• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on purchasing more points

techdad

Reaction score
We are currently very satisfied owners of a 2br unit (8400) and just spent a wonderful spring break at our home resort, HHV.
Am now contemplating adding more points. I'd like to get some insight and experience from other members.
Has anyone gone this route and how many more points did they purchase?
Is there an optimal number to purchase? 2000 or 3500 or 5000 or...?
Which property did you purchase to minimize the MFs?

Thanks for any input.

janckenn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Grand Waikikian x1
HGVC West 57th Street x2,
HGVC Flamingo x2,
HC The District x1
HGVC member since 2007
When I wanted more points, I purchased HGVC--Flamingo. There is no right of first refusal there, so you don't have to worry about HGVC stopping you. Maintenance fees are reasonable there. Also great location if you do decide to go to Las Vegas.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We are currently very satisfied owners of a 2br unit (8400) and just spent a wonderful spring break at our home resort, HHV.
Am now contemplating adding more points. I'd like to get some insight and experience from other members.

Thanks for any input.

Think about why you want more points and how you plan to use them to avoid buying too many points or too little points.

Also, keep in mind, there are other timeshare options out there. Some of us own more than just Hilton ;)

For example:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202811
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192674

drbrandt

Reaction score
From a strictly maintenance fee perspective, you can't beat Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From a strictly maintenance fee perspective, you can't beat Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard.

Generally maintenance fees associated with the newest HGVC resorts are subsidized to make them more attractive.
For example: http://library.corporate-ir.net/lib...ms/236342/March_2007_Analyst_Presentation.pdf (see Page 2 - "Lifecycle of a Timeshare Project")

Maintenance Fee for the following HGVC resorts are subsidized:
- Parc Soleil
- Las Vegas on the Boulevard (aka Las Vegas Strip)
- Grand Waikikian
- Kingsland
- W57th St
- Anderson

Last edited:

techdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.
Another question, In your decision to purchase more points, did you also take into consideration the future resale value of the points/location?

Given the popularity, I think my HHV points can retain its market value, but what about the recommended Vegas or Sea World properties?
Could I be stuck with something that I can't sell down the road? Is this a valid concern?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I don't think it's valid, we will never get stuck with a worthless HGVC. Value shoppers will always want the Vegas and Florida properties with lower fees to trade for Hawaii. They are building more units in Hawaii, there will always be availability to trade.

I bought HHV as my first developer purchase, and I like the convenience of home booking there since I have the 2br premier, but I have no delusions, "points are points" in HGVC.

Instead of adding more points, I learned how to stretch what I own and branched out into other brands and trading exchanges. I can now trade to Maui and Kauai, it's not cost effective to do it with HGVC points.

Last edited:

DavidCooper

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any input.
You can never have too many Hilton Points as long as you buy right. My wife can no longer travel due to knee problems, but we have been allr the world thru GVC or trading Hilton points for Hilton Hotels. W

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Resale Values

Currently, we are selling more 5,000 point Hiltons than any other point package. When you are asking about maintaining values, many of our buyers are more concerned with buying "cheap" points, rather than buying properties that want to travel to.

When buying resale, you must decide if it makes more sense to buy a property with a lower up front fee or with a lower maintenance fee. Typically you are not getting both. An example of this would be that an HGVC Las Vegas Strip 7000 point unit sells for about $4,000 more than a 7000 point Sea World property.

techdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses and suggestions.
We like the Hilton system and would prefer to stay within the same system.

We originally bought resale and now in hindsight, maybe should have bought more.
Moving forward, I guess the deciding factor on the second purchase for me will be the maintenance fees.