• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Weeks to offer value transparency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will printing out copies of all my exchange confirmations before then. They've lost them before (although they always come back) but this is a really big overhaul. Considering their weekly maintenance often causes problems, it could be quite a while before their site actually works properly.

crazyhorse

Reaction score
:ignore:

Owners requesting RCI deposits between November 9 and December 15, 2010 may experience a temporary processing delay until mid-December 2010 as the final blended Trading Power is calculated by RCI.

why?

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score

Owners requesting RCI deposits between November 9 and December 15, 2010 may experience a temporary processing delay until mid-December 2010 as the final blended Trading Power is calculated by RCI.

why?

So what does this mean for those with Wyndham pts. that expire the end of Dec. 2010?? If this says "temporary processing delay until mid-December" who's to say it may not be longer. If I deposit my pts. into RCI now, I assume that they will be assigned a value and that I'll be able to see it. Does this sound correct?

Mark

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score

why?

Multiple choice:

1. There is a lot of number crunching to be done and a 286 simply is not that fast.

2. They are low on the food used to feed the gerbils that power the computers that do the calculations.

3. Computer? What's a computer? An abacus isn't dependent on the grid.

itisme

TUG Member
Reaction score
More money grab!

The ability to combine multiple deposits from multiple RCI affiliated resorts and use years into a combined Deposit for a fee

They will charge a fee for combining multiple deposits. Changes designed for prime week owners to trade down than dog week owners to combine and exchange into a prime week.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You can let it go if you want

They will charge a fee for combining multiple deposits. Changes designed for prime week owners to trade down than dog week owners to combine and exchange into a prime week.

One of the features of the RCI Points system is the ability to combine points at no cost. It makes sense that a non-points system, that is limited to 7 day stays, would have fees such as one to combine points that a Points member wouldn't pay. It is a new feature not previously available.

Remember you don't HAVE to do anything with the credits and just let them go to waste as they have for over 3 decades. No charge to do that.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
After November 15th, the calculation of the Trading Power for any future weeks you deposited with RCI will be determined by RCI based on:

the demand, supply, and utilization of your Vacation Time, and the Affiliated Resort and geographic region associated with your Vacation Time;
the seasonal designation of your Vacation Time;
the size and type of your unit (i.e., number of bedrooms, kitchen type and maximum/private occupancy of the physical unit);
comment card scores that RCI compiles from comments submitted by Members who visit your Affiliated Resort;
the Average Deposit Trading Power of all the intervals in the reservation season you purchased from your home resort, combined with how far in advance each week was pre-deposited with RCI on your behalfOwners requesting RCI deposits between November 9 and December 15, 2010 may experience a temporary processing delay until mid-December 2010 as the final blended Trading Power is calculated by RCI. Be assured that all requests will be honored in the order received, and you will receive an electronic confirmation once your transaction has been processed.
The Trading Power of available Deposits in your RCI account prior to November 15, 2010 will be based on the date of Deposit and the start date of the Deposited Vacation Time for the week that was transferred into your RCI Membership Account by Owner Services.

There will be no changes to how you request an exchange with RCI. You will continue to contact Owner Services and we will be happy to provide a deposit to RCI on your behalf.
Obviously, this is regarding ownership as a floating week resort - otherwise there would be no need to consider "average trading power" of weeks within your season. From what I'm seeing, it sounds like floating week owners, at least at this resort, will all have the same trade power. If you weren't able to reserve a week to be deposited, but had to let management choose for you, this will probably mean little difference.

I hope we will hear from owners of other types of resorts, particularly those with floating weeks where they are allowed to reserve and then deposit a peak week of their own choosing.

It seems to me that the system described above is OK for the average timeshare owner - it won't matter if you call at the last minute ro have the resort desposit for you, as I suspect many owners do. But it also means management may be more likely to deposit the less desired week to RCI, leaving the better weeks for owners to use. That will obviously result in lower trade power for those who exchange, but is probably no different than what has happened in the past.

It further sounds like existing deposits will be individually evaluated, based on use-week, rather than an average

It also sounds like maybe that period between Nov 9 and Dec 12 might not be so much an issue with RCI valuing the deposits, but the resort coming to an agreement with RCI about what is to be deposited and how to calculate the average (Perhaps an average value of all deposits made Nov 9 through Dec 15, to be assigned to each of those deposits.

Has anyone else heard from their home resorts?

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
- close date discounts will still be there, in fact you will be able to snatch and grab last minute, ie you use a 20 and book a 20 even trade, get the insurance, 2 weeks from check in same unit is available for 10 cancel what you have re book and you end up with a 10 credit no extra cost.......
This is just as we were speculating. It could add some real value to the Insurance, though would be fees to combine the leftover credits with something else. Of course, you might avoid those fees by finding another exchange for 10 credits.

In essence, you still have your original exchange, plus an extra last minute reservation for the cost of another exchange fee plus the incurance cost.
- Putting 2 weeks together, 1 week and a credit, 2 credits etc all will have a fee last I heard 79.00 RCI is in it for the bucks.

- When you add to a week, either 2 banks or a credit and a bank etc the new week will be good for 2 years from that dates month end. So if you have 2 weeks that are about to expire put them together and the new week is good for 2 more years........I wonder if they thought of this no more extending deposits......
That could have considerable implications, both on extending deposits, and on deposit of lockoff units.

Still not bad in the scheme of things. If I combine two deposits with $300 MFs that get a trading power of 30, that gives me a true tiger (60) for just $679. Add a $179 exchange fee, and for $858 I would be able to exchange into units with MFs of $2000-$2500 or more. (That's assuming you can find a 30 TP for $300 MF or less, which I think is possible with some lockoffs.)

Consider the opposite, along with Daves last comment. A couple of examples:

You have a deposit worth 45 credits, and don't see the exchange you want. If the lowest band is in fact 5 credits, you could make one last minute reservation and extend the life of your remaining 40 credits another 2 years, just before they expire.

Also, it sounds like using the leftover credits on their own won't cost more than the exchange fee - it is combining credits that costs. If The parts of a lockoff in fact add up to the same value as the whole unit, the it would make sense to deposit as a whole unit. That would allow the points to be "split" whatever way the member wants (rather than split 20/25 as individual units, you could use them as 15/30 if you so chose). If you deposit as a Whole unit, you use what you want on your first exchance, and the rest on a second exchange (with the added benefit of possibly extending the life of that credit).

If you deposit your lockoff as 2 distinct units, you are stuck with the credit values RCI assigns. If you want to exchange into a 30, you have to pay the fee to combine your credits before you even exchange, and are still left with a 15 credit deposit. If you start with a 15 credit exchange, you are left either with a 25 credit deposit and 5 leftover credits, or 20 and 10, which will either be used separately, or you have to pay to combine them. Perhaps this will encourage more deposits of full units, which would increase the availability of some higher valued exchanges.

If the split deposits end up worth more than the whole unit, owners would have to decide which is of more benefit - avoiding the $79 fee, or having an extra few credits. Maybe we'll know more once the system is up and running.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They've said that trading power isn't changing. In the past (and also in RCI Points), the two sides of a lockout are worth more than the whole. I would expect that to continue with the new RCI Weeks. For instance, with my Palace View 3BR lockouts, they have PFD values of 39.5k and 52.5k (92k total) when split, but just 68k as a single deposit.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They've said that trading power isn't changing. In the past (and also in RCI Points), the two sides of a lockout are worth more than the whole. I would expect that to continue with the new RCI Weeks. For instance, with my Palace View 3BR lockouts, they have PFD values of 39.5k and 52.5k (92k total) when split, but just 68k as a single deposit.
Are you talking about with PDF? Every case I have seen within points, the splits add up to the same as depositing the unit as a whole.

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an email I got this morning from my HOA on the RCI Weeks... it looks like the official date will be November 15th.

"Dear Valued Owner,

RCI, LLC (RCI) recently announced to Resort affiliates that on November 15, 2010 changes will be implemented to the RCI® Weeks* program. You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are currently or were previously a member of RCI. If you are no longer a member of RCI you may disregard this message.

The changes to the RCI Weeks program include:

The disclosure of the numeric Deposit Trading Power of all available deposited weeks in your member accountThe disclosure of the numeric Exchange Trading Power required to confirm an available exchange week
Peggy

I own 12 weeks and some are dual affiliated with RCI and II. I rent out about 6-8 weeks per year and have only deposited 2 of my weeks with RCI this past year and have none currently deposited.

