• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida Tolls

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be driving from Orlando to Miami and someone mentioned that we would encounter a lot of cash-less toll roads and that we should stop somewhere get a SunPass. We will be renting from Alamo.

Can anyone local confirm this?

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be driving from Orlando to Miami and someone mentioned that we would encounter a lot of cash-less toll roads and that we should stop somewhere get a SunPass. We will be renting from Alamo.

i bought one and have never regreted it. we bring it down with us everytime we visit florida. if its your own car the sticker would do its basically free. pay x and get x dollar in credit.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In Central Florida (Orlando) and North Florida, the Turnpike and toll-roads have toll plazas with at least one cash-lane -- either staffed or with a basket for coins. There are a few residential/industrial exits not used by tourists that are marked "SunPass only."

If you plan to visit Florida often, then yes, a SunPass makes sense. You pay for the pass and deposit $$ into a prepaid toll account ($10 min) that gets you a small discount. You can order one that is either attached permanently or moveable from car-to-car (like if you're renting) online at https://www.sunpass.com/purchase

If you do not plan to visit Florida frequently, just invest in a roll or two of quarters, and don't take exits marked "SunPass only."

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought one at publix for $20 but did not come with a balance. Is that the going price?

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alamo rents the pass for $19.95 then charges your credit card for the tolls when they are reported to the company. They are in all of Alamo's rental vehicles.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just bought one at publix for $20 but did not come with a balance. Is that the going price?

$20 is the standard price for a moveable pass. Permanent stickers are ~$5.00. It has instructions on activating (registering) your pass. This creates an online account where you can track your balance, see tolls deducted, and replenish your account (automatically and manually).

To activate: https://www.sunpass.com/displayActivateTransponderAgreement They ask you to identify the vehicle + tag on which it will be used. You'll need to update that whenever you move it to another vehicle or your tag changes... (which reminds me!)

Associating the tag lets you pass under the newer toll-by-plate gantries without slowing down. They're mostly in South Florida, but a few have cropped up in Orlando. It is possible to set up a toll-by-plate account w/o SunPass, but those tolls are higher. See: https://www.tollbyplate.com/index

WPTV-Sunpass_20130721141926_640_480.JPG

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

We do hit Florida 3-4 times per year. But, we usually just go from MCO to Orlando area so I just pay cash at the 2 tolls that we pass through and that is fine with me

Since this is a longer trip on unfamiliar roads I wasn't sure if there was a big benefit. Looking at mapquest, it appears we will be on 95 South a good portion of the time.

A few years ago I ventured out and found myself 1/2 way down a ramp that was sunpass only so I got a $20 charge from the rental company.

I was a bit confused reading some of the info. I was thinking that some of the major highway tolls were also unattended. Guess what I need to do is ensure that I won't come across one of those unattended tolls and as someone suggested, bring a roll of quarters!

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cashless

We did this trip in January and took lots of coins BUT when going to Miami there is one or two maybe tolls that will NOT take cash....so I would look into the Sun Pass...:)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Down south here the booths are gone.
No more cash lines, it's all toll by plate or sunpass.:annoyed:
There is a "convenience" fee to use the toll by plate plus the higher tolls.

You can take the turnpike to Jupiter and get off and then take I-95 from there.
The two roads meet up there.
That's what I do to save on tolls since I live next to I-95 in Miami and the turnpike
will leave you in the western suburbs if you stay on it down to Miami.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We did this trip in January and took lots of coins BUT when going to Miami there is one or two maybe tolls that will NOT take cash....so I would look into the Sun Pass...:)

I've spent a fortune on rental car charges for tolls in Miami. A charge of more than $85 hit my credit card this week. I questioned it since I've never had one that high for a single week before and I typically just go through the toll-plate locations a few times per visit.

I'm going to stop using Thrifty Rental there because they have a higher per day charge for managing the toll-plate charges than Hertz or Enterprise.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've spent a fortune on rental car charges for tolls in Miami. A charge of more than $85 hit my credit card this week. I questioned it since I've never had one that high for a single week before and I typically just go through the toll-plate locations a few times per visit. I'm going to stop using Thrifty Rental there because they have a higher per day charge for managing the toll-plate charges than Hertz or Enterprise.

Why not invest in a moveable SunPass transponder, and decline rental agency service?
You'll need to register the tag # for toll by plate coverage.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've started doing this with zip car. Even though they have an actual toll no surcharge policy. O can usually get huge hov discounts on the Lincoln tunnel and gwb with my own pass

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've spent a fortune on rental car charges for tolls in Miami. A charge of more than $85 hit my credit card this week. I questioned it since I've never had one that high for a single week before and I typically just go through the toll-plate locations a few times per visit.

I'm going to stop using Thrifty Rental there because they have a higher per day charge for managing the toll-plate charges than Hertz or Enterprise.

Sheila

Did you accidentally drive in the Express lanes during rush hour 8 times at $10 per entrance?

I am wondering where the heck you were driving that there were so many tolls. I live in South Florida and maybe spend that much every 3 months.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Why not invest in a moveable SunPass transponder, and decline rental agency service?
You'll need to register the tag # for toll by plate coverage.

