• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to buy off Tug?

evdvqq4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I seen an ad on Tug for a timeshare that would be interested in buying. Looking for advice on how to go about this, what to expect and not to get scammed.

I see the price of the time share and the price of the maintenance fee. What is hazy to me is closing costs, title transfers, etc. Who pays what, what is fair and how again making sure not being taken advantage off. Thank you everyone!

Kapolei

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I seen an ad on Tug for a timeshare that would be interested in buying. Looking for advice on how to go about this, what to expect and not to get scammed.

I see the price of the time share and the price of the maintenance fee. What is hazy to me is closing costs, title transfers, etc. Who pays what, what is fair and how again making sure not being taken advantage off. Thank you everyone!

TUG has nothing to do with the transactions. You are 100% on your own.

You need to educate yourself and you need to make decisions that are yours alone. Or you could pay for advice.

That being said, I would start with eBay completed listings to see what people have been able to get, if anything, for the timeshare.

The additional costs can be part of the offer and they might also be negotiated.

There are discussions here on how to protect yourself in the transaction. Maybe someone could share more here, but don't expect anybody, except someone you are paying to represent you, to give you specific advice on the transaction.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
TUG has nothing to do with the transactions. You are 100% on your own.

You need to educate yourself and you need to make decisions that are yours alone. Or you could pay for advice.

That being said, I would start with eBay completed listings to see what people have been able to get, if anything, for the timeshare.

The additional costs can be part of the offer and they might also be negotiated.

There are discussions here on how to protect yourself in the transaction. I don't think I could cover all the pitfalls in a quick forum reply. And specific advice on a transaction is what lawyers do for a fee.

We have used LT Transfers when buying or selling on TUG email is readylegal@gmail.com.
Silentg

evdvqq4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kapolei. Anything advice helps. Gives me an idea at least
were to start.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for the insight. So LT is a middle man for people looking to buy or sell?

LTT is a company that will handle the paperwork for a reasonable fee. They are Tug members, and are very professional people. I've had several transactions processed by them. I'd highly recommend them. Their website is http://www.lttransfers.com

Dave

Kapolei

Reaction score
Thank you for the insight. So LT is a middle man for people looking to buy or sell?

I am not real estate person.

What they did for me, the seller, and the buyer was prepare the deed, get it to us to sign, get the deed filed, and get the documents and transfer fee to the resort to have the record updated. In my situation, buyer and seller elected to go without escrow.

LT is not a middleman. They assist both parties in getting the documents completed and filed.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The first step would be to send a private message to the seller (click on their blue username and select 'Send Private Mail) they will probable email or PM back with how they would prefer to proceed. Remember, price, who pays or arranges for closing & registration, who gets leftover points or reservations, is all negotiable. Usually the amounts of money changing hands in a resale are not big enough to require escrow, but again that's negotiable. Personally, I would want to contact the resort for an 'estoppel' letter to be sure that the week/unit/points/season (whatever is applicable) are as depicted in the sales description.

Then, one party or the other might contact the paperwork co. (like LTTransfers or similar) to handle the paperwork. You can actually do it yourself, it isn't difficult, but most folks are more comfortable having someone more experienced do it.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note if its an ad in the marketplace, you contact the poster of the ad directly by clicking on the "contact this member" link on the ad itself! (or call the phone number if they provided it)

you can also find some useful articles and buying tips/checklists here in the advice section!

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml#Buying__Selling_Timeshares

best of luck, always great to see one TUG member buying from another!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you buy a home, you use a title company to handle the legal transfer of the deed from the seller to the buyer.

When you buy a timeshare, many people use a timeshare title company to handle the legal transfer of the deed from the seller to the buyer. LT Transfers is a Timeshare Title Company.

LT Transfers will:

-Provide a purchase contract for you and the buyer/seller to complete and sign.
-Prepare a deed that complies with the requirements of local law.
-Obtain the required notarized signatures.
-Send the new deed to the local county registrar's office to be officially recorded.
-Send the recorded deed to the timeshare management company, to change the ownership of the timeshare in their records.
-Notify you when the transfer is complete.

L.T. Transfers
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://www.lttransfers.com/
readylegal@gmail.com

evdvqq4

TUG Member
Reaction score
note if its an ad in the marketplace, you contact the poster of the ad directly by clicking on the "contact this member" link on the ad itself! (or call the phone number if they provided it)

you can also find some useful articles and buying tips/checklists here in the advice section!

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml#Buying__Selling_Timeshares

best of luck, always great to see one TUG member buying from another!

Thank you this helps!

evdvqq4

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you buy a home, you use a title company to handle the legal transfer of the deed from the seller to the buyer.

When you buy a timeshare, many people use a timeshare title company to handle the legal transfer of the deed from the seller to the buyer. LT Transfers is a Timeshare Title Company.

LT Transfers will:

-Provide a purchase contract for you and the buyer/seller to complete and sign.
-Prepare a deed that complies with the requirements of local law.
-Obtain the required notarized signatures.
-Send the new deed to the local county registrar's office to be officially recorded.
-Send the recorded deed to the timeshare management company, to change the ownership of the timeshare in their records.
-Notify you when the transfer is complete.

L.T. Transfers
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://www.lttransfers.com/
readylegal@gmail.com

Thank you for breaking that down!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I bought 2 timeshares on eBay, one on Redweek (with Re/Max) and one directly through the Tug marketplace. The easiest was through TUG. I used LT Transfer. But the seller was a knowledgeable timeshare owner as I was.

It helps if at least one person understands what has to be done.

LT Transfer can help to keep things moving.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Some sellers will want you to use a transfer company that does a title search. Such companies charge much more for handling the transfer. Most Tuggers (including me) will say a title search isn't necessary. We used expensive transfer companies for our first two resale purchases and used LT Transfers for our last. Not only was LT Transfers much less expensive, the whole process was easier and quicker. I would certainly recommend them.