• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. John-SVN trade

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to try and get early June 2008 and was wondering what size rooms if any would be most available.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I'm looking to try and get early June 2008 and was wondering what size rooms if any would be most available.

You have to wait until 8 months from the date you want to check in to make the ressie. I've never stayed there but hope to one day. GOOD LUCK! Take whatever size villa they have, they are hard to come by!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
You would have to be pretty lucky to get that trade--most of the weeks there are fixed and most people aren't going to trade.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
One would think studios, but I don't know.

Yes - studios and 1Bd villas are more numerous. Also, with the BV section opening - I think you will see more ability to excahnge into WSJ.. Unlike the VG villas - BV villas was held to a certain amount of fixed week ownership.

Be aware - they changed the seasons to different week groupings than VG and only have 2 and 3 Bd villas, but the SOs are cheap compared to some other resorts.

Also - I wrote about this before - something more is going on with VG villas than 'meets the eye' - while there is a claim they are difficult to impossible to exchange into - there are many unused and SVO rented villas during our week (24).

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - studios and 1Bd villas are more numerous. Also, with the BV section opening - I think you will see more ability to excahnge into WSJ.. Unlike the VG villas - BV villas was held to a certain amount of fixed week ownership.

Be aware - they changed the seasons to different week groupings than VG and only have 2 and 3 Bd villas, but the SOs are cheap compared to some other resorts.

Also - I wrote about this before - something more is going on with VG villas than 'meets the eye' - while there is a claim they are difficult to impossible to exchange into - there are many unused and SVO rented villas during our week (24).

Do you think that its becuse its unsold inventory?

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think its the fractional owners

The Hillside WSJ units were originally sold as fractionals; few of those owners use their entire allotment of weeks and either let them sit empty or try to rent them out.

Lori

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Our very first internal trade with our Rancho Mirage Property was into one of the three bedroom villas with our own pool at St. John over Easter week that year. We loved it!!

labonnevie

Reaction score
New Bay Vista Villas

I understand that there will only be 2 and 3 BR villas in the new BV construction.
Does anyone know if these will be lockoffs and there will be the opportunity to rent/exchange into a one bedroom (either premium or studio) portion of the lockoff?
This would certainly free up a lot more opportunity for SO exchanges into WSJ for those of us that could get by with a one bedroom situation.
Also what is the current completion date of these new units? December is the last I heard.
Are they all sold yet?

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi LoriannF,

Many Hillside WSJ were sold as fractionals but some number were also sold as single weeks. I owned a Studio Week 24 that was sold individually. It was a week 24 studio which I sold last year. Did a title search beack to the original deed where it was sold as a single week (versus being split off at some point in time).

My theory is that St. John is just so wonderful that people go each year and use their units.

John

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
John - my prior post said for our week 24 ( 2 years now) - there seems to be quite a few empty units (1Bd/studios) and many SVO rentals.

The new BV will not be LOs.

The SO breakdown for seasons have changed somewhat between VG and BV.

They are still selling BV - not cheap. Whatever date SVO gives for completion - add extra months - things move slowly...

Eventually - the extra villas should loosen up inventory.

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there's still a lot of empty Hillside units

I agree with David and Robin - for our weeks, 17 and 18, the parking lot for the 3 bedrooms is usually pretty empty, and there are few people other than us using the shuttle. If you speak with sales, though, as we've done for the last few years, there are few if any units available for purchase.

I've spoken with a few other people we've met during our weeks there, and many are fractional owners; at least in the 3 beds.

Lori

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first year we owned a Starwood, we traded into the 3 bedroom at WSJ for Presidents Week. Off the laundry room, there was a door that led to a hall with about ten doors - nothing else.

Near the end of the week, having had a fabulous time, I went to the Sales Office to find out if there were any 3 bedroom units available for sale for Presidents Week. They had 2 left and they were $122,000 each - and that was 2005!

I asked what the hallway was about and was told that they were storage rooms for multiple week owners. Now that I know they were sold as fractionals, it makes a bit more sense!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So perhaps it is just some WSJ owners not bothering to use their villas (or SVN exchange, or SP convert, or rent). We met a few people that originally booked the Hotel section and then were 'upgraded' to villas. Also - as I mentioned - empty villas altogether.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get something ,anysize ,if nothings avalable I'll use starpoints and only stay 5 days at the hotel.Thanks for the responces.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, Transit. Good luck!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
waitlisted

I was put on a waitlist......We'll see what happens .Has anyone here made it from the waitlist to a unit?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
waitlist update

I called today to add another date to be waitlisted on .They told me that I need to waitlist for each size unit on each date I request! I didn't know this and there for my first waitlist was for only a 3 bed pool unit. So now the notes were made to reflect each unit size on 4 different dates.That would be 16 waitlists for St John far! The first time I called the operator told me I was # 5 on the waitlist when I called today ( I spoke to 2 different oprs.) they tell me they can't see my waitlist number? thats another dept.:crash: Now I'm on a mission:D

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
It is my understanding that if you make a wait list you usually have a chance. I understand that they put you on a wait list only if they think you have a chance based on past history.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called today to add another date to be waitlisted on .They told me that I need to waitlist for each size unit on each date I request! I didn't know this and there for my first waitlist was for only a 3 bed pool unit. So now the notes were made to reflect each unit size on 4 different dates.That would be 16 waitlists for St John far! The first time I called the operator told me I was # 5 on the waitlist when I called today ( I spoke to 2 different oprs.) they tell me they can't see my waitlist number? thats another dept.:crash: Now I'm on a mission:D

I also got on the waitlist today. She told me that she couldn't see what number I was, but that there were only about six spots total. She did, however, encourage me to consider other locations, so I won't hold my breath for WSJ.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called again this morning .Waitlisted yet another date.Interesting that it was busy on the lines I was on hold for 10 minutes today was the fiirst time this happened so 6/14 must be a heavely requested date.I asked about Princevllie Studios are availableTheir trying to push Cancun lots of availabilty there.Operator also told me Aruba is not bookable till 2010.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully something will come thru for you. I read too many times of no availability at St. John. Yet when we went a few years back, I was surprised of how many rooms seemed empty, yet there was no availability. My neighbor has a two bedroom, week 24 at St. John. He bought three years ago. He has yet to use that unit. He owns two 3 bedroom weeks also, that he does use. The past two years he used his options for last minute trips to stay at Vistana. Drives me crazy, but I keep my mouth shut.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called again this morning .Waitlisted yet another date.Interesting that it was busy on the lines I was on hold for 10 minutes today was the fiirst time this happened so 6/14 must be a heavely requested date.I asked about Princevllie Studios are availableTheir trying to push Cancun lots of availabilty there.Operator also told me Aruba is not bookable till 2010.

The couple times I called, I felt that they were pushing the Cancun resort hard.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got on the waitlist for June 15. I'm now waitlisted for five different dates for next June.

We can travel anytime early June through end of August as well as one week mid-October, but I'm wondering if it would be too hot and humid during some of those times. We would only do light hiking as we have small children, so we would mostly be hanging around the resort and visiting some beaches.

I'd like to hear from some of you with more experience visiting the Caribbean. Should I try for July/August or just keep my fingers crossed for June? We'd love to visit St John, but not if it is miserably hot.

Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Got on the waitlist for June 15. I'm now waitlisted for five different dates for next June.

We can travel anytime early June through end of August as well as one week mid-October, but I'm wondering if it would be too hot and humid during some of those times. We would only do light hiking as we have small children, so we would mostly be hanging around the resort and visiting some beaches.

I'd like to hear from some of you with more experience visiting the Caribbean. Should I try for July/August or just keep my fingers crossed for June? We'd love to visit St John, but not if it is miserably hot.

Thanks

It is pretty much hot and humid all the time - it is just relative (esp if you are from the West Coast) - June does not differ that much from July/Aug. Check out the monthly averages (highs/lows/rain). It really depends on whether there is a breeze and how close the water is. If the wind comes to a stand still - it will become uncomfortable.

The weather activity picks up from June thru October - with a peak in Sept - whether there is a Tropic Depression/Storm - Hurricane or not. July 4th on STJ is the end of a weeklong festival. After this - the island life becomes slower than it already is - which is as close to going backwards as you can get...
("Still is still moving to me" - Willie Nelson)