• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why is "cost" typically only associated with MF's? What about the money spent to buy?

stthomaslovers

Registration terminated at user's request
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand there are wealthy people and people who pay cash, but you can't discount anyone when you look at it from my point of view...

Whether you paid cash, credit card, balance transferred to 0%, got a Marriott loan or other loan, sold a kidney or what have you, you still paid. Period.

Why does everyone compare MF's to other alternatives of vacationing or other resorts? What about the initial buy-in and closing costs that came along with your ownership? Have you truly broken even on your initial purchase price(s)?

Now, if you buy on eBay or something for a couple thousand, you could say you spent a year or two's worth of "vacation money" but even still, it's dollars spent.

I suppose for the owners who have owned for quite some time are well in the green on their ownership's, but what about us newbies or people adding on to their portfolios? You're paying or have paid for ownership plus your maintenance fees and traveling, why do you only associate the cost of your vacation with the MFs?

loafingcactus

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, and I don't.

I have a spreadsheet showing the cost of my purchase as part of the annual cost (along with mfs, taxes and clubs). I currently have it amortized down to zero after 35 years. Now it seems unlikely that my Hilton will be worth zero, but it tickles me that even with that cost analysis, my Hilton purchase is a good alternative to hotels & restaurants. One of the advantages of youth and a good long period of potential use.

stthomaslovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, and I don't.

I have a spreadsheet showing the cost of my purchase as part of the annual cost (along with mfs, taxes and clubs). I currently have it amortized down to zero after 35 years. Now it seems unlikely that my Hilton will be worth zero, but it tickles me that even with that cost analysis, my Hilton purchase is a good alternative to hotels & restaurants. One of the advantages of youth and a good long period of potential use.

Exactly. I'm 22, girlfriend is 25. We both have ample family and friends to enjoy along with us for many years to come. Regardless of how fast something is paid off, a dollar is still a dollar--in black and white terms. Of course inflation, markets, dollar value and other factors come into play. But when you look at it from a dollar-amount point of view, I don't know how people CAN'T look at it without including initial buy-in costs, II membership fees (although small, still dollars going out), other trading memberships, TUG membership, all of that.

It certainly adds up and definitely does NOT decrease.

cbm32

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am going to vacation I am going to travel and so those costs do not come into play when I consider if Timeshare is a good way to vacation (my portfolio is almost all Wyndham points and so I can choose where I have to travel to). I really dont consider the purchase cost because i bought resale and the cost was so negligible that I feel I have already recouped it after having the points for six years ($600.00 total outlay for almost a million points).

So as of right now I am in a position that all I consider is my MF and although Wyndham has done some things that make my points less valuable than they were to start with, I do enough traveling when reduced points are available or by using RCI Last Call weeks (which I can get because of of my free membership that came with my points) that I am staying in far nicer accomodations that I would otherwise be able to for the same or less money.

I recently had to make a trip to Kansas and stay where there were no timshares available and actually paid more for a crappy little room with a microwave and no refrigerator for more per night than my timeshare stays usually cost.

Now I know that not everyone got into timeshare as I did or is satisfied with Wyndham resorts like I am....but it works for me.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Why does everyone compare MF's to other alternatives of vacationing or other resorts? What about the initial buy-in and closing costs that came along with your ownership? Have you truly broken even on your initial purchase price(s)?

Now, if you buy on eBay or something for a couple thousand, you could say you spent a year or two's worth of "vacation money" but even still, it's dollars spent.

I suppose for the owners who have owned for quite some time are well in the green on their ownership's, but what about us newbies or people adding on to their portfolios? You're paying or have paid for ownership plus your maintenance fees and traveling, why do you only associate the cost of your vacation with the MFs?

I think you answered your question yourself. ;)

It's because most of us did only one developer purchase and it was pre-TUG, so we've more than gotten our moneys worth out of it or it's long gone and replaced by a better trader or already amortized long ago.

I know in my case my only developer purchase was DVC and in the 7 years that I've owned it, I've more than gotten my moneys worth out of it compared to paying Disney rates.

Of course now I know better but it was the best that I knew to do at the time and I don't regret those years. :doh:
Well okay, maybe I do regret them a little, but it's in the past and that is probably the only TS that I do actually factor in my initial buy in when it comes to doing something with my points. I think most DVC owners are more aware of this and therefore do not use their points for anything but DVC because of the heightened awareness of the total cost of owning.

Since my other TS acquisitions were for only from $1 to $2500, it's really not as much of an issue and the costs for purchase were already amortized in a very short time, so now it's just the MF's that we consider. :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Most of the folks who do the cost comparisons to figure out when they'll reach a break-even point or how timesharing compares to hotel/villa rentals DO figure the purchase price into the equation, as far as I've seen on TUG. Not every discussion, though, is about the break-even point or the cost analysis of timesharing v. renting, so not every thread about costs will include the purchase price.

IMO, timesharing cost analysis should include every associated fee, but I look at MF as the most important cost to consider because it's ongoing and ever-increasing. The only thought I give to purchase price, no matter the method, is whether owners' individual vacation budgets can absorb it. Somebody who gets into timesharing by stretching a budget unwisely is doomed from the outset no matter how they purchased or what they paid.

Last edited:

Lansdowne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KoOlina, Sabal Palms, Manor Club, Desert Willow, Kaanapali South, Trust Points
Great post - I guess the simple answer is that timeshares are expensive to acquire and to maintain. These costs force you to make smart choices on how to maximize your particular timeshare. Most years you will find that by paying your MF you have prepaid your vacation and have forced yourself to actually take a vacation - this is a good thing.

My concern is that the process gets more difficult to maximize your return on your investment. The new Marriott program is confusing on paper and by virtue of 3+ presentations some questions have been answered while others remain unclear.

As a new owner you should stay in touch with the TUG - as an older owner I have found it to be invaluable. Good Luck and have great vacations!

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't compare to renting because I wouldnt do it.

I compare to the kinds of hotels I stay in. I think the Timeshare Industry Association claims that someone who normally stays in $100+ hotel rooms would be a target customer for a timeshare. I have family members that are serious ice box and Motel 6 people (if they're not at a truck stop with their camper) and a timeshare probably doesn't compare well for them. I got, ahem, accustomed to a different standard as a business traveler and can't go back, which just makes a timeshare compare that much more favorably.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great post - I guess the simple answer is that timeshares are expensive to acquire and to maintain. These costs force you to make smart choices on how to maximize your particular timeshare. Most years you will find that by paying your MF you have prepaid your vacation and have forced yourself to actually take a vacation - this is a good thing.

My concern is that the process gets more difficult to maximize your return on your investment. The new Marriott program is confusing on paper and by virtue of 3+ presentations some questions have been answered while others remain unclear.

As a new owner you should stay in touch with the TUG - as an older owner I have found it to be invaluable. Good Luck and have great vacations!

Ditto: On the above post, most of the old Tuggers purchased their t/s over ten (10) years ago or more and we have broken even over the years. Plus, we have experience so many outstanding vacations and with so many great memories with family and friends.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason that some of us ignore the purchase price in our calculations and when comparing one property to another is that the entry cost is so close to zero, that it dosent really make a difference...If its not close to zero, Im niot looking at it

for example I just contracted to buy a week for $1 The seller is paying for the closing costs and the resorts transfer fee. mf is $500 a year 2011 fees have been paid and there is a week that I can use this year. I think I can rent that week for $1000

Actually I do consider an amortized purchase price added to annual mf. I want that figure to be something comfortably under market rent. Its just that I have paid so little for what I own that I have ignored purchase price.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Exactly. I'm 22, girlfriend is 25.

Good thread. We haven't seen one of these in a while. Glad to see your looking at all the costs. To do this correctly from a financial point of view you should include your initial outlay of cash. Do a cash flow analysis over a number of years. Then discount it back to year one and see if your NPV is positive. You will have to make assumptions as to the resale value at the end of your period. I would be very conservative in your estimate of the end value, probably use zero. And don't forget to increase your maintenance fees annually.

But more than that I wouldn't buy a timeshare at your age with my girlfriend. Timeshares are a commitment of money and very difficult to sell, especially today. What happens when the girlfriend drops you?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good thread. - snip -
But more than that I wouldn't buy a timeshare at your age with my girlfriend. Timeshares are a commitment of money and very difficult to sell, especially today. What happens when the girlfriend drops you?

I disagree, after the main squeeze drops him - where better to meet the next ex than at a timeshare pool?

If you can pick up a workable timeshare for next to nada in this market and it has reasonable MF's - why the heck not.

Younger really just means "more" years left to vacation.

:D

stthomaslovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I do appreciate and understand the whole "what if" about our relationship, I am quite comfortable with the fact that we're going to end up getting married.

