• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice on Destin Timeshare

beachdreamin

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here on Tug and am in a great need of advice from all of you Master Tuggers!!! I own week 11 at a small timeshare in Destin,Fl called Holiday Beach Resort Phase 1. It is a small studio unit beach front that has what I feel is low maintenance fee's(about $420.}We have only ever stayed our week. We haven't joined Rci or any of the other's. If we were a family of 3 or even a family of 4 with 2 small kids it would be the perfect unit but we aren't. Does ANYONE out there have ANY advice what we should do. We received this unit free of charge...thanks to a family member who is a tugger..lol Our family grew up in timeshares. This is the first of many I will own so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What is your question? :shrug:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
By joining RCI or other exchange companies, there are fees involved.

Hi, I am new here on Tug and am in a great need of advice from all of you Master Tuggers!!! I own week 11 at a small timeshare in Destin,Fl called Holiday Beach Resort Phase 1. It is a small studio unit beach front that has what I feel is low maintenance fee's(about $420.}We have only ever stayed our week. We haven't joined Rci or any of the other's. If we were a family of 3 or even a family of 4 with 2 small kids it would be the perfect unit but we aren't. Does ANYONE out there have ANY advice what we should do. We received this unit free of charge...thanks to a family member who is a tugger..lol Our family grew up in timeshares. This is the first of many I will own so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I checked in RCI and a studio at that resort for week 11 currently gets 26 TPUs. Since the size of your family won't allow you to stay in that size unit, you have a couple of choices. The travel demand for this week, as shown in Interval is slightly above average and I've been told that II trades more for like size units (no personal experience with II).

So you could join RCI, deposit your ownership and exchange each year. This will naturally increase your annual costs (annual membership fee and exchange fees, plus the maintenance fee). Since you were given the timeshare, you could give yours away on TUG and pick up something that works better for your family size.....maybe another freebie or a low cost one on TUG.

I just accepted a giveaway on TUG for the cost of closing and transfer on Friday, which meant I needed to give one away. I listed one of mine on TUG for the cost of closing and transfer. I had someone contact me today that wants it.

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could buy another week 11 there. Maybe two studio units would be enough room for your family. Or, you could buy a bigger unit there and try to sell your current one. You should call them and see what is available for sale.

beachdreamin

Reaction score
Thank you for the info... I am really thinking about joining RCI. Wow 26 trading power isn't to bad for that. If we did some planning we could get 2 weeks out of that.. I would love to own a week at the beach during a summer week. That's my next treasure I am going to start searching for!! Just being curious If I was to rent the unit out when should I begin looking for renters where should I post ads (other than tug :) and How much??? Thanks again fot anyone willing to help us Newbies!!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sooner the better, and the more places listed the better.

Thank you for the info... I am really thinking about joining RCI. Wow 26 trading power isn't to bad for that. If we did some planning we could get 2 weeks out of that.. I would love to own a week at the beach during a summer week. That's my next treasure I am going to start searching for!! Just being curious If I was to rent the unit out when should I begin looking for renters where should I post ads (other than tug :) and How much??? Thanks again fot anyone willing to help us Newbies!!

People are already looking for 2015 rentals. Get your listings posted now. Myresortnetwork.com has always worked well for me and it's cheap. $19.95. Redweek.com, you have to be a member and those that want to contact the owners have to be a member. Membership is $14.95 and the rental listing would be $24.95. I, personally, haven't had too much luck with Redweek. Craigslist is free and I list there. You can renew your listing every couple of days. Determine how you will accept payment. Get yourself a Rental Agreement together. As far as how much to charge, I check and see what the resort charges. Then I check the listing sites. Price well under what the resort charges. List for less than the competition.

Yes, I agree, 26 TPUs isn't bad at all. As far as that summer beach week, it can happen. Now is a great time for scooping up deals. Many folks list prior to maintenance fees coming due the first of the year.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just so happens there is a week 11 at your resort available in a 3BR/slps 10

You could buy another week 11 there. Maybe two studio units would be enough room for your family. Or, you could buy a bigger unit there and try to sell your current one. You should call them and see what is available for sale.

It's listed for $999 on MyResortNetwork. I am not affiliated with this listing, but saw it when I was checking for rental listings for you.

You mentioned wanting a summer week, so perhaps you should just keep your eyes open for a deal on a summer week where you like to vacation. Watch TUG also. The week I am receiving "free" from another Tugger is a summer beach week! Be patient, set up notifications on myresortnetwork and redweek for resorts of interest and scan the Bargain Deals and Marketplace on TUG often. Sometimes, you can find them on Craigslist.

Good luck to you!