• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Week request - surprising followup call from II

MissRumphius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
I placed a request for II for early 2018 - NOLA during Mardi Gras season but before Mardi Gras week. II called and went thru some song and dance about paying fees by the end of the year and maybe no availablility - wouldn't I like to request another week.

What's behind this? Trying to get me into a less popular destination? Fear they'll have to give the fee back cause I don't get my request?

I haven't done a lot of requests - is this normal II business?

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
HAHA They are driving me crazy with a request we have in place. We deposited a week. I am requesting a week in Cabo in Jan or Aruba in June. Specific resorts. Specific weeks to match the weeks we own. They called me Friday with alternate for Aruba. Saturday they called once to tell me "we are working on your requests" and "why don't you have II fees set up to auto renew?" Then they called later Saturday with another alternate. I said "why don't you offer me Branson in January????"

I confirmed that I couldn't take alternates. They said no more calls.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I placed a request for II for early 2018 - NOLA during Mardi Gras season but before Mardi Gras week. II called and went thru some song and dance about paying fees by the end of the year and maybe no availablility - wouldn't I like to request another week.

What's behind this? Trying to get me into a less popular destination? Fear they'll have to give the fee back cause I don't get my request?

I haven't done a lot of requests - is this normal II business?

Yes, it's normal for them. However, if you tell them firmly to put a note in your file not to call you, they won't call you.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be a shock if they weren't calling you. Some of these people work out of their house and receive commission on getting you to pull off an exchange. If you want the calls to stop you can change your number in your profile. The real powers that be can still access your phone number to call you if there is something actually important.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It would be a shock if they weren't calling you. Some of these people work out of their house and receive commission on getting you to pull off an exchange. If you want the calls to stop you can change your number in your profile. The real powers that be can still access your phone number to call you if there is something actually important.
I'm in a quandary about this since the new upgrade fee change. If they need to contact you to approve an upgrade with a fee, aren't we going to have to give them our real number? Right now I have them going to my old home phone number - the volume of calls that I get from them and RCI is ridiculous. I clear out the messages every day or two. The last thing that I want to do is give them my cell number.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
So, apparently asking them not to call doesn't work. They just called again. The rep said the system autodials and connects to an available rep. So, what happens if I don't talk to them? It seems as if a match is made for me that has to be released. Are my actual resorts/time frames in limbo while they hold an alternative?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in a quandary about this since the new upgrade fee change. If they need to contact you to approve an upgrade with a fee, aren't we going to have to give them our real number? Right now I have them going to my old home phone number - the volume of calls that I get from them and RCI is ridiculous. I clear out the messages every day or two. The last thing that I want to do is give them my cell number.

I do not know for certain in all cases but one time I had completely removed my phone numbers. I entered obvious dummy numbers. I no longer received any of the really annoying "alternative" match calls. But then I got a call from someone that sounded very competent. It was for a direct match in New Orleans. The guy said an automatic match was not allowed because the resort has no onsite parking. Somehow he found my number. Probably from the history.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I had a problem with this in the past. I know how it worked before this upgrade for a fee but not sure about it now. If the system matched exactly what you asked for it would automatically confirm the match and send you an email. If something similar came up it would be put on hold.

The problem I had with the auto dialers is they never even had near matches. It would call me, I would pick up and at that point it would connect me with an agent who then looked up my account information and basically had me hold while they checked and then would come back to say nothing has matched on your ongoing search, we will continue to search. Would you like to add or change anything on your requests. Can I help you with anything else, would you like to extend you membership or platinum membership I see it is expiring on X date. Basically they called me for nothing and would do so mostly on Friday's but occasionally on other days and sometimes 2-4 times a day. Some would go to message which they never left any and sometimes I would speak to 2 or 3 different agents a day telling me they are calling to let me know nothing has matched.

I was told that I had to send the request in writing (email to customer service was fine) asking not to be called and acknowledging that I would not be called to offered any near matches. They have not called since then.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had this happen a few months back. The guy was literally stumbling around and did not have any idea before hand what I requested. He was going off about other stuff that wasn't even remotely in the area. It was like "where in the world would you be interested in going?". I said I placed a request online so I did not have to explain all of this. He kept prodding so I hung up.

It is ridiculous. I think they have this group of contract type employees out of their houses that are working almost purely on commission. It is not the same group as the call center reps. You have the foreign call center group, the US based call center group, and then the "work at home" commission people. Too much chaos with little actual customer service.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, apparently asking them not to call doesn't work. They just called again. The rep said the system autodials and connects to an available rep. So, what happens if I don't talk to them? It seems as if a match is made for me that has to be released. Are my actual resorts/time frames in limbo while they hold an alternative?

From the RCI side, I pretty much experienced the same thing you did. (Irritating repeat calls asking if you want to deposit something, combine something, or get an exchange.) At one time, we could adjust our profile to stop at-home calls, but I could no longer find that. So, I emailed tech support and asked them to help me & they said it would take some time for our name to fall off the callers' lists.

The folks who call are always very nice, but I told them I like to manage all of that myself online and keep on top of my account.

MissRumphius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
I had a problem with this in the past. I know how it worked before this upgrade for a fee but not sure about it now. If the system matched exactly what you asked for it would automatically confirm the match and send you an email. If something similar came up it would be put on hold.

The problem I had with the auto dialers is they never even had near matches. It would call me, I would pick up and at that point it would connect me with an agent who then looked up my account information and basically had me hold while they checked and then would come back to say nothing has matched on your ongoing search, we will continue to search. Would you like to add or change anything on your requests. Can I help you with anything else, would you like to extend you membership or platinum membership I see it is expiring on X date. Basically they called me for nothing and would do so mostly on Friday's but occasionally on other days and sometimes 2-4 times a day. Some would go to message which they never left any and sometimes I would speak to 2 or 3 different agents a day telling me they are calling to let me know nothing has matched.

I was told that I had to send the request in writing (email to customer service was fine) asking not to be called and acknowledging that I would not be called to offered any near matches. They have not called since then.
This sounds just like the call I received. After I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that if it was really important they could/would either send me a message or leave a voice mail!!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Honestly, my last two calls from II were fairly decent and reasonable attempts

One call advised me that a studio was available (a whole year out) and suggested that it would be a good option for making reservations and upgrading later (as I did last year...just not at 12 mos out)

Another call reminded me that I had one property on search for XX number of resorts and another Marriott property only looking at 2 resorts, and would I like to add the other selections from my other search.... (not yet; trying to get Marrriot exchange fee).

In both cases, the calls were reasonable, respectful and not-pushy.

Ask me again in 5 years if I still like them.....;)