• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Family Resorts

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're home from a wonderful stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Villas (RCI exchange) and have begun talking about our vacation plans for next year and 2018. DH said not Disney for next year, but I am constantly drawn back to DVC because they make traveling with kids so easy and enjoyable. That leads me to the question, what other resorts are out there that are great resorts for kids? We also own at Royal Dunes on HHI and are strongly considering going back there next summer. I just love how Disney has activities and pool parties that my 8 year-old daughter enjoys so much.

NHTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're home from a wonderful stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Villas (RCI exchange) and have begun talking about our vacation plans for next year and 2018. DH said not Disney for next year, but I am constantly drawn back to DVC because they make traveling with kids so easy and enjoyable. That leads me to the question, what other resorts are out there that are great resorts for kids? We also own at Royal Dunes on HHI and are strongly considering going back there next summer. I just love how Disney has activities and pool parties that my 8 year-old daughter enjoys so much.

Smuggler's Notch Resort (Wyndham has units there) has tons for kids to do.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps in a couple of years, she will enjoy the early American history and costumed reinactors at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Lots of timeshares there, but no mice. Busch Gardens is nearby for a theme park fix.

Jim

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Disney owns in Hilton Head, SC and Vero Beach, FL. Atlantis is great for children also.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm not sure the Buying, Selling, Renting Forum is the best location for your question.

What region are you asking about?

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Fun!

I would second Smuggs....but you'll need to do your own planning if you visit spring break or early summer...some of their activities don't fire up until mid June. We love it there, though...so much to do that's a quick car drive away. We're headed there next summer. I promised to buy the Smuggs pass for the kids, and they are over the moon, since we've only been off-season. :)

My four kiddos say we've had a grand time at every timeshare we've been to. But we have very simple tastes, and tend to make our own fun as we go.

Good luck...the anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am a Smuggs owner for many years and can vouch for the fun factor for kids and adults.

There is also Tyler Place in Vermont- been around for many years. We have never been there so I cannot advise about it one way or another, but it does look interesting.

And- just saw this article posted on Yahoo.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/americas-top-5-family-resorts-144650115.html

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smuggler's Notch Resort (Wyndham has units there) has tons for kids to do.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/

Perhaps in a couple of years, she will enjoy the early American history and costumed reinactors at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Lots of timeshares there, but no mice. Busch Gardens is nearby for a theme park fix.

Jim

Thank you! We have been discussing visiting Colonial Williamsburg over spring break 2018 since she will study the American Revolution in fifth grade.

Disney owns in Hilton Head, SC and Vero Beach, FL. Atlantis is great for children also.

Thanks, I'll add them to our list!

I'm not sure the Buying, Selling, Renting Forum is the best location for your question.

What region are you asking about?

Any!

I would second Smuggs....but you'll need to do your own planning if you visit spring break or early summer...some of their activities don't fire up until mid June. We love it there, though...so much to do that's a quick car drive away. We're headed there next summer. I promised to buy the Smuggs pass for the kids, and they are over the moon, since we've only been off-season. :)

My four kiddos say we've had a grand time at every timeshare we've been to. But we have very simple tastes, and tend to make our own fun as we go.

Good luck...the anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

YES! :cheer::cheer: I think the planning and abundance of resources to plan for Disney is one reason I love vacationing there so much!

I've never even considered Smuggler's Notch. Off to research!

I am a Smuggs owner for many years and can vouch for the fun factor for kids and adults.

There is also Tyler Place in Vermont- been around for many years. We have never been there so I cannot advise about it one way or another, but it does look interesting.

And- just saw this article posted on Yahoo.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/americas-top-5-family-resorts-144650115.html

Thank you!

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your kids would never want to leave The Great Smokies Lodge in Sevierville, Tennessee. It has a waterpark and giant arcade. Plus there are many kid-friendly activities around there.

Willamsburg, Va., has many great properties. Kingsgate has free arcade games and minigolf and there is lots to do there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So you would consider Hawaii, and the Caribbean, and resorts outside the US like Harborside and Mexico?

Are you looking for resorts you can exchange into during school holidays?

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughters are 4 and 10, and here are some great family-friendly resorts we've done:

Marriott Manor in Williamsburg--so many great kids' activities onsite, and we did Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country (my favorite waterpark EVER), and some time at Virginia Beach

Hilton Waikoloa (there are a few properties you can exchange into via RCI. 2017 bulk is done. Put in a request now if you want 2018)

Tampa Land's End--Not a ton to do at the resort, but we could walk onto the beach from our room. The Tampa area was awesome for kids. We did Busch Gardens, the zoo, the beach, and the waterpark.

Wyndham Glacier Canyon--One of our favorites. This is a quick drive for us, so we go here frequently for short trips. But if you go during the summer, you could easily stay for the week in the Dells.

Worldmark Windsor--Strangely, my older DD was three at the time, and she absolutely LOVED our stay in Wine Country. We found a ton of stuff for kids, and the resort was fun

Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach--Another fun city. We did a lot of mini-golfing and beach time

Wyndham Grand Desert--Another strange one, but my older DD says Vegas is her second-favorite vacation, with WDW as her first. We did Circus Circus, the Secret Garden at Mirage, Gondola rides at Venetian, and just touring the different hotels.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No accounting for taste :)

My daughters are 4 and 10, and here are some great family-friendly resorts we've done:

Marriott Manor in Williamsburg--so many great kids' activities onsite, and we did Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country (my favorite waterpark EVER), and some time at Virginia Beach

Hilton Waikoloa (there are a few properties you can exchange into via RCI. 2017 bulk is done. Put in a request now if you want 2018)

Tampa Land's End--Not a ton to do at the resort, but we could walk onto the beach from our room. The Tampa area was awesome for kids. We did Busch Gardens, the zoo, the beach, and the waterpark.

