• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mazatlán - restaurants, advice?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We're leaving for Mazatlán this Saturday and thought I'd give you all one more chance to tell me your favorite restaurants, activities and anything else that we might need to know.

We're staying at El Cid Moro and looking forward to a week if SUN!

Deb

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume you've gone through and printed out the areas of interest-restaurants, tours, etc. at www.mazinfo.com ? Restaurants are on the locals page. Try Mr Lionso's at Playa Brujo (N. end of Cerritos busline) Our former favorite, Casa Loma, is no longer in business but the family that ran it might be somewhere else.

Plazuela Machado is always good-any of the surrounding eateries- especially at mid-day. Just a couple of blocks from the Mercado Central.

We use King David tours for airport transport and whatever tours we want to take (Tequila factory is fun and close). There are bank ATMs at the airport (before you go outside the arrivals area) to get pesos, and the restaurant there isn't bad to use on departure day.

We usually go to Maz once or twice a year, but are doing Hawaii this month. I will miss many friends there.

Drop me a line if there's anything else I can help with.

Jim Ricks

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
was just @ the el cid moro this Oct., had a wonderful time. We did the city tour, definitely recommend if you haven't done it, its a nice driving tour. We also did stone island tour, which was ok. But other than that, it was all about the beach, pool, and relaxing.

Some restaraunt recommendations:

Arre Lulu, in the golden zone, Mario will serve you, he's a great guy (there is 3 mario's, dad, son, cousin, all great)

La costa Marinera, near the hotel but towards the marina, it is overlooking the beach - great seafood, any local will vouch for this place

Panama for breakfast, we nearly went every day it was so good, and always packed

Panchos, in the golden zone (try their moonshine, it is delicious)

Sr. Peppers @ the marina, fine dining, take the free shuttle to El Cid Marina, and a few dollar ride there. This was by far the classiest restaraunt we ate at, and the cuisine was spectacular. Formal place, definitely good for special occasions.

Chilli peppers and Tony's on the beach, casual places that we walked to from the hotel. Just walk out to the beach, and go right, and after about 10 minutes it will be on the right overlooking the beach.

Shrimp Factory in golden zone, or shrimp bucket in olas altas

Los Arcos, across the street from the hotel

Carlos and Lucias, Cuban Food right by the hotel

el memin, for oysters

palapa del mar, across the street from hotel, great food, got the lobster, mahi mahi, and shrimp platter for 2

taco time - walking distance from hotel, just before golden zone and the DQ, open late, great tacos after midnight!

real michoacana ice cream , across the street from DQ, ice cream with chunks of fruit inside. many different flavors. walk there and back from the hotel for a guilt free dessert.

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It will be sunny and warm in the daytime, but you will need at least a sweater at night. Also, although shorts are worn by tourists at all hours (except in churches, of course), Mexicans do not wear them publicly. They wear cotton clothing, which is cool, and if you want to fit in, you'd wear long pants or a sun dress for dinner.

There is a good restaurant list on the Yahoo group MazInfo site in the files section. One of my favorite (inexpensive) places for breakfast is Shipwreck at Balboa Towers. You can walk out onto the beach at El Cid and head South (towards Old Town), walking along the beach wall until you get there, that is the shortest way. There are stairs back up to the restaurant.

I love El Bambú for their carne asada and beans. It is out near Sam's Club and the mall where Mega is.

My favorite thing to do in Mazatlán is to be by the beach wall at Shipwreck with a drink to watch sunset. Sunsets in Mazatlan are especially beautiful, and the drinks are 2 for 1 at that price.

Food at El Cid properties is very high, so don't plan to eat there unless you cook it yourself. Their exchange rate is poor, you'd do better at one of the Casa de Cambios.

Fern

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I didn't find the restaurants at mazinfo because I looked in the visitor's guide section and there was only one. NOW I see the bigger list in the resident's area. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

It's always fun to read other people's suggestions and favorites!

Deb

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I also recommend Playa Bruha (Beach Witch). You can ride the Cerritos bus to the end and Bruha is there. Last Drop is a great hamburger place and we also like Roy's down there.

When we were in Mazatlan in the summer, there was a massage place in the Cerritos strip center that was doing 60 minute massages fr 180 pesos. I am sure the rates are higher in the winter, but still cheaper than at the resorts. It is not fancy, but if you like to get a massage on vacation, I would recommend them.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've put a link to this thread in the sticky at the top of the Mexico forum page. If anyone else has current information about Mazatlan, please add it to this thread. :)

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I also recommend the The "Panamá Restaurant and Pasteleria" for casual dining. It has excellent food at reasonable prices. They have 3 locations in Mazatlan. We have eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the downtown location ( across from the zócalo ) and the one in la zona dorada. They are basically the same.

Last edited:

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've put a link to this thread in the sticky at the top of the Mexico forum page. If anyone else has current information about Mazatlan, please add it to this thread. :)

Thanks Karen

We are going to be at Emerald Bay for a week starting Jan 21 followed by 10 days at El Cid at the Marina.

Lynn

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
deb, I'm sure you already know. but the resort offers free one way transportation from the airport to the resort. you must contact them at least 48 hours ahead of your arrival to arrange. Then you can take a cab (an actual cab, not a pulmonia) back from the hotel to the airport for ~$300 MX which is about $24 US.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yep, I did know about the airport pickup. I think I'm all ready! It's funny how you make plans so far in advance and then suddenly the trip is here. :)

Deb

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I did know about the airport pickup. I think I'm all ready! It's funny how you make plans so far in advance and then suddenly the trip is here. :)

Deb
you will have a wonderful time. I'm sending you a pmsg regarding room reservations, a little insider info. Any future readers of this thread, feel free to msg me about it.

Reaction score
we stayed there in july and had an awesome time! avoid all time shares at all costs...we spent months after we came home trying to figure out how they opened credit cards in our names...don't do it! LOL

i recommend gingers bilingual horses, it's $30 a person for an hour long ride on the beach. just take the bus to Mr Lionso's at Playa Brujo (N. end of Cerritos busline) we got there early found some beautiful sea shells for our kids at the beach there, then ate at Mr. Loinso's very yummy carne asada then met Ginger there to ride the horses.

I can't remember the name of my favorite restaurant, it's on the opposite side of the street from el cid el moro about a mile 1/2 north, it has a tall stair way of beige colored rocks, so you eat on the 2nd floor, anyone know the name? it was really really good.

another day we walked north again but stayed on the same side as el cid and about a mile down several gentlemen were handing out flyers and coupons to get us to eat at their restaurant, we took one up on their offer and he showed us down this alley/street and i started wondering if we made the wrong decision when i realized we were walking closer to the water, and there was a restaurant right there on the beach. there was a marachi (spelling??) band and they seated us right there closest to balcony view of the water, it was sun set and so beautiful. someone was selling flowers thru the outside wall of the restaurant, my husband bought me one :) it was a wonderful evening with great food and entertainment. we did take a pulminia back because we were so full, it was only about 30 peso's to get back to el cid moro so it wasn't that far away. sorry i don't know the names we just kinds winged it when we were there ;)

we booked all of our tours online before we left, we went through mazatlantours.org for a few of them, the stone island and deer island tours were awesome, snorkling, horse back riding, kayaking around an island, bannana boat rides. we also took a zip line tour from Veraneando Adventure Zipline, they picked us up right there at el cid, took us there, had fun on 12 zip lines, then a horse back ride back to the village with a home cooked mexican lunch, then back to the hotel all for $70 per person if you book online, if you wait to book all of this stuff there at the hotel it will cost alot more. They wanted $95 there so I was glad to have prebooked everything.
have a great vacation!

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was that Christine's ?

I also recommend Playa Bruha (Beach Witch). You can ride the Cerritos bus to the end and Bruha is there. Last Drop is a great hamburger place and we also like Roy's down there.

When we were in Mazatlan in the summer, there was a massage place in the Cerritos strip center that was doing 60 minute massages fr 180 pesos. I am sure the rates are higher in the winter, but still cheaper than at the resorts. It is not fancy, but if you like to get a massage on vacation, I would recommend them.

