• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carlsbad area- what to do for a week?

njmacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. We will be at the Grand Pacific Palisades next week with a car and was wondering- what kind of day trips can we do from there? Just 2 adults. Thanks.

mrbigolwillee

Reaction score
The Oceanside pier. San Diego zoo and/or safari park. Balboa park. Lego land. There's so much to do there y'all will have a blast. We've taken the kids (3 & 5) there the last two years. Also GPP has great pools and Rec areas. I think they have free wine tastings at least once a week. Also the Segway yours in SD are really fun and there's often coupons for them on Living Social or Groupon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
USS Midway tour in San Diego.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you like beer, book a beer tasting tour. Between Oceanside and Escondido are some of the finest along Hop Highway.

It's a great time of year for surfing lessons.

Take a drive up to Julian for a day and have some apple pie.

Cruise the coast highway from Carlsbad down to La Jolla and back.

Eat at Land & Water company in Carlsbad.

Drive down to Swami's and wander around.

Listen to live music at The Kraken or the Belly Up Tavern.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Go to the beach.

Try SUP or surfing. Lots of places to do a surfing lesson. Carlsbad is known for all the lagoons. They are nice and calm - great for SUP. You can also do jetskis and paddle boats or other fun things in the lagoons.

Take a whale watching cruise.

Go out to Catalina and go snorkeling.

Take the train to a ballgame. Get a great view on the ride and don't worry about parking or driving after drinking. Looks like you have lots of Dodgers games available that week (Padres have most of their games away that week).
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/schedule/?c_id=la

Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, Magic Mountain... etc... lots of theme parks within an hour or two.

Drive up to Laguna Beach and explore the fantastic tide pools.
http://www.visitlagunabeach.com/things-to-do/outdoors/tide-pools/

Rent bikes and ride around. Lots of nice trails.

Go for a hike or two. http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/depts/parks/open/trails/locations.asp

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Another vote for the train, the shuttle will take you to the Poinsettia station and its $5.50 round trip senior rate. We enjoy a trip to Old Town and lunch at Old Town Mexican Cafe, there is a station right there.

http://www.gonctd.com/coaster

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The San Diego County Fair is running through July 4th http://www.sdfair.com/ The fair is also going to affect your drive heading up or down the 5 into San Diego proper. The freeway gets congested because of the additional fair traffic, so plan your trip for off-times - maybe after 9:30 in the morning, and returning after 6:30 in the evening. Or better yet, just take the train.

I second the Midway. Excellent tours. Within walking distance is my favorite hole-in-the-wall mexican food place - Mexican Fiesta. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mexican-fiesta-san-diego Read the reviews for tips - there is no onsite seating (but there is public seating areas across the street) and they are cash only, but imho eating here is a fun San Diego thing to do.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What types of things do you like to do? We have pretty much everything for a person with a car.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The San Diego County Fair is running through July 4th http://www.sdfair.com/ The fair is also going to affect your drive heading up or down the 5 into San Diego proper. The freeway gets congested because of the additional fair traffic, so plan your trip for off-times - maybe after 9:30 in the morning, and returning after 6:30 in the evening. Or better yet, just take the train.

I second the Midway. Excellent tours. Within walking distance is my favorite hole-in-the-wall mexican food place - Mexican Fiesta. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mexican-fiesta-san-diego Read the reviews for tips - there is no onsite seating (but there is public seating areas across the street) and they are cash only, but imho eating here is a fun San Diego thing to do.

That reminds me the fair is over in a week! Thank God!

I'm ready to send the hillbillies inland. Can't drive on the coast right now with that redneck festival clogging up the roads. ;-)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That reminds me the fair is over in a week! Thank God!

I'm ready to send the hillbillies inland. Can't drive on the coast right now with that redneck festival clogging up the roads. ;-)
Sometimes I think that I am the only person in San Diego that hates the fair. I feel like a fish out of water this time of year. :D

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I went to see 3 Doors Down play. Other than that, I avoid it like the plague.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Aw cmon, you know you want a turkey leg and a deep fried twinkie....

We live 3 doors down from OC Fair, going to see the Bowie tribute band.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Aw cmon, you know you want a turkey leg and a deep fried twinkie....

We live 3 doors down from OC Fair, going to see the Bowie tribute band.

I expect to see a picture of you holding a giant ear of corn.