Wyndham Glacier Canyon--One of our favorites. This is a quick drive for us, so we go here frequently for short trips. But if you go during the summer, you could easily stay for the week in the Dells.

Worldmark Windsor--Strangely, my older DD was three at the time, and she absolutely LOVED our stay in Wine Country. We found a ton of stuff for kids, and the resort was fun

Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach--Another fun city. We did a lot of mini-golfing and beach time

Wyndham Grand Desert--Another strange one, but my older DD says Vegas is her second-favorite vacation, with WDW as her first. We did Circus Circus, the Secret Garden at Mirage, Gondola rides at Venetian, and just touring the different hotels.

The trip my kids have enjoyed best was April break (read: MUD SEASON:eek:) at Samoset in Maine. We took several little day trips, swam in the pool for long hours at a time, enjoyed "dinner and a movie" at the resort. And they thought it was paradise, and are begging to go back. Almost any resort can be family-friendly with a little pre-planning.

Love reading the "strangely kid-friendly" vacations you posted about! :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
,,,,just touring the different hotels.

I did something similar to my 3 nephews years ago ... Ocean City, MD in January, 2007 (MLK Weekend). On Sunday afternoon, we went to all the realtor's open houses we could find ... 13, 11 and 7 years old. Each place we stopped at and before we went inside, each boy got a "check YOUR assigned room" and quickly tour the rest of the house. They would report WHAT they liked or NOT liked in their "room" and then a general, rating on that place to the other places we had toured. I talked to the realtor and tour a bit of the house. I made sure the boys did NOT take any treats as I promised them Ice Cream after we checkout all the houses/condo.

Their parents were across the country on a required business trip for their Dad's job. I asked for his family's beach condo, as the weather was going up into the 70s (in January) and I rather not have them annoying me with their video game silliness.

It was interesting by the 5th open house .. they were talking between themselves as to WHAT they liked and disliked... and why. We did about 15 or more Open Houses.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I've never stayed at a Disney resort. We tend to make our vacations more about the general location than the resort. So I research things in the area that I think would interest my family.

One year I found a state park near our resort was having an awesome grunion fish egg hatching and release experience. My son loved it!

At this very moment I'm hanging out at a skatepark in Southern California while my son skateboards. Simple things like this are fun because it's just so hot in Vegas right now that the only mid-day outdoor activity you can do is swim. This is fun and exciting to him. We will spend time at the beach and walking around town looking at things or getting treats. Laid back can be very family-friendly :)

Ps - Vegas can be very family-friendly if you want it to be. It's all about keeping the adults in the group away from gambling or partying. Roller coasters, indoor skydiving, tram rides, gondola, ice skating, pools, water parks, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, Hoover dam tour, lake mead boating, children's museum, lots of great parks, springs preserve, wetlands park, natural history museum, old Mormon fort, neon museum, Ethel Ms chocolate factory, Skyzone and Gravady, free outdoor movies at Downtown Summerlin or The District or Town Square, go cart racing, mini golf, high roller, etc etc etc

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never stayed at a Disney resort. We tend to make our vacations more about the general location than the resort. So I research things in the area that I think would interest my family.

One year I found a state park near our resort was having an awesome grunion fish egg hatching and release experience. My son loved it!

At this very moment I'm hanging out at a skatepark in Southern California while my son skateboards. Simple things like this are fun because it's just so hot in Vegas right now that the only mid-day outdoor activity you can do is swim. This is fun and exciting to him. We will spend time at the beach and walking around town looking at things or getting treats. Laid back can be very family-friendly :)

Ps - Vegas can be very family-friendly if you want it to be. It's all about keeping the adults in the group away from gambling or partying. Roller coasters, indoor skydiving, tram rides, gondola, ice skating, pools, water parks, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, Hoover dam tour, lake mead boating, children's museum, lots of great parks, springs preserve, wetlands park, natural history museum, old Mormon fort, neon museum, Ethel Ms chocolate factory, Skyzone and Gravady, free outdoor movies at Downtown Summerlin or The District or Town Square, go cart racing, mini golf, high roller, etc etc etc

You and I vacation the same way. :) We book a place with a nice pool, full kitchen, and enough beds for everyone....then Mama goes to work figuring out what's around that would be fun.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And then there's Massanutten.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. We love Glacier Canyon, too. We usually go for short trips (2-3 nights). I need to look up some of the other resorts that you mentioned. Thank you!!

If you haven't been to Hilton Head yet, you should definitely look into it. We loved it!

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you would consider Hawaii, and the Caribbean, and resorts outside the US like Harborside and Mexico?

Are you looking for resorts you can exchange into during school holidays?

We own a lot of points with Wyndham, so we wouldn't necessarily have to exchange. I am just looking for advice from fellow TUG members on which resorts they have enjoyed with their families. I am a teacher, so yes, I have to travel during school holidays (for the next 23 years).

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your kids would never want to leave The Great Smokies Lodge in Sevierville, Tennessee. It has a waterpark and giant arcade. Plus there are many kid-friendly activities around there.

Willamsburg, Va., has many great properties. Kingsgate has free arcade games and minigolf and there is lots to do there.

We loved Wyndham's other Smoky Mountain resort and both of them are on our short list for next year. Thanks for the suggestion!

We stayed at kingsgate in 2006. I'm sure we will go back there when the kids are a little older. We really liked the location. :)

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach.. The rooms, the grounds, the pools, the mini golf, the activities at he resort for kids are awesome. There is so much to do in Myrtle Beach. Broadway at the Beach is so close by with shops, games, movie theater, rides, fantastic restaurants and so much more. This will surely keep the girls busy and having fun. Also there is an oversized indoor pool at the resort to enjoy in case of rain.:cheer: