• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

e-trade...is it worth $49?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just did a second eplus retrade and I was thinking that I may add this to every exchange from now on. I have been able to move up in unit size and change locations. It has worked perfectly for us.

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a trade for FSA in CA for Sept 11-18, 2015 but using our deposited week from 2014 (a three bedroom house! in MN). II has me in a Studio w/ Kitchenette. It is just the two of us - but it would be nice to have a true one bedroom w/separate Kitchen.
Are you suggesting that if I buy e-trade they may offer me a true 1 bdrm?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a trade for FSA in CA for Sept 11-18, 2015 but using our deposited week from 2014 (a three bedroom house! in MN). II has me in a Studio w/ Kitchenette. It is just the two of us - but it would be nice to have a true one bedroom w/separate Kitchen.

I add E-Plus to every single eligible exchange. They will not offer you an upgrade. You will have to browse available inventory on your own. You can do this without E-Plus, but if you re-trade you would pay another full exchange fee where E-Plus would provide you with 3 free re-trades.

I consider E-Plus not only flexibility but also a type of insurance. It enables you to upgrade unit type or change plans entirely and fetch something else.

E-Trade also allows you to possibly use an AC that would otherwise go unused. If you have an AC that drops the grid closer to check-in you can keep an eye out for another unit. If something pops up you can use the re-trades for something else. It's obviously not without restriction but if you travel alot it can work out pretty well.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

They would not have matched your unit to a studio if you had set a minimum unit size on your on going search.

I would decline the trade, and put a minimum unit size on your ongoing search to get a 1 or 2 br unit. Be aware that a match to a larger unit may not happen until you are much closer to check-in. You have to decide how bad you want to stay at FSA.

Are you limited to a specific timeframe? Oct - mid-December usually has quite a bit of availability.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

FSA is arguably one of the nicest timeshare resorts in the country. A studio there for any unit in Minnesota is a good trade. That being said purchase Eplus and keep checking inventory. You might get lucky, especially last minute. Worst case youre out $49.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment to add eplus to all exchanges. I have 3 outstanding confirmations. The first one was done when eplus first came out and does not have eplus on it. I have upgraded from a 1BR to a 2BR, and paid the full $174 exchange fee for the second time. The second and third ones have eplus on them. I just switched the second one from a second tier resort to a first tier one, without paying anything. But it's a studio, and I intend to use the 2 remaining epluses to upgrade in size.

It also has the accidental benefit of adding a year's life to the expiration date of the week, as the eplus life is one year beyond the check-in date of the first exchange.

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also has the accidental benefit of adding a year's life to the expiration date of the week, as the eplus life is one year beyond the check-in date of the first exchange.[/QUOTE]

That's a good reason to get e-plus. Didn't know that! But if I understand the other posts...if I give up my FSA in Sept for some reason and invoke the e-trade I can then only choose something within the 59 day window? Is that correct? I can't request something 4-5 or 6 months out?

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
gmarine - I have to agree. And truthfully, I just want to visit CA. With just two people a studio should be fine.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have set criteria for myself whether or not to add e-trade plus.

If my vacation will be in a high inventory area (example Orlando) and my initial exchange will be ok...but I would like better - maybe different unit size or resort. Then I purchase it. Another factor is if I have purchased air yet. If not and it would be helpful to move around dates a bit due to air cost.

If my vacation match is perfect for what I am looking for and in a low inventory area (example, Boston) then I don't purchase. Because I know nothing better will probably come along.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a good reason to get e-plus. Didn't know that! But if I understand the other posts...if I give up my FSA in Sept for some reason and invoke the e-trade I can then only choose something within the 59 day window? Is that correct? I can't request something 4-5 or 6 months out?

Once inside 60 days you have to use a "hop" strategy. This entails making multiple E-Plus retrades in order to hit an exchange further out. The E-Plus flex restriction is different in that it is always 59 days out from the confirmed exchange. For example if you are 58 days out from check-in, you can then retrade for something just short of 4 months out, then another retrade for 6 months out, then 8 months for the final retrade.

