• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eyelid Dermatitis - Dr. said to put Johnson's Baby Shampoo on it!(2009)

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a slight irritation at the outside corner of one eye around a week ago. Within a day or so both eyelids were red and somewhat itchy, I assume from my fingers :eek: . Today my family Dr. said to use a cotton swab to put Johnson's Baby Shampoo on the eyelids!

Sounds rather strange, but he showed me the section in a dermatology book. I got the shampoo and put some on tonight. It was sticky and stung a little bit. I just washed it off and checked online, finding instructions to clean the eyelids with the shampoo at night, as opposed to smearing it on like an ointment :eek: I found other sites saying it contained allergens. :eek:

Anyone familiar with this remedy? Anyone had success with it?

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just washed my eyelids with it and it worked fine. I think it was called blepharitis.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm a nurse and this is a very common treatment for pink eye.
It's better and safer than using antibiotics which really usually are not necessary.
I don't think I'd leave it on though but wash your eyes outside with Johnsons a few times a day.
You can rinse your eyes with saline solution to soothe the itching. :bawl:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this, but I thought you were supposed to mix the baby shampoo with water, then use an eye cup to rinse the eye area. Are you supposed to be putting the shampoo straight on the lids, undiluted?

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jest Joan is right, I'm sure. Blepharitis is only one of the attacks upon my eyes. I'd think the baby shampoo would be an excellent suggestion. They sell all kinds of little packets of "sterile" cleaning pads that are pretty expensive, and do the exact same thing.
Another helpful suggestion is to bathe your eyes in the morning with a wash cloth soaked in hot water. It solves a lot of problems. Jean

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of common sense here!

ok, so I'll wash/rinse, not smear, with the shampoo! Duh.

The directions he showed me in the book did say to apply a diluted solution with a cotton swab, and when I asked what dilution, he said it really didn't have to be diluted. What wasn't clear that I was to rinse it off.

I hope this works, as the problem is uncomfortable. Not awful, but definitely annoying.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My doctor told me not to dilute it . He told me to massage it on the lid, then wash it off with a warm wash cloth. It worked well.

Fern

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep.

I've done this. As others have mentioned, it's called Blepharitis. I was told I had "poor eyelid hygiene" :hysterical:

I really did have to laugh-who knew you could have poor eyelid hygiene? I mean you wash your face-your eyes are a part of your face-it all gets soap and water......

Anyway, this was all a part of some dry eyes/allergy issues I had a few years ago.

I would use a clean washcloth. Run in under warm water, apply the baby shampoo to the washcloth, and literally wash my eyelids. Honestly, it worked wonders. That, along with Refresh drops.

I haven't had any trouble in a few years. And I had horrible, watery, itchy eyes-constantly.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
"Bleph" refers to the lids, "itis" means "inflammation of."

So the word blepharitis means an inflammation of the eyelids. There are many causes of blepharitis. As you can tell, it's a very common problem.

You're reading a number of people in this thread discussing treatment of their "seborrheic blepharitis," or perhaps their "rosacea blepharitis." People with these conditions tend to have oily complexions, and their eyelid skin is oily. The bacteria on your skin just love those skins oils, and this can lead to a bacterial overgrowth (or occasionally, a true infection). The bacteria on your eyelid skin release toxins that are irritating to the eyelid skin and irritating to the eye. Cleaning of the eyelid skin using some combination of warm soaks with a facecloth, baby shampoo eyelid scrubs with a facecloth or Q-tip, or one of the OTC eyelid cleaning products (more expensive) is usually quite effective to reduce the excessive skin oil and control the inflammation. Prescription medication is occasionally necessary for flare-ups or for those with severe problems (usually that would be someone with the skin condition rosacea - rosacea patients tend to have the most severe blepharitis).

Many people with blepharitis will also have tear film problems, and those people also use an artificial tear drop.

There's a comment above that baby shampoo eyelid scrubs are a standard treatment for "pink eye." Not true.

The OP's symptoms sound like "marginal blepharitis," where the inflammation is at the outer corner (lateral canthus) of the eyelids. It's fine to try the baby shampoo lid cleaning, since it won't do any harm. It it works, you've saved yourself another visit. If it doesn't work within a week or so, or if your symptoms continue to worsen, you'll want to consult an ophthalmologist.

Eyelid dermatitis is usually a different condition. In blepharitis, the inflammation is typically on the edge of the lids, near the base of the eyelashes. Those with eyelid dermatitis have a problem affecting the skin portion of the eyelids. There are a number of causes, but many cases are allergic. I treat eyelid dermatitis quite differently than blepharitis. (And yes, I'm an ophthalmologist.)