With that said, we looked at this purchase not as a monetary investment, but a social investment. We bought the timeshare because we love enjoying great times with friends and family. If it was just us, we wouldn't have done it, or we would have bought a studio or 1-bedroom. However, we bought a 2-bedroom because it's perfect for both of our families and has enough room to bring a bunch of friends, if we're going that route for a year. Edit to add: next year, LegoLand is either opening or doing a huge renovation in Orlando (didn't get all of the details from my mother) and my little brother is a freak for Legos. I told my mom that we'll either rent our STT week out and get a timeshare in Orlando or trade into Orlando so he can be there for the opening. That, alone, is worth the price we've paid. I'm sure many of you can agree that seeing happy family, especially kids, is like winning the lotto.

Of course, I'm no fortune teller but in my mind, she's the one. I'm pretty sure I'm her "one" as well. Not worried about getting dropped on my ass on the curb with my TV, PlayStation and 10 bucks.

Regardless, I think us buying the timeshare was a GREAT opportunity to treat our friends and family to a great, luxurious vacation. We've told them all, just pay for your airfare and if you show up in St Thomas, so be it. Of course, don't think we're naive. Drinks and some groceries are on them. :D

Last edited:

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's kinda a big assumption to make (that he's making the purchase with the girlfriend)...

Eta: apparently not, lol.

Um, OP, don't do it. In general, for property, I'd say don't do it without a contract. But for property that is difficult to get rid of etc... Don't do it. There's no reason to. You can put it in both your names on your 10th anniversary if you really want.

The only time I've had shared property of any kind was with my first husband. I'm cured.

Last edited:

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started keeping track from day one. I created a spreadsheet that tells me exactly where I am. For example, we paid $21,182 for our Grande Vista unit from Marriott in October, 2010. I paid it off in a year, so I added the $675 in interest I paid on the home equity line to that. Every year since then, I added all the fees I paid; lock off, interval membership, exchange, annual maintenance fees and trade for MR points as they are occurred. I also subtract the value of the trips we took using that week. Before I learned about TripAdvisor, I simply asked at the front desk what the week would have cost. Now, as soon as I get a confirmation, I go to trip advisor to get the rate (don't forget to add in the tax; you might need to wait till you get there to find out what it is). When I've sold some weeks, I add in the net revenue for that week (after paypal, exchange and guest certificate fees). When we use our MR points, I subtract the value of the hotel stay.

As of now, my net cost of Grand Vista is $3,785, and we still have a lock off unit in II (expires May 2012).

The second unit we bought (resale) was Grande Chateau. Our net cost for that unit is down to $13,944, and we have a request pending in II for this year's week. We've only had it since January, 2008, and paid $15,457.

Our most recent purchase was in September, 2010 when we bought the Ren Aruba resale for $3,810. Only use this year's week and our net cost is down to $2,264. However, we traded our 2009 week for a week next summer on the Spanish Mediterranean, and it's too early to get rates for that resort. I'm guessing a July week there has got to be worth most of that $2,200.

That's how I track things and based on how things are going, I'm very pleased!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Good thread. We haven't seen one of these in a while. Glad to see your looking at all the costs. To do this correctly from a financial point of view you should include your initial outlay of cash. Do a cash flow analysis over a number of years. Then discount it back to year one and see if your NPV is positive. You will have to make assumptions as to the resale value at the end of your period. I would be very conservative in your estimate of the end value, probably use zero. And don't forget to increase your maintenance fees annually.

I disagree, after the main squeeze drops him - where better to meet the next ex than at a timeshare pool?

If you can pick up a workable timeshare for next to nada in this market and it has reasonable MF's - why the heck not.

Younger really just means "more" years left to vacation.

:D

I would agree that buying a timeshare with someone that you are not married to is a risk. Just like buying a car or a home. It is generally not advised to get in to these type of financial arrangements with friends, relatives or anyone else unless you are bound by marriage. Of course marriages don't always last forever, so untying all the knots isn't easy no matter what.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We include all costs associated with our timeshare when calculating the cost per night. Even buying resale, I will admit it is hard to justify it over renting. Many people perhaps don't want to include the original purchase price, because if they did, it would be downright ugly.

In our calculation, I have written off the entire purchase price at the very beginning. There is no guaranty I will keep these timeshares for 35 to 40 years, so why amortize it out that far. They are worth close to zero today if I tried to sell them now, so I use the mark-to-market philosophy. The initial purchase price is included in all calculations.

