• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Hate Banks

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our small state bank has just been taken over by BB&T Bank. All changes to take affect starting Oct. 15th. They will be issuing new Debit Check Cards and Checking Account Numbers. Then we will need to order new checks. This is a royal pain in the A..... Especially since we leave for 3 weeks in Hawaii on Oct. 28th. The timing really sucks. This means I have to change all Bill Pay Accounts and Direct Deposits. I tried to contact them by phone and email. All I got was non answer, we will be receiving letters in mail as changes occur. :mad: This doesn't help me in Hawaii where I won't be receiving letters in the mail. I hate Banks!:wall:

Sorry for the rant. But this is really frustrating that no one seems to know anything at either bank.

Suzanne

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Banker's Trust = Oxymoron.

I have to change all Bill Pay Accounts and Direct Deposits.
When our regional bank got gobbled up by another, larger regional bank, the new bank transferred over all the internet bill payer stuff from the old bank's (defunct) web site to the new bank's active web site. They also took care of direct deposit arrangements automatically. All we had to get used to was navigating the new bank's billpayer web site, which took some getting used to. Since then, everything has been OK -- except that the new bank has really annoying & off-putting TV commercials. (Fortunately, I don't watch TV all that much.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm so glad we bank at a credit union. :D

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Beat them to the punch. Switch over to Ally Bank. You probably have the time to do all of that including your direct deposits before you go to Hawaii if you act now. They will send you new checks whenever you need them, free of charge. Your ATM card with them is good at every bank I've ever used it at. They refund the fees the banks charge for the ATM at the end of each statement period. Plus they pay really good interest on savings.

Ally is one of the highest rated banks around. They have 24/7 live help, based in the US, and there is rarely more than a minute or two wait for it.

Fern

geekette

Reaction score
Make a pre-emptive strike and move on while it is convenient to do so. It was nice that they gave you notice now that it would happen in October, but there is no reason for you to wait to make your finances easier to manage.

If you like your bank and want to stay with them, they should try to make you happy. See if that seems like what they will do. They could make the decision to ditch them very easy.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Just don't let any Maint Fee fall delinquent by accident...Holy Crap! that's a hard issue to fix if you let it fester too long...

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This stuff all started when Congress took away the majority of the Debit Card fees the Banks earned. To offset the lost income Banks began an all out effort to generate fee income by other means. The secret is to stay a step ahead of them.

George

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
our bank was taken over by BBand T We could use our old cheecks for almost a year. the same staff ws still there. i usually get good service when i call them.

geekette

Reaction score
This stuff all started when Congress took away the majority of the Debit Card fees the Banks earned. To offset the lost income Banks began an all out effort to generate fee income by other means. The secret is to stay a step ahead of them.

George

the money grab began long before that, imo. I remember being appalled when "fee for teller" came out (not at my bank, but still, appalling).

But, yes, since the change, it has gotten much worse. There remain plenty of options and CU is an excellent place to start.

I have a local bank , local cu and online banking so I have a lot of choices on fees, online tools and products. The local bank has changed a couple times, but same great people that greet me by name, and no appalling money grabs (or I've been able to sidestep them by moving that item elsewhere). no fee checking, don't buy checks anymore. why ditch fee-less?

I'll eventually ditch local bank but is very convenient right now (esp ATM) and has better hours for the free notary, medallion guarantees and drivethrough. They have not given me a reason in 2 takeovers to bail. Maybe 3 is the charm.

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Our bank was taken over

4 times. Never a real big deal during the transformation. We just had to get used to the new online banking screens. I'm still using checks from the original bank. Don't sweat the small stuff.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You should be fine.

When your bank is absorbed, your old checks should still be good to be used for 12 to 18 months. BB&T doesn't really want to pay to give everyone new checks. Also if you have direct deposits or direct debits setup with your employer or other companies. These will be fine also, probably for years. If someone tries to debit or pay to your old routing and account number, the system is mapped to point to the new routing and account number. Our bank was taken over about four or five years ago and I just updated one of our bills direct debit information to have the new account and routing numbers. They have been debiting their money for years with no issue.

Any payees you have setup in your current online banking system should be mapped over. If not, you just add them back once you get access to BB&Ts online website.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Son, Daughter and I have kept our Bank of America accounts open because of their convenience. First, is the ability to easily transfer money between the accounts on their website. I am the link as I am a joint owner on all the accounts. Second, is their extensive ATM network which is great when we travel. Third, the account is 100% free (including the ability to write checks) with no minimum balance requirement as long as we don't use a teller and go "paperless" for statements, etc. You can now deposit both cash and checks without an envelope at their ATMs.

George

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My Son, Daughter and I have kept our Bank of America accounts open because of their convenience. First, is the ability to easily transfer money between the accounts on their website. I am the link as I am a joint owner on all the accounts. Second, is their extensive ATM network which is great when we travel. Third, the account is 100% free (including the ability to write checks) with no minimum balance requirement as long as we don't use a teller and go "paperless" for statements, etc. You can now deposit both cash and checks without an envelope at their ATMs.

George

Gee, I get all of that with my credit union. :D

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is the no cost (for account holders) all over the country ATM network of Bank of America that seals the deal with us.

George

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your support. DH said we should wait and see what happens, that maybe we might like them. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Suzanne

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Hmm, let's see - Merchant National Bank of Allentown - Fidelity - First Fidelity - First Union - Wachovia - Wells Fargo. Not only were my accounts there but my job was also!