• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points Conversion at Massanutten

VaHiker

Reaction score
I just returned from an owners weekend at Massanutten with the usual unpleasant sale tour. I did not buy anything but am considering their final offer, which after some discussion will remain good until at least the end of the year.

My friend and I own at Woodstone and Eagles Trace. When RCI started the points system, we purchased a resale unit at Grandview in Vegas to get into the system and happily used the points for deposit feature when banking our Massanutten weeks. Now that Woodstone has converted to points, I have been told I can no longer use the points for deposit feature with those weeks. I have also been told that Eagles Trace will shortly convert as well.

I will not bore anyone with the various bogus pitchs made by the first two sales reps. The third looked at what I had, spoke with me like a human being and acknowledged that buying the Grandview Unit had been the best move at the time. She offered me a 1 in 3 points unit in the Massanutten system which she says will bring my Woodstone week into points (87,000 per year) at no additional cost and also the Eagles Trace unit (points value TBD) at no cost when they make that conversion and give me an additional 15,000 points per year for the new unit. The cost would be $4500 plus annual maintenance fee of $411. She also said she knew a reputable timeshare resale service that would sell our Grandview unit with no upfront costs but a commission to be paid from proceeds at time of sale.

This seems like an offer that may be worth taking. I was impressed that at no point did she give me the "offer expires today" routine. She did encourage me to act before the end of the year because January is when they typically make inventory, policy etc changes.

Can anyone advise me on this?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am at Massanutten now. It's been about 3 years since my last update so I thought I would take them up. It wasn't worth the $100 in resort credits or the golf or waterpark that had to be used this week. I did accept for the $125 prepaid Visa.

If they are offering you a 1 in 3 use that means the MF's would be $1233 per use? I though only the Woodstone Casa had 1 in 3 and I didn't think the MF's would be that high.

How much did they think the grandview would get through the agent?

VaHiker

Reaction score
You did better than me. I only got $50 in resort credit and $100 prepaid Visa which was supposed to be a refund of the deposit they had requested. They did upgrade me from a hotel unit to an Eagles Trace Condo for the weekend.

I misremembered the MF, it is $315 so that would be $945 per use. The did not give me an estimate on the Grandview unit but I doubt it will be much. We only paid $2500 prerecession and I would guess prices have gone down.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Questions to consider

If you like RCI points why would you sell the Grandview as part of this transaction? Grandview is known for giving you a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to points. Have you computed what your new ratio of points to MF will be?

Why not keep and use the Massanutten in the RCI Weeks System and get the TPU for them? Massanutten doesn't get fantastic TPU but its not bad and as an RCI Points member you get a Weeks account too....allowing you access to both systems.

Tommart

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Opinion

I own two Woodstone weeks. Massanutten offered me to convert both to Points for $7K.
I wanted to be in both Weeks and Points so I countered with $3K to only convert one of my weeks. They turned me down. I walked.

Your deal appears better than what they offered me. But if you just look at the new week that you are purchasing, the MF is $945 (3 years). If you get 15K points/year that would be 45K every 3 years. You will be receiving less than a half point/cent. Not a good deal. The rule of thumb is to get at least 1 point/cent. You will never be able to resell this week.

So from my view, you're paying $4500 to convert one week, you may get a free conversion at Eagle Trace should they convert (do you trust your sales person?), and Massanutten is unloading a week that they and you will never be able to sell. Now you own four timeshares.

I would walk if this were offered me.

It would be a tougher decision if you could get them to convert your two existing weeks for $4500 and not take the lame week.

Last edited:

Tommart

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Opinion

I own two Woodstone weeks. Massanutten offered me to convert both to Points for $7K.
I wanted to be in both Weeks and Points so I countered with $3K to only convert one of my weeks. They turned me down. I walked.

Your deal appears better than what they offered me. But if you just look at the new week that you are purchasing, the MF is $945 (3 years). If you get 15K points/year that would be 45K every 3 years. You will be receiving less than a half point/cent. Not a good deal. The rule of thumb is to get at least 1 point/cent. You will never be able to resell this week.

So from my view, you're paying $4500 to convert one week, you may get a free conversion at Eagle Trace should they convert, and Massanutten is unloading a week that they and you will never be able to sell. Now you own four timeshares.

I would walk if this were offered me.

It would be a tougher decision if you could get them to convert your two existing weeks for $4500 and not take the lame week.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The final deal I was offered of $4995 plus $199 for each of the two eligible units I own (one Woodstone deluxe and one Regal Vistas). They wouldn't put in anything that would allow a Summit unit to be converted (for free) if they started selling conversions and only said that at this point it would be eligible for PFD. My two units have a $1185 total MF's for 6 br's total and would have netted 114,500+89,000=229,500 rci points at $0.005 per point

Everyone was nice with the exception of James the first closer. He was loud. He told me several things that were untrue about how points worked and basically seemed like a jerk. He probably felt the same way about me.