• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HIVC/HGVC Sunset Cove Marco Island

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be posted under Hilton or another forum so forgive me.

Is anyone aware of what the trading options are for this resort? I purchased a winter fixed week on the resale market and may not be able to use it this year. Based on my research online, it appears that there is an option to enroll it in the Hilton points program. Since Holiday Inn took over the resort it also appears that I can purchase a membership in that club as well although there seems to be some conflicting information on enrolling resale weeks. Finally I believe the resort also trades in RCI and is eligible to be enrolled in the something called the Registry program.

What's the best option for my resale ownership? I value flexibility but bought in Marco Island with the intention of visiting frequently.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can not join Hilton. If you had joined while Hilton was the management company, you could remain with them after the transition to Holiday Inn. If you bought after that time or did not join Hilton your options are to keep the fixed week as is and exchange through RCI or the registry collection or join Holiday Inn Club Vacations and convert to points but that would probably require an additional HICV purchase. The minimum purchase was something like $8000 basically for a worthless studio with high MF's.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Not sure if this should be posted under Hilton or another forum so forgive me.

Is anyone aware of what the trading options are for this resort? I purchased a winter fixed week on the resale market and may not be able to use it this year. Based on my research online, it appears that there is an option to enroll it in the Hilton points program. Since Holiday Inn took over the resort it also appears that I can purchase a membership in that club as well although there seems to be some conflicting information on enrolling resale weeks. Finally I believe the resort also trades in RCI and is eligible to be enrolled in the something called the Registry program.

What's the best option for my resale ownership? I value flexibility but bought in Marco Island with the intention of visiting frequently.

Hello M&B! Did you buy week 8 at Sunset Cove that was on Ebay around the end of May? I was really wanting that unit since I always spend at least Feb. in So. Florida. However, I was too timeshare heavy to make the commitment then but did call to inquire about it. Since that time I did grab a Jensen Beach winter week so I am happy although I am having to give one week away!

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello M&B! Did you buy week 8 at Sunset Cove that was on Ebay around the end of May? I was really wanting that unit since I always spend at least Feb. in So. Florida. However, I was too timeshare heavy to make the commitment then but did call to inquire about it. Since that time I did grab a Jensen Beach winter week so I am happy although I am having to give one week away!

I did buy week 8, its a great time of year to visit.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can not join Hilton. If you had joined while Hilton was the management company, you could remain with them after the transition to Holiday Inn. If you bought after that time or did not join Hilton your options are to keep the fixed week as is and exchange through RCI or the registry collection or join Holiday Inn Club Vacations and convert to points but that would probably require an additional HICV purchase. The minimum purchase was something like $8000 basically for a worthless studio with high MF's.

A couple of years ago, I looked into this as well. An HIVC salesperson confirmed what tschwa2 mentions above- must buy minimum amount of points approximately $8,000 to enroll the Sunset Cove week.

Considering the Sunset Cove 3BR week 8 is a ton of points relative to the maintenance fees and automatically gets you to their highest level, I think the $8,000 would be worth it to enroll that week.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Cost to join Holiday Inn Club Vacations

The cost to change this week to the club was less than $4,000 the last time I looked and club membership was about $200 per year. This included a RCI membership and a points portal to RCI affiliated resorts.

Or you could not convert, just join RCI and receive a large amount of TPUs (trading point units) to trade at RCI weeks resorts such as the Disney resorts.

Study all your options and costs carefully prior to sinking any more money into your purchase.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cost to change this week to the club was less than $4,000 the last time I looked and club membership was about $200 per year. This included a RCI membership and a points portal to RCI affiliated resorts.

Or you could not convert, just join RCI and receive a large amount of TPUs (trading point units) to trade at RCI weeks resorts such as the Disney resorts.

Study all your options and costs carefully prior to sinking any more money into your purchase.

My understanding is that you can't "convert" weeks to the club anymore - you can negotiate bringing in a unit to the club in with another club purchase, and the lowest I'm aware of is around $8000.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
My understanding is that you can't "convert" weeks to the club anymore - you can negotiate bringing in a unit to the club in with another club purchase, and the lowest I'm aware of is around $8000.

-Scott

Well things do change and it has been a while since I researched. When this resort first came into the system with Desert Club a conversion could be had for $250. I am a Desert Club owner and I did not convert. HICV has continued to expand with several other nice additions but for my situation (1 bedroom deluxe season 4), it did not work for me. I do like having HICV as the resort manager. Great staff and nice upgrades at our resort.

If it were me, I would not convert OP's week to the Club if it was going to cost me $8,000. There are lots of other options available for exchanging. I am a DAE member but for this week RCI or SFX might work better for maximum value without additional costs. This is a very nice resort and the week is prime.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prior to the Silverleaf acquisition, owners who bought prior to HICV could join the club for a nominal fee (~$100) - this did not apply to owners who purchased after the HICV acquisition. My understanding is that this deal was not offered to Silverleaf owners. Without this special enrollment offer, you have to buy a unit from HICV for ~$8000.