Amounts we include in the calculation:
Destinations Club Enrollment
Grande Vista - Maintenance Fee
Grande Vista - Purchase Closing Cost
Grande Vista - Purchase Price
Harbour Lake - Maintenance Fee
Harbour Lake - Purchase Closing Cost
Harbour Lake - Purchase Price
II Annual Fee
II Exchange Fees
II Getaways
Lock Off Fees
TUG Fee

Based on our numbers and short years owning a timeshare. Our cost per night is $241.43/night. That is a lot of money. In many cases of course we are staying in 2BR luxury accommodations. Now that we are enrolled in DC, we won't have nearly as many II fees so that number will slowly go down a little over the years, but it will take a while to break even when comparing to renting.

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
It matters not IMO whether you use a sophisticated spreadsheet calculation or if you're quantifying a "break even" point (whatever that is) the end result will be the same. Whenever you attempt to quantify your timeshare purchase you will be disappointed.

The disappointment may be in the return of capital if you rent your timeshare or it may be in the thought of paying maintenance assessments for the rest of your life. It could be in the thought that you paid too much when you see the resale prices on ebay. It could also be the throught that you made a hasty decision to buy and you now have buyer's remorse because you could have invested the money in something that offers a better return. The so-called "opportunity cost".

One thing to ask youself if you are trying to justify your purchase decision is "what's the point of all of this?". Most of us bought a timeshare for the usage of it. It is a lifestyle decision that has a differing intangible value to each of us. If you look at it that way you'll feel a lot better about it.

stthomaslovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks so much to the people who shared their very personal details. That means a lot to me and has helped me develop a plan of attack for valuing our timeshare. While I had similar ideas, I just wasn't quite sure how to put them on "paper."

Interesting replies, to say the least. Now, let me clear a few things up...

1) We already BOUGHT our STT 2-br Gold week so the whole "don't buy with your girlfriend" thing is out the window.

2) While a lot of you think we're young and naive (which is very clear from some replies) well my response to you is...you're old and naive. No hard feelings, but keep your judgments to yourselves, if you will. I'd explain myself further but quite frankly, while I do value everyone's opinion, I shouldn't have to explain our relationship to anyone. Nor should I have to explain our decisions to anyone, especially financial ones. Again, no hard feelings, but it seems like some of you have veered WAY off course from what my original posed question was. Keep thinking that we'll break up and have to "untie the knots" and all of that. It ain't happenin'. On this issue--I'll stop here.

3) What's with the negativity? This is the first post where I've seen so much of it. Talking about buyers remorse and the like? Really? This thread has NOTHING to do with buyers remorse. It was a plain and simple, face value question. Which, by a couple replies, seems like some of you are in denial. I'm a factual person, period. "It is what it is," is my motto. I HAVE to calculate in every single penny spent (well, maybe not at the penny-level, but you get my point) otherwise I'd just be lying to myself. Wake up and smell the roses...You spent what you spent and if you don't consider every dollar, you're in denial. That's my opinion and I think, after what I've read, I deserve to voice it.

I know those "points" above may be a bit harsh or smart-assy, but they're the truth. Perhaps my impression of the community here was completely wrong. However, I hope that's not the case.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I don't worry about purchase price/closing costs because for our three t/s - soon to be four - those costs have amounted to less than $1000. (And one unit came with two banked weeks). We're not rich (which is why we've had to wait to buy resales) but that amount of money just doesn't make me get too excited anymore. Especially for four timeshares. I noticed that you mentioned "valuing your timeshare". Now that's a crapshoot, but ebay is a pretty good barometer on what the open market thinks about the value. But there is also perceived value which varies from owner to owner.

Btw -"social investment" love that idea. Nice way to state it - I think it sums of the reason that most people purchase timeshares.

Not every financial decision that you make over the course of 30 - 40 years is going to be a winner. But you just learn from your mistakes and carry on. If some people don't count their initial investment in the calculation of their cost, so be it. I don't think they necessarily thought a timeshare purchase was a fabulous financial investment to begin with, but probably were thinking social investment when they purchased. Still, knowing that the underlying value of the timeshare has fallen substantially is not one of those warm fuzzy decisions that you wish to focus on. So you chalk that one up to experience, and figure out the best way to maximize your "social investment". That's my guess as to why some people don't include it in the calculation of their cost. But as noted by some of the replies in this thread, many people do include the purchase price in their calculations.

