• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Father just died, mom has dementia

Beachdaughter

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father passed away 2 weeks ago and my mom has dementia. I need to get rid of their 3 Wyndham time shares. They had 4 but luckily my dad was able to get rid of one last year. All I have is the statement from Wyndham. I don't know what all the contract info means and even where to begin. I have a deed for 2 of the 3 properties. I've read all I can but it is so overwhelming.

How do I learn about everything that is needed in order to sell? I'm willing to get rid of all for $1 but I can't even post because I don't have all the info. Should I call Wyndham? I don't want to hear high pressure sales tactics. I live at the beach and don't want these time shares. My mom doesn't need the monthly fees. I know enough not to go with a company that you have to pay up front fees to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
PS. Properties- Smokey Mtns, Santa Barbara, Shawnee Village

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My father passed away 2 weeks ago and my mom has dementia. I need to get rid of their 3 Wyndham time shares. They had 4 but luckily my dad was able to get rid of one last year. All I have is the statement from Wyndham. I don't know what all the contract info means and even where to begin. I have a deed for 2 of the 3 properties. I've read all I can but it is so overwhelming.

How do I learn about everything that is needed in order to sell? I'm willing to get rid of all for $1 but I can't even post because I don't have all the info. Should I call Wyndham? I don't want to hear high pressure sales tactics. I live at the beach and don't want these time shares. My mom doesn't need the monthly fees. I know enough not to go with a company that you have to pay up front fees to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
PS. Properties- Smokey Mtns, Santa Barbara, Shawnee Village

I am very sorry for your loss. My own Dad's passing a few years ago was (and remains) the greatest and saddest loss in my life to date.

My suggestion would be to contact Wyndham corporate in FL (not the individual resorts) by phone weekdays, during business hours, all available contract info in hand. Explain the situation and ask about their "Ovation" program, in which Wyndham may accept the deeds back at little or no cost and minimum investment of time or effort on your part. I am personally familiar only with the Santa Barbara property in FL, but I frankly doubt that the ownerships actually have enough collective value for you to consider undertaking the bother, effort, advertising gyrations and time required to even attempt to sell them in the resale market. Additionally, if sold privately (or even if just given away for free), Wyndham would still require a $299 transfer fee per deed after any such private sale deed was recorded in applicable County records.

Wyndham will talk you through the Ovation "deedback" process. They will almost certainly want to be provided with an affidavit of death, since your late father's name is most likely on all of the remaining deeds.

Good luck and again, sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, and sorry also for the negative news below:

Hoping proper estate planning was done in advance to hold the timeshares in a trust or LLC, otherwise I'm afraid you'll have a very difficult road ahead. Not sure if Wyndham's Ovation will be the answer, but keeping my fingers crossed for you.

If the deeds are in your father's name, probate may be an issue.. Even if the properties were deeded in both names, with the mother's health issues there will likely still be problems conveying title. Because the ownership appears to be spread among several states- a probate process is likely required in each state. Even giving them away may not be easy, due to the legal costs involved.

If the combined annual allotment makes them a gold or platinum VIP, you may find that simply renting the points each year to pay the m. fees is the best route to take.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, and sorry also for the negative news below:

Hoping proper estate planning was done in advance to hold the timeshares in a trust or LLC, otherwise I'm afraid you'll have a very difficult road ahead. Not sure if Wyndham's Ovation will be the answer, but keeping my fingers crossed for you.

If the deeds are in your father's name, probate may be an issue.. Even if the properties were deeded in both names, with the mother's health issues there will likely still be problems conveying title. Because the ownership appears to be spread among several states- a probate process is likely required in each state. Even giving them away may not be easy, due to the legal costs involved.

If the combined annual allotment makes them a gold or platinum VIP, you may find that simply renting the points each year to pay the m. fees is the best route to take.

If the deeds are in both spouses names and Mom is still capable of signing her name before a notary and an affidavit of death gets prepared and provided in regard to Dad's passing, with all due respect I am inclined to believe that probate would be both irrelevant and unnecessary to complete a lawful transfer.

I have seen several instances in which a widow or widower successfully sold and transferred timeshare weeks in which both spouses were named on the deed as husband and wife (i.e., no LLC or trust involved). With an affidavit of death prepared and filed, sale and transfer by the surviving spouse was effected in these instances just as easily as in most any other routine, garden variety resale timeshare transaction at this time.

I don't get the impression that the OP is at all interested in keeping / managing / renting out timeshares or points, but I could certainly be mistaken on that point.

Last edited:

Beachdaughter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks- more info

Proper estate planning was not done. The 2 deeds I found are in both of my parents names. I really don't want to rent them out because eventually I will inherit them. It seems like a lot of hassle for the $2200 a year she is now paying. We did NOT probate his will because everything was joint. I never thought about the properties being in 3 different states, all different from AL where my mom lives. Mom is capable of signing; it's her short term memory that is gone and she wants to get rid of the timeshares. I have POA over her if that makes any difference.

How do I find out if the combined annual allotment is gold or platinum? I seriously doubt it is either of those as I don't see anything when I log in to their account.

I will start by calling Wyndham directly. My mom is OK paying the $299 transfer fee to Wyndham to get rid of them if we have to sell them for $1.

I appreciate all your help and will keep you updated. Thanks again.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tribute is the Wyndham program to transfer parents' deed into your name for FREE ... (or just about free ... waiving the $299 fee).

Ovations is Wyndham taking your parents ownership back ... that is ALL FREE.

Do a TUG search for Ovations and Tribute for the common thread and posts.

PS Sign onto the Wyndham Member Number online and it will immediately show if you are VIP, VIP GOLD, VIP Platinum.

hk4481

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Call an Ovation by Wyndham representative today at 855-312-9040
to learn more about the options* available to you."

I copied the above from the Wyndham website. I was able to give one of my Wyndham timeshares back through Ovation & it was very simple and quick.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> I really don't want to rent them out because eventually I will inherit them. <snip>

That's not necessarily true, accurate or a legitimate concern. If you are not actually named on the deeds (any and all will content or references notwithstanding), you can certainly always disclaim any such unwanted inheritance in the future, when that time comes.

Just the same, my initial advice remains completely unchanged. I would actively (and promptly) pursue Wyndham's "Ovation" program, completely divest your mother of these contractual obligations ASAP through Ovation, then turn around and walk (...or run, if you prefer) away from these timeshares and don't look back, since you have indicated no interest in using or managing them. It will be easy to accomplish now, but it won't be easy later; a personal opinion based upon relevant experience.

P.S. Your PoA matters not much (if at all) at this time. Help your mother to get out now via Ovation, while she is still of mostly sound mind and able to participate.
Never mind the silver/ gold / platinum/ diamond nonsense. These are not "high end" ownerships or properties and the "level" distinction is not important, IMnsHO.
Get laser-focused on getting your mother out --- now and cleanly, via Wyndham's Ovation program --- while still available and relatively easy to accomplish.

Again, just my own personal opinion, to evaluate, absorb or ignore as you may see fit. Inaction now will absolutely guarantee additional complexity later. Good luck.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Smoky Mountains may actually have some value to you and it would be relatively easy to find a buyer on TUG. Santa Barbara would be a good sell to the right person. Poconos should be a great candidate for deedback via Ovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... <snip> Poconos should be a great candidate for deedback via Ovation. <snip>
Shawnee is great if you live in the area. If you are the owner, your family gets DAY USAGE at the resort. The resort has a large gym and a beautiful indoor year round pool (lap lane usage starts at 7:30AM each morning) plus 2 outdoor summer pools and tennis courts.

Checkin at the front desk to verify ownership, get a wrist band and enjoy.

If this is in points and your point value is over 160,000 ... you have a low MF to points ratio.

I have one deed for 166K and the other for 175K ... have stayed there .. enjoyed the resort's adult ativities (wine & karoke is a favorite, ice cream sundies, bingo, etc... the usual)...but very well attended.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to rent them out because eventually I will inherit them.

You do not have to inherit them if you don't want them. Even though you are the named beneficiary in a will, you don't have to accept the bequest.

So if you don't want them (or even if you're not sure whether or not you want them)) you should follow up on the possibility of disposing of them now.

Based on what you have mentioned so far in this thread, even if you're uncertain whether or not you want them, I suggest you get rid of them if you have the option. Then take your time and learn. If you decide you do want them or equivalent, you can probably pickup something equivalent for little or no money. OTOH, if you do accept them you will be stuck with the obligations before you have an adequate chance to decide if that is what you want.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Ovation is available, it is the best option...

Based on the fees you mentioned, it's doubtful they are gold or platinum level owners- which makes the rental option far more difficult.

If the accounts qualify for Ovation and your mother's health is stable, that is your best option. Contact Wyndham and start the process asap. You may also want to research the POA documentation requirements for each state where the property is located, to ensure the paperwork you have is sufficient for each transfer process. Taking over the process with the POA will be the best and easiest route for your mother, and give her one less hurdle to worry about during this period. Be aware that you'll also need to record an affidavit of death and a certified copy of the death certificate with each new deed. Again, different states have different requirements for these two documents- so take the time to research the acceptable templates.

Finally, three quick things to be aware of:

Make sure any phone calls you and your mother receive about your timeshare are from legitimate contacts.. There are numerous vultures who will target her with scams, especially if her mental health is in question. ANY telemarketing calls you receive about the timeshares will be scams!

Be a little cautious when dealing with the timeshare developer as well. Many developers have a "recovery" dept that focuses on attempting to convince family members to accept the ongoing financial responsibilities of the timeshare. Wyndham's new deed-back programs should certainly be applauded as positive change, but if a rep recommends a different strategy than relinquishment- a healthy dose of skepticism may be wise.

Finally, you stated that you believe you'll inherit the timeshares. I'm sure that someone has already mentioned that can be avoided. If ovation doesn't work, and you end up with one of more deeds that you cannot give away- don't be fooled or pressured with the misinformation that you don't have a choice.

Proper estate planning was not done. The 2 deeds I found are in both of my parents names. I really don't want to rent them out because eventually I will inherit them. It seems like a lot of hassle for the $2200 a year she is now paying. We did NOT probate his will because everything was joint. I never thought about the properties being in 3 different states, all different from AL where my mom lives. Mom is capable of signing; it's her short term memory that is gone and she wants to get rid of the timeshares. I have POA over her if that makes any difference.

How do I find out if the combined annual allotment is gold or platinum? I seriously doubt it is either of those as I don't see anything when I log in to their account.

I will start by calling Wyndham directly. My mom is OK paying the $299 transfer fee to Wyndham to get rid of them if we have to sell them for $1.

I appreciate all your help and will keep you updated. Thanks again.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the fees you mentioned, it's doubtful they are gold or platinum level owners- which makes the rental option far more difficult.

If the accounts qualify for Ovation and your mother's health is stable, that is your best option. Contact Wyndham and start the process asap. You may also want to research the POA documentation requirements for each state where the property is located, to ensure the paperwork you have is sufficient for each transfer process. Taking over the process with the POA will be the best and easiest route for your mother, and give her one less hurdle to worry about during this period. Be aware that you'll also need to record an affidavit of death and a certified copy of the death certificate with each new deed. Again, different states have different requirements for these two documents- so take the time to research the acceptable templates.

Finally, three quick things to be aware of:

Make sure any phone calls you and your mother receive about your timeshare are from legitimate contacts.. There are numerous vultures who will target her with scams, especially if her mental health is in question. ANY telemarketing calls you receive about the timeshares will be scams!

Be a little cautious when dealing with the timeshare developer as well. Many developers have a "recovery" dept that focuses on attempting to convince family members to accept the ongoing financial responsibilities of the timeshare. Wyndham's new deed-back programs should certainly be applauded as positive change, but if a rep recommends a different strategy than relinquishment- a healthy dose of skepticism may be wise.

Finally, you stated that you believe you'll inherit the timeshares. I'm sure that someone has already mentioned that can be avoided. If ovation doesn't work, and you end up with one of more deeds that you cannot give away- don't be fooled or pressured with the misinformation that you don't have a choice.

While your warning about someone recommending a strategy other than giveback, if the properties qualify for the ovation program, Wyndham is eager to have them back. I have disposed of 3 contracts through Ovation and it is an easy process. Wyndham takes care of everything, you do not even have to supply a copy of the deed. The only thing the OP would need to do is have some documents notarized. (and I would assume provide proof of death).