• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do in China?

davhu1

Reaction score
I am interested in a few of the "shows" - Chinese opera is of most interest. Then the acrobats. I am not much of a martial arts fan - would I still enjoy the Kung Fu show?elaine

Chinese opera can be boring. The Legends of Kung Fu in Bejing has a story line and combines with ballet and dance. There is a preview here and see if you are interested.
http://thebeijingguide.com/shows/kungfu.html

Tang Dynasty show. You can see the show with or without dinner.
http://www.xiantangdynasty.com/Column.aspx?ColId=37

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chinese opera can be boring. The Legends of Kung Fu in Bejing has a story line and combines with ballet and dance. There is a preview here and see if you are interested.
http://thebeijingguide.com/shows/kungfu.html

Tang Dynasty show. You can see the show with or without dinner.
http://www.xiantangdynasty.com/Column.aspx?ColId=37

Loved the Legends of Kung Fu show link - it looks amazing!

i would love to have something to do in the evening in Xi'an, so I am interested in the Tang Dynasty show as well.

Thanks!
elaine

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also do the mongolian hot pot in Beijing too. There is a hot pot restaurant within Wangfuching shopping area that is pretty good.

My family joined a beijing tour this past June. There were a couple mandatory excursions we went to, including the Beijing Kung Fu Show. The show was interesting and my daughter liked it. We went to an afternoon show, the theater is half empty. We were in the yellow zone and could see the show pretty well as the middle seats were mostly empty.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go out for a mutton hot-pot dinner -- it was QUITE the delicious experience!

Interesting. Ian is very adventurous when it comes to eating. Me? Not so much.

I like lamb, but mutton? How do the tastes compare? Is there something special about the "hot pot.?"

elaine

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also do the mongolian hot pot in Beijing too. There is a hot pot restaurant within Wangfuching shopping area that is pretty good.

My family joined a beijing tour this past June. There were a couple mandatory excursions we went to, including the Beijing Kung Fu Show. The show was interesting and my daughter liked it. We went to an afternoon show, the theater is half empty. We were in the yellow zone and could see the show pretty well as the middle seats were mostly empty.

Hi Lily - what tour group did you join? Were you happy with it?

I am not familiar with the "hot pot" concept - can you explain?

I looked at the seating chart for the Red Theatre. There is a zone called the red zone where there appears to be more space between seats - is that true?

elaine

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Elaine. I joined a specialized subsidized tour for overseas Chinese to Beijing and to a couple nearby cities for 8 days in June that only costed me $99 per adult person but $199 for kids. We have many shopping stops though. Even including the mandatory excursions / tips, the trip was worth it.

Hot pot means cook the meats yourself. There are specialized pots with charcoal within a central funnel or a simple pot on top of a hot plate. You order the meats / vegetables and cook them yourself. There are special sauces you can dip the meats in. It is very good. Whenever I go to Beijing, I eat peking ducks, dumplings (not as good as the dimsum in southern part of China), hot pot and Korean grill meats (there are large population of Koreans in Beijing so there are many Korean restaurents there). I always gain weight whenever I go to China and then have to try to lose weight when I am back in the U.S.

In turn of the seating in the kung fu show, I did not pay attention to the width between seats. I personally do not think it is worth the premium for the red zone seats (alway $80 us per ticket). Some of people in my tour fell asleep during the show.

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like lamb, but mutton? How do the tastes compare? Is there something special about the "hot pot.?"

The hot pot is a style of cooking. There is a boiling pot of water on your table and you cook everything (meats and veggies) yourself by putting it into the hot water. It's not boiled food though, it's much much more delicious. I've obviously oversimplified, but it really is VERY good!

Mutton is quite tame, as lamb and mutton both come from sheep -- except that lamb is young sheep (less than one year) and mutton is adult. I actually find the taste and texture of mutton to be more akin to beef than to lamb.

Now that I checked my notes, we actually had the mutton hot-pot dinner in Beijing. In Xi'an, I think we went to Muslim street for dinner. Also delicious!