It's good that you are being so analytical in your decision process. I think that it is a lot easier to to that in today's market - a robust resale market, record low prices, economic downturn that has caused many people to dump their timeshares, and easily obtained information on the internet - to me it is much easier to be analytical about the purchase decision in 2011 vs earlier years, even in 2006 when we went to our first and last t/s presentation and bought (then rescinded) a WKORV - EOY Island view for $25,000. :eek:

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what you may be failing to see is that not everyone is in the same situation stt. A few years back we reached the break even point from our purchase. When we bought in Aruba in 2000( 2 -1 bdrm Ocean Club weeks for I think $9500 per week) we had already been going annually for about 5 years. We always stayed at the Hyatt Resort, where we were paying between $250 and $300 nightly and the same type of room(of course we have much more space with the timeshare) we were staying in(which we'd still be paying for now) is over $500 nightly(and we go for over 2 weeks). We had thought it would have taken 7 years to break even(and by break even I mean if we sold the timeshare for 0 we have no loss)...I think it took 8...the original cost is no longer in our equation and we make money from my perspective even with the maintenance fees climbing. Im not even factoring in the savings by 2 getaway purchases over the years and a number of MAR discounts including Ko -Olina twice.

This is the first year we wont be going to Aruba in many years:( because of our work schedules...we've only missed one other since we began but Im planning on making the best of a bad situation...lol...we'll hopefully use our weeks instead in Hawaii in 2013 where we normally spend $400-$700 per night for our rooms...so again we're making $ :)

Last edited:

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
I do consider the costs of my purchase as a part of the overall costs of my vacation. Overall, I am still quite happy with my purchase. It does annoy me that rentals are only a couple of $/£100's more than the MF, but they are rarely available during the school vacations when we want to go.

We own at Disneyland Paris. Before we bought timeshare, we would stay at the Hotel New York (often $250-$300 per adult per night) or the Disneyland Hotel (in summer can be $750 per adult per night). Non timeshare vacations often will be at a 4 or 5 star hotel which is $225 - $400 a night for a family room in Europe dependent on when and where. I live in hotels for Business, so an economy hotel is not my choice unless it is literly overnight while driving.

For less than the cost of these hotels, we get a full 2 bedroom villa. To me, that makes sense. Sure, we can do things cheaper (e.g. our cottage overllooking Loch Ness was $1200 in Easter 2010), but not always. We know the quality of MVCI and figured by year 10 on our balance sheet the product will be cost neutral and the savings begin.

Now I am annoyed that since the kids started school it is harder to trade on Interval, and DVC dropped out of Interval, that annoys the hell out of me.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Edit to add: next year, LegoLand is either opening or doing a huge renovation in Orlando (didn't get all of the details from my mother) and my little brother is a freak for Legos. I told my mom that we'll either rent our STT week out and get a timeshare in Orlando or trade into Orlando so he can be there for the opening. That, alone, is worth the price we've paid. I'm sure many of you can agree that seeing happy family, especially kids, is like winning the lotto.

My recommendation would be to buy a getaway for Orlando and then still use your FC week as you wish. Orlando getaways are cheap, even the Marriott's. We don't trade in to Orlando even with our Orlando weeks. It is almost always more cost effective to buy a getaway from II

First off, thanks so much to the people who shared their very personal details. That means a lot to me and has helped me develop a plan of attack for valuing our timeshare. While I had similar ideas, I just wasn't quite sure how to put them on "paper."

Interesting replies, to say the least. Now, let me clear a few things up...

1) We already BOUGHT our STT 2-br Gold week so the whole "don't buy with your girlfriend" thing is out the window.

2) While a lot of you think we're young and naive (which is very clear from some replies) well my response to you is...you're old and naive. No hard feelings, but keep your judgments to yourselves, if you will. I'd explain myself further but quite frankly, while I do value everyone's opinion, I shouldn't have to explain our relationship to anyone. Nor should I have to explain our decisions to anyone, especially financial ones. Again, no hard feelings, but it seems like some of you have veered WAY off course from what my original posed question was. Keep thinking that we'll break up and have to "untie the knots" and all of that. It ain't happenin'. On this issue--I'll stop here.

