• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to purchase SVV or SBP

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all! :wave:

I have been bitten by the timeshare bug! I currently have 2, one for trading and one for use, and am looking to pick up my first Starwood. I want to be abled to trade into Atlantis every other year. We have never owned or traveled with Starwood outside of Sheraton or Westin hotels on rare occasions, we usually go Holiday Inn Express when we travel outside timeshare. I am asking a few of things from seasoned owners:

Is it easier to trade in on Staroptions than with a fixed week via II? I'm betting the answer is yes, but I want to make sure. I am looking at a 2BR Gold Plus week at SBP or a Mandatory week at SVV.

From what I gather, II will increase trade cost, but the MF + trade cost + II membership are comparable to the MFs + starwood membership for the Staroptions, so it seems like a wash to me. Are there reservation costs when using Staroptions? I haven't seen anything to indicate that, but I want to make sure.

If you want more than a week, with the new Staroptions system, do the weeks open up daily at midnight 8 months out or does it open the week on the typical checkin days (fri sat sun)? That just seems confusing, so for example if I wanted to book a week wed-wed, does that week open up exactly 8 months out from that wed? Also, what in their calendar constitutes 8 months? 8 calendar months? a certain number of days? I thought I saw this somewhere but I don't remember.

Also, what the heck is this timestamp thing everyone is talking about and what does it have to do with reservations?

Last questions! I know I would want an EOY with SBP. I am considering an EOY Staroptions @ SVV. Are 1/2 the points given each year or are all the points given every other year? I may look into a smaller unit with less *options as an Annual instead of an EOY 81-97.5k just for better flexibility in reserving what I want. Any thoughts? Are MFs lower on less *options in SVV? FYI: it's me, my husband, 7yo boy, and 4yo girl. I don't mind a 1br with a pull-out with them now, but as they get older a 2br would be preferable, and we only want can afford to go to Atlantis (harbor side) every other year (it's not the place to stay, it's all the other stuff!).

BTW, Thank you all who have contributed to the board and created the stickies and such! They have helped me understand Starwood in depth with these few exceptions and now I am looking for advice based on your experiences.

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all! :wave:

Is it easier to trade in on Staroptions than with a fixed week via II? I'm betting the answer is yes, but I want to make sure...

From what I gather, II will increase trade cost, but the MF + trade cost + II membership are comparable to the MFs + starwood membership for the Staroptions, so it seems like a wash to me. Are there reservation costs when using Staroptions? I haven't seen anything to indicate that, but I want to make sure.

If you want more than a week, with the new Staroptions system, do the weeks open up daily at midnight 8 months out or does it open the week on the typical checkin days (fri sat sun)?...

Also, what the heck is this timestamp thing everyone is talking about and what does it have to do with reservations?

Last questions! I know I would want an EOY with SBP. I am considering an EOY Staroptions @ SVV. ...

Are 1/2 the points given each year or are all the points given every other year?...

Are MFs lower on less *options in SVV?...

For high end Starwood properties like Harborside, Hawaii & St. John it is DEFINITELY easier to use StarOptions than II.

You will pay an exchange fee to II each time you exchange through them.

Yes, at 8 months you can make a reservation starting any day.

The time stamp from your request to Starwood is PART of what determines your pecking order for a view, i.e. at Ka'anapali, but most resorts don't have ocean views, so other than Maui, it's not a big deal. Other factors include elite status, owner vs. exchange...

Be careful with assumptions about StarOptions on resales. If you buy SBP, the ONLY way you will get StarOptions is to buy from Starwood. The StarOptions for SBP do not transfer with a resale. At SVV they StarOptions do transfer with resale for deeds on the Bella and Key West sections, but not with the Amelia or St. Augustine sections.

StarOptions are granted in use years. If you own an even year, you get all your StarOptions in even years. You can borrow from the next use year at 90 days out from a reservation if you pay ahead on the maintenence fee. You can also bank unused StarOptions for a fee for use at a later date.

Most properties where the StarOptions transfer have higher fees than those that don't, but not in every case.

I sent you a PM regarding the specifics of two SVV weeks.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
^^^ This ^^^

If you buy a resale Mandatory SVN resort resale - to get SOs to exchange via SVN - then find one that gets you 1) the best SO/MF ratio, 2) at the lowest cost, 3) has a resale value close to what you paid, and 4) is a resort that you do not mind staying at as a HomeResort. IMO

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
For high end Starwood properties like Harborside, Hawaii & St. John it is DEFINITELY easier to use StarOptions than II.

You will pay an exchange fee to II each time you exchange through them.

Yes, at 8 months you can make a reservation starting any day.

The time stamp from your request to Starwood is PART of what determines your pecking order for a view, i.e. at Ka'anapali, but most resorts don't have ocean views, so other than Maui, it's not a big deal. Other factors include elite status, owner vs. exchange...

Be careful with assumptions about StarOptions on resales. If you buy SBP, the ONLY way you will get StarOptions is to buy from Starwood. The StarOptions for SBP do not transfer with a resale. At SVV they StarOptions do transfer with resale for deeds on the Bella and Key West sections, but not with the Amelia or St. Augustine sections.

StarOptions are granted in use years. If you own an even year, you get all your StarOptions in even years. You can borrow from the next use year at 90 days out from a reservation if you pay ahead on the maintenence fee. You can also bank unused StarOptions for a fee for use at a later date.

Most properties where the StarOptions transfer have higher fees than those that don't, but not in every case.

I sent you a PM regarding the specifics of two SVV weeks.

Thanks for answering my questions. I get that SBP is not mandatory and that II charges a fee. I am looking at either gold plus 2br SBP or a SVV Bella or key west star options, just not sure how many or annual or eoy and how many. Is there an exchange fee for using star options in Starwood resorts that are not your home resort?

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^

If you buy a resale Mandatory SVN resort resale - to get SOs to exchange via SVN - then find one that gets you 1) the best SO/MF ratio, 2) at the lowest cost, 3) has a resale value close to what you paid, and 4) is a resort that you do not mind staying at as a HomeResort. IMO

Thanks- all things I planned on if I go that route. :)

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I think the biggest issue is, are you tied to a school schedule. With my SDO I definitely saw HRA this year when the bulk deposit hit but not at times when school is out.

Ian

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theres no staroption booking fee but you pay hefty annual svn membership fee for mandatory resorts.
Also if you cancel your staroptions reservation within 60 days window from check in date, you pay cancellation fee.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Then I would look through the sightings forum. See if the weeks are listed for the places you want to go through II. You never mention if you want to visit SBP or SVV regularly if so then I would go that route as David said. Even if you have star options you always have the option of going through II if that turns out to be more cost effective (ie up trades).

Ian

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theres no staroption booking fee but you pay hefty annual svn membership fee for mandatory resorts.
Also if you cancel your staroptions reservation within 60 days window from check in date, you pay cancellation fee.

I knew about the SVN yearly fee, and for the flexibility I'm willing to pay that. Good to know about the cancelation.

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then I would look through the sightings forum. See if the weeks are listed for the places you want to go through II. You never mention if you want to visit SBP or SVV regularly if so then I would go that route as David said. Even if you have star options you always have the option of going through II if that turns out to be more cost effective (ie up trades).

Ian

SVV I can see myself at, SBP may be harder due to work schedules, though it is closer to get to. So it seems, especially with uptrades being available through II even with star options, that star options are the direction I should take. I am considering Keirland, too, but I just can't see myself ever getting to Arizona.