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Hot pot isn't water in any of the Asian restaurants I've been to here in Seattle - it's usually broth of some sort. Here's a Wikipedia link.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
for the hot pot broth, you can choose regular broth, spicy broth or half regular/half spicy. The spicy broth is very very hot; it can cause your tongue to be numb.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
for the hot pot broth, you can choose regular broth, spicy broth or half regular/half spicy. The spicy broth is very very hot; it can cause your tongue to be numb.

I enjoy sichuan peppercorns as well as heat. I do like to be able to still taste the food though :)

CatLovers said:
Yes broth! I obviously oversimplified!

Water just gave me the impression of something plain - which hot-pot usually is not :)

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds delicious - like fondue but with broth instead of oil?

elaine

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
new question

One of the tour guides that we have decided upon has asked that we send him his fees via Western Union prior to traveling - is this normal procedure?

elaine

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we hired taxi for the day in china, we paid at the end. Same for local guides, however we usually hired them at the attractions, not prearranged. I only paid in full in advance for tours only. If your tour guides are not arranged by tour company, I probably will feel more comfortable to pay them in person.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we hired taxi for the day in china, we paid at the end. Same for local guides, however we usually hired them at the attractions, not prearranged. I only paid in full in advance for tours only. If your tour guides are not arranged by tour company, I probably will feel more comfortable to pay them in person.

thanks, lily. I wasn't feeling comfortable. At the same time, I can understand a person that only has their time to sale wants to lock in a commitment.

elaine

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine. November is slow season in China and it can be cold in Beijing (like Chicago). So I can't imagine that tour guides are hard to book in November. I can understand if it is the summer or holiday season. I don't know how much money is involved but I would be uncomfortable to pay everything upfront and wire the money to someone I have never met. Maybe a deposit instead?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine, not to be too alarmist, but especially in Beijing, and to a lesser degree in cities elsewhere, try to limit your outdoor time as much as you can. The air there- how can I say this- stinks. You will see few- if any- birds. Of the roughly 50 people who accompanied us for a month there in 2002, almost all had respiratory problems toward the end of our visit and it lasted weeks after our return home.

Winter air is worse than other seasons, and since we were there, car sales have put roughly 1000 new vehicles on the roads every day.

China is a wonderful country- by that I mean it is full of wonder, but pollution IS a problem.

Jim

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reminder, Jim. This morning the travel nurse warned me about the air - it is bad for everyone and I have two chronic respiratory ailments. I bought medical masks and tomorrow I will need to get my inhaler refilled. And I had already forgotten to get my inhaler refill called in today. I probably would not have thought of it until I was on the plane.

I also got shots, I had my flu shot earlier just by walking into Walgreens. Ian wanted me to get it early because it takes some time to build up immunity. So, today, seven shots - Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, TB, tetanus booster and polio booster. My arms are sore.

I am now starting to pack. I am so excited!

elaine

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My arms are sore.

elaine

I bet. Sure seems odd to have to get all these immunizations to visit a country that is seemingly in the forefront of the world's technologies and economies. But that's the way it is.

Have fun and bring back lots of memories.

Jim

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

thanks everyone, I have an itinerary I am very happy with. I have guides lined up for the various days we need guides. I have all of my shots. And I am starting to pack.

Jim, thanks for the advice about the air. I have a breathing condition and environmental onset asthma, so I bought 3 hospital grade masks. Now I just need to get up the nerve to wear them.

elaine

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have come unhinged!

First a little background. I am one of those "crunchy mamas." I have gardened organically for more than 20 years. The organic produce that I buy I wash in an organic cleaner and then rinse at least three times. And I drive a natural gas car. Mow my lawn with a reel mower --- a green nut. And I have been for 40 years.

So, I go to the travel health clinic to get the shots. And they have a nurse that talks to you about safety measures. Among the things that she talks about are all of the mosquito and tick borne illnesses. And she recommends a spray for treating my luggage and outer clothing. And i can use the same spray as a knock-down spray for treating our room. And, like an idiot, I buy this stuff.