-Scott

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tpu

Does anyone know how many Tpu points this would get? I called RCI and they wouldn't tell me without an account. I also tried depositing the week on SFX but I was told they wouldn't take it because it's not a crown rated resort. They said the HIVC Orlando and Myrtle Beach weeks were in much greater demand.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't know if it exchanges in RCI. The only code I see is 6559-Signature Collection at Sunset Cove. Are all units signature collection. If so it looks like it would get 42 if deposited 9 plus months in advance. I am not sure it wouldn't have to go through the registry collection which is the higher tier of RCI. I would contact SFX again. Not accepting a week 8 in a 3 br in Marco Island registry collection (higher than RCI gold crown) resort and saying they would prefer an Orlando resort is ridiculous.

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it exchanges in RCI. The only code I see is 6559-Signature Collection at Sunset Cove. Are all units signature collection. If so it looks like it would get 42 if deposited 9 plus months in advance. I am not sure it wouldn't have to go through the registry collection which is the higher tier of RCI. I would contact SFX again. Not accepting a week 8 in a 3 br in Marco Island registry collection (higher than RCI gold crown) resort and saying they would prefer an Orlando resort is ridiculous.

As far as I know all 36 units in the development are signature. Its a mixture of 3bed 3 bath and 3 bed 2 bath units. I will contact SFX again, they said they wont take the unit because its not crown or star rated by Interval or RCI. Is 42 TPU a lot? I cannot use my fixed week and was hoping to trade into Key West or Marco Island in October.

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I know all 36 units in the development are signature. Its a mixture of 3bed 3 bath and 3 bed 2 bath units. I will contact SFX again, they said they wont take the unit because its not crown or star rated by Interval or RCI. Is 42 TPU a lot? I cannot use my fixed week and was hoping to trade into Key West or Marco Island in October.

Has anyone ever tried depositing a resale HIVC week using the RCI points for deposit program? It appears to be a workaround so long as you also own at a points resort.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

42 TPU is on the high side so that is positive. It's definitely enough to get Key West and Marco in October. I don't track Key West but Marco Island deposits are not common. You need to have an ongoing search to get it.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just matched for Marco Island checking in Oct 29 at Charter Club and it was 27 tpus.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone ever tried depositing a resale HIVC week using the RCI points for deposit program? It appears to be a workaround so long as you also own at a points resort.

You can't use points for deposit if the resort itself is considered a points resort. Since HICV owners use pseudo rci points, I don't know if they would allow you to do a PFD at an HICV resort. You can always call and ask.

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think SFX values SW FL or Key West. I own a week at Hyatt Sunset Harbor in Key West, and SFX won't accept it. They said they never get requests for it. I don't understand that, but I've tried 2 times.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think SFX values SW FL or Key West. I own a week at Hyatt Sunset Harbor in Key West, and SFX won't accept it. They said they never get requests for it. I don't understand that, but I've tried 2 times.

wow, I would love to go to that resort.

and I am pretty sure I saw last minute availability last April for Sunset Cove on RCI

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations - Club Wyndham - Inn Season Vacation Club - Bluegreen - Breakers Resort (Cape Cod) - Edgewater Beach Resort (Cape Cod)

If you are interested in swapping your Sunset Cove week #8 for a different week, I own 4 weeks at Sunset Cove as well as some HICV points. I could reserve whatever dates you want in exchange for your week 8? Let me know if you have any interest in trading weeks?

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't use points for deposit if the resort itself is considered a points resort. Since HICV owners use pseudo rci points, I don't know if they would allow you to do a PFD at an HICV resort. You can always call and ask.

I'm almost positive that you can't PFD units at non-points HICV resorts to get HICV points - can anyone confirm?

-Scott

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PFD (points for deposit) is not a Holiday Inn CV program, it is an RCI program.

Usually if developer systems have something similar, the conversion to points has to be written into the contract which is written at the time of a developer purchase. Any unit that is or becomes part of the developer system loses its ability to get converted to points. DRI and Wyndham have such programs (Select and PIC).

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
PFD (points for deposit) is not a Holiday Inn CV program, it is an RCI program.

Sorry, I was referring to HICV's program called GlobalChoice, which is based on PFD - you deposit a week at an RCI Weeks resort and get HICV points.

From RCI:

Points for Deposit allows RCI Points subscribing members, who also own an eligible week at an RCI Weeks affiliated resort, to deposit that week with RCI and receive Points for that deposit.

I confirmed that Desert Inn shows up as an RCI Points resort in the RCI resort directory and would not be eligible for PFD or GlobalChoice.

-Scott