• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hidden cameras reveal airport workers stealing from luggage

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't check luggage, they don't get a crack at your bags. Duh!

geekette

Reaction score
I wish I were surprised. I'm not. Also not surprised to find some TSA agents flip a switch to get to pat down the attractive pax.

Flying gets worse and worse.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
FWIW....

TSA is actively running STING operations in major airports across the country. They are specifically targeting the theft of easily pilfer able items such as watches, loose cash and ipads etc....

To date, they have had some success.

Smaller airports also run theft operations (like this local one in Miami) to target known 'missing items.'

Still, it's a problem.

I wouldn't try leaving my ipad on the bed in the hotel either. Not a great challenge.

Just sayin; not everyone is a thief, but those who are sure give it a bad name.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When the TSA was first being staffed ... YEARS AGO ...My father's lawyer applied to become a TSA employee screening people at the airport. She was smart, good lawyer as a solo lawyer with her office, husband and about around 40 .. I thought, WHY? Just an hourly job?

6 months later, she applied and got a lawyer's job within the Federal Government ... easier to transfer around the Federal system than to apply for ANY job ... job was never open to outside applicants.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My husband (stupidly) put his iPod in his suitcase--and YEP, it was stolen by TSA.:(
Or baggage handlers or? You don't want to know what goes on between TSA and the downstream baggage claim. Just sayin....

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the punishments were better then maybe this would not be such a big problem. Saying they were punished to the fullest extent of the law is a joke.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
If you don't check luggage, they don't get a crack at your bags. Duh!

Not so easy when you're flying long haul for two weeks in the sun with a couple of kids in tow ;)

This move towards cheaper fares for taking hand luggage only is a backward step in my opinion. More and more people are cramming their belongings into increasingly larger bags and there simply isn't sufficient space in the overhead bins to accommodate it all. I've lost count of the number of times my flight is delayed because the cabin crew are desperately trying to find somewhere to cram luggage in, coats, bags etc are being carelessly squashed and crushed by people forcing these 'mini' suitcases in. It drives me mad.

Is it really worth the £10 or £20 saving when you have to travel with the bare minimum and worry about whether you'll find space for your case? Is that 15 minute wait at the carousel to collect your luggage really that arduous?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
In all seriousness:

I follow these general rules when I travel.

1. Don't check luggage unless absolutely necessary.
  2. If you do check luggage, don't check easy to steal, valuable items (Rolex, Ipad, Camera, Money, Gold etc...)
  3. When going thru security, don't loose site of your bags/items.
  4. When going thru security, put your high dollar items (computer watch ipad etc...) thru in the last bin--and don't go thru until you see the bin enter the machine and keep going. You'd be suprised how many people dump their valuables first and then spend 10 minutes taking off belts, keys, shoes etc.... while their valuables sit at the end of the system unattended.
  5. Allow yourself enough time so that you don't become rushed and leave things behind. Especially when leaving the airplane or checkpoint.
  6. Never leave your bags unattended.
If you follow these rules, the odds that your goods will be nabbed are drastically reduced.

If you go thru security and leave without noticing that your Rolex/Ipad is gone....maybe you need to not travel with your Rolex/Ipad.

BTW: All (US) Airport security checkpoints are now on CCTV. If there is something wrong--they will be able to check. You'd be suprised how many passengers will avail themselves of a 'gift' in the next rubber bin. Watch your items!!!! :annoyed:

Just my suggestions for what its worth. Sad that we have to do this, but that's the way it is.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ya they also take naps in the airplanes cargo area, then want out when the flight takes off! :mad:

geekette

Reaction score
Not so easy when you're flying long haul for two weeks in the sun with a couple of kids in tow ;)

This move towards cheaper fares for taking hand luggage only is a backward step in my opinion. More and more people are cramming their belongings into increasingly larger bags and there simply isn't sufficient space in the overhead bins to accommodate it all. I've lost count of the number of times my flight is delayed because the cabin crew are desperately trying to find somewhere to cram luggage in, coats, bags etc are being carelessly squashed and crushed by people forcing these 'mini' suitcases in. It drives me mad.

Is it really worth the £10 or £20 saving when you have to travel with the bare minimum and worry about whether you'll find space for your case? Is that 15 minute wait at the carousel to collect your luggage really that arduous?

I'm more concerned about how the overhead bins were never made for the seriously heavy crap being shoved in. When grommets start popping, I'm deplaning.

I also have a pet peeve with the giant "carry on" luggage. If I have to check my too-big-to-carry-on piece, and pay for the privilege, why does the next guy get to save the fee and "gate check" free? that's crap. Gate check should be double the fee.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be in favor of allowing people with out bags in the carry on bins to deplane first. At least those in aisle seats. It is crowded and can be dangerous when people start opening up the overhead bins.

Also would prefer 1 checked bag for free. I mostly fly an airline that allows two checked bags free and have 2 credit cards that offers it for other airlines.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Unfortunately, passengers only comply when they want to. (some).

Ever seen the 'orderly' boarding process?

Sad, but planes are the new buses. At least we all get a seat.

Probably the best suggestion I've heard in a while: strictly enforce the carry-on rules at the check points.

I'm all for allowing 1 checked bag. The reason they don't? They make a fortune on cargo.

good discussion though....