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, to the other answers. Or you can use a product called EYE.SCRUB [lid cleanser for daily eyelid hygiene], which a doctor gave my husband for grainy morning eyelids. If the baby shampoo doesn't work, ask about this product.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually he said it was seborrheic dermatitis, I was just being "generic" with my title. It's exactly what Getaways R Us described as "marginal blepharitis".

It seems better now. Does the baby shampoo actually have anything in it that helps with the condition, or is it just a case of cleaning with something mild so that the cleaning doesn't hurt the eyes?

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Actually he said it was seborrheic dermatitis....

It seems better now. Does the baby shampoo actually have anything in it that helps with the condition, or is it just a case of cleaning with something mild so that the cleaning doesn't hurt the eyes?

It's just that you're reducing the amount of skin oil on the lids with a mild cleanser. That leaves less skin oil for your skin bacteria to enjoy. There's nothing magical about baby shampoo.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's just that you're reducing the amount of skin oil on the lids with a mild cleanser. That leaves less skin oil for your skin bacteria to enjoy. There's nothing magical about baby shampoo.

That's what I figured (after I stopped smearing it on :) ). The only thing magical, I suppose, is that it doesn't sting the eyes.

Re the skin oil, the eyelid skin feels extremely dry, not at all oily - I'm confused :confused:

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Use It All The Time for washing Eyelids

Baby shampoo is great for washing your eyelids. It prevents problems like those described above. I close my eyes, wash with baby shampoo and let Warm/hot water run over my closed eyes for a while. Fels good and prevents iritated eyelids.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still red, itchy, and dry

I've been using the baby shampoo for about four days. It does feel soothing when I wash with it and rinse, but then afterwards my eyelids are so dry that the skin is crinkly, and still red and itchy.

How long should it take before the problem goes away or I call the doctor again?

What's next, if cleaning with baby shampoo doesn't work?

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
I had eye irritation a few months ago and yep, the eye doc called it blepharitis and told me to also wash my lids with baby shampoo. I got one of those square cotton pads, wetted it and squirted some baby shampoo on it, then I gently washed them making sure to get all the junk of of my eyelashes. I had it during a bad "allergy" month...I thought they may be related.

After using the shampoo, it was gone in about a week; it has come back a few times but I just wash my eyes for a few days with the baby shampoo and it is fine.

To tell you the truth, at first, I was a bit freaked about putting the baby shampoo in my eyes but it never burned.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
I've been using the baby shampoo for about four days. It does feel soothing when I wash with it and rinse, but then afterwards my eyelids are so dry that the skin is crinkly, and still red and itchy.

How long should it take before the problem goes away or I call the doctor again?

What's next, if cleaning with baby shampoo doesn't work?

Remember that your "over the Internet" diagnosis is marginal blepharitis (and you should take that with a big grain of salt, because it's impossible to diagnose accurately over the web). That may need to be treated differently than seborrheic blepharitis. I'd still say it's reasonable to give the baby shampoo about a week or so. If you're not improving, consult an ophthalmologist - an in-person visit is a lot better than an "over the web" visit.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do ophthalmologists do eyelids, not just the eyes themselves? I would have guessed a dermatologist was next!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Do ophthalmologists do eyelids, not just the eyes themselves? I would have guessed a dermatologist was next!

Yes, the eyelid is the ophthalmologist's domain.

In my area, most dermatologists won't touch things on the lids. They send most lid things my way, even minor lumps and bumps that people want removed.

The exception is the dermatologist trained in Mohs' chemosurgery. They are extremely useful for removal of skin cancers on the lids. They then send the patient back to the ophthalmologist for lid reconstruction.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
I think the Blepharitis has popped up again but this time my eyes are red all the time. I am a contact lens wearer so I am not sure if it is a contact issue or related to Blepharitis but I am waking with red eyes and they stay red without my contacts being in. Is eye redness usually associated with Blepharitis?

Thanks

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Blepharitis has popped up again but this time my eyes are red all the time. I am a contact lens wearer so I am not sure if it is a contact issue or related to Blepharitis but I am waking with red eyes and they stay red without my contacts being in. Is eye redness usually associated with Blepharitis?

Thanks

Dunno. I would go see the eye doctor.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think I could use baby shampoo on our dog? She rubs her eye with her front leg now and again.

I think she has a scheduled vet appointment next week or the week after....

L

laurac260

Now when you walk in the room, all your friends will whisper, "look at those eyes! Why they're soft and sweet as a baby's butt!" :p

SvetlanaCuss

Reaction score
I use foderma serum for my face, especially on my eyelids where my eczema usually starts. I would highly recommend it! Plus, it's all natural!

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked my eye doc about the dry itchy feeling above and below my eyes. She said it might be slight case of excema (sp) and to put a bit of Vaseline on it. She said the it would relieve the dryness without harming my eyes. Not sure f this info helps with your situation but might not hurt to try it.

Suzanne