3) What's with the negativity? This is the first post where I've seen so much of it. Talking about buyers remorse and the like? Really? This thread has NOTHING to do with buyers remorse. It was a plain and simple, face value question. Which, by a couple replies, seems like some of you are in denial. I'm a factual person, period. "It is what it is," is my motto. I HAVE to calculate in every single penny spent (well, maybe not at the penny-level, but you get my point) otherwise I'd just be lying to myself. Wake up and smell the roses...You spent what you spent and if you don't consider every dollar, you're in denial. That's my opinion and I think, after what I've read, I deserve to voice it.

I know those "points" above may be a bit harsh or smart-assy, but they're the truth. Perhaps my impression of the community here was completely wrong. However, I hope that's not the case.

I think you are being a little over sensitive here. While there may have been a few posts directed at your specific situation, I think for the most part, many are generalizations for the topic being discussed. I think the "buyers remorse" response fits this exactly. It wasn't directed specifically to you, I saw it more as a realized response overall.

No one here was/is personally attacking or judging you. You need to try not to take this so personally. Remember, you are posting on an open internet forum. You will get varying opinions from many people with vastly different points of view than your own. I don't see anyone here referring to you as young and naive. I really don't understand the need to lash out at those whose opinions may not agree with your own.

We also bought our timeshares while we were (are?) fairly young, at least compared to the average purchaser. Being able to average the purchase price and other costs over a 35+ year period will bring our nightly/yearly costs down.

Of course as others have said, there are a lot of intangibles that come with timeshare ownership. Being able to bring friends and family along is one of those. Having the space to comfortably spread out is priceless. It seems this is one of the reasons you bought. While I also like to analyze our ownership and see how it compares to other vacation costs/types, not everyone is like you or I. Some people are just happy with what they own, what it costs is rarely given a second thought. They don't care to, want to, or bother to calculate and compare their costs to renting. That is their decision, if they are happy with their purchase, who are we to judge.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I'm 22, girlfriend is 25.
Nice to see some young blood here. You will certainly add a fresh perspective to the discussions. We "mature" folks are sometimes known to offer advice (wanted or not) - even to people who are not 22 years old. Don't take it too personally though. I think the same advice would have been given (about not buying joint property when unmarried) even if you had not disclosed your age.

Perhaps my impression of the community here was completely wrong. However, I hope that's not the case.
I see you joined tugbbs in May and have been an active contributor. Hope to see your continued comments on this forum.

Last edited:

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand there are wealthy people and people who pay cash, but you can't discount anyone when you look at it from my point of view...

Whether you paid cash, credit card, balance transferred to 0%, got a Marriott loan or other loan, sold a kidney or what have you, you still paid. Period.

Like many others, we have a spreadsheet - we like to see where money goes. But - let's be REALLY Scrooge-like about this - technically aren't ALL vacations a *waste of money*?? OOh - you could just pile your money up, up, or donate it to the Gummint - REALLY???? Since we bought our first place in 2004 (knowing that DH was retiring early in 2005) we are now motivated and excited each year about finding a cool place to travel to! In the past, "booking a vacation" was a long and tedious process - lots of thinking and decisions; but now, we are motivated every year to find a place early - and we all know, that anticipation is more than half the fun!

Like you, we have been together since we were 22 - earlier, if you count going to college together. Of course, back in 1973, people got married more often in that situation. Talk about old-fashioned legal things - I recall insisting that my credit card had MY name on it - not MRS. So-and-so - and getting incredible flack!!! Times change, and so do the markers of a relationship; my son (31) and his now-wife have also been together since college - once you find THE ONE - whether it is Mr Right, or Mr. Right-Now - you're good. So you bought something together - fine. It USED to be that marriage made the whole inheritance/legal/property thing easier - but laws are changing all the time, so as long as you did the legal stuff with your purchase, you are OK. Of course, some geriatric retired attorney is going to write in and tell me I am wrong - wouldn't be the first time.

You cannot put a dollar amount on a good time, and great memories - or friendships. If you are financially good with this, then enjoy yourselves. You DO know that these have rotten resale value - but that is not the point. And I always joked that with all the marriages that go bad now, the marriage license should be like a provisional Driver's License; it does not become permanent until you sign papers to buy property together!

Do the money math, enjoy your good times, and realize that us Raisins LOVE to give lots of advice - that does not mean you have to listen to it all. Heck, when our OWN kids do not listen, we have the urge to advise OTHERS! As one of my profs used to say - be a sieve, not a bucket. Enjoy St. Thomas.