We had massages and Joyce had a manicure and pedicure at Christine's in November.

Greg

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Names of restaurants , I can't remeber but

this one was great . It is between the El Cid Marina and the El Moro, it specializes in seafood, this photo is the view from where we were seated.

Greg

Attachments

• beach restaurant maz.JPG
    beach restaurant maz.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 45

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Costa Marinara?

Fern

this one was great . It is between the El Cid Marina and the El Moro, it specializes in seafood, this photo is the view from where we were seated.

Greg

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You all are great! I'm busy packing right now for our early morning flight.

Fern, how long has it been since you've been to Maz? I remember in the early days that it was a favorite of yours and those memories inspired me to give it a try this year. :)

Deb

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, darn,

I just can't remember the name. If you left Christina's heading towards the Pueblo Bonitio, it would only be a couple of blocks on the left, it sits on the beach on the end of a dead end street. Sorry, I don't have the name. Greg

Costa Marinara?

Fern

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is ocean warm?

Is ocean warm enough to swim around Christmas and New Year timeframe? Any of the resorts has a heated pool?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think most if not all the resorts' pools are heated. I have seen many people in the ocean- actually, Sea of Cortez, but to me it seems pretty cool. The beaches are great, though. Jim

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is ocean warm enough to swim around Christmas and New Year timeframe? Any of the resorts has a heated pool?

At El Cid right now and it is a bit cool. It is nice to sit on the beach directly in the sun but it is windy. No one is in the pools or ocean except for some hearty children. The pools are fairly shallow and would warm up nicely if there was extended sun on them but it is evidently unseasonably cool this week. It's a heck of alot nicer than Chicago though!

Deb

Idahoamy

Reaction score
I Our former favorite, Casa Loma, is no longer in business but the family that ran it might be somewhere else.

Jim Ricks

I wonder if they were closed for a season? We ate there in May of 2010, and my parents ate there just a couple weeks ago (for their 40th anniversary) on Feb 27, 2011? It is a great restaurant, and I recommend it as well!

I'm eager to try out some of these new spots next time we go! Our favorites are:
Pancho's
Panama (we get the little sandwiches for 100 pesos or less and take them to our room for lunch, and on the plane!)
The place (el paraje) , just down the way from PB mazatlan
tony's and Chili Peppers
Cilantro's (on the beach at PB-mazatlan)

I guess there's now a Pancho's across the street from PB-M. A Michael's, too! And across the street and north a block or less is a place with fantastic fish tacos.

I can't wait until May! We do usually like a Feb vacay in Mexico... but I'm a grad student right now, so we have to wait until the end of the semester. Will be nice, regardless! Thanks for these recommendations! I'm printing this out to take with!

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
While I was waiting for windoze to do a few updates I ran across this thread and didn't see my favorite Mazatlan restaurant listed!

Cocina de Ana is a great little lunch place that's been very busy both times I've been there. It's located in the Zona Dorada. If you're walking South (towards town) on the main drag (Av. Camaron Sabalo) hang a right when you get to the Dairy Queen, then a left at the very next street (just a couple of steps). Walk down the street a ways - it's on the left hand (East) side.

Food varies by day of week and is presented in a steam table. You take either a plate or to-go box and dish up what you want, they weigh it and charge you by how much it weighs. Food is excellent. And they have horchata!

ragtop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some more thoughts...

“El BIfe” it is located at Plaza Machado, good Argentinian style beef, nice atmosphere.
“Lorna” two blocks away east from Plaza Machado, international cuisine, good selection of wines.
“La Mona” informal pizza restaurant downtown
“Casa Country” by golden zone, good variety on their menu
“Los Panchos” this place at the golden zone is really good for breakfast, good Mexican food
“Vitore” the best Italian food in town, the service is not great, but the food is outstanding
“Casa Loma” considered to be very good.
“La Corriente” for seafood this is new restaurant, located on the beach at the malecon, they have an interesting selection of food on their menu, kind of strange preparation but good, just stay away of uncooked seafood such as “Ceviche Acapulco”, (just the one prepared in this restaurant)