• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Silver Lakes] Vacation Club membership

JBD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased at Silver Lakes Vacation Club in Hellendale CA, (an RCI points affiliate) 2 years ago. We do pay maintenance fees. We want to discontinue our membership (just give it away) and they want $2900 plus a $189 fee to get out of the membership.

What are my options?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'd pay it and be happy that you have an option to get out of your timeshare legally. Most resorts will NOT take deed backs at any price.

BUT - be very sure you are really dealing with resort management and NOT a scammer or other outside entity...

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask for a much lower cost, based on their cost of trying to collect a California judgment from a debtor in Windsor, Ontario

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
David - I strongly disagree:

Since this will probably be a difficult to resale, don't we want to applaud the HOA for:

1) offering a way to get out and

2) making sure it won't be a burden on the remaining owners by collecting enough to cover the MF for 2-3 years, and cover marketing costs?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt pay them a nickel. Offer to give it back. If they dont take it, stop paying and more than likely they will end up taking it back after realizing it is much cheaper to accept it back than to foreclose.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two very different situations, two very different responses...

Out here on the right coast reading this thread, I'm admittedly a bit confused about whether this is just a vacation "club" or an actual timeshare facility. :shrug:
I don't see that particular name in several (admittedly several years old) RCI or II directories on hand, so no enlightenment is available there either.

OP makes reference to both a "membership" (suggesting a non-facility-specific "vacation club") yet also mentions maintenance fees (suggesting a brick and mortar facility, with underlying deed). My two cents' worth would actually be polar opposite suggestions, depending entirely upon on exactly which situation exists here.

For a facility with deeded ownership and associated annual maintenance fees, I'd recommend pursuing the deedback option with the HOA if it's offered and available.
A year or two of maintenance fees, plus a few hundred dollars in legal costs for new deed prep and recording is both reasonable and (minimally) sufficient to mitigate the unwelcome negative financial impact placed upon other remaining owners from "deedbacks" until the HOA or its' resale rep can (hopefully) find a "replacement" owner.

On the other hand, if this is literally just a membership-only "vacation club" and not a brick and mortar facility with deeded ownership and maintenance fees, I'd just stop paying them anything further and just tell them to "have a nice day". An owner is not irresponsibly "stiffing" other owners by walking away if it's only a non-facility specific "membership" in the first place. More often than not, such clubs are themselves the ones suddenly folding up tent, disappearing and "stiffing" their members.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a timeshare: Silver Lakes Vacation Club

It's not unusual for a timeshare to call itself a "Vacation Club."

Lake Tahoe Vacation Club

Ka'anapali Vacation Club

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a timeshare: Silver Lakes Vacation Club <snip>

O.K. then. I was misled and confused by the OP inaccurately describing as a "membership" that which is apparently a deeded ownership instead.
However, my prior thoughts (post #6 above) on these two very different scenarios remain completely unchanged by this belated clarification.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO

Although they may end up with a US foreclosure,[California] the risk to their Canadian Credit Report is slim to none, and the cost of collecting across international borders would be more than the debt.

Check with a solicitor in your local province

YMMV

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Silver Lakes timeshares are perpetually available as a Last Call on RCI. They have no demand whatsoever.

RCI:
The Inn at Silver Lakes #1371
The Mission Villas at Silver Lakes #A710

II:
The Inn at Silver Lakes ISL

To the OP - I do hope you can get out of the ownership by giving it back. You will not be able to sell it.