This is business travel and would complicate my travel vouchers unnecessarily.

I hope I'm out of Miami for now. I really hate it down there.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you accidentally drive in the Express lanes during rush hour 8 times at $10 per entrance?

I am wondering where the heck you were driving that there were so many tolls. I live in South Florida and maybe spend that much every 3 months.

I've ask for a better accounting, because I have no idea how I accumulated that much. They also charged a $105 admin fee. None of the Thrifty rental agreements I've read allowed for more than $15 per day and I was only there five days. I'm away from the office and will have to look for the rental agreement from six weeks ago. Since I'm Blue Chip, I never actually sign anything at rental time.

I made it a point to stay out of Express Lanes, so I'm sure that wasn't it.

Reminds me of the time I was in Dallas and got charged with tolls from Florida. Since I only drove about 50 miles all week in Dallas, it didn't take much to convince them I didn't drive to Florida and to get that error resolved. It seems to be taking longer to fix this probable error and will definitely discourage my renting from Thrifty again. I've had other issues with them as well through the years, but my company prefers I take the cheapest available rate for each rental.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It seems to be taking longer to fix this probable error and will definitely discourage my renting from Thrifty again. I've had other issues with them as well through the years...

I, for one, will not rent from Thrifty again. In my experience, you "pay" for their low rates by risking fraud. I would not be surprised if the billing mistake in your case wasn't deliberate, and you were not supposed to notice. My last time, the Thrifty agency in LV claimed I scratched up a car they gave me at night. Luckily, I had saved a copy of the scratch-sheet I filled out at the time of the rental and they backed down, eventually, but I have to wonder how much $$ they made off that car.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've ask for a better accounting, because I have no idea how I accumulated that much. They also charged a $105 admin fee. None of the Thrifty rental agreements I've read allowed for more than $15 per day and I was only there five days. I'm away from the office and will have to look for the rental agreement from six weeks ago. Since I'm Blue Chip, I never actually sign anything at rental time.

I made it a point to stay out of Express Lanes, so I'm sure that wasn't it.

Reminds me of the time I was in Dallas and got charged with tolls from Florida. Since I only drove about 50 miles all week in Dallas, it didn't take much to convince them I didn't drive to Florida and to get that error resolved. It seems to be taking longer to fix this probable error and will definitely discourage my renting from Thrifty again. I've had other issues with them as well through the years, but my company prefers I take the cheapest available rate for each rental.

Sheila

I have had really good experiences with Hertz and National. Avis was hit and miss when I was forced to use them. I used to rent cars every other week for work reasons.... Whenever I have an option, I usually pick Hertz.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the link that explains the Sunpass on rentals. https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar We are traveling Miami to Orlando so I am printing this off to make sure I don't get overcharged . I am also going to keep track of all the toll booths we go through.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I now know why the Thriftey was so expensive:

See below at sunpass site. Every toll has a $15 fee...... that is why Thrifty sux

If not enrolled at time of reservation or at the rental counter, and user incurred toll charges by utilizing a dedicated or express lane, a $15.00 administrative fee + toll is assessed for each infraction to a maximum fee of $105.00. These fees and tolls are charged separately after the completion of the rental.

Hertz is $5/Day admin fee.... max of $25/Month

Avis is $4/Day admin fee max of $17/Month.

None of that thriftey shady business.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Toll-by-Plate sign I usually passed said there was a $1 extra charge for Toll-by-Plate. My Hertz toll service charge for another week was reasonable. Definitely better to pay a little extra for the rental to avoid crazy toll fees.

Sheila

Canuck40

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes! Definitely get a sunpass, or rent a car that has it included.

Sent from my A3-A10 using Tapatalk

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
CAUTION

This past May I purchased the short term (stick on) pass and put enough money on it. We drove from Atlanta all the way to the Keys. Everything worked fine until I got home and received a bill for over $37.00.

I forgot to remove the sticker when returning the renta. The next renter was able to use the sticker for their tolls. I was told by the Sunpass people that I am responsible for the money & it will go to a collection agency. I just received the notice from the collectors.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE STICKER

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I forgot to remove the sticker when returning the rental. The next renter was able to use the sticker for their tolls.

Also remove the sticker if you are going to sell the vehicle, so your buyer don't get it.

For rental cars, it makes more sense to pay for the big, movable transponder that you can keep in a drawer for the next trip -- just remember to change the tag # on the account.

This reminds me, I need to leave my Executor instructions to cancel my Sunpass, when it comes to closing my accounts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Also remove the sticker if you are going to sell the vehicle, so your buyer don't get it.

For rental cars, it makes more sense to pay for the big, movable transponder that you can keep in a drawer for the next trip -- just remember to change the tag # on the account.

This reminds me, I need to leave my Executor instructions to cancel my Sunpass, when it comes to closing my accounts.

The good thing about Sunpass is that you can set rental cars up with specific start and stop dates/times. So once it expires, you don't need to worry about the next renter using your account. Though that means you still have to remove the transponder from the vehicle.

ibcnu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I wouldn't get Sunpass for Orlando, but definitely for the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area. There are Sunpass only roads and you don't know that they are SP only until you're pulling onto the highway.