• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why you can't get cheap seats as easily.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No- can't read it. What's the gist of it?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, I wasn't sure. It opened for me but I do have a subscription.

Airlines are expanding first and business class seating, reducing economy seating and removing bigger airplanes from Domestic routes and substituting smaller ones.

As an example, 767, 757, MD-11 aircraft are replaced by 737 aircraft on domestic routes. Also, economy seats are reduced by ~30% on some transcontinental routes.

Even with fewer seats, revenue is higher because of the big difference between first/biz ticket price and economy.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, this doesn't surprise me at all. Been happening for many years. As far as I am concerned flying has gotten worse and worse for the average person, which is why I have no desire to fly anywhere soon. Our last flight a number of years ago to Scotland did it for me. I felt like I was in a sardine can. I generally am not claustrophobic, but I was on that flight. We felt squished into the seats and when we stood up our heads practically hit the ceiling in the aisles. This was a United Airlines flight.

Anyway- I have a number of places on my list to visit both in and out of the country, but I keep putting off booking anything because of this. The whole experience between getting to the airport and that whole process when you are there, the waiting, delays, cancellations, the fees. Then the flight itself etc. - ugh! Thank goodness our timeshares our drive-to!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Everything is becoming tighter and smaller. I flew BA business to Dallas a couple of weeks ago, the flight out was on an older 747 with the upper deck. There was plenty of room to spread out and sleep however the return flight was on a newer plane with the newer decor. This time the seat was smaller and harder, very difficult to get comfortable and sleep due to the contours of the seat.

The same goes for internal and short haul flights. Internal business class seats are identical to economy ones, no extra legroom, no middle seat used as a spacer, the only difference is the food and wine served which certainly isn't enough to justify the extra cost. Short haul business still has the central spacer but the legroom is the same. Coming back from Malaga in economy last Friday was the most uncomfortable flight I've experienced with BA and I was in an exit seat. My neighbour next to me informed me that AA appear to be bucking the trend for smaller seats, at least where business is concerned, by introducing the largest business class beds in order to accommodate the average expanding waistline. I've previously avoided AA due to previous poor experiences with US carriers however as they're part of the One World Alliance I may start considering them for future flights.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And we actually pay good money for this torture? Not me anymore unless things change for the better BIGTIME! They should be paying us at this rate.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest just announced a decision to widen their economy seats - can you say counter the culture!

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coming back from Malaga in economy last Friday was the most uncomfortable flight I've experienced with BA and I was in an exit seat.

I flew BA from Sarajevo (or was it Munich - I don't remember) to London some years back and it was the smallest airline seat I have ever been in (middle seat in economy section). I will never fly them again.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I flew BA from Sarajevo (or was it Munich - I don't remember) to London some years back and it was the smallest airline seat I have ever been in (middle seat in economy section). I will never fly them again.

They really are going downhill. Once my silver status expires I'm in no hurry to try and maintain it. We're flying Virgin to Miami this year, the price was similar to BA but the product is better. The only reason BA does so well is because of its network, I really do prefer flying direct and often BA is the only choice for the less popular routes plus the lounges at Heathrow and Gatwick are some of the best.

If the US carriers are starting to increase the room in their seats then I may be willing to accept the surly service in return for a comfier flight.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
They really are going downhill. Once my silver status expires I'm in no hurry to try and maintain it. We're flying Virgin to Miami this year, the price was similar to BA but the product is better. The only reason BA does so well is because of its network, I really do prefer flying direct and often BA is the only choice for the less popular routes plus the lounges at Heathrow and Gatwick are some of the best.

If the US carriers are starting to increase the room in their seats then I may be willing to accept the surly service in return for a comfier flight.

What Airline is BA that everyone is referencing?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What Airline is BA that everyone is referencing?

There's another not so polite name some use for British Airways and it starts with Bloody Ars......;)

Cheers

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
AA might be doing better for business class but their economy class post buyout by USAirways stinks. Unless we're in the exit row they're currently one of our last choices......as if there really is much of a choice for us anymore. Since SWA's has come to town they've moved to the top of our list for domestic flights, but, their routing sometimes leave much to be desired from our hometown airport.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our son flew Virgin from Boston for business recently across the country for one leg and he said it was great. All the other flights he took were terrible.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Our son flew Virgin from Boston for business recently across the country for one leg and he said it was great. All the other flights he took were terrible.

Virgin is my favorite domestic carrier. They just don't have the routes I need all the time...and I won't pay a lot more to fly them, either. I need LAX-PDX soon and Virgin offers it but only with a stop...which I also won't do. Cheaper and nonstop on other carriers. But when I can fly them, I'm almost always happier at the end of day.

Sent from my iPad

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virgin is my favorite domestic carrier. They just don't have the routes I need all the time...and I won't pay a lot more to fly them, either. I need LAX-PDX soon and Virgin offers it but only with a stop...which I also won't do.

Agree with you Ken. Virgin used to have directs flights between PDX-LAX, and it was our favorite among domestic carriers. Alas, they no longer have this direct route and you now have to layover in San Francisco -- very inconvenient! So, unfortunately, we stopped flying with them to/from Southern California.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'm given a cheap enough flight, I'm willing to fly standing up all the way from JFK to Heathrow/Paris.
Ryanair and Spirit, pay attention! :)

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Southwest just announced a decision to widen their economy seats - can you say counter the culture!

This is good news, but only on new deliveries from Boeing. They are not retrofitting the existing fleet with the new seats. The evolve seating installed 2 or 3 years ago is awful IMHO. There were three good seats in the exit row. Now one-barely-that has a solid wall separating from seat next door. The remaining seats are narrow and with legroom comparable to other seating. I do like that legacy airlines have added E+.

There isn't much wide body service in the US. Some transcons or hub to hub. Thats about it. In Thailand, all Thai Airways has is wide bodies. Even for their 45 minute intracountry flights you might get a 747. The LCC's do have narrow bodies.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's another not so polite name some use for British Airways and it starts with Bloody Ars......;)

Cheers
Bloody Awful. Is the more polite version. Said with an upper class British accent.
A friend of mine would prefer an upgrade to their automatons capabilities. He just got an awful diversion to hang out on the tarmac in the middle of nowhere as Denver was fogged in and swa does not spec advanced aautoland so had to divert.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
As much as I don't like driving anywhere over 8 hours for a vacation, when you consider it takes at least 1 1/2 hours for us to get to the airport. (we srping for a car service) We have to be there 2 hours ahead of time (so that is 3 hours right there). Then- you have to hope there are no delays. Then, the whole rotten experience, including at least one stop and a maybe a layover. Then, getting out of the airport- getting your rental car and traveling to your destination. Heck- I just might reconsider a longer drive to a vacation destination in the future.

Asaph

Reaction score
I have personally noticed this thing. I find it weird too because the patricians should be based on facilities that the airlines provides to their passenger. Because that is the most necessary part of it.