What I really want to know is if you are still "flex" restricted after the final retrade in the scenario above which would be approximately 8 months from the current day. When you complete all your retrades the exchange returns to normal in your history, so you can still make snother full price retrade, but is it restricted? Can you cancel all together and get a non-restricted replacement week?

This also begs the question of what is the expiration if one used E-Plus to extend beyond the original deposit expiration? When you exhaust your retrades the expiration returns to the original which would be in the past. My guess is that the deposit is then "expired" and can no longer be used, but of course you still have that last exchange.

Still unanswered E-Plus questions...:ponder:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
E trade? E Trade Plus? Is there an E Trade minus?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't "exchange" at all and don't plan to begin doing so. To me, "e trade" is actually an Internet based stock trading tool.

Just the same, what exactly is "E trade" and "E Plus" when referenced here on Planet Timeshare?
Who issues it? Is it something limited / applicable only to certain specific exchange companies, "chains" --- or something else?

Inquiring (non-exchanging) minds want to know. :shrug:

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't "exchange" at all and don't plan to begin doing so. To me, "e trade" is actually an Internet stock trading tool.

Just the same, what exactly is "E trade" and "E Plus" here on Planet Timeshare?
Who issues it? Is it something limited / applicable only to certain specific exchange companies, "chains" --- or some other limitation?

Inquiring (non-exchanging) minds want to know. :shrug:

Its an Interval International product. It is $49 paid either at the time an OGS is initiated up to 5 days after a match is confirmed, either through the OGS or a manual search and confirmation. Once added it allows up to 3 retrades to a different unit that can be up to a year after the check in date of the original confirmation. As long as your retrades are outside of 60 days they don't have any additional restrictions. If you cancel a confirmed exchange inside of 60 days and up to the day before check in, you can still retrade without any additional fees but there are additional restrictions on the time frame for the new exchanges.

This is II's short blurb.
E-Plus
With E-Plus, you can retrade up to three times for a low one-time fee. Change destinations, resorts, or travel dates — until 24 hours before check-in.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its an Interval International product. It is $49 paid either at the time an OGS is initiated up to 5 days after a match is confirmed, either through the OGS or a manual search and confirmation. Once added it allows up to 3 retrades to a different unit that can be up to a year after the check in date of the original confirmation. As long as your retrades are outside of 60 days they don't have any additional restrictions. If you cancel a confirmed exchange inside of 60 days and up to the day before check in, you can still retrade without any additional fees but there are additional restrictions on the time frame for the new exchanges.

Thanks for the explanation --- much appreciated. Frankly, I'm glad that we don't play the exchange game at all anymore. Different "levels" of membership with different levels of "access", changing rules and changing fees, limited (or disappearing) inventory, etc. I have to tip my cap to those of you with the patience, focus and resolve to persevere in what increasingly seems to me like something of a "no win" proposition. :shrug:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation --- much appreciated. Frankly, I'm glad that we don't play the exchange game at all anymore. Different "levels" of membership with different levels of "access", changing rules and changing fees, limited (or disappearing) inventory, etc. I have to tip my cap to those of you with the patience, focus and resolve to persevere in what increasingly seems to me like something of a "no win" proposition. :shrug:

There is definitely "win" involved but it is not without work.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is definitely "win" involved but it is not without work.

I have only used it once, but it was worth it. And yes, it did involve work on my part like checking about 10x's a day. Still glad I got it.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have set criteria for myself whether or not to add e-trade plus.

If my vacation will be in a high inventory area (example Orlando) and my initial exchange will be ok...but I would like better - maybe different unit size or resort. Then I purchase it. Another factor is if I have purchased air yet. If not and it would be helpful to move around dates a bit due to air cost.

