• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

David's Vacation Club Raises Prices

DisneyDenis

Reaction score
Post by David on another forum. I like this a lot because I do rent off and on. It raises the price I could charge for my BWV at 11 months ... :whoopie:

For the past few years there has been a large demand for reservations at several select resorts.

While members who own at these select resorts are interested in the rental of their points they have been requesting increased compensation to rent their ownership during the Home Resort booking windows, also known as the 7 to 11 month window. In order to continue to meet our guests requests for reservations, David’s Vacation Club Rentals has introduced a "Home Resort Booking Premium" on these selected resorts:

Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Beach Club Villas
Disney's Boardwalk Villas
The Villas AT Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Hotel
The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
Disney's Aulani Resort and Spa

A "Home Resort Booking Premium" of $2.00 per point will be added to any reservation that is secured more than 7 months in advance of the arrival date at the noted resorts. The additional $2.00 per point will be passed directly to the booking member.

There is NO "Home Resort Booking Premium" for any resort where the reservation is secured less than 7 months in advance of the arrival date.

David’s Vacation Club Rentals remains the leader in the Disney Vacation Club rental market and is excited to continue to pass along the savings to our guests while offering a fair market value for member's points. While member’s cost of ownership have continued to escalate every year, this is only the second time since 2005 that we have increased compensation to the members.

David Mullett
David’s Vacation Club Rental

Last edited by a moderator:

dundey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
I received an email from the DVC Rental Store yesterday and they are basically doing the same thing - raising their rental price to sellers to $13 / pt for select resorts in the 7 - 11 month window.

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a request in with this company for a studio at Aulani next August. But so far I am on a waiting list :( I have agreed to pay the extra $2 a point if booked before the 7 month period. I just want the security of knowing that I have a place to stay for a couple of nights...and I don't want to pay the ridiculous price of Disney!

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we are staying at an Oahu Wyndham timeshare, doing a cruise, staying on the Big Island, as well as staying at the Hilton in Oahu. Even though I will be paying more money per point, it is still far cheaper than getting a room through Disney direct. This is one of those places that is on our bucket list. I guess the point is: are there people that are willing to pay extra for a reservation before the 7th month mark? and are there owners that will rent out to get that extra $$ for the 7-10month mark. I'm not sure, as I am currently on a waiting list.

Last edited:

dundey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
There are definitely owners that do this. I am one having recently rented some excess Bay Lake Towers points for $13 / pt.

For people that have a lot of points (not in this category, just had some extra this year!) the economics can work since they are more then doubling their maint. fee costs when renting points.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still renting my DVC points thru David ... have never used those bad boys. But he is not offering the "Bonus" on AKV points --- as far as I am aware.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Yes, we are staying at an Oahu Wyndham timeshare, doing a cruise, staying on the Big Island, as well as staying at the Hilton in Oahu. Even though I will be paying more money per point, it is still far cheaper than getting a room through Disney direct. This is one of those places that is on our bucket list. I guess the point is: are there people that are willing to pay extra for a reservation before the 7th month mark? and are there owners that will rent out to get that extra $$ for the 7-10month mark. I'm not sure, as I am currently on a waiting list.
A couple alternatives to consider:

1. RCI exchange -- there have been a few sightings a month on the Sightings board, & probably an equal number of OGS matches. Some of these occur last minute (within a month of the reservation), so one approach would be to book a refundable reservation direct with Disney then put in an OGS and manually search all the way up to the date of the reservation, and cancel the refundable reservation if you find a match. Exchanges tend to get snapped up immediately then show back up around 1AM Eastern the next day when holds expire, which is a good time to check.
  2. Rent directly from owners (on TUG, eBay, etc.) -- Avoid the middle man and rent for $12-$14/pt instead of $14-16/pt. Just make sure it's not an RCI rental since DVC can cancel those and you'll be out the money. See http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare_rental_verification.html for how to verify a rental is legit.
  3. If you do rent from David's/DVC Rental Store, keep in mind the only Aulani units that sell out @ 7 mos are Standard view (Hotel, Studio, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom) units. Anything else should be available inside 7 mos, when point rental is $2 cheaper and any resort points can be used, so availability of points shouldn't be an issue. The savings between a Standard and Island view is about a wash with the $2 premium (except for Hotel rooms), so not worth paying the premium.

Cdn Gal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. :) we only need the unit for 2 nights and a hotel room at that :)

blondietink

Reaction score
I have rented out my SSR points through David before and I now have a few left over that I cannot use before my use year is up so I will use him again.

For those of you looking at Aulani, they have some pretty good incentives out there for paying cash for rooms, such as stay 3 nights get the 4th free with $100 per day room credit to use at the resort.

Having been to Aulani for a one week stay using my DVC points, I will say that it was one of the best trips we have ever gone on. We were treated like kings! Same trip we went to Maui and stayed at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North and also had a fabulous time, but it was very different than the Aulani experience.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Not for the Disneyphile.
It's not just a Disney thing. It's a Fodor’s 100 Hotel Award winner & one of the top 12 “Beach Getaway” hotels worldwide, & Travel + Leisure Top Family Resort in the US. For me, Ko Olina Reort is the only place I will stay on Oahu. I avoid Waikiki like the plague-it just isn't the relaxing Hawaii experienced you get on Maui, Kauai, or Kohala coast on Big Island. Your options at Ko Olina are JW Marriott, MVC, or DVC. If you have any kids of any age, it all comes down to the pools-makes a night & day difference, & Aulani is the clear winner there. Complimentary Kids Club is also invaluable-makes a night & day difference for the parents enjoyment of their vacation. My only gripe with Aulani is the restaurants are extremely subpar relative to Hawaii 5-star resorts & restaurants (which they are priced like). Luckily Roy's is across the street & simply amazing (and much more relaxing). The buffet at Aulani is just OK & overpriced. We tried a sunset dinner & were literally attacked by flies & had to leave-worst experience in 15 years in Hawaii. I as dumbfounded they could let such an infestation occur & persist-won't be going back (to the restaurant). We'll be back to Aulani for sure (just bought a resale there to book @ 11 mos every other year).