I bought it a couple of days ago. Today was the day for spraying my clothes. I take my suitcase outside and spray the outside of it first. :eek: As soon as I start spraying, I realize that i have just sprayed my suitcase with a highly toxic chemical ---exactly the kind of thing that I have been avoiding for 40 years. I am not about to spray the stuff on my clothes. And now I have 3 quarts of this highly toxic chemical in my house. :(

I did get a couple of things that may be useful. A UV water purifier. Sterile wipes. Antibiotics.

elaine

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who to tip?

I know that tipping is generally not expected for servers and taxi drivers.

I have questions about the following:

tour guides?
concierges?
housekeepers?
bell services?

Guidance appreciated

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine. I never use concierge, so can't comment on it. No tip needed for housekeepers in Chinese hotels. I pay usually $1-2 per bags in better hotels. When I join tours to China, a daily mandatory tip of $8-10 per person for the local guide and the guide that accompany us the whole trip, the bus driver and baggage fee. If I hire a local guide at a local attraction, then no tip needed and the fees are negotiated on the spot.
By the way, make sure to try massages in China (foot massage and whole body). A 1 hour foot massage include 20 minuites soaking plus about 40 min massages for both feet. When your feet are being soaked in medicine water, you get a massage on your neck and back. They are very good and very inexpensive in comparison to that in the U.S. I live on massages whenever I am in China and go on withdrawal when I return to the U.S.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

We are in Chicago awaiting the last leg of the trip home. And our plane has been delayed due to high winds here. I feel like I am going to fall over. I am so glad that y'all encouraged me to fly first class. I really feel sorry for the people that have had the same thing happen to them after being cooped up for 12 hours (we came back through Narita).

I found China to be amazing. Using a website called "agoda" I booked really nice hotels and very reasonable rates - in every place except for Xi'an which was booked up and no rooms were inexpensive.

In Hangzhou, we stayed in two different hotels: the Shangri-La which was booked by Ian's employer. It was fantastic. Older and the location was right on the park. The next two nights while we were on our own, we stayed at the Dragon Hotel - beautiful hotel and the rooms was extremely spacious. The location was not nearly as good as Shangri-La. It is very modern and left me a little cold because of all of the hard surfaces. But the bed was great. And the tub was great, too.

In Beijing, we stayed at the Raffles Hotel. Stunning - the manager gave us a tour of the hotel at check-in. She said that it was the only historic hotel in Beijing - it had originally been built as a French hotel in the early 20th century. This was our favorite hotel of the trip. Great location - about 1/2 mile from Forbidden City and Tiannamen Square. Close to the Hutongs. The Summer Palace was far, but still not too bad.

In Xi'an and Beijing, we used a state sponsored official guide both of whom were recommended to me by people on this thread - thank you! The guides were great. It made moving through the city absolutely painless.

It was a fast trip. We saw just highlights of each city.

West Lake and tea farms in Hangzhou.

In Xi'an, it was the Terra Cotta Warriors and Wild Goose Temple. The old city wall. The Bell and Drum Towers. The desire to see the Terra Cotta Warriors was the driving force behind this trip. Because they are primitive, Ian just did not get my fascination with them. It took me awhile to explain but my fascination is as much about their discovery as it is about the art and history. I bought one of the tour books and had it signed by one of the farmers who made the original discovery - that was fun.

In Beijing, I thought that I would like the Forbidden City the best. And I loved it. It was developed over so many years --- and every thing looks as if it was all done at once. The newer parts were built in 1776 - amazing to me.

My favorite turned out to be the Great Wall at Mutanyu. I loved the views of the wall and from the walll. I even felt that the small stalls on the way up to the wall really enhanced the experience.

In a restaurant really close to the wall, Ian ate donkey. I wasn't willing to try it. He said it tasted like meat.

We saw the Summer Palace - prettier location than Forbidden City and much more accessible. It was fun to walk through the park there and look at the lake.

It was a great trip. I took more than 900 pictures. I will be editing them before posting to photobucket.

elaine