If my vacation match is perfect for what I am looking for and in a low inventory area (example, Boston) then I don't purchase. Because I know nothing better will probably come along.

What about if you have to cancel altogether? With eplus, you can retrade for free by parking it someplace, then get to retrade 2 more times for free. It's better than the $66 insurance that II has, and much better than the $174 full retrade that you would have to do with a replacement week sans eplus.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also has the accidental benefit of adding a year's life to the expiration date of the week, as the eplus life is one year beyond the check-in date of the first exchange.

The 59 day window is only if you retrade within 59 days of check-in. If you decide to retrade outside of 59 days, you can book something many months out, up to one year beyond the check-in of your FSA exchange. So don't wait until within 59 days of check-in. This is true with or without eplus.

But you CAN'T REQUEST - you can't put an ongoing search on a week that you have in a confirmed exchange. You will have to look on line yourself for instant exchanges.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about if you have to cancel altogether? With eplus, you can retrade for free by parking it someplace, then get to retrade 2 more times for free. It's better than the $66 insurance that II has, and much better than the $174 full retrade that you would have to do with a replacement week sans eplus.

/\
This x2

I recently E-Plus retraded for something 24 months out. That deposit is parked for a good while until I need it. I generally liked to make the initial exchange for something 24 months out so I have a 36 month E-Plus expiration and then make the first E-Plus retrade for the desired exchange. Lately I am backing off this strategy to save an Eplus exchange.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 59 day window is only if you retrade within 59 days of check-in. If you decide to retrade outside of 59 days, you can book something many months out, up to one year beyond the check-in of your FSA exchange. So don't wait until within 59 days of check-in. This is true with or without eplus.

But you CAN'T REQUEST - you can't put an ongoing search on a week that you have in a confirmed exchange. You will have to look on line yourself for instant exchanges.

But even within 60 days it's still way better than without E-Plus. It's not the same. Without E-Plus you are restricted to 59 days from the current day. With E-Plus you are restricted to 59 days from check-in, which amounts to an extra 60 days when you are right at 59 days from check-in. Then 59 days from each subsequent check-in on the retrades. You can hop forward up to an extra 6 months vs no E-Plus. This is much less restricted than a standard retrade all without having to pay the full exchange fee.

You can always place an OGS on a replacement week so that options remains either way.

Last edited:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
But even within 60 days it's still way better than without E-Plus. It's not the same. Without E-Plus you are restricted to 59 days from the current day. With E-Plus you are restricted to 59 days from check-in, which amounts to an extra 60 days when you are right at 59 days from check-in. Then 59 days from each subsequent check-in on the retrades. You can hop forward up to an extra 6 months vs no E-Plus. This is much less restricted than a standard retrade all without having to pay the full exchange fee.

You can always place an OGS on a replacement week so that options remains either way.

If I eplus retrade at 40 days from check-in, do I get 59 + 40 days? And 59 with each subsequent retrade?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I eplus retrade at 40 days from check-in, do I get 59 + 40 days? And 59 with each subsequent retrade?

YES!

From the current day that is. So if you were 40 days from today to check-in you would get 99 days from today. Then you would get a max of 99+59+59=217 days from today after the last re-trade.

Sometimes 59 is actually 60, but it's not consistent. Today it might be 59, or 29, or 13, depending on your particular type of restriction. Tomorrow it might be 60, 30, and 14. I haven't figured it out but it might have to do with the days in the month and the cross over. Not sure what the programmer was thinking but they made it more difficult than it needed to be.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm sure at some point in my life I will have to cancel a TS exchange, but in all the years we have been traveling I haven't done it once yet. If it ever comes up that I have to cancel a trip, then I will bite the bullet and just retrade with the full fee.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you initiate a new ongoing search with a e-plus week?

No. But you can initiate one with a different new week. When it matches, within the 24 hour period, call to switch.

Or, keep looking on line, and when you see a week that you want, activate the eplus retrade.