• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a dog in training eligible to stay in a hotel/timeshare?

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple by the pool at a resort last week. They had two dogs, one was a puppy. Both dogs had the blue, "in training", vest for a service dog.
I remarked at how cute the puppy was and I asked what the dog was in training for. They said it's a companionship dog. (with a slight tone of defensiveness.)
Are dogs that are in training allowed at resorts where animals are prohibited?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple by the pool at a resort last week. They had two dogs, one was a puppy. Both dogs had the blue, "in training", vest for a service dog.
I remarked at how cute the puppy was and I asked what the dog was in training for. They said it's a companionship dog. (with a slight tone of defensiveness.)
Are dogs that are in training allowed at resorts where animals are prohibited?

In training or not a "companionship dog" is not a service dog

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue is people have abused the "service dog" classification. There was a recent article about how people can now claim that they need a companion dog (not a true service dog) for emotional well-being and according to the article people are getting away with it at hotels/resorts/public places that allow service dogs.

I was at Depot Bay by Worldmark and there were ungodly number of dogs that did not look like service dogs - cute little dogs (knee biters I call them). I enquired with the front desk and I was informed that these days all sorts of "services dogs" are allowed on property, because service dogs have expanded to include companion dogs for emotional support. I went huh?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue is people have abused the "service dog" classification. There was a recent article about how people can now claim that they need a companion dog (not a true service dog) for emotional well-being and according to the article people are getting away with it at hotels/resorts/public places that allow service dogs.

I was at Depot Bay by Worldmark and there were ungodly number of dogs that did not look like service dogs - cute little dogs (knee biters I call them). I enquired with the front desk and I was informed that these days all sorts of "services dogs" are allowed on property, because service dogs have expanded to include companion dogs for emotional support. I went huh?

I think the person at the front dest meant to say, "we welcome service dogs as defined by the ADA but we can only ask two questions when someone arrives with a dog 1) is your dog a service dog? and 2)what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?>> We are not allowed to ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task".

To further complicate things for the staff there is a broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act and a broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act. If the resort is considered "housing" and it probably is if the recent worldmark rule change regarding adults only hours at the pools is any indication. It is quite possible that the ADA rules dont apply and the FHA rules do.

So it is quite possible that the dogs you see at the Worldmark resorts are not service animals and the owners are lying about it. Easy to do, Whats not so easy is catching them in that lie and tossing them off the property. Its easier and smarter to just give them their keys and offer them a plastic bag for the poop

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron is correct, it is a very touchy situation. We are aware that people are printing "companion dog or emotional support dog" certificates from the internet. They are presenting these certificates and gaining access to timeshares. It may be wise for the Board of Directors of each timeshare to establish rules. Perhaps a fee for the cleaning necessary, as the next guest may have an allergy.

I'm thinking of declaring one of my cats an "emotional support cat" and taking him along with me. :D

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ron is correct, it is a very touchy situation. We are aware that people are printing "companion dog or emotional support dog" certificates from the internet. They are presenting these certificates and gaining access to timeshares. It may be wise for the Board of Directors of each timeshare to establish rules. Perhaps a fee for the cleaning necessary, as the next guest may have an allergy.

I'm thinking of declaring one of my cats an "emotional support cat" and taking him along with me. :D

I booked a hotel stay for one night in NH,when I was looking at the room choices they had "pet friendly rooms" offered in a separate area of the hotel. I do not have a pet, but have family and friends who like to bring Fido along. They are charging $ 25 dollars extra for the pet room. Have noticed timeshares that are pet friendly too. I don't mind as long as we are not put in a pet friendly room after one has been there. Just like I request non smoking room. Lots of places now are non smoking resorts. Which to me is more of an improvement, now if we can just say no smoking on balconies, porches etc..
My 2 cents!
Silentg

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I service cat will never pass as a service dog and according to th ADA only dogs qualify

And it's more difficult to get documentation for an "emotional support" dog than a "service" dog. You need a letter from a shrink for the emotional support dog. There is no requirement for a service dog. By the way a service dog vest and ID is an easy thing to buy online too

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Ron lost his sense of humor. Has anyone found it?:D

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the person at the front dest meant to say, "we welcome service dogs as defined by the ADA but we can only ask two questions when someone arrives with a dog 1) is your dog a service dog? and 2)what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?>> We are not allowed to ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task".

To further complicate things for the staff there is a broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act and a broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act. If the resort is considered "housing" and it probably is if the recent worldmark rule change regarding adults only hours at the pools is any indication. It is quite possible that the ADA rules dont apply and the FHA rules do.

So it is quite possible that the dogs you see at the Worldmark resorts are not service animals and the owners are lying about it. Easy to do, Whats not so easy is catching them in that lie and tossing them off the property. Its easier and smarter to just give them their keys and offer them a plastic bag for the poop

Wow! This sucks!
And yet at the same time, now I find myself wondering why I pay our pet-sitter $100 every time we go away for a week.
How can I get our little poodle mix qualified as a "service dog"?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the people who work at the resorts are not educated as to what a service animal is. They think an emotional support dog is the same thing as a service dog. It is not. While there are federal rules about allowing service animals everywhere, nobody ever has to allow a companion dog or an emotional support animal anywhere. As long as management chooses not to teach the front desk the very simple difference, anyone can order a vest and a certificate and bring their dog.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can I get our little poodle mix qualified as a "service dog"?

You cannot get your pet qualified as a service dog, but you can very easily get her qualified as an emotional support animal and it seems like more timeshares will allow that.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who very conscientiously raises service dogs (and they do put a lot of work into it because it is really important to them to raise a dog that will pass muster and help others). It burns them no end to know that other people are abusing the practice with false certificates, etc.

Recently we were on an airline flight and at the last minute someone came on board with a pit bull. No cape, the dog started wandering the aisles, the person's documentation was a piece of paper torn out of a notebook with something from a computer printed on it. Eventually the airline supervisor had to allow him to continue after forcing some people to change seats so that the dog could at least be somewhat confined.

Could this have been legitimate? Maybe, but it really looked suspicious.

I don't know what can be done about the abuses when others are trying to do good. It is sad that some people are so self-centered.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently we were on an airline flight and at the last minute someone came on board with a pit bull. No cape, the dog started wandering the aisles, the person's documentation was a piece of paper torn out of a notebook with something from a computer printed on it. Eventually the airline supervisor had to allow him to continue after forcing some people to change seats so that the dog could at least be somewhat confined.

Airlines are very different than other places. Airlines allow companion animals which can be any type of animal that you say brings you comfort enough to fly. It could be a pocket pet, a snake, a buffalo, anything... as long as you have a doctor's note (which you can get easily) that says you need the animal with you to fly.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree, I have allergies and both dogs and cats hairs trigger my allergies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know what can be done about the abuses when others are trying to do good. It is sad that some people are so self-centered.

I would have left the plane as I am TERRIFIED of pit bills. Then not sure what else I would do, other then write a nasty letter to the CEO & COO of the airline, seek psychological help and then sue the airline with the doctor's note. :D

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Ron lost his sense of humor. Has anyone found it?:D

I understand the joke and i think its funny (sad funny) that so many folks get upset about this issue. I travel with my dog and have no problem finding pet friendly accommodations.

People lie, and they get away with it, Its not something that bothers me.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
In 2012 we had the tenant from hell living in our backyard in our guest house. One Sunday afternoon during her last month with us she showed up with a lowlife legal aid person, a dog handler, and a pit bull and claimed the dog was a companion animal. We called the police and while waiting for them thought to call a friend of a friend who is a lawyer. She told us to immediately go tell the tenant that she could have the dog. We did that and the dog was gone in ten minutes, never to be seen again. All a big charade to add to her bogus case against us (because I had also stolen her identity and Cliff had sexually assaulted her) while we were evicting her.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the joke and i think its funny (sad funny) that so many folks get upset about this issue. I travel with my dog and have no problem finding pet friendly accommodations.

People lie, and they get away with it, Its not something that bothers me.

Fair enough, Ron.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I would have left the plane as I am TERRIFIED of pit bills. Then not sure what else I would do, other then write a nasty letter to the CEO & COO of the airline, seek psychological help and then sue the airline with the doctor's note. :D
On a cruise last year we were talking with a lady at dinner who related a recent flight she had. She had the window seat and the gal sitting in the middle seat had a fairly large dog with her on her lap! It was a "comfort dog" she said. The lady in the window seat had brought her lunch and had a hard time eating her sandwich as the dog wanted it.

The flight attendant later told her that if she had complained, she would be the one who would be asked to leave. The dog would stay.

This is getting ridiculous!

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Companion dogs are everywhere....

I love dogs, but would never think to take ours to a timeshare vacation. After all, not everyone feels the same about pets. (True service animals are a different story.) Also, I would think the disturbance dogs can make would be a deterrent to any pet owner: all dogs have the potential to bark and bite. I would not want my dog to make other vacationers uncomfortable - nor would I want to be the recipient of criticism (silent or otherwise) while on vacation. I have two family members that have strong allergies to some pets, therefore, our pet was selected with these allergies in mind. If they had to stay in a timeshare where a pet that caused their allergies to react, it would be a difficult situation for us. I don't understand how a resort could overlook this possibly when allowing pets to stay. What about the resort's liability if a dog bites someone? Be that as it may, I saw a women with her pet poodle in her grocery cart the other day (in the store).....and two dogs were on my last flight (one quite large, one lap sized) with the same family.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On a cruise last year we were talking with a lady at dinner who related a recent flight she had. She had the window seat and the gal sitting in the middle seat had a fairly large dog with her on her lap! It was a "comfort dog" she said. The lady in the window seat had brought her lunch and had a hard time eating her sandwich as the dog wanted it.

The flight attendant later told her that if she had complained, she would be the one who would be asked to leave. The dog would stay.

Yep, that was in the article that I read. It is called reverse discrimination on normal people. We all need to get our own disability in order not to be discriminated against. I think I should go to my doctor to certify my disability as having an extreme fear of dogs and unreasonable people. Then in this case I would not be thrown out of the plane if I had complained against the dog sitting next to me.

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

That's the story of our society: "it's all about me." Unfortunately, that's true about taking a pet anywhere it suits them because "people who don't like pets are obviously weird." It's true about people who put their feet on top of seats in the movie theater; it's true about all those of us who decide "the rules don't really apply to me." Why? "Because I don't want them to."

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I find it strange that in a society where new laws are being enacted in mass, that none of the legislators choose to tackle the issue. If someone sneaks in a non-service animal and lies about it, I think that the legitimate owners are losing something. Maybe the legislators are ignorant of the issue.

A few years ago I was at a Marriott and a yong puppy was out of control and was biting people. I asked the owner if the dog was a service dog. They said that he was. I asked them what two physical tasks he could perform and I was told that he would like the owner on the cheek to provide emotional support (wrong answer). Luckily someone at Marriott figured out that a 4 month old puppy probably didn't go through nearly a year of training to become a legitimate service dog.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ridiculous indeed. I would hate to have to sit next to someone eating a sandwich They have restaurants and sandwich shops in the airport for a reason

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it strange that in a society where new laws are being enacted in mass, that none of the legislators choose to tackle the issue. If someone sneaks in a non-service animal and lies about it, I think that the legitimate owners are losing something. Maybe the legislators are ignorant of the issue.

A few years ago I was at a Marriott and a yong puppy was out of control and was biting people. I asked the owner if the dog was a service dog. They said that he was. I asked them what two physical tasks he could perform and I was told that he would like the owner on the cheek to provide emotional support (wrong answer). Luckily someone at Marriott figured out that a 4 month old puppy probably didn't go through nearly a year of training to become a legitimate service dog.

Why do they have to be trained to do two tasks. One should be enough.

You ran into a bad lied. The need to be taught to always use the word "service". when challenged. The lie I would tell is that my dog is trained to warn me when she senses an impending anxiety attack due to my PTSD