you are under no obligation to accept ANY trade that is offered. But the flexibility is really cool. I made one trade where neither of us had the properties that we wanted. But we could both get them by swapping our existing properties. So we both traded our properties for something the other wanted. Then we swapped those to each other and just had the original swapees issue the reservation in that person's name. And it worked exactly as planned. No problems at all because we all took care of the other as we wanted to be taken care of.

If you have any specific questions or want to discuss privately, please feel free to contact me at pwprism@comcast.net. Otherwise, just list your weeks (ALL of them that you are willing to swap) in the listing area. The farther out the better...want to swap your 2011 week now? You can do it!

And be open to new ideas. You may be amazed at what you are offered. I was. And I'll never settle for just trading through exchange companies again.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as soon as we upload the new 2.0 code to the members only site (hopefully next weekend) ill be sending off a large email to everyone who had previously submitted a direct exchange ad in the old system (its alot of people)

The new functionality of the MARKETPLACE for direct exchanges will provide you instant results that match your exchange criteria, and not only that...will email you when someone posts a new direct exchange that matches what you are looking for as well!

you can post exchanges using this functionality by going to the testing site now

http://testing.tug2.com/timesharemarketplace

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey lookie there...got a few more after posting this =)

Also got a few emails, and I figure I should answer the questions publicly.

1. there is no cost to submit your ad, or make a trade...you are dealing directly with other TUGGERS. You do have to of course have a TUG membership to post an ad though.

2. We do not take your week, you are not obligated to TUG in any way when posting your week for exchange. You are welcome to do anything else you wish with any other exchange company even if your ad is listed on TUG.

3. You can post as many exchange weeks/ads as you like...they do not count towards your regular classified ad count and do not expire (unless the usage date on your week has passed)

So post away, id like to see thousands of direct exchange listings vs the few hundred currently. Its easy and free...why not use it?

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
well it all sounds great to me so I am going to do it....I'll put some weeks in first chance I get....I am writing reviews for timeshares so once finished I'll check my list and put some in and see what happens...I have a lot of weeks, so this sounds good......

Brian, thanks for all your hard work.....and I bet this beats the heck out of RCI & other exchange companies.....You sure have a great site...I am really honored to be a member of TUG!!

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh I decided to put one in now....will pursue putting in others later. See what happens. Sounds like a win win for exchanging.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this exists on TUG. If you go to the TUG Marketplace there is an area where you can list your week as available for trade exchange with another TUGger for their week. It is a way to get around the RCI exchange fees. You would have to provide a guest certificate for whom ever you trade with. Click Here

If you own the week, the trade would have nothing to do with RCI (no guest certificate). You would only need to provide a letter of permission to use the week or call the resort and put the reservation in the name of the person you are trading with.

geekette

Reaction score
If you own the week, the trade would have nothing to do with RCI (no guest certificate). You would only need to provide a letter of permission to use the week or call the resort and put the reservation in the name of the person you are trading with.

Right = Guest Certificate is an RCI term, while most of us just need to call up the resort itself and tell them the name of the person checking in.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
new exchange system is now live and full time. all direct exchange ads submitted within TUG will recieve the full auto matching benefits and notifications of the new and improved system.

for those of you who submitted exchnage ads prior to the new system, might want to go in and edit your ads to include the "what you are looking to trade for" options!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
FYI, to date we have had nearly 300 direct exchange listings posted in the new marketplace!

Remember its free, and you are not obligated in any way to give up your week etc by just posting its availability on TUG!

http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also note that when you sign up for the newsletter, part of that letter is "latest TUG exchanges available" among other things.

that along with the auto matching feature should make for the best possible exposure to other TUGGERS looking to trade with you for free!

CherylC

TUG Member
Reaction score
listing all TS weeks

Am I understanding the ADMINs correctly, that I should post all my weeks in the Direct Exchange area, even ones I know I'll be using? :whoopie:

If so, should I post the consecutive weeks I own at a property individually or all three weeks in a single post?
Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Am I understanding the ADMINs correctly, that I should post all my weeks in the Direct Exchange area, even ones I know I'll be using? :whoopie:

If so, should I post the consecutive weeks I own at a property individually or all three weeks in a single post?
Thanks

You should only post the weeks that you are offering for exchange. You can post them separately, in case someone is looking for that specific week, and then in the box for additional info., state that the other consecutive weeks are available and list the dates.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea, I wouldnt post ones you KNOW you wont trade with someone else for...that would be pointless.

unless you arent 100% about using it, who knows...you might get an exchange offer you cant refuse between now and then.

you are NOT obligated to make a trade under any circumstances, the system is purely just for matchmaking between tuggers! its up to both of you (when a match is made) to decide if you want to trade or not!

and yes, post them separately...otherwise the matching system wont function properly!