Does this mean that I can only find out how many credits I will get, only after my week is deposited or can I call RCI and find out what my resort week will be worth before I make a deposit??????:shrug: :crash:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Are you talking about with PDF? Every case I have seen within points, the splits add up to the same as depositing the unit as a whole."

Actually, it's PFD (Points For Deposit). But, yes. That's what I'm talking about. In the generic grids (http://www.rci.com/GPN/CDA/Common/pdf/RCI_ExGridsUpdate1.pdf), I can't find any example where a split lockout isn't worth more than the lockout as a whole.

Last edited:

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the generic grids, RCI never assigned a specific set of values for individual resorts - that's why they called them generic grids. This is only because they give a general value for all 1BR units in a given area (with similar award status), no matter how big or small.

I suspect we will see something more like points, where they add up to the same thing. Under the current system, people often have deposited as 2 units because they felt the single unit didn't give them enough of an advantage, but we have never know whether it was really worth more as 2 units or not.

I realize RCI is in this to make money, and they would collect more exchange fees with 2 deposits and would collect extra if you combine your units after the fact, but if they make the individual parts worth more than the unit as a whole, they may run into a problem - you deposit your 2 sides, and then turn around an pay $79 (the fee David posted) to instantly combine your point. For that extra fee you get an automatic boost in points.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have to see what changes there are to the 45 day window. While that is not a critical thing for me, as I have used it maybe once, it is for a great many, probably most, of those who own off season weeks to exchange. Keeping those weeks viable matters to all of us because if they bail out, it throws our resort finances into a tail spin and hits us with higher m/f's. So even if we personally do not use the 45 day window, it matters to all of us that RCI not screw it up. What is important is that any owner of an RCI timeshare have access to all inventory in the 45 day window. Clearly RCI has already restricted this, directly or indirectly, to some extent over what it used to be in the pre-Cendent days when RCI actually cared about members and resort affiliates. Further restriction will cause further damage. Making public the restrictions they have already imposed will also do damage.

- Group priorities will still work

- You will NOT be able to do PFD on credits

- close date discounts will still be there, in fact you will be able to snatch and grab last minute, ie you use a 20 and book a 20 even trade, get the insurance, 2 weeks from check in same unit is available for 10 cancel what you have re book and you end up with a 10 credit no extra cost.......

- Putting 2 weeks together, 1 week and a credit, 2 credits etc all will have a fee last I heard 79.00 RCI is in it for the bucks.

- When you add to a week, either 2 banks or a credit and a bank etc the new week will be good for 2 years from that dates month end. So if you have 2 weeks that are about to expire put them together and the new week is good for 2 more years........I wonder if they thought of this no more extending deposits......

That's all I can remember from my last conversation with my friend......

Dave

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best solution? Extract yourself from the RCI shell game and use II or the independent exchange companies.

I would expect a fee to combine too.. why wouldn't they charge a fee? they are providing a srevice and a service costs. Right or wrong that's how businesses generally work.

Where I see a slippery slope is that once I do an non-exact exchange, either up or down, I have leftover credits. More than likely I'll have to pay a combo fee to be able to use the leftovers. I make an exchange and once again have leftovers. Now there's another combo fee to be faced.. and it keeps going on like that. It'll be tricky to find a 2nd or 3rd or whatever exchange down the road that will get me back to even (no leftovers).

If I do 3 exchanges and have 3 leftovers and want to combine them to be able to make an exchange will I pay 2 combo fees or just one as I am doing the combo all at once? I know the answer is not available yet, but I think it's going to be a real question people have.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

why?

That sure sounds like a change in trading power to me!

miamidan

Reaction score
sounds like that resort has chosen to give all owners an average value of the floating season they sold or manage and are not allowing the trading power of unique intervals. sounds like half will win and half will lose.

miamidan

Reaction score
Carol,

your points are fascinating and extremely redundant. I thought there was a time whether it was 30 or 45 days that all inventory would be reduced by at least 50% in trading power required

miamidan

Reaction score
Best solution? Extract yourself from the RCI shell game and use II or the independent exchange companies.

Carol,

I have attempted to use the II exchange system and found their unit type quotient very restrictive and not much inventory. Whenever I look at my DAE inventory list there is nothing there

I certainly don't know what value my week has with them or with sfx or what other weeks cost. Can you please explain the valuation methodology they use and their virtues and how they can fulfill the mass of requests that we need to make our exchanges work?

The competition is great as it encourages change and growth of services. I am not aware of the great clarity and more importantly how they openly value the inventory.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The start date of the changes sounds correct. Yesterday I had a discussion with an RCI internet rep and he mentioned changes to the system would be coming in 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

why?

So what does this mean for those with Wyndham pts. that expire the end of Dec. 2010?? If this says "temporary processing delay until mid-December" who's to say it may not be longer. If I deposit my pts. into RCI now, I assume that they will be assigned a value and that I'll be able to see it. Does this sound correct?

Mark

The OP posted an email from "SVO" Starwood. Blended Trade Power is specific to that program

Starwood no longer allows OWNERS to deposit their reserved weeks with II and RCI.

Rather then getting the wonderful trading power of a July 4th Myrtle Beach week at Sheraton Broadway Plantation - you now get a "blended deposit" of weeks 9-43. Same with Starwood II deposits :(

So with II - using their 50-150 demand index, weeks 27-30 have a 150 demand....week 9 has 95 - so you can imagine how 'wonderful' the blended trade power really is :rolleyes:

Just an FYI

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have to see what changes there are to the 45 day window. While that is not a critical thing for me, as I have used it maybe once, it is for a great many, probably most, of those who own off season weeks to exchange. Keeping those weeks viable matters to all of us because if they bail out, it throws our resort finances into a tail spin and hits us with higher m/f's.
It is also very important for RCI. It does them absolutely no good to let units go unused. Last minute exchanges earn them an exchange fee and remove liability. While it's certainly possible that something will change in this area, I certainly don't expect it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If I combine my summer weeks, now an exchange costs more maintenance fees for me (bottomline), and now a charge to combine the weeks? I already know that RCI will never get my summer CO weeks again. :rolleyes:RCI charges $179 already for an exchange fee, while II charges only $139. Too bad II won't take our CO summer weeks, but they won't take a resort with only six units, especially a resort that is 25+ years old.

Last edited:

Dave599

Reaction score
Incredible information, Dave! Thanks so much for getting this from your friend, and for sharing.Any idea how those will work? Right now, it looks like we get "extra trading power" for resorts in the same group. For instance, I have a 1BR deposit in resort A and a 2BR deposit in resort B. The B deposit sees 21% more units, so it has better trading value. But if I look at units within A's group, my A deposit sees almost twice as many units.

On priority resorts you will only be able to combine with same weeks/credits
to keep your priority status once you combine with a non priority resort your special status is gone.......

PFD of full weeks (that haven't been partially used or combined with other weeks/credits) will still be possible, right?

Yes as long as not combined

Are you just using 10 as an example? Won't all close in deposits be 5 (the lowest trading power)?
yes, just an example

Still not bad in the scheme of things. If I combine two deposits with $300 MFs that get a trading power of 30, that gives me a true tiger (60) for just $679. Add a $179 exchange fee, and for $858 I would be able to exchange into units with MFs of $2000-$2500 or more. (That's assuming you can find a 30 TP for $300 MF or less, which I think is possible with some lockoffs.)

Do you have any idea what the TP ranges for the 6 current bands are? 5-?, ?-?, ?-?, ?-?, ?-?, ?-60

Can you confirm whether banding will go away or not?
My feeling is bands will not exist it will be an exact number system

I've seen people mention that you will be able to see your trading power before depositing (which could really help picking a floating week), but I haven't seen that in anything official or unofficial from RCI. Any ideas if that's really going to happen?

There will be a calculator that will allow you to see banking power before you deposit based on check in date, deposit date etc as well as a calculator to show you historical trading power for a resort (whatever date/size etc) you may be looking for even if it is not banked yet, it won't be 100% accurate because it will be based on historical data but it should be close.

Please note: the 79.00 to combine I mentioned may not be 100% accurate there will be a fee it could be 69 or 99 or 109 it was my friends best guess on internal rumors I don't think she has be "officially" told yet.

On lockoffs I believe banking as 2 units will give you more "credits" in total then banking as 1 unit what the difference will be I don't know. I would not expect it to be an extreme difference maybe 5 0r 10

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are 4 new stickies at the top of the forum for you to post in, to keep this info. organized.

I am just trying to make it more accessible, not be a big meanie. :D

I will transfer posts to the new stickies, upon request. Send me a pm with a link to the specific post - so I don't have to go searching for it.

Thanks for your help! :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.