• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental question

beachdreamin

Reaction score
Our children are performing at Disney on [dates deleted] They are out of school for Winter Break the following week. We have never rented a timeshare before and want to make sure we do not get scammed. SO I was hoping you TUG MASTERS could lead us in the right direction on where to start looking, when, and what type of price range should we expect for a family of 6. We would like to check in on either [ 1 week stay.]

[Edited to comply with the no-advertising rule.]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How to verify that a rental is Legit: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109479

Consider the TUG Marketplace, and www.redweek.com for rentals.

You will find that a Disney Resort for a week for a family of 6 is going to be expensive, but there are lots of nice, less expensive alternatives in Orlando: Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Sheraton, Marriott, etc.

(Since buying/selling/renting are not permitted in the TUG discussion forums, I edited the dates out of your post.)

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the "evil" Mega Renters should take care of your needs shortly.

Good people, they just control so many points they can impact availability for those of us who bought to use

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Thank you for posting, evil one...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know your dates, but post in the "Rentals Wanted" section

Our children are performing at Disney on [dates deleted] They are out of school for Winter Break the following week. We have never rented a timeshare before and want to make sure we do not get scammed. SO I was hoping you TUG MASTERS could lead us in the right direction on where to start looking, when, and what type of price range should we expect for a family of 6. We would like to check in on either [ 1 week stay.]

[Edited to comply with the no-advertising rule.]

Don't post until 45 days from check-in or your post will be removed. Also, if you're a TUG Member, you can post in the "Rentals Wanted" section of the Marketplace.

As posted, the mega renters should be contacting you soon. :D

In addition to the TUG Marketplace and Redweek (you have to be a member to contact owners), check out MyResortNetwork. Craigslist has a lot of scammers. Though I do post rentals, personally, on Craigslist, I also have seen many scam listings on there and you really have to be diligent. Stick with the other three.

How exciting for your family to have the kids performing at Disney for the Holidays! :hi:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If your winter break is over weeks 51 and or 52 expect to pay a premium and start looking asap as you may have trouble just finding the availability. If you are looking for something in Jan-Mar you still want to start looking now but you will have a greater selection. Orlando has a lot of units and can probably cater to a variety of budgets.

beachdreamin

Reaction score
Newbie help not rental wanted

I just noticed my post was edited by someone and the dates of our winter break was taken off. I was not asking for others to offer there timeshares to us i was literally asking for advice on when we should start looking and so on. I wrote it in the newbies help??? Is that not the right place.

This was not a rentals wanted or last minute. Our winter break is not our christmas break!! Our winter break is in febuary. So whoever edited my post did so jumping to conclusions. What we had asked was advice on when we should start looking, different price ranges, and where was good places to look. And to let you know we got not one person offering a unit to us wouldnt those folks be lookinh in the rental wanted section and not the newbies help section???? Just a thought.............

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Anytime you put specific dates and ask about rentals it is edited because even if your intention wasn't to solicit offers, the result would be offers.

You probably didn't get offers because the dates were removed before most saw your post. Many members look at the new post overall and do not go into specific sub forums unless posting or specifically interested.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I don't like being referred to as an Evil Mega Renter. This will keep TUG members from taking a chance on renting from me or others, who are not evil, just looking to rent or exchange amongst each other without paying high fees to exchange or rental companies. I know there are others like me who are looking for even swaps or low price rentals.
We have no agenda except to enjoy vacations at a reasonable price!
TerryC

beachdreamin

Reaction score
I understand where yall are coming from but all you did was to make people think I needed advice on getting a place during CHRISTMAS!!!! In Georgia we have a Christmas break and a winter break. If we are posting in a "NEWBIE HELP" AND if my post said NOTHING about looking for to rent at that moment maybe the more friendly thing tO do is send the newbie a pm letting them know. I dont see how I can get the advice without some sort of idea when we are.traveling??? Please read my post I never asked to find a place to rent through the post. Then someone tells me to go to last min rentals?????? When FEBRUARY is not last min..,,anywho Ohhhhh and I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS EVIL...LOL,.,I MAY THINK HARD BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.......I had good intentions:ignore:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, hang around a bit longer ... this is a community of whom many of us are jokesters. But we do have a few rules.

You found the one rule which DeniseM - our mothering moderator on this board - corrected. She then corrected ronpaise's reply as HE knew better with the reply involving "evil one" comment. That is a minor 'slap' to him -- NOT YOU. Rent_Share comment on evil Mega-renters was just a way of saying/whispering - don't be surprised if someone contacts you but once DeniseM cleanup the dates, times and particulars of your original post, later readers COULD not offer you what they might be trying to rent (or what could be perceived as a request for offerings).

So, your kid is going to Disney and the week following the "school/club" trip, your family would like to rent a timeshare. Great. TUG has a section called the Marketplace for regular rentals. It is at the top of the page towards the right in RED lettering.

Other sites where timeshare rentals are advertise include Redweek,com, myresortnetwork.com, vacationtimesharerentals.com ....

As for suggestions for a safe rental of timeshare, there are several stickies label as such.... just do a search of threads for them.

Good luck ... and stick around.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The advertising ban in the discussion forum is, the hardest thing for new to grasp, and one of the most strictly enforced. What seems like an innocent question can be edited if it could result in a solicitation for a commercial transaction, from the poster or a reader.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand where yall are coming from but all you did was to make people think I needed advice on getting a place during CHRISTMAS!!!! In Georgia we have a Christmas break and a winter break. If we are posting in a "NEWBIE HELP" AND if my post said NOTHING about looking for to rent at that moment maybe the more friendly thing tO do is send the newbie a pm letting them know. I dont see how I can get the advice without some sort of idea when we are.traveling??? Please read my post I never asked to find a place to rent through the post. Then someone tells me to go to last min rentals?????? When FEBRUARY is not last min..,,anywho Ohhhhh and I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS EVIL...LOL,.,I MAY THINK HARD BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.......I had good intentions:ignore:

Just to clarify - the other posters have done a good job of explaining the "no advertising" rule, and I want to confirm that what you are being told is accurate.

I'm sure your "intentions" were good, but when you post all the details of a rental that you are looking for, it becomes a virtual Ad and it WILL generate rental offers. While this may not seem like a bad thing for you, it is a bad thing for TUG, because we try to keep the discussion forums commercial free. Because of past abuses, we have to be pretty strict about the rules.

I NEVER SAID ANYONE WAS EVIL…LOL

Another poster wrote "evil mega renters," - it was tongue in cheek and the responses were not directed at you. There are many people on TUG who rent timeshares for a profit, and this was a humorous reference to them - no reflection on you at all.

I dont see how I can get the advice without some sort of idea when we are.traveling???

It's simple, actually - "We will be looking for a high demand week in Orlando - can you please make some suggestions about how to find a rental for a family of 6."

Please be aware that your post was edited by a TUG Moderator (me) in accordance with the TUG rules, and we appreciate your cooperation with the rules, which you may want to review for future reference: TUG Posting Rules

Please don't feel singled out - this happens every day on TUG, and it was just a simple mistake, because you didn't know the rules - please don't take it personally.

Last edited: