• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt or Hilton?

jytung

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRC Maui - Ka'anapali Beach
HGVC-King's Land
We bought a week for every other year at Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach last year. We really love it and plan to use it every time. We are interested in getting another week so we get to go to other places when we are not in Maui and without trading our Maui unit. Does anyone have any advice on if we should buy another Hyatt or try Hilton? We have a school age boy, so our travel time will be limited to when school is out. We are very new at this, so any advice will be appreciated.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As for Hilton: Their system is very flexible and, from what I've read, they treat resale owners better than anyone else -- all the rights and perks of original owners, except only that resale points don't count toward elite status (which isn't worth the extra cost, anyway). But otherwise, there's no difference.

Likes: Uniformly high-quality resorts and an online booking process is nearly hotel-like, with a 3N minimum for "club" reservations that start 9-months out (2N minimum last-minute bookings available for cash). An included RCI "club" account that does not require advance deposits.

Dislikes: Concentrated in limited destinations (improving), no online access to their affiliated (non-HGVC) resorts, high MF's and no say in management (as with any hotel-system).

You can see their resort collection here: http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/explore/
You can see their members' guide here: http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We own HGVC in Hawaii, and are quite happy our ownership, I am not that familiar with Hyatt, but was under the impression they have fewer locations than some of the other programs.

Where are you based, and what destinations are you interested in vacationing? Mostly Hawaii or other destinations as well? I would suggest you look at the locations HGVC, Hyatt or another other brand like Marriott has to offer.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are stuck to the school year, buy where you want to go. I am in the rofr period on a Hyatt right now, but own several others. Hilton is a wonderful system and it will get you access to RCI so you can get both exchange companies, however, like Hyatt, they are limited in locations. If you like Hawaii Vegas and Orlando, you are all set. Although HGVC IS getting better about opening new locations, so their future looks bright. Starwood (mandatory unit) would work, but trades in II. I have never purchased Marriott, and that is because they really treat resale week owners differently, and their points packages are priced too high for my taste. For the best future flexibility I would buy a week or season in a resort you would be happy to stay in, but that comes with points for flexibility when you want a different vacation, no matter which system you choose.

jytung

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRC Maui - Ka'anapali Beach
HGVC-King's Land
We are in Bay Area, CA. Hilton's point system seem pretty flexible and have places we like to go (Hawaii, Orlando...), but since we already own Hyatt, we weren't sure if we should just buy more Hyatt, so it gives us more flexibility within the Hyatt system, but they have limited locations. A lot to think about. Thank you for your tips! TUG is great!

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Bay Area, CA. Hilton's point system seem pretty flexible and have places we like to go (Hawaii, Orlando...), but since we already own Hyatt, we weren't sure if we should just buy more Hyatt, so it gives us more flexibility within the Hyatt system, but they have limited locations. A lot to think about. Thank you for your tips! TUG is great!

There is a rapidly diminishing return for further investment in a small system.

Think of how any additional timeshare would complement what you have (or plan to have). In my case, I have Wyndham, which has a large East Coast presence, and WorldMark, which has a heavy West Coast presence.

I had thought about expanding into HGVC, but this overlaps what I already have with few new locations.

If you are on the West Coast, take a look at WorldMark. It is THE most flexible system around (and I have researched many) and the maintenance fees are among the lowest for any size able system. The resort's are located in places where no other TS system has a presence: Yellowstone and the Pacific Northwest coast/mountains for example.

It doesn't have the HGVC level of amenities, but it is all about affordability and location. And if you truly want to splurge on luxury, they do have Presidential units available for booking.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at a Marriott, Hyatt, Worldmark, and Starwood. I can confirm that Worldmark is the most flexible with a lot optionality in terms of usage (RCI, II) and domestic destinations. Many Worldmarks are less luxurious than the resorts that I have mentioned. That said, I use Worldmark more than the others due to its flexibility so I really appreciate it. Hyatt is good but the limited number of destinations means that you need to know how you want to use it before